User avatar

Gahks

  • Writing Tips Re: Writing in a Different Mood

    When you write fiction, keep in mind that characters will inevitably change in the course of the story. That is, a man who loses a loved one in a car ...

    Sep 26, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: Starting with the end?

    I'm with Rabbit on this one. As long as there's consistency, logic and good planning, it could work.

    Aug 26, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: The sound of success

    Ever heard of synaesthesia? In case you haven't, it's when you experience one sense in terms of another. For instance, different musical scales might 'sound' like red or blue, people's ...

    Aug 13, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: Libel Law (& Order) and Other Legal Matters

    You know how "Law & Order" bases its episodes on "ripped-from-the-headlines" incidents (that is, it takes its inspiration from true events)? Well, the show's creators and NBC, for that matter, ...

    Aug 9, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: How do YOU get last names for a story charater?

    Same as Marzipan and deafwriter: I make surnames fit with the nationality.

    Aug 7, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: The naming game

    I need a first name for my detective and I would very much appreciate your help! He's tallish, in his late 30s, and quite a maverick. He can get in ...

    Aug 3, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: so you want to be a writer?

    I find this quite cynical actually...

    Jul 31, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: Screenwriting Freeware

    Are there any around? Please supply some! Thanks in advance, Gahks :D

    Jul 29, 2008
  • Research Re: English slang!

    Oh yeah, and people use "mate" a lot. E.g.: "Thanks, mate." Cheers = thanks Cheerio = goodbye. Fag = cigarette (not to be confused with faggot) 'Doing it'/'Humping'/'Screwing' = having ...

    Jul 29, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: Severe case of writer's block...

    Yah. Take a break. Go for a walk, watch TV or read a book. Who knows, you might suddenly find the dash of inspiration you need to give you a ...

    Jul 29, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: Losing the plot

    I have a title - Sex, Lies and Chicken Chow Mein - and a rough idea (it's a comedy/drama about four British Born Chinese friends) but NO PLOT! Please help! ...

    Jul 28, 2008
  • Research Re: English slang!

    I think some chavs are proud to be called that, you know. People do use 'like' a lot. Some other stuff: Poof = homosexual (v. offensive) Chav = Council House ...

    Jul 26, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: The terror of treatments

    I'm trying to write a treatment for my TV crime series, Crime & Punishment - how do I go about making sure it ticks all the boxes and is generally ...

    Jul 25, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: Dialogue in Mutes

    Get her to write her thoughts on paper to her friends etc. You could then contrast this with her innate feelings... subtext!

    Jul 25, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: Plot holes.. *frustration*

    Now there's an interesting problem... If your plot's going nowhere or it has holes, for that matter, take a break. After a couple of days or even a good few ...

    Jul 25, 2008


Every time someone steps up and says who they are, the world becomes a better, more interesting place.
— Captain Raymond Holt