User avatar

Heidigirl666

  • Writing Tips Re: Character Names

    Would you consider Tara(my name) to be a strange name? Or Kali? Or Hester? Or Dee? I would. 'Cause in my "wee group" there are five of us(yeah I know ...

    Apr 25, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: Character Names

    I always just choose normal names that I like; my characters are supposed to be normal people so if I gave them really unsual names it would just be weird. ...

    Apr 25, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: Swear words in a story

    I swear liberally in my recent novel, and I wouldn't change a thing. It's impossible to get away with saying 'he swore' all the time when half the novel is ...

    Apr 24, 2008
  • Writers Corner Re: How Much do Publisher's Take?

    Thought I'd point out that self-publishing and vanity publishing are not the same thing, as you mentioned it. :wink: Vanity publishing is where you pay someone to print a very ...

    Apr 20, 2008
  • Writers Corner Re: How long is/was your longest story?

    My novel which I'm just about to finish editing (the end of the week I'm aiming for :D) is about 140,000 words. I've written a couple of others (which were ...

    Apr 19, 2008
  • Writers Corner Re: How Much do Publisher's Take?

    As I understand it, the point at which you're paid royalties doesn't really correlate with your advance. It isn't like you have to 'pay back' the amount you've already been ...

    Apr 19, 2008
  • Research Re: Waiting Rooms

    The only waiting rooms I've ever been in have had the dullest magazines ever, been really quiet (everyone whispering practically) and had really uncomfortable chairs (not great when you're seeing ...

    Apr 17, 2008
  • Writers Corner Re: what are some good villan names?

    we could suggest a name like Bob in a fantasy novel. Why couldn't someone in a fantasy novel be called Bob? It's a bit cliched to give all your fantasy ...

    Apr 17, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: I need help on making something not cheesy

    Real characters and good dialogue are probably the key to writing a romance that isn't cheesy. Characters that are too perfect and all lovey-dovey just makes for an 'yuck' factor. ...

    Apr 9, 2008
  • Writers Corner Re: I Just Finished My First Rough Draft EVER!

    *sigh* Why write something no one will read? :wink: They said, they probably wouldn't get it published. That doesn't equal no one's going to read it, and besides, I don't ...

    Apr 4, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: Free indirect & free direct speech

    I have no idea what they are either. :? I try not to think about 'techniques' when I'm writing though. I just write how I like to write. :wink:

    Apr 4, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: How long does your editing take?

    Mine has so far taken six weeks to do several edits, I'm now half way through a final edit on the 140,000 words. Should be (hopefully) finished in the next ...

    Apr 1, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: Forget Grammar Advice (Not this one!)

    I always think you can't break grammar rules until you have learnt them properly and learnt to stick to them. Of course you can write dialogue however you like, but ...

    Mar 31, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: Story Plans

    I only write plans once I've got the plot set in stone, and only to know how I'm splitting up chapters. I can't change them once they're written. Sometimes I ...

    Mar 30, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: The mirror - A writer's friend?

    I don't use a mirror, but I do it without thinking while I'm at my computer or have a notebook open and I'm writing, I make faces and talk to ...

    Mar 27, 2008


I want to see people turn and writhe; make them feel things they cannot see and sometimes do not know.
— Anna Held