Random avatar

Fireweed

  • Fiction Discussion Re: Is it just me, or is Lord of the Flies a really sexist book?

    Hmm... Good points, for sure. I'm probably overreacting, lol. Thanks for making me re-think my position :). though I'm still somewhat irked at the idea of the rape metaphor. SV: ...

    Feb 17, 2008
  • Fiction Discussion Re: Is it just me, or is Lord of the Flies a really sexist book?

    Yeah, I found it a strange conclusion to come to, too, but my teacher insisted that it was a metaphor for rape. And when I re-read the passages, it kinda ...

    Feb 17, 2008
  • Fiction Discussion Re: Is it just me, or is Lord of the Flies a really sexist book?

    Does anyone else who was forced to read Lord of the Flies for their lit. class find it terribly sexist? I mean, it's supposed to represent society, right? But it ...

    Feb 17, 2008
  • Poetry Discussion Re: Most Influential Poet(s)

    I don't know about "most influential".... but favorites? Emily Dickinson- she's absolutely BRILLIANT. She fascinates me both as a poet and as a person. I wish I had her ability ...

    Feb 17, 2008
  • Writing Activities Re: Name the Character Above You

    So I'm not sure if this will work... but hopefully? What you do is post a description of a character's personality, and appearance if you want, and the next person ...

    Feb 16, 2008
  • Fiction Discussion Re: Inexperienced with sci fi

    Lol, I meant the other one. The Elileptic Seizure Warning. *stops straying off topic* Anyway, anywore opinions on how to write good sci fi?

    Feb 15, 2008
  • Fiction Discussion Re: Inexperienced with sci fi

    *Laughs* Yeah, well. You're probably right, but I'm really just writing it for fun. If it ends up being too cliche, it will never see the light of day. But ...

    Feb 15, 2008
  • Fiction Discussion Re: Inexperienced with sci fi

    Azila- I read the House of the Scorpion (great book!) and I'm actually drawing a lot of inspiration from there. Thank y'all for your help! ^_^

    Feb 14, 2008
  • Fiction Discussion Re: Inexperienced with sci fi

    Hey everyone- So I have this really rough idea for a sci fi story, possibly a novel. Who knows if it will ever happen because I am SO freakin' busy. ...

    Feb 13, 2008
  • Fiction Discussion Re: Department of Procrastination Prevention

    [quote]Supress the inner editor! I don't know if it's the same for other people, but sometimes I get so worried about what other people will think of my writing, and ...

    Feb 12, 2008
  • Media Reviews Re: Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird

    Jan 12, 2008
  • Media Reviews Re: Has anyone read 'The Book Thief' by : Markus Zusak?

    OMG, this is a such a beautiful (though depressing) book! The first pages are rather confusing, but you must persevere, because it's incre4dible. ^_^

    Dec 29, 2007
  • Fiction Discussion Re: What are you reading at the moment?

    [i]The Book Thief[/i] by Markus Zusak. Depressing, but beautiful.

    Dec 19, 2007
  • Writing Activities Re: Alliterations

    Pretty princesses primp themselves prissily in pristine palaces to prepare for the party of prince Percy, who is prone to pontificate pompously. Next letter: V

    Dec 17, 2007
  • Art & Photography Re: Misproportions and Irresolutions.

    1. ZOMG dat movie wuz teh roxxorz!!!11 Sorry. You captured the scene well. :D Is that in oil pastel? I like the sharp, defined lines. 2-5 are all very well-done, ...

    Dec 10, 2007


We understand how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretend to be.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind