User avatar

Cassandra

  • Writing Tips Re: First sentance dilema

    Half an hour? Seriously? My suggestion? Just write a sentence down. I don't care if it hooks the reader. I don't care if it's half-way decent. Just get that first ...

    Nov 4, 2006
  • Writing Tips Re: How to Not Rush

    I think that when I end up rushing, I'm usually anxious to get finished. Don't be! Unless you have a deadline (yuck!), you have all the time in the world! ...

    Nov 2, 2006
  • Research Re: A few questions I need help with...

    This probably won't be very helpful, but I wasn't actually knocked out--more like I passed out, and only for a few seconds. I was on the softball team in seventh ...

    Oct 31, 2006
  • Writing Tips Re: Character nams

    Aye. I use the phone book for last names sometimes, but I mostly stick to for first names.

    Oct 29, 2006
  • Writing Tips Re: Seven Deadly Sins of Writing

    I'll do one at a time, because I can't think of all the things I hate at once. 1. Poor grammar and spelling. I can't stand to read through something ...

    Oct 28, 2006
  • Writing Tips Re: How to Fix a Story

    Oy. I hate it when people can't bother to proof read their own stuff before they post. If it's important enough to you to post in front of everyone and ...

    Oct 27, 2006
  • Writing Tips Re: Conversation help please

    The characters don't always have to give a farewell...perhaps they're cut off, and can't finish their conversation? Oh, the drama! Or maybe one character is so angry they walk off ...

    Oct 27, 2006
  • Writing Tips Re: Any Exceptional Books About Writing?

    It doesn't really teach you to write, but I love Building Believable Characters by Marc McCutcheon. I'm not sure if it's still in print anymore; I got it two years ...

    Oct 27, 2006
  • Writing Tips Re: Serious Work

    Wow. I loved book five. Definitely one of my favorites out of the series. O.o Then again, maybe I only liked it so much because it was wicked long. XD ...

    Oct 25, 2006
  • Writing Tips Re: Serious Work

    ^ Oy. That's better than mine. I'd get this big, long, drawn out idea for a "novel" in my head when I was ten or eleven, then I'd try to ...

    Oct 25, 2006
  • Writing Tips Re: Need names!!!

    I second babynames.com. 'Tis my life saver, I tell you! Plus, I have this cool book, Character Development, that has a list of first and last names in the back, ...

    Oct 23, 2006
  • Writing Tips Re: Serious Work

    Good point. This could probably be applied to my work in progress *pokes*. Mind you, the only way I move that piece forward is to think to myself, "Now, what ...

    Oct 22, 2006
  • Writing Tips Re: Writer's Procrastination

    Or you could be sitting in a chat room talking about how badly you need to write this story/chapter/poem/novel but can’t get your mind around doing it. Admit it, we’ve ...

    Oct 19, 2006
  • Writing Tips Re: Bum-Bum-Duuuh

    That's cool that you entered, even if you didn't win. I also just got that issue. I just started getting Writer's Digest this year, but I don't think I'll subscribe ...

    Oct 14, 2006
  • Writing Tips Re: The Good, the Bad and the Inbetweens

    A great thing to keep in mind when doing a crit, Jack. I find that too often I'm in category number three, but I'm trying to focus more on the ...

    Oct 11, 2006


Poetry comes alive to me through recitation.
— Natalie Merchant