User avatar

Gahks

  • Writing Tips Re: Flashbacks—any tips while writing them?

    Don't use italics. Start a new chapter or double space if they are unrelated to the action that's just happened. If it is, e.g.: "Glimpsing the mended vase made him ...

    Apr 25, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: Character Names

    Actually, I like a lot of biblical names because they're simple and not overly fancy and you can play around with variations that already exist (i.e. so they're spelt differently, ...

    Apr 25, 2008
  • Writing Activities Re: Character Consequences

    This is something I picked up from a creative writing book called The Five-Minute Writer ; I don't know how we could do this on this forum but it's useful ...

    Apr 24, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: Sex Scenes

    Read some great sex scenes - learn from the masters! In Atonement , McEwan handles the passion brilliantly when Robbie and Cecilia are together in the library. And never forget ...

    Apr 24, 2008
  • Welcome Mat Re: I'm afraid you guys will bite... Hi!

    Hi there from sunny England! Welcome to YWS! I tend to write more crime stuff than fantasy, but nevertheless I would be interested to see your work. What do you ...

    Apr 24, 2008
  • Lounge, The Re: Pingu

    *laughs at remembering the odd theme music*

    Apr 24, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: Character Names

    What goes into choosing character names? Do you use aptronyms (words that sound like the character's personality), ironical names (such as Will Dormer in the film Insomnia ) or just ...

    Apr 24, 2008
  • Lounge, The Re: Mark Speight found dead

    Tragic. Such an enthusiastic host on "SMart", I remember. A real shame. Thoughts with his family and friends.

    Apr 24, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: Portfolios, portfolios, portfolios!

    Agreed. Your previous work can be so inspirational and motivating. Either that you know you can do better, or you are easily capable of producing work of an equivalent or ...

    Apr 24, 2008
  • Writing Tips Re: Swear words in a story

    This has already been discussed! See the link below: Also, I would suggest only using expletives when ABSOLUTELY justified. Do not throw them around randomly or this will show a ...

    Apr 24, 2008
  • Writing Activities Re: Rate The Idea Above You!

    At first I thought this sounded hackneyed, but the child custody issue is definitely a winner. 7/10 Tentative titles for this are Infernal Knowledge or Trust. Whichever works better. Kate ...

    Apr 21, 2008
  • Welcome Mat Re: It's been a while...

    Welcome back, fellow Briton! Hope your residence here is much longer and much better than your first! What sort of stuff do you write? Do you have any hobbies or ...

    Apr 21, 2008
  • Serious Discussion and Debate Re: The Live Debate: Is humanity too clever for its own good?

    Welcome all, this is Gahks; I will be chairing this debate in which we will discuss the motion: "This House believes that humanity is too clever for its own good." ...

    Apr 20, 2008
  • Serious Discussion and Debate Re: cut spelling vs... normal spelling

    Agree: I do not want to see authors like ourselves using this as an excuse to rip our beloved English language to shreds. Fine for informal chat/speak, but literature ? ...

    Apr 20, 2008
  • Serious Discussion and Debate Re: A Proper Debate!

    Great, you're both entered in for the audience.

    Apr 17, 2008


It's kind of fun to do the impossible.
— Walt Disney