User avatar

JohnLocke1

John Locke

  • Serious Discussion and Debate Re: A Question of Ethics

    Which is, indeed, an absolutist point of view.

    May 11, 2014
  • Writing Tips Re: Emotion Through Dialogue

    Like, if your character usually uses very concise, clear wording, uses their hands minimally, and maintains eye contact, and is one day stuttering and fumbling for words, and using their ...

    May 10, 2014
  • Serious Discussion and Debate Re: A Question of Ethics

    Right and wrong do by no means necessarily equate to what is 'good' and what is 'evil'. One person could be performing an atrocity in which they themselves deem 'bad' ...

    May 10, 2014
  • Serious Discussion and Debate Re: A Question of Ethics

    Isn't murder murder?

    May 10, 2014
  • Welcome Mat Re: Hi :)

    Welcome to YWS, my friend! Trust me, you will love it here.

    May 10, 2014
  • Fiction Discussion Re: Need help with a plot

    I put it there for you, my friend!

    May 10, 2014
  • Fiction Discussion Re: Need help with a plot

    Dealing with watches and time? Perhaps an aspect of being able to see or interpret the future. Being set during World War 2, that could yield interesting results. Imagine if, ...

    May 10, 2014
  • Serious Discussion and Debate Re: Gay rights? (cont)

    I think we put far too much value on generalized labels. A friend of mine once wrote a detailed, eye-opening paper on why humans have such a need to place ...

    May 10, 2014
  • Research Re: civil war?

    If you are going to create a universe where the South wins the Civil War, I would be particular about how exactly they defeated the North. Do not gloss over ...

    May 10, 2014
  • Research Archives Re: I'm drowning in ideas... Help!

    Okay, so I have a bit of a problem here. I have several novel ideas, and I don’t know what to do with them. Should I try to focus on ...

    May 10, 2014
  • Writing Tips Re: Emotion Through Dialogue

    I tend to avoid allowing my characters to speak of their emotions. For some reason, it seems unnatural. As well, if they are going to speak of their emotions, it ...

    May 9, 2014
  • Writing Tips Re: Emotion Through Dialogue

    Maybe not mimic real life dialogue, but characters don't simply walk around saying what they feel. It can reflect what they feel, certainly. But I think that the bulk of ...

    May 9, 2014
  • Writing Tips Re: Emotion Through Dialogue

    I usually don't convey emotion in dialogue. Because, as humans, we rarely use our language to show deep emotion. It is usually internal.

    May 9, 2014
  • Serious Discussion and Debate Re: A Question of Ethics

    I understand your point, but try to look at it from an ethical standpoint. You mentioned conclusions, which are certainly subjective. However, look at specific actions. Take murder: is one ...

    May 9, 2014
  • Media Reviews Re: What is the Best Movie you have seen...

    I have many favorite movies, but I think I shall pick Amadeus. This film is beautiful on so many levels. First, the score is absolutely brilliant. A combination of Mozart's ...

    May 8, 2014


I hope everyone's safe and sound and has some potatoes in the pantry.
— Arcticus