z

Young Writers Society

We All Are Birds. (Chap. 1)

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:05 pm
onceuponatim3xo says...

I know it's really long and I apologize. I'll try to review back for anyone who reviews this!

CHAPTER ONE

Oliver wiped his brow as sweat dribbled down his forehead. The air was humid and sticky. He was lounging out on the front porch steps, listening to his grandfather’s old radio. As his fingers drummed on the old wood of the porch, a few kids rode past his grandparents’ house on bicycles. The youngest shouted out to the others to slow down as the pink streamers hanging from her handlebars blew in the wind.

The front screen door opened with a familiar creak as his grandmother’s shaky voice rang out; “Oliver, you better be hungry because I made us a feast tonight!” She laughed and went back into the house, saying, “It’s almost ready, I could use some help in the kitchen.”

“Be there in a sec.” He glanced up at the vibrant blue sky, it was tinged by little puffs of clouds that resembled cotton balls.

He looked toward the many apple trees in the front lawn. They reminded him of when he was younger and would spend his summer vacations with his grandparents. Oliver used to climb the branches to find the best apples for his grandmother’s famous apple pie. Then he’d run into the kitchen with a basket full of fresh, juicy apples and she’d bend down to kiss him on the cheek and tousle his moppy brown hair.

As she baked her pie, he’d help his grandpa in the garage to fix up his old truck; it was always breaking down. When he was about seven, he earned the duty of the honorary flashlight holder. His grandfather would always look at him through his thick circle glasses and smile as Oliver stood on his toes to try and reach the hood of the truck. Then his grandpa would scratch the top of his head where there was a little tuft of white hair, and leave a streak of oil in it. Oliver wouldn’t tell him about it until after they went back into the house and had dinner. His grandmother would smile at Oliver knowingly until they both couldn’t hold back their giggles and decided to tell his grandfather.

“You guys! Wait up!” The shouting of the neighborhood kids brought him out of his reverie and he hopped off the steps and unplugged the radio. Although the last summer he'd spent with his grandparents was ten years ago, nothing seemed to have changed. When he was at home he often found himself painting those bright red apples that he used to pluck for his grandma.

He began to ravel up the cord but jumped slightly when a mocha-skinned hand unexpectedly gripped his shoulder. He turned to find that it was Amir. Oliver playfully pushed him away. “Thanks for scaring the daylights out of me, man.”

“No problem!” He knelt to tie a shoelace.

“Where’d you come from anyway? I didn’t see you coming at all.”

Amir glanced over at the bushes that were in front of the porch. “It’s so easy to scare you.”

“You hid in the bushes?” Oliver smiled. “How long were you there for?”

“Long enough to see you staring at the apple trees with your mouth hanging open.” He smiled his half smile. “Your grandma make dinner yet?”

“You came just in time. You have a habit of doing that.”

“I know.” Amir winked as he ran up the porch steps and swung open the screen door. He looked back at Oliver and motioned for him to follow.

Oliver shook his head, laughing at Amir’s antics. Once he finished packing up the radio, he followed behind. As he entered the house, he was immediately welcomed by all of the frames hanging on the walls of the threshold with old photographs. Oliver went into the living room to see that his grandfather was sitting in his recliner. He had been watching an old black and white movie, but had clearly fallen asleep. His glasses were sliding off of his face, and his mouth was hanging open. Amir had gone straight for the couch, his body sprawled out across the length of it as he watched the TV.

The kitchen was a warm and inviting place; there was always some delicious smell coming from the oven. His grandma was in a tizzy taking out serving spoons and knives and plates all at once. “What’s the occasion?” he asked, nodding to the excessive amounts of food laid out on the breakfast bar counter.

She smiled her toothy smile and simply shook her head as she pulled out some potholders from a cupboard.

“Grandma, I know that face, you’re hiding something. Tell me!” he chuckled.

She hesitated, turning to the sink. As she rinsed off a pan she gave in. “What if I were to say that your parents are coming home tonight?”

Several different feelings washed over Oliver all at once, but the most prominent was his feeling of total disappointment. It left a bitter taste in his mouth. “Really?” The word was flat.

His grandma hobbled up to him to pat him on the back. “Your stepmother and I spoke on the phone the other day for quite some time. I think that the two of them going to California has helped them a lot.”

He glanced at the clock above the stove: 5:02 PM. “When will they be here?”

“Laura just called me about an hour ago to tell me that their plane had landed. So they should be here soon, in less than a half an hour. Just in time for dinner.”

Attempting to forget about his parents, he looked over to Amir and his grandpa in the living room, “Amir came by, hope you don’t mind he stays for dinner.”

My grandmother grinned. “I don’t know why you even ask. That boy is always welcome here. He knows that too; he’s been over here quite often…especially at dinnertime. Besides, I already made sure to make enough for him anyway.”

Oliver smiled. “I know. He says that your cooking is much better than his mother’s.”

Clearly flattered; as his grandmother rinsed a head of lettuce off under the sink she mumbled, “Such a nice boy.” She loved to hear that she had good cooking, it was her favorite compliment. “Honey, can you set those out on the dining table?” She pointed to several plates of food sitting on the counter opposite them.

“No problem.” He grabbed a large pot of spaghetti and a plate of chicken and took them out of the kitchen and into the dining room. Just as he set down the plates, the front door swung open.

“Hi!” The voice was familiarly irritating. He slowly looked up from the dining table to see a bronze, light haired woman with several bags hanging from her thin wrists. S stiff and somewhat chubby man stood awkwardly behind her.
“Oliverrr!” Her nasally voice rang out his name shrilly. “Give me a hug! It’s been so long, honey.”

He walked over to the couple hesitantly and she wrapped her arms around him and squeezed, managing to jab him with one of her long, plastic nails. “How was California, Laura?” he mumbled.

“Well, it was not what I expected at all! It was fabulous when we were at your Aunt Lisa’s house, but the city was a bit dirty, I won’t lie. So many Mexicans.”

He tried to ignore her racist remark, but a sarcastic “and?” slipped out under his breath. She glared at him slightly but quickly dismissed what he had said.

“Your father had a lovely time,” she said as she pat his dad’s stomach. “Didn’t you, pookie?”

Oliver gagged a little at the remembrance of such a disgusting pet name for his father. His father, Edgar, blushed a little in embarrassment. He coughed in agreement.

“That’s good.” Oliver’s words were hollow.

Laura let out a short breath, a huff, as she set down her bags and strode over to the dining table. She frowned in disapproval as she inspected the dark mahogany surface. “Oliver, that table’s dirty; take these plates back off of it and wipe it down.”

He glanced at the dining table. It seemed to be fine, but nothing escaped his stepmother’s critical eye. Walking back into the kitchen, he set down the plates and gripped the edge of the breakfast bar in frustration. While his grandmother’s back was turned to him, Oliver put his head in his hands. Not much time had passed before he felt a frail hand on his shoulder. He looked up to meet his grandmother’s aged eyes. He sighed slightly and nodded in agreement to her reassuring motion. He grabbed a rag and entered the dining room.

Laura was picking at her nails, sitting cross-legged at the table, opposite her husband. “Your mother’s house smells, Edgar,” Laura said under her breath.

“It’s from the cooking,” Oliver said, glaring. How dare she insult his grandmother’s home so blatantly?

Laura looked up at him, surprised, almost as if she had already forgotten that he was there. She smiled, lips pursed, and in a condescending tone said, “I suppose so.” Then she cleared her throat. “How was your summer, Oliver?”

“Fantastic.” He made sure the word bit the air a little as he left back into the kitchen to grab more plates of food.

As they all sat down to eat, Laura forward and asked his grandmother, “have you had any problems?” Her eyes darted to Oliver.

His grandma smiled, her eyes crinkling. “Not in the very least. The boys have been great, very helpful.” She looked to Oliver and Amir. She liked to think that Amir was another grandchild, which he very well could be since he stayed over so much. Oliver’s grandfather patted Amir on the back, and he smiled when he realized that she was talking about him.

“That’s good.” Laura looked down at her plate as she cut some chicken. The room was silent for a while after, with only the muffled sound of the television that Oliver’s grandfather had left on and the clinking of silverware to fill the void. Then, Laura cleared her throat again. “Your father and I have something to discuss with you after dinner, Oliver.”

He never understood why she did that. “Why not just tell me now?”

“Well, now is not-”

His father spoke. “Laura, we might as well.” He coughed, then smiled feebly at his wife.

Her eyes narrowed. “Have you ever heard of The Ralfour Academy of New York?”

Oliver shook his head.

“Well, your cousin Phillip goes there and your father and I looked into it and we believe that it would be an excellent school with enough academic rigor to keep you focused for your senior year.”

Oliver almost wanted to laugh as this feeling of surrealism wafted over him. She spoke as though she were reading straight from the pamphlet of the school. She had to be joking. “I go to Jefferson High,” was all that he could say.

His cousin Phillip was the son of his aunt and uncle on his stepmother’s side. Aunt Lisa and Uncle Robert, with their darling little son, Phillip, were the one’s that Edgar and Laura were visiting in California. His Aunt Lisa and Laura were sisters and they might as well have been twins, they were exactly alike. Which was why, when given the option to either stay with his grandparents or spend a month with not only one Laura, but two, Oliver gladly chose to come to Massachusetts rather than go with them to California. He still wasn’t sure which personality was worse, the Laura/Lisa personality, or the Phillip one. ‘Darling little Phillip’ was a pompous, know-it-all kid, with thick rimmed glasses and a mighty case of acne. Not to mention his salivation problem which gave him a strong lisp, or rather “lishp”. He liked to challenge Oliver on everything whenever he visited, but Oliver was always able to outwit him.

“Yes, but next year you will be going to Ralfour Academy.” She looked to Edgar for reassurance.

“I go to Jefferson High,” Oliver repeated in disbelief.

Crossing her legs, she looked back down at her plate as she cut her chicken. “Not anymore.”

“I don’t… I don’t understand.” Oliver looked to Amir as if he could shed some light on this. Amir looked dubious.

“What’s not to understand? Your father and I enrolled you at Ralfour Academy so that you can have a brighter future. You can thank us for looking out for you.” Her eyebrows rose.

“What’s wrong with Jefferson?” Oliver suddenly didn’t feel good. His stomach turned thinking about leaving the school where he knew everyone, where he had a name for himself. Leaving all of his friends.

“I feel like I’m speaking to a toddler,” she muttered.

His father cleared his throat. “Oliver, Laura and I want a good future for you, and Ralfour Academy will provide you with the skills to get into a college like Harvard or Yale.”

Oliver sighed. “Dad, we’ve talked about this countless times. I’m not going to some stuffy Ivy League school. I’m going to an art school.”

Laura snorted. “That’s the most ridiculous idea I have ever heard! You’ll have no future as an artist. You need to give it up and become a doctor, or a lawyer like your father. We’re not going to let you bum off of your father. You need to make your own living.”

Oliver’s grandmother started to speak, saying something about how talented he was, but Laura shot her down, rambling on and on about financial things.

Oliver could feel his temper rising. They never supported him. The fact that Laura wanted to send him away to some school in New York pissed him off. He knew it was because she wanted to have the house all to herself and his father. Oliver wanted to scream as his hands clenched on his fork and knife.

The anger boiling inside of him, Oliver dropped his silverware loudly on his plate, pushed away his chair, and stormed out the door.

The screen door closed with a thwack as he got into his car. His fingers gripped around the steering wheel and with his eyes closed tightly, he took a deep breath, then let it out. It was his way of decompressing.

When he opened his eyes, he saw the front door of his grandparents’ house open. It was Amir, his brow was furrowed in concern.

It was strange to see Amir’s usually cheerful face so solemn. It made him feel awful for having caused a scene like he had, but he couldn’t bear to go back in the house at this point. He jabbed his key in the ignition and peeled out of the driveway. He didn’t know where he was going, but he knew that he needed to get away. The vibration of the engine felt soothing to him as he sped down the country roads. As he drove, he lost track of where he was, whizzing past barns and houses until he found himself parking at a familiar place.

He walked through the tall grass, past the abandoned tractor, and sat upon a bridge that overlooked a crick. His grandparents used to take him there all the time when he was little. It used to be a cider mill, but went out of business a few years back.

Reaching into his pocket, he found his notebook. He grabbing the small pencil that was nestled in the rings of the binding to the notebook and began to draw his surroundings. He drew for what seemed like hours, trying to find some peace of mind.

It wasn’t just the fact that they were forcing him to go to a new school in a new state that bothered him. It frustrated him that as soon as they just waltzed right back into his life they were able to ruin it again in a matter of seconds.

Jefferson High School wasn’t the best school; the girls were catty, the guys were jerks. But it still felt like home. Oliver had been in that school district his whole life. He was there even when his real mother had left him when he was in kindergarten, with only a note to remember her by.

His mother had gone off with some other, richer family, and after years of depression, his father had married another woman. His second marriage had only lasted a few years, until she started cheating on him with the pizza delivery man. When Oliver had turned fourteen, his father, Edgar, found Laura at a Night Club, and married her within the first few months of dating her. He told Oliver that it was true love, but Oliver knew that it wasn’t. His parental figures were not the best role models for true love, but he knew that what Edgar and Laura had was definitely not something called love.

At a young age, Oliver had found that Edgar had a habit of being with selfish women that lacked empathy. In a way, he almost felt bad for Edgar, for his incapability of ever advocating for himself. He tended to take the backseat in relationships. Laura had obviously only married him for his money. Why else would a woman as young as twenty-eight year old Laura want a fifty-something year old man like his father? In a way, it really disgusted Oliver. It made him feel as though his own father was a pig. He had vowed early on to never follow in Edgar’s foot steps.

A frog that was hidden in the lilies by the crick croaked loudly and snapped Oliver out of his thoughts. He looked at the sky; it was getting to that time when the sun turned everything a honey color. Closing the notebook, he glanced at his phone. It said that it was 7:36 PM. There were several voicemails from his family. He decided to go back to his grandparents’ house before they began to worry about him.

When he pulled up to the familiar two story house with the white picket fence and blue shutters against white siding, he saw that Amir was sitting on the front porch while his grandmother was sitting in her rocking chair, knitting.

Amir hopped off the steps as the car parked and he walked up to the passenger’s side window. As Oliver rolled it down, Amir asked in a very knowing tone, “You okay?”

“Yeah,” Oliver lied.

Amir frowned. “Let’s get out of here.” Then he opened the door to sit in the passenger seat.
Last edited by onceuponatim3xo on Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:36 pm, edited 8 times in total.
It is better to travel well than to arrive.
-Buddha

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:28 am
summerlovee says...

This was really good

He wiped his brow as sweat dribbled down his forehead. The air was humid and sticky, he was lounging out on the front porch steps listening to his grandfather’s old radio. As his fingers drummed on the old wood of the porch, a few kids rode past his grandparents’ house on bicycles. The youngest shouted out to the others to slow down as the pink streamers hanging from her handlebars blew in the wind. The front screen door opened with a familiar creak as his grandmother’s shaky voice rang out; “Oliver, you better be hungry because I made us a feast tonight!” she laughed and went back into the house, saying “it’s almost ready, I could use some help in the kitchen” as she left.

“Be there in a sec.” He glanced up at the sun, it was starting to set with only a few hours left before the moon made its appearance. The sky was a vibrant blue, touched by little puffs of clouds that resembled cotton balls. He looked toward the many apple trees in the front lawn. They reminded him of when he was younger and would spend his summer vacations with his grandparents. Oliver used to climb the branches to find the best apples for his grandmother’s famous apple pie. Then he’d run into the kitchen with a basket full of fresh, juicy apples and she’d bend down to kiss him on the cheek and tousle his moppy brown hair. As she baked her pie, he’d help his grandpa in the garage to fix up his old truck; it was always breaking down. He was only about seven at the time, but was the honorary flashlight holder. His grandfather would always look at him through his thick circle glasses and smile as Oliver stood on his toes to try and reach the hood of the truck. Then his grandpa would scratch the top of his head where there was a little tuft of white hair, and leave a streak of oil in it. Oliver wouldn’t tell him about it until they went back into the house for dinner and his grandmother would giggle and smile at him knowingly.The imagery and reference to the past was done very good (: It gives the readers an idea that Oliver loves it here, with his grandma and grandpa, which of course is further described later.

“You guys! Wait Up!” The shouting of the neighborhood kids brought him out of his reverie and he hopped off the steps and unplugged the radio. That was the last summer that he had spent with his grandparents until now, it was ten years ago, but it seemed that nothing had changed. He began to ravel up the cord but jumped slightly when a mocha-skinned hand unexpectedly gripped his shoulder. He turned to find that it was Amir. Oliver playfully pushed him away, “thanks for scaring the daylights out of me, man.”

“No problem!” He snickered and knelt to tie a shoelace.

“Where’d you come from anyway? I didn’t see you coming at all.”

He looked over to the bushes that were in front of the porch. “It’s so easy to scare you, man.”I suggest not using 'man' twice, it makes the sentence a bit awkward.

“You hid in the bushes?” Oliver smiled, “how long were you there for?”

“Long enough to see you staring at the apple trees with your mouth hanging open.” He smiled his half smile, “your grandma make dinner for tonight yet?”

“I know.” Amir winked as he ran up the porch steps and swung open the screen door. He looked back at Oliver and motioned with a hand for him to follow.The dialogue was good and very casual like it should be with friends.

Oliver shook his head, laughing at Amir’s antics. Once he finished packing up the radio, he followed behind. As he entered the house, he was immediately welcomed by all of the frames hanging on the walls of the threshold with old photographs. Oliver went into the living room to see that his grandfather was sitting in his recliner. He had been watching an old black and white movie, but had clearly fallen asleep. His glasses were sliding off of his face, and his mouth was hanging open. Amir had gone straight for the couch, his body sprawled out across the length of it as he watched the TV.

The kitchen was a warm and inviting place, there was always some delicious smell coming from the oven. This time, Oliver couldn’t really tell what it was but it smelled a bit like cinnamon. His grandma was in a tizzy taking out serving spoons and knives and plates all at once. He went to give her a hand and realized she wasn’t kidding about them having a feast. “What’s the occasion?” he asked, nodding to the excessive amounts of food laid out on the breakfast bar counter.
She smiled her toothy smile and simply shook her head as she pulled out some potholders from a cupboard.
“Grandma, I know that face, you’re hiding something. Tell me!” he chuckled.Again nice use of dialogue and I like how you make him know she is hiding something, it makes their relationship seem tighter.

She hesitated, turning to the sink. As she rinsed off a pan she gave in. “Well, what if I were to say that your parents are coming home tonight.”

An indescribable feeling washed over Oliver all at once. It left a bitter taste in his mouth. “Really?” The word was flat, showing quite easily his disappointment.Good descriptive words just the right amount.

It was always so effortless for people to know his emotions. He had been told many times before that people could read him like a book. His grandma proved this theory by turning and walking; hobbled and slow as usual, up to him to pat him on the back. “Your stepmother and I talked on the phone for quite some time. I think that the two of them going to California has helped them a lot.”

“Soon, in less than a half an hour. Just in time for dinner.”

He looked over to Amir and his grandpa in the living room, “Amir came by, hope you don’t mind he stays for dinner.”

My grandmother snickered, “I don’t know why you even ask, that boy is always welcome here. He knows that too, he’s been over here quite often…especially at dinner time. Besides, I already made sure to make enough for him anyway.”
Oliver laughed. “I know, he says that your cooking is much better than his mother’s.”

His grandmother rinsed a head of lettuce off under the sink as she mumbledmaybe mumbled isn't the best word to describe her happiness over the compliment, “such a nice boy.” Clearly flattered. She loved to hear that she had good cooking, it was her favorite compliment. “Honey, can you set those out on the dining table?” She pointed to the several plates of food sitting on the counter opposite them.

“No problem.” He grabbed a large pot of spaghetti and a plate of chicken and took them out of the kitchen and into the dining room. Just as he set down the plates, the front door swung open and the air immediately changed to a cold and tense feeling. “Hi!” The voice was familiarly irritating. He slowly looked up from the dining table to see a very bronze, light haired, and skinny woman holding several bags in hand with a stiff and somewhat chubby man standing awkwardly behind her.I like how you show the comparisons of the two people.

“Oliverrr!” Her nasally voice rang out his name shrilly. “Give me a hug! It’s been so long honey.”

He walked over to the couple hesitantly as she wrapped her arms around him and squeezed, managing to jab him with one of her long, fake, plastic nails. “Hi Laura, how was California?” he mumbled.

“Well, it was not what I expected at all! It was fabulous when we were at your Aunt Lisa’s house, but the city was a bit dirty, I won’t lie. So many Mexicans.”

He tried to ignore her racist remark, but a sarcastic “and?” slipped out under his breath. She gave him a slight glare but quickly dismissed what he had said.Furthers the idea that his relationship with his stepmom and dad aren't good, nicely done.

“Your father had a lovely time.” She said as she pat his dad’s stomach. “Didn’t you pookie?”

Oliver gagged a little at the remembrance of such a disgusting pet name for his father. His father, Edgar, seemed to blush a little in embarrassment and coughed in agreement.This suggests(the nickname and embarrassment of the father) to readers that the woman is younger, which she is, but giving hints now and again can make a difference!

Laura let out a short breath, a huff, as she set down her bags and strode over to the dining table. She frowned in disapproval as she inspected the dark mahogany table top. “Oliver, that table’s dirty, take these plates back off of it and wipe it down.”

He glanced at the dining table, it seemed to be fine, but nothing escaped his step-mother’s critical eye. Walking back into the kitchen, he set down the plates and gripped the edge of the breakfast bar in frustration. While his grandmother’s back was turned to him, Oliver put his head in his hands. As he grabbed a rag, she set her frail hand on his forearm and looked up into his eyes. He sighed slightly and nodded in agreement to her reassuring motion.

As he returned to the dining room, Laura was picking at her nails, sitting cross-legged at the table, opposite his father. “Your mother’s house smells, Edgar,” Laura said under her breath.I like what Laura says because it instantly makes her the really bad antagonist.

“It’s from the cooking,” Oliver said with a slight glare. How dare she insult his grandmother’s home so blatantly.

Laura looked up at him, surprised, almost as if she had already forgotten that he was there. She somehow managed to smile with pursed lips, and in a condescending tone said, “I suppose so.” Then she cleared her throat. “How was your summer, Oliver?”

“Fantastic.” He made sure the word bit the air a little as he left back into the kitchen to grab more plates of food.
As they all set down to eat, Laura attempted to make small talk but resorted to asking his grandmother, “have you had any problems?” Her eyes darting to Oliver.

His grandma smiled, her eyes crinkling, “not in the very least, the boys have been great, very helpful.” She looked to Oliver and Amir. She liked to think that Amir was another grandchild, which he very well could be, he stayed over so much. Oliver’s grandfather pat Amir on the back, and he smiled when he realized that she was talking about him.

“That’s good.” Laura looked down at her plate as she cut some chicken. There was an awkward silence for a while after, with only the muffled sound of the television that Oliver’s grandfather had left on in the background and the clinking of silverware to fill the silence. Then, Laura cleared her throat again. “Your father and I have something to discuss with you after dinner, Oliver.”

He never understood why she did that, “why not just tell me now?”

“Well, now is not-”

Finally, his father spoke. “Laura, we might as well.” He coughed, then smiled feebly at his wife.

Oliver shook his head. Where was she going with this one?

“Well, your cousin Phillip goes there and your father and I looked into it and we believe that it would be an excellent school with enough academic rigor to keep you focused for your senior year.”

Oliver almost wanted to laugh as this feeling of surrealism wafted over him. She spoke as though she were reading straight from the pamphlet of the school. She had to be joking. “I go to Jefferson High,” was all that he could say.

His cousin Phillip was the son of his aunt and uncle on his stepmother’s side. Aunt Lisa and Uncle Robert, with their darling little son, Phillip, were the one’s that Edgar and Laura were visiting in California. His Aunt Lisa and Laura were sisters and they might as well have been twins, they were exactly alike. Which was why, when given the option to either stay with his grandparents or spend a month with not only one Laura, but another, Oliver gladly chose to come to Massachusetts rather than go with them to California. He still wasn’t sure which personality was worse though, the Laura/Lisa personality, or the Phillip one. ‘Darling little Phillip’ was a pompous, know-it-all kid, with thick rimmed glasses and a mighty case of acne. Not to mention his salivation problem which gave him a strong lisp, or rather “lishp”. He liked to challenge Oliver on everything whenever he visited, but Oliver was always able to outwit him.

“Yes, but next year you will be going to Ralfour Academy.” She looked to Edgar for reassurance.

“I go to Jefferson High,” Oliver repeated in disbelief.This was good! Olivers dialogue tells us that he is VERY suprised.

Crossing her legs she looked back down at her plate as she violently cut her chicken, “not anymore.”

“I don’t, I don’t understand.” Oliver looked to Amir as if he could shed some light on this. Amir looked dubious.

“What’s not to understand? Your father and I enrolled you at Ralfour Academy so that you can have a brighter future. You’re welcome for looking out for you.” Her eyebrows rose.

“What’s wrong with Jefferson?” Oliver didn’t feel good suddenly, his stomach turned thinking about leaving the school where he knew everyone, where he had a name for himself. Leaving all of his friends.

“I feel like I’m speaking to a toddler.” She muttered. “Edgar, you tell the boy.”

Edgar looked as though he didn’t want to say anything at all, Oliver knew almost instantly that this was not his father’s decision by the forced look on his face. “Oliver, Laura and I want a good future for you, and Ralfour Academy will provide you with the skills to get into a college like Harvard or Yale.”

Oliver sighed. “Dad, we’ve talked about this countless times. I’m not going to some stuffy Ivy League school. I’m going to an art school.”

His father looked even more pained after hearing what he had said.

Laura snorted. “That’s the most ridiculous idea I have ever heard! You’ll have no future as an artist, you need to give it up and become a doctor, or even a lawyer like your father. We’re not going to let you bum off of your father for money. You need to make your own living.”

Oliver’s grandmother started to speak, saying something about how talented he was but Laura shot her down, rambling on and on about financial things.

Oliver could feel his temper rising. They never supported him. He knew that she wanted him to get one of those awfully stuffy non-free spirit jobs so that it was insured that she would have all of his father’s money to herself. It was obvious that that was the only reason she had married him, his father was a fool for marrying a gold-digger like her. The fact that she wanted him to go away to some school in New York pissed him off too, he knew it was because she wanted to be able send him away and have the house all to herself and his father. He wanted to scream as his hands clenched on his fork and knife. He missed when it was just him and his father, there was never any drama.

The anger boiling inside of him, Oliver dropped his silverware loudly on his plate, pushed away his chair, and stormed out the door.As an reader I was not satisfied at what he had done, in my ponion maybe before going saying a wise word or two, to Laura? But of course you might have intended to make him look very respectful and calm.

The screen door closed with a thwack as he got into his car to be immersed in the familiar smell of leather and the green air freshener hanging from his mirror. His fingers gripped around the steering wheel and with his eyes closed tightly, he took a deep breath, then let it out. It was his way of decompressing.

When he opened his eyes, he saw the front door of his grandparents’ house open. It was Amir, his brow was furrowed in concern.

It was strange to see Amir’s usually cheerful face so solemn. It made him feel awful for having caused a scene like he had, but he couldn’t bear to go back in the house at this point. He jabbed his key in the ignition and peeled out of the driveway. He didn’t know where he was going, but he knew that he needed to get away from there. The vibration of the engine felt soothing to him as he sped down the country roads. As he drove, he lost track of where he was, whizzing past barns and houses here and there until he found himself parking at a familiar place.

He walked through the tall grass, past the abandoned tractor, to find himself sitting on a bridge that overlooked a crick. His grandparents used to take him there all the time when he was little. It used to be a cider mill, but went out of business a few years back.

Reaching into his pocket, he found his notebook. Grabbing the small pencil that was nestled in the rings of the binding to the notebook, he began to draw his surroundings. He drew for what seemed like hours, trying to find some peace of mind.

It wasn’t just the fact that they were forcing him to go to a new school in a new state that bothered him, but also the fact that as soon as they just waltzed right back into his life they were able to ruin it again in a matter of seconds.
Jefferson High School wasn’t the best school; the girls were catty, the guys were jerks. But it still felt like home. Oliver had been in that school district his whole life, even in kindergarten when his real mother had decided to leave Oliver as a child, with only a note left to remember her by.

His mother had gone off with some other, richer family and after years of depression, his father had married another woman. His second marriage had only lasted a few years, until she started to cheat on him with the pizza delivery man. When Oliver had turned fourteen, his father, Edgar, found Laura at a Night Club, and married her within the first few months of dating her. He told Oliver that it was true love, but Oliver knew that it wasn’t. His parental figures were not the best role models for true love, but he knew that what Edgar and Laura had was definitely not something called love.

At a young age, Oliver had found that Edgar had a habit of marrying women that lacked empathy and were ignorant to the world. In a way, he almost felt bad for Edgar, for his incapability of ever advocating for himself. He tended to take the backseat in relationships. But, at the same time Oliver was frustrated by the fact that Edgar couldn’t see women for their beauty within. He hated how his own father was only attracted to younger women. Laura had obviously only married him for his money because she would always guilt-trip him into buying her diamonds and have him take her on countless cruises and vacations. Why else would a woman as young as twenty-eight year old Laura want a fifty-something year old man like his father? In a way, it really disgusted Oliver. It made him feel as though his own father was a pig. He had vowed early on to never follow in Edgar’s foot steps; to live from the heart.This made me automatically dislike Edgar xD

A frog that was hidden in the lilies by the crick croaked loudly and snapped Oliver out of his thoughts. He looked at the sky, it was getting to that time when the sun turned everything a honey color. Closing the notebook, he glanced at his phone. It said that it was 7:36 PM. There were several voice mails from his family. He decided to go back to his grandparents’ house before they began to worry about him.

When he pulled up to the familiar two story house with the white picket fence and blue shutters against white siding, he saw that Amir was sitting on the front porch while his grandmother was sitting in her rocking chair, knitting.

Amir hopped off the steps as the car parked and he walked up to the passenger’s side window. As Oliver rolled it down, Amir asked in a very knowing tone, “you ok?”

“Yeah.” Oliver lied.

Amir frowned, knowing full well that his friend was lying. “let’s get out of here.” Then he opened the door to sit in the passenger seat.

Overall I really liked this stroy! Don't worry about returning the favour, I know I didn't really help you but only complimented things you already did xD Sorry :l I hope my review did help you at least a little bit :D
~Kepp writing
Linger on, your pale blue eyes

225 Reviews

Reviews: 225
Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:57 pm
Spitfire says...

Well hey there One! Gotta say, I love your username.. makes me want to watch a Disney movie ;)
On to the review.

onceuponatim3xo wrote:“Oliver, you better be hungry because I made us a feast tonight!” sShe laughed and went back into the house, saying “iIt’s almost ready, I could use some help in the kitchen” as she left.

The last part doesn't need to be said as you've already mentioned before that she was going into the house.

onceuponatim3xo wrote:He glanced up at the sun, it was starting to set with only a few hours left before the moon made its appearance.

Okay, this sentence seems a little off to me. I think you should cut it up, as you talk about the sun and then switch to the moon. Maybe try: "He glanced up at the sun; it was starting to set. Only a few hours left before the moon made its appearance."

onceuponatim3xo wrote:That was the last summer that he had spent with his grandparents until now, it was ten years ago, but it seemed that nothing had changed.

Again, the structure of this sentence doesn't fit. I keep re-reading it, trying to get what's bothering me. I believe it's just the way you phrased this. How about this; "It was the last summer he'd spent with his grandparents until now. Although it was ten years ago, nothing seemed to have changed." I know, not much change, but I understand it much better this way.

onceuponatim3xo wrote:“Long enough to see you staring at the apple trees with your mouth hanging open.” He smiled his half smile, “your grandma make dinner for tonight yet?”

It should be a period after smile and the Y of "your" should be capitalized.

onceuponatim3xo wrote:The kitchen was a warm and inviting place, there was always some delicious smell coming from the oven.

I'd replace the comma with a semi-colon ;

onceuponatim3xo wrote:His grandma was in a tizzy taking out serving spoons and knives and plates all at once.

I have to admit, I'm not really sure what you mean by "tizzy"

onceuponatim3xo wrote:He had been told many times before that people could read him like a book.

Usually the expression is to read someone like an open book

onceuponatim3xo wrote:While his grandmother’s back was turned to him, Oliver put his head in his hands. As he grabbed a rag, she set her frail hand on his forearm and looked up into his eyes. He sighed slightly and nodded in agreement to her reassuring motion.

This part moves on too quickly. He puts his head in his hands; that's usually something people do for a minute or so, give themselves time to think or breathe. You should have the grandmother come see him, and after that have him grab the rag.

onceuponatim3xo wrote:As they all set down to eat, Laura attempted to make small talk but resorted to asking his grandmother, “hHave you had any problems?” Her eyes darting to Oliver.

*sat

onceuponatim3xo wrote:He never understood why she did that, “why not just tell me now?”

It should be a period after "that" and you should capitalize "why"

onceuponatim3xo wrote:“What’s wrong with Jefferson?” Oliver didn’t feel good suddenly, his stomach turned thinking about leaving the school where he knew everyone, where he had a name for himself. Leaving all of his friends.

I think you mean more "churned" than "turned"

onceuponatim3xo wrote:As Oliver rolled it down, Amir asked in a very knowing tone, “yYou ok?”

onceuponatim3xo wrote:Amir frowned, knowing full well that his friend was lying. “lLet’s get out of here.” Then he opened the door to sit in the passenger seat.

All right. Nit-picking and reading are done.

Now on to the general chapter.
The story is good; it has a good flow to it, easy to understand, realistic, etc.

The descriptions were also good. You gave enough information to help picture the places and people, and you spread it throughout the story, so it doesn't feel like there's too much info. Congrats; that's not easy to do.

My one issue was your MC. The whole time before his parents arrive, he's thinking, remembering, watching, etc. That's fine. But later on, it's said that he wants to be an artist. It's not specifically said in what subject, but as he draws and all, I'm guessing it's to be a drawer or a painter of sorts. Again, not a problem with that.

But I myself love arts. I studied in interior design for two years and love to draw and all. My point? If he's really into art, his perseption of his surroundings would be different. Like I said, I studied to be an interior designer, so now, everytime I walk into a room, I notice the architecture, the furniture arrangement, the decor, the room's potential, etc. That's what your character needs. When he watches the sun go down, maybe he's thinking of painting the scene, or how he should use the sunset colors for a drawing, etc.

I know this is very picky of me, but this is something that'll help make Oliver so much more than just some random character; it'll make him seem as though he's a real man. Again, this isn't an easy thing. But these small little details will help readers understand and want to understand your main character so much more. I hope you understand and I haven't just totally confused you ;)

That's pretty much all I have to say. It's was a really good chapter!
If ever you need something, feel free to ask!
Spitfire
Got a story you'd like reviewed?
topic75101.html

Punctuation is the difference between "Let's eat, Grandma" and "Let's eat Grandma".

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:07 am
Esther Sylvester says...

Hey Once! Sorry I took so long. Here is the review!

I really enjoyed this a lot. It was great first chapter because it has all of the good qualities: likable characters, a plot, and a hook. When I was done I wanted to know what happened next, which means you've accomplished a goal as a writer!

CHARACTERS:

All of your characters are enjoyable to read. Oliver is fantastic. You have a great way of portraying his emotions without "telling" them. Instead of saying, "he was angry" you show it through his actions, like when he saw his parents. Impressive. His best friend is good, too.

“Long enough to see you staring at the apple trees with your mouth hanging open.” He smiled his half smile. “Your grandma make dinner for tonight yet?”

“I know.” Amir winked as he ran up the porch steps and swung open the screen door. He looked back at Oliver and motioned with a hand for him to follow.

You had little moments like these which made me smile! Now, I hope that you do go a little deeper with Oliver's parents. Right now they are stereotypical, which I'm sure you intended to some degree, but I don't want them to be just plot devices; you know, just there to make a plot happen. I hope you make them develop a little and flesh them out. Lauren especially, since she is more important. Although it would be nice to have Edgar step out of his puppet-like exterior and stand up for himself and or his son.

PLOT:

First chapters don't usually have a lot of plot, but that's fine if they are interesting, which yours was! You brought up questions: Will the MC run away? Go to school with his horrid relative? Important questions! I don't have really much to criticize here. It's all quite believable so far.

FLOW:

Your story flowed quite nicely for the most part! Some of your sentences are broken up rather awkwardly, but mostly it's just the average misplaced comma or two. Just go back and fix run ons and comma splices. The others pointed them out, probably.I do suggest looking at the phrasing of your sentences in the future, because sometimes they are confusing:

It reminded him of a painting he had done a few weeks prior, except the grass was longer then, his grandfather too tired to cut it.

You don't really say what he painted a picture of, so we don't know WHERE his grandfather was too lazy to cut grass. We can use our intuition to figure it out, but for the sake of clarity, you know? Reading your story outloud is a GREAT way to catch little things like these. In all honesty, however, there weren't a lot of these in your story.

You balanced flashbacks and real time story almost perfectly. I thought that readers could get bored with a lot of flashbacks, but you scattered them throughout very well. You did explain everything in his backstory, though, and it would be nice to scatter that out throughout the story, fewer flash backs, but with more info with each one, so we see parts of who he is for brief but powerful moments...Does that make sense? Afterall, if we know everything about what happened to him earlier, readers lose curiosity.

OVERALL:

Loved this! I really did. My only critique is that you should read this outloud to catch any flow errors; it makes all the difference. Don't give out all the character information within the first chapters because readers lose interest. It's just a mental thing. I would really like to read more of this! I'm glad it's a novel so I get to read more. If you want to, I'd like if you let me know when you get a new chapter out. Keep it up,

Esther
It's writing prompt week on my blog a very random pickle!:
http://veryrandompickle.blogspot.com/

188 Reviews

Reviews: 188
Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:54 pm
EmmaJane says...

Hey gal. I saw this a while ago, but I've only just got the time today to review it. I have to admit, I'd only read the bottom half when I did come across it. I'd skimmed over it quickly, read something in the middle and then couldn't look away.

NITPICKS

What initially put me off was:
CHAPTER ONE

He wiped his brow as sweat dribbled down his forehead. The air was humid and sticky, he was lounging out on the front porch steps listening to his grandfather’s old radio. As his fingers drummed on the old wood of the porch, a few kids rode past his grandparents’ house on bicycles. The youngest shouted out to the others to slow down as the pink streamers hanging from her handlebars blew in the wind. The front screen door opened with a familiar creak as his grandmother’s shaky voice rang out; “Oliver, you better be hungry because I made us a feast tonight!” She laughed and went back into the house, saying “It’s almost ready, I could use some help in the kitchen”.

“Be there in a sec.” He glanced up at the sun; it was starting to set. There were only a few hours left before the moon made its appearance. The sky was a vibrant blue, touched by little puffs of clouds that resembled cotton balls. He looked toward the many apple trees in the front lawn. They reminded him of when he was younger and would spend his summer vacations with his grandparents. Oliver used to climb the branches to find the best apples for his grandmother’s famous apple pie. Then he’d run into the kitchen with a basket full of fresh, juicy apples and she’d bend down to kiss him on the cheek and tousle his moppy brown hair. As she baked her pie, he’d help his grandpa in the garage to fix up his old truck; it was always breaking down. He was only about seven at the time, but was the honorary flashlight holder. His grandfather would always look at him through his thick circle glasses and smile as Oliver stood on his toes to try and reach the hood of the truck. Then his grandpa would scratch the top of his head where there was a little tuft of white hair, and leave a streak of oil in it. Oliver wouldn’t tell him about it until they went back into the house for dinner and his grandmother would giggle and smile at him knowingly.

The size of these first two paragraphs. They were the first thing I saw of your story and immediately felt daunted. Huge paragraphs are usually a novice's mistake, and I felt trepidation at first when I approached your work, expecting this to be littered with mistakes. You proved me so wrong. This was easily one of the most engaging stories I've ever read. The flow and pace are wonderful. The dialogue was brilliant.
But that wasn't the impression I got when I saw those looming paragraphs!
He wiped his brow as sweat dribbled down his forehead. The air was humid and sticky, he was lounging out on the front porch steps listening to his grandfather’s old radio. As his fingers drummed on the old wood of the porch, a few kids rode past his grandparents’ house on bicycles. The youngest shouted out to the others to slow down as the pink streamers hanging from her handlebars blew in the wind.
The front screen door opened with a familiar creak as his grandmother’s shaky voice rang out;. “Oliver, you better be hungry because I made us a feast tonight!” She laughed and went back into the house, saying[comma] “It’s almost ready, I could use some help in the kitchen..
“Be there in a sec.”
He glanced up at the sun; it was starting to set. There were only a few hours left before the moon made its appearance. The sky was a vibrant blue, touched by little puffs of clouds that resembled cotton balls.
He looked toward the many apple trees in the front lawn. They reminded him of when he was younger and would spend his summer vacations with his grandparents. Oliver used to climb the branches to find the best apples for his grandmother’s famous apple pie. Then he’d run into the kitchen with a basket full of fresh, juicy apples and she’d bend down to kiss him on the cheek and tousle his moppy brown hair.
As she baked her pie, he’d help his grandpa in the garage to fix up his old truck; it was always breaking down. He was only about seven at the time, but was the honorary flashlight holder. Love! (: His grandfather would always look at him through his thick circle glasses and smile as Oliver stood on his toes to try and reach the hood of the truck. Then his grandpa would scratch the top of his head where there was a little tuft of white hair, and leave a streak of oil in it. Oliver wouldn’t tell him about it until they went back into the house for dinner and his grandmother would giggle and smile at him knowingly

“You guys! Wait Up!” The shouting of the neighborhood kids brought him out of his reverie and he hopped off the steps and unplugged the radio.

I'm not going to quote every paragraph, I swear. (X "Wait Up" has a capital "U" with "up". It should be lowercase.

He turned to find that it was Amir. Oliver playfully pushed him away, “Thanks for scaring the daylights out of me, man."

“You hid in the bushes?” Oliver smiled.How long were you there for?”

He looked over to the bushes that were in front of the porch. “It’s so easy to scare you.”

“You hid in the bushes?” Oliver smiled, “how long were you there for?”

“Long enough to see you staring at the apple trees with your mouth hanging open.” He smiled his half smile. “Your grandma make dinner for tonight yet?”

Just wanted to say how I loved their dialogue here. You've shown their friendship brilliantly.

An indescribable feeling washed over Oliver all at once.

Ah! Don't cheat! Every feeling can be described. C'mon, what's he feeling? ;]

His grandmother rinsed a head of lettuce off under the sink as she mumbled, “such a nice boy.” Clearly flattered.

Some restructuring needed:
Clearly flattered, his grandmother rinsed a head of lettuce off under the sink as she mumbled, “Such a nice boy.”

It’s been so long[comma] honey.”

“Your father had a lovely time[comma]she said

Her eyes darting darted to Oliver.
I think this would sound better if it's in the past tense, too.

“I feel like I’m speaking to a toddler[comma]she muttered.

“Yeah[comma]” Oliver lied.

SOMETHING USEFULL?

This should help with some of your dialogue punctuation. You've mostly got it nailed - there were just one or two things that this article will help you with.

CHARACTERS

Laura:The evil step-mother. The fairytale world's favourite cliché. Aw, Laura can't be that bad. No one is 100% a piece of work. Give her some reasons for why she is like she is. I'm not asking you to explain her life-story, but give an indication of how she has become so mean. No one is born either Evil or Good. Everyone's 50:50. Make sure you don't eclipse her humanity with her spite.
Is there a reason for her love of money? Was there not much of it when she was growing up? Trust me, explaining the why behind the cruelty will make her so much more believable and interesting.

Edgar: Typical push-over. The usual male character you get with an assertive wife is ... well, Edgar. He lets her talk him into doing anything, even if he would never do it if she weren't there. It's just... textbook, his character, really. Give him something that sets him apart. Make him challenge his wife openly, but have her do something sneaky that helps her get her own way. Or, reverse that. Make him seem like a push-over, but with wits sharper than your kitchen knife that helps him stop his wife from getting her way. I don't know - it's your choice. ;] Play around with his character a little.

Those were the only two I had a problem with. The rest were fine, especially your MC. I love him, truly. <3 ;D

Wow, I would mostly rmble about how good ths was - how easily you got us to really care for your MC - but you already know all this. I'm totally up for more. I want to know what happens next with Oliver. Please do PM me when you post more. And d post mre. Soon. (: Thank you for a good read.

~EmmaJane~
Your = Possession. Your shoes are so sweet!
You're = Omission. You're quite strange...

If you are confused about which to put, simply say in your mind "you are" and see if that fits the sentence. If not, you are looking for your.

Little Macey | Got YWS? | KOTS:BD

504 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 504
Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:04 am
Kafkaescence says...

onceuponatim3xo wrote: He wiped his brow as sweat dribbled down his forehead. The air was humid and sticky. He was lounging out on the front porch steps, listening to his grandfather’s old radio. As his fingers drummed on the old wood of the porch, a few kids rode past his grandparents’ house on bicycles. The youngest shouted out to the others to slow down as the pink streamers hanging from her handlebars blew in the wind. The front screen door opened with a familiar creak as his grandmother’s shaky voice rang out: “Oliver, you better be hungry because I made us a feast tonight!” She laughed and went back into the house, saying, “It’s almost ready, I could use some help in the kitchen." This whole paragraph sounds cluttered. The ideas seem halfhearted and unorganized, and it makes it all difficult to follow.

“Be there in a sec.” He glanced up at the sun; it was starting to set. There were only a few hours left before the moon made its appearance would show itself. The sky was a vibrant blue "Vibrant blue" is a description usually associated with midday. Since it's almost sunset, wouldn't it be a bit darker? , touched by Weird way to say that. little puffs of clouds that resembled cotton balls. He looked toward the many apple trees in the front lawn. They reminded him of when he was younger and would spend his summer vacations with his grandparents. Oliver used to climb the branches to find the best apples for his grandmother’s famousapple pie. Then he’d run into the kitchen with a basket full of fresh, juicy apples and she’d bend down to kiss him on the cheek and tousle his moppy brown hair. As she baked her pie, he’d help his grandpa in the garage to fix up his old truck; it was always breaking down. He was only about seven at the time, but was the honorary flashlight holder. His grandfather would always look at him through his thick circle round glasses and smile as Oliver stood on his toes to try and reach the hood of the truck. Then his grandpa would scratch the top of his head where there was a little tuft of white hair Sounds too much like the cloud description. , and leave a streak of oil in it. Oliver wouldn’t tell him about it until they went back into the house for dinner and his grandmother would giggle and smile at him knowingly. At who knowingly? It could be the grandpa or the MC. But either way, "knowingly" isn't really the best word.

“You guys! Wait Up!” The shouting of the neighborhood kids brought him out of his reverie and he hopped off the steps and unplugged the radio. It was the last summer he'd spent with his grandparents until now This doesn't make any sense. Needs reworkage. . Although it was ten years ago, nothing seemed to have changed. When he was at home he often found himself painting those bright red apples that he used to pluck for his grandma.

He began to ravel up the cord but jumped slightly when a mocha-skinned hand unexpectedly gripped his shoulder. He turned to find that it was Amir. Oliver playfully pushed him away.Thanks for scaring the daylights Does he seriously use the word "daylights" just casually? out of me, man.”

“No problem!” He snickered and Kind of ruins the whole sarcasm thing. knelt to tie a shoelace.

“Where’d you come from anyway? I didn’t see you coming at all.” Who said that? Don't leave me guessing.

HeAmir lookedglanced over to at the bushes that were in front of the porch. “It’s so easy to scare you.”

“You hid in the bushes?” Oliver smiled.How long were you there for?”

“I know.” Amir winked as he ran up the porch steps and swung open the screen door. He looked back at Oliver and motioned with a hand Well, duh. for him to follow.

Oliver shook his head, laughing at Amir’s antics. Once he finished packing up the radio, he followed behind. As he entered the house, he was immediately welcomed by all of the frames hanging on the walls of the threshold with old photographs Same structure as the last sentence. Sounds odd. . Oliver went into the living room to see that his grandfather was sitting in histhe recliner. He had been watching an old black and white movie, but had clearly fallen asleep. His glasses were sliding off of his face, and his mouth was hanging open. Amir had gone straight for the couch, his body sprawled out across the length of it as he watched the TV.

The kitchen was a warm and inviting place; there was always some delicious smell coming from the oven. This time, Oliver couldn’t really tell what it was but it smelled a bit like cinnamon. His grandma was in a tizzy taking out serving spoons and knives and plates all at once. He went to give her a hand and realized she wasn’t kidding about them having a feast. “What’s the occasion?” he asked, nodding to the excessive amounts of food laid out on the breakfast bar counter.
(space here)

“Grandma, I know that face, you’re hiding something. Tell me!” he chuckled.

She hesitated, turning to the sink. As she rinsed off a pan she gave in. “Well, What if I were to say that your parents are coming home tonight?

An indescribable feeling washed over Oliver all at once. It left a bitter taste in his mouth. “Really?” The word was flat, showing quite easily his disappointment.

It was always so effortless for people to know his emotions. He had been told many times before that people could read him like an open book. His grandma proved this theory by turning and walking; hobbled and slow as usual, up to him to pat him on the back. “Your stepmother and I talked on the phone for quite some time. I think that the two of them going to California has helped them a lot.”

“Soon, in less than a half an hour. Just in time for dinner.” Wouldn't they be notified sooner? That's pretty strange.

He looked over to Amir and his grandpa in the living room, “Amir came by, hope you don’t mind he stays for dinner.”
(space here)
My grandmother snickered. Uh, can you picture a grandmother "snickering?" I definitely can't. Not the right word. I don’t know why you even ask,That boy is always welcome here. He knows that too; he’s been over here quite often,especially at dinnertime. Besides, I already made sure to make enough for him anyway.”
(space here)
Oliver laughed. “I know; he says that your cooking is much better than his mother’s.”

His grandmother rinsed a head of lettuce off under the sink as she mumbled, “Such a nice boy.” Clearly flattered. She loved to hear that she had good cooking, it was her favorite compliment. “Honey, can you set those out on the dining table?” She pointed to theseveral plates of food sitting on the counter opposite them.

“No problem.” He grabbed a large pot of spaghetti and a plate of chicken and took them out of the kitchen and into the dining room. Just as he set down the plates, the front door swung open and the air immediately changed to a cold and tense feeling.
(space here, because it's a new speaker)
“Hi!” The voice was familiarly irritating. He slowly looked up from the dining table to see a verybronze, light haired What's that mean? Do you mean light-colored hair? , and You don't have to describe her all at once with a big jumble of adjectives. skinny woman holding several bags in hand holding hands with a stiff and somewhat chubby man standing awkwardly behind her.

“Oliverrr!” Her nasally voice rang out his name shrilly. “Give me a hug! It’s been so long, honey.”

He walked over to the couple hesitantly as she wrapped her arms around him "As" implies "at the same time," and obviously she isn't hugging him at the same time that he is walking towards her. and squeezed, managing to jab him with one of her long, fake (If it's plastic, then we already can guess that it's fake.) , plastic nails. “Hi Laura, How was California, Laura?” he mumbled.

He tried to ignore her racist remark, but a sarcastic “and?” slipped out under his breath. She gave him a slight glare You don't "give" someone a glare. You can glare at people, though. but quickly dismissed what he had said. That makes it sound like she convinced herself that he hadn't said anything.

“Your father had a lovely time.” She said as she pat his dad’s stomach. “Didn’t you, pookie?”

Oliver gagged a little at the remembrance of such a disgusting pet name for his father. His father, Edgar, seemed to blush He seemed to blush? Or he blushed? a little in embarrassment and coughed in agreement.

Laura let out a short breath, a huff, as she set down her bags and strode over to the dining table. She frowned in disapproval as she inspected the dark mahogany table top surface. “Oliver, that table’s dirty; take these plates back off of it and wipe it down.”

He glanced at the dining table. It seemed to be fine, but nothing escaped his stepmother's critical eye. Walking back into the kitchen, he set down the plates and gripped the edge of the breakfast bar in frustration. While his grandmother’s back was turned to him, Oliver put his head in his hands. Not much time had passed before he felt a frail hand on his shoulder. He looked up to meet his grandmother’s aged yet kind eyes. He sighed slightly and nodded in agreement to her reassuring motion. He grabbed a rag, andcautiously Why would he be cautious? entered entering the dining room.

I shall review the second half at a later date.

-Kafka
#TNT

WRFF

504 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 504
Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:42 am
Kafkaescence says...

Laura was picking at her nails, sitting cross-legged at the table, opposite his father her husband. “Your mother’s house smells, Edgar,” Laura said under her breath.

“It’s from the cooking,” Oliver saidwith a slight glare, glaring. How dare she insult his grandmother’s home so blatantly?
(space here)
Laura looked up at him, surprised, almost as if she had already forgotten that he was there. She somehow managed to smiled, with pursed lips lips pursed, and in a condescending tone said, “I suppose so.” Then she cleared her throat. “How was your summer, Oliver?”

As they all sat down to eat, Laura attempted to make small talk but resorted to asking leaned forward and asked his grandmother, “Haveyou had any problems?” Her eyes darted to Oliver.

His grandma smiled, her eyes crinkling.Not in the very least. The boys have been great, very helpful.” She looked to Oliver and Amir. She liked to think that Amir was another grandchild, which he very well could be, since he stayed over so much. Oliver’s grandfather patted Amir on the back, and he smiled when he realized that she was talking about him.

“That’s good.” Laura looked down at her plate as she cut some chicken. There was an awkward silence A bit cliched. for a while after, with only the muffled sound of the television that Oliver’s grandfather had left on in the background and the clinking of silverware to fill the silence. Then, Laura cleared her throat again. “Your father and I have something to discuss with you after dinner, Oliver.”

He never understood why she did that. “Why not just tell me now?”

“Well, now is not-”

Finally, His father spoke. “Laura, we might as well.” He coughed, then smiled feebly at his wife.

Oliver shook his head. Where was she going with this one? Uh, he must be really dumb, because it's right there in front of him.

His cousin Phillip was the son of his aunt and uncle on his stepmother’s side. Aunt Lisa and Uncle Robert, with their darling little son, Phillip, were the one’s that Edgar and Laura were visiting in California. His Aunt Lisa and Laura were sisters and they might as well have been twins, they were exactly alike. Which was why, when given the option to either stay with his grandparents or spend a month with not only one Laura, but another two, Oliver gladly chose to come to Massachusetts rather than go with them to California. He still wasn’t sure which personality was worse though, the Laura/Lisa personality, or the Phillip one. ‘Darling little Phillip’ was a pompous, know-it-all kid, with thick rimmed glasses and a mighty case of acne. Not to mention his salivation problem which gave him a strong lisp, or rather “lishp”. He liked to challenge Oliver on everything whenever he visited, but Oliver was always able to outwit him.

“I go to Jefferson High,” Oliver repeated in disbelief. Not exactly the smartest guy around. Again.

Crossing her legs, she looked back down at her plate as she violentlycut her chicken.Not anymore.”

“I don’t... I don’t understand.” Oliver looked to Amir as if he could shed some light on this. Amir looked dubious.

“What’s not to understand? Your father and I enrolled you at Ralfour Academy so that you can have a brighter future. You’re welcome can thank us for looking out for you.” Her eyebrows rose.

“What’s wrong with Jefferson?” Oliver suddenly didn’t feel good suddenly. his stomach turned thinking about leaving the school where he knew everyone, where he had a name for himself. Leaving all of his friends.

“I feel like I’m speaking to a toddler,” she muttered. “Edgar, you tell the boy.” That's mean, even for this mean character. I think you're going over the top here.

Edgar looked as though he didn’t want to say anything. at all Oliver knew almost instantly that this was not his father’s decision by the forced look on his face. “Oliver, Laura and I want a good future for you, and Ralfour Academy will provide you with the skills to get into a college like Harvard or Yale.”

His father looked even more pained after hearing what he had said.

Laura snorted. “That’s the most ridiculous idea I have ever heard! You’ll have no future as an artist; you need to give it up and become a doctor, or evena lawyer like your father. We’re not going to let you bum off of your father Just said "your father." for money. You need to make your own living.”

Oliver’s grandmother started to speak, saying something about how talented he was, but Laura shot her down, rambling on and on about financial things.

Oliver could feel his temper rising. They never supported him. He knew that she wanted him to get one of those awfully stuffy Already described it like this. non-free spirit Weird way to describe it. jobs so that it was insured that she would have all of his father’s money to herself. It was obvious that that was the only reason she had married him, his father was a fool for marrying a gold-digger like her. The fact that she wanted him to go away to some school in New York pissed him off too; he knew it was because she wanted to be able send him away and have the house all to herself and his father. He wanted to scream as his hands clenched on his fork and knife I know you're referring to Oliver, but technically it should be referring to his father. So tweak the wording. . He missed when it was just him and his father: there was never any drama.

The anger boiling inside of him, Oliver dropped his silverware loudly on his plate, pushed away his chair, and stormed out the door.

The screen door closed with a thwack as he got into his car to be immersed in the familiar smell of leather and the green air freshener hanging from his mirror. His fingers gripped around the steering wheel and with his eyes closed tightly, he took a deep breath, then let it out. It was his way of decompressing.

It was strange to see Amir’s usually cheerful face so solemn. It made him feel awful for having caused a scene like he had, but he couldn’t bear to go back in the house at this point. He jabbed his key in the ignition and peeled out of the driveway. He didn’t know where he was going, but he knew that he needed to get away from there. The vibration of the engine felt soothing to him as he sped down the country roads. As he drove, he lost track of where he was, whizzing past barns and houses here and there until he found himself parking at a familiar place.

He walked through the tall grass, past the abandoned tractor, to find himself sitting on and sat upon a bridge that overlooked a crick. His grandparents used to take him there all the time when he was little. It used to be a cider mill, but went out of business a few years back.

Reaching into his pocket, he found his notebook. Grabbing the small pencil that was nestled in the rings of the binding to the notebook, he began to draw his surroundings These last two sentences have the exact same structure. Rework them. . He drew for what seemed like hours, trying to find some peace of mind.

It wasn’t just the fact that they were forcing him to go to a new school in a new state that bothered him, but also the fact that as soon as they just waltzed right back into his life they were able to ruin it again in a matter of seconds. This sentence is waaay too long. Also, try expanding on that idea.

Jefferson High School wasn’t the best school; the girls were catty, the guys were jerks. But it still felt like home. Oliver had been in that school district his whole life, even in kindergarten when his real mother had decided to leave Oliver as a child, with only a note left to remember her by. His real mother had left him in Kindergarten (should be capitalized), with only a note to remember her by.

His mother had gone off with some other, richer family, and after years of depression, his father had married another woman. His second marriage had only lasted a few years, until she started to cheat on him with the pizza delivery man. When Oliver had turned fourteen, his father, Edgar, found Laura at a Night Club, and married her within the first few months of dating her. He told Oliver that it was true love, but Oliver knew that it wasn’t. His parental figures were not the best role models for true love, but he knew that what Edgar and Laura had was definitely not something called love.

At a young age, Oliver had found that Edgar had a habit of marrying women This sounds like he's been married to lots of women. that lacked empathy and were ignorant to the world (Think of another way to occupy this space; apathy does not necessarily imply ignorance.) . In a way, he almost felt bad for Edgar, for his incapability of ever advocating for himself. He tended to take the backseat in relationships. But, at the same time Oliver was frustrated by the fact that Edgar couldn’t see women for their beauty within. He hated how his own father was only attracted to younger women. Laura had obviously only married him for his money because she would always guilt-trip him into buying her diamonds and have him take her on countless cruises and vacations. Why else would a woman as young as twenty-eight year old Laura want a fifty-something year old man like his father? In a way, it really disgusted Oliver. It made him feel as though his own father was a pig. He had vowed early on to never follow in Edgar’s foot steps; to live from the heart.

A frog that was hidden in the lilies by the crick croaked loudly and snapped Oliver out of his thoughts. He looked at the sky; it was getting to that time when the sun turned everything a honey color. Closing the notebook, he glanced at his phone. It said that it was 7:36 PM. There were several voicemails from his family. He decided to go back to his grandparents’ house before they began to worry about him.

Amir hopped off the steps as the car parked and he walked up to the passenger’s side window. As Oliver rolled it down, Amir asked in a very knowing tone, “You okay?”

“Yeah,” Oliver lied.

Amir frowned, knowing full well that his friend was lying. “Let’s get out of here.” Then he opened the door to sit in the passenger seat.

Thanks for the request! I enjoyed this. Keep it up.

-Kafka
#TNT

WRFF

770 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 770
Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:07 pm
borntobeawriter says...

Hey there Once!

It's really funny that you should ask for a review because Spitfire is my sister and I was with her when she gave you yours. haha ;)

Okay, well, first of all, I loved everything before Amir arrived. Why? Because you made me smile, made the grand-parents come alive. Kudos to you for that. I was picturing my own grand-parents with their own little quirks.

I was really confused when Amir arrived because I was wondering whether I'd skipped a chapter. I mean, you don't explain him at all. I figured he was a best friend, but more than that? I mean, if Oliver stayed there for a month, does he live in the same neighbourhood so that his friend can come when he wants? Maybe slip something, a little description in the dialogue, which was fantastic, by the way. Oliver chuckled at his best friend's antics. (Something to that effect.)

My other issue would be with the fact that he goes from despair to laughing in 2.5 seconds. His grandma tells him his parents are coming and he's disappointed, then laughing at her, thinking of nothing, then the parents walk in. If I was him, in his situation, I would have probably said, "she's not my mother." Cliché, but we get the point across. And still, we'll be wondering if he's just being petulant until we meet the step-mom.

I agree with everything Emma said about the characters. You can't just have evil (anymore) for the sake of being evil. You need to have a reason. As well as the weak father you just want to slap some back bone with. (I know a few of those!)

Other than that, I really enjoyed this. It had a nice blend of flashbacks, humour, interesting characters and plot. Just make sure you stay away from anything cliché. As Emma said, twist it around, make it your own.

Let me know when you have more to review!

Tanya

377 Reviews

Reviews: 377
Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:44 pm
seeminglymeaningless says...

Hi :) One half of the Dynamic Duo here. Sorry about the delay! Your chapter just intimidated me so much that I flitted around cleaning the house to avoid doing it haha :P Seriously though. The reason why you haven't received natural reviews on this isn't because this is a bad piece of work, but because it's so HUGE. Mind numbingly huge. Gigantic.

So how can this be avoided/fixed? Really simple - just cut this chapter in half (and even maybe half again), and post it in parts. ie: Chapter One - Part One. Chapter One - Part Two. Chapter One - Part Three. Really easy, and makes reviewers happy too - what's that? Three reviews instead of one huge long review?

How does this benefit you? By breaking up this chapter, you're giving your reviewers less to focus on each time, so they'll give you more advice about separate parts than if they'd reviewed the whole thing. Does that make sense? Anyway, off I go to review.

- Jai

He wiped his brow as sweat dribbled down his forehead. The air was humid and sticky. He was lounging out on the front porch steps, listening to his grandfather’s old radio. As his fingers drummed on the old wood of the porch, a few kids rode past his grandparents’ house on bicycles. The youngest shouted out to the others to slow down as the pink streamers hanging from her handlebars blew in the wind.

The problem I had with this paragraph was the fact that you didn't name your character. Any time you used "him" or "his", Oliver would have sounded better.

“Be there in a sec.” The sky was a vibrant blue, tinged by little puffs of clouds that resembled cotton balls.

That's a really interesting dialogue tag ;) I think some kind of link would make this sound more reasonable: "Be there in a sec." Oliver glanced upwards at the vibrant blue sky...etc"

S stiff and somewhat chubby man stood awkwardly behind her.

“Oliverrr!” Her nasally voice rang out his name shrilly.

haha

‘Darling little Phillip’ was a pompous, know-it-all kid, with thick rimmed glasses and a mighty case of acne. Not to mention his salivation problem which gave him a strong lisp, or rather “lishp”. He liked to challenge Oliver on everything whenever he visited, but Oliver was always able to outwit him.

Wouldn't Oliver outwitting him mean that Oliver was a know-it-all too?

Wow. I'm sorry I left it so long to read this. I sincerely apologise. Once I got started on this, I couldn't stop reading. Absolutely riveting, and your style of writing is so professional. You describe just enough - but I do think that a little more description wouldn't go amiss.

I loved Oliver's backstory and his hatred for his father and third "mother". A really realistic scenario these days. The only fault I could find in this is that you're writing about a teenager going to a new school. It's been so overdone that I hope yours is completely something new and different :)

I hope Amir plays a more crucial part in the next chapter, otherwise his addition to the story seems awfully pointless. Especially as Oliver isn't going to see him if he's attending a school in New York.

Very good story, fantastic grammar, syntax and overall just great. Loved this first chapter.

Oh. I think this picture would suit your title.

Thanks for asking for the review - certainly don't hesitate to drop in and ask for another (I do realise this one was quite short - there just wasn't anything wrong with your story!).

- Jai
I have an approximate knowledge of many things.

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:06 pm
Sins says...

Heya! :)

You seem to have gotten some great reviews here already, so I want to apologise in advance is this is rather short and unhelpful. Nonetheless,I will at least try to come up with something that will help you out. If you have any questions or comments about this review when it's done, just let me know on my wall or whatever. Before I begin, ZOMG, I love the name Oliver, especially when shortened to Ollie. Anyway.

As a whole, I thought this was really good actually. Your writing itself is great. It flows perfectly, it's easy to follow and overall, your grammar's pretty good. Like a few of the others have said, I really like Oliver's character. I may be biased because of his name (it's just so awesome), but nonetheless, I do think you have his personality down well. Something that supports my opinion of this being good is the fact that this is written in third person. Now, I'm not normally a fan of third person writing at all really, but I definitely liked this. So yeah... thumbs up!

Now onto critiques. I have to agree with Emma on what she said about Edgar and Laura. They are characters that are seen very often. Like she said, you have the typical pushover father with a younger wife who is horrible, therefore, the child hates her. Plus, there's the usual mistake of the stepmother being completely evil, and not the least bit nice. I won't go into any more details because I'll only be repeating what's already been said. Staying on the theme of characters though, I'd like to mention Amir. Right now, he seems very black and white to me.

I mean, we have no idea what he looks like, to begin with. We know what his hand looks like... but not him. We don't really know who he is either. I'm, guessing that he's Oliver's best friend, but I'd like more details. Now, I don't want his life story, but I suppose I want you to bring him to life more. It's not that he has no personality, but it's just that he seems so... I don't know. Random? right now because of the fact he appeared form nowhere really. Does that make any sense?

My main critique for you though is the fact that it sometimes feels like you're giving us too information as we're reading. I think Esther may have mentioned this actually. Err, okay, let me explain. Let's take the situation of Oliver's birth mother, for example. At some point, you basically tell us what happened to her. You know, she disappeared for no apparent reason. To put it simply, I didn't want you to tell me that. I wanted you to keep it a secret because it would have gripped me to read further, just to find out what did happen to his mother.

There are some places where I think you could hold back a bit and not give us the information you give us, especially if it's something quite major, so long as keeping it a secret won't confuse the readers. Another problem it causes is that by telling us quite a bit about people's background can sometimes make it feel as though you're telling us things rather than showing us.

Negatives aside, I really do think this is a nice chapter here. Admittedly, not an awful lot happens, but I don't think that's a huge problem. You maybe could have had more of a hook at the ending, like a sentence that made us think and want to read on--something to do with the mother could have been good, but overall, so far, so good. You've created a likeable MC, your writing style is lovely, and I'm genuinely interested in the plot. So long as you avoid some of the clichés and hold some background details back, this could be wonderful. With a bit of tweaking, you'll be able to make it just that. Keep up the good work! Like I said before, if you have any questions or whatever about this, be sure to let me know.

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:30 pm
WaitingForLife says...

Alrighty then. First off, sorry for taking so long to get to this; schoolwork had me down and under. Analytic geometry my a**... Second off, sorry for the completely useless review you're gonna get.

This did make up for the king and the magician, and more. Your flow is great and you have a nice vocabulary. I completely agree with Skins though; you should let us know a bit less, to keep some mystery for us to unravel in our own minds. Skins explained that well, heed him.

Aaaaand... that's it I'm afraid. I've nothing further to say for all the reviews above mine, and repeating them seems vain and would do to only confuse you. Great chapter. :)

~Life
Call me crazy; I prefer 'enjoys life while one can'.
-------
The pen's mightier than the sword - especially when it's wielded by a flipmothering dragon.
-------
◥▶◀◤

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:18 am
Ego says...

Hello.

As requested.

Disclaimer: Everything in this review is opinion. While I won't always say "In my opinion,." it should always be implied unless explicitly stated otherwise. I don't presume to think my opinion is law, and neither should you. If you think something works for your story, and I disagree, go with your own instinct. YOU are the creator of this world. We just vacation here.

Overall, I liked it. I really didn't expect to, honestly, but I did. I found myself preferring to read about Amir than Oliver (it actually took a me a moment to come up with your protagonist's name because Amir overshadows him a bit), though that is to be expected since Amir is inherently more likable.

Couple spacing, spelling, and punctuation errors. Nothing you won't find upon a thorough read through.

He drew for what seemed like hours, trying to find some peace of mind.

Boring. Expand on it. Telling us he drew for hours is meaningless when it took us only a few seconds to read it.

You have a good sense of the city Oliver's in. I like that. It shows a proper planning when determining the setting of your piece (which, incidentally, has reminded me that this is something my current piece is severely lacking.) The little details about the landscape really give us a sense of where he is, which is good.

Of mice and men.

It really reminded me of reading Steinbeck, which is both a testament to writing style and a proclamation that I was completely bored, throughout. I couldn't really bring myself to care much about any character besides Amir (liked him) and Oliver's father (he's a fool).

On hopeless artists.

We discover that Oliver is an artist by reading the piece, but we don't get the sense that he is artistic. This may seem counter-intuitive, but it comes back to showing, rather than telling, and therefore goes back to the paragraph I quoted earlier.

Overall, a decent enough first chapter.

--D
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

721 Reviews

Reviews: 721
Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:45 am
View Likes
Azila says...

Hi, Once! I'm really sorry that it took me so terribly long to get to this. Also, you have had a lot of really thorough reviews so far, so I'm not sure how helpful I'll be... but I shall try. And I'll also try not to repeat other people too much, though I've only skimmed the other reviews.

For the most part, your sentences flow very smoothly and you have very little typos, so I'm not going to do any nit-picky critiques. But there are a few places where your word choice or phrasing is a little awkward, so I do suggest (I think someone else may have mentioned this as well...) reading this out-loud to yourself, though because that will help you find the stumbling-blocks.

Over all, though, I thought this was very nice. It certainly kept me reading (despite the length)--it kept me interested the whole way through and when I got to the end I was left curious and eager for more. Good job! It's not easy to do that, especially on the internet where it's hard to have an attention span much longer than a few hundred words. Also, seeing as this is the beginning of a novel, I think you have a lot of potential here. Oliver really seems to be a well-designed and well-thought-out character, and I think he will serve you well as a protagonist. I can already feel myself caring about him and empathizing with him after just the first chapter, so good job on that as well.

You also (and I think this is what I like so much about your writing) have a great way with creating moods. In the beginning, you portray carefree happiness without explicitly telling the reader that this is a happy, carefree scene. Then, as Oliver's moods change, the whole tone of the writing changes as well... really well done. I really liked the scene where he's out drawing; I can feel his mind calming itself down. I can feel how it hardly matters what his pencil is creating, as long as it's creating something--some way to vent his frustration. I could relate to that, and I thought you portrayed it excellently. I can tell Oliver is somewhat moody, and moody characters are hard to handle well, but you're doing fantastically. He feels realistic and well-fleshed-out.

However, I'm going to be perfectly honest and say that he's the only character I can say that about. I can tell you've put a lot of thought into him and made him very three-dimensional and real, but I'd like to see you put the same attention into the other characters. Right now they all feel a little bit cardboard to me. They're all just there to serve various purposes, like props: the grandmother and grandfather are the sweet, mentoring adult figures who will love unconventionally but are also responsible for taking care of Olliver; Amir is the loyal, innocent friend; Edgar is the push-over dad who's too selfish to be close with his son, and Laura is the young, hyper-critical, narcissistic step-mother who's always got something unfortunate up her sleeve. I feel like not only are these characters characters I've seen before, but I think I can already predict the purpose that they are going to serve in the novel. If I were you, I'd work on freshening them up a bit and really trying not to make them fall into stereotypes. Some stereotypes are alright, but if you have too many it just starts to feel predictable.

Also, as someone else mentioned, this whole thing feels rather black-and-white at the moment. I can tell who is good and who is bad--I can tell what scenes are happy and what scenes are sad... and there's no grey area in between. There's nobody who I like even though they have flaws, or who I dislike even though they're out for the common good. There's no point where I'm not sure I agree with how Oliver feels because everything that happens to him is just so obviously right or wrong, good or bad.

Other people have been talking about your info-dumping. I think Skins mentioned this, and a few other people as well. It's definitely a good point--but I'm actually more concerned about how you give us the information than the fact that you give it. This is something that I see people struggling with a lot--especially in the beginnings of novels: how to give the reader enough information to have things make sense while at the same time giving them enough action to keep them interested. Some people have almost nothing happening at all in their first few chapters, to give their readers a chance to get to know the character(s) and setting and such before things heat up. Other people dive straight into action and let readers pick things up as they go along. Most people go somewhere in the middle: there's action, but pretty mellow action to still give some space to explain things and give background.That's what you're doing, but the problem is that it feels a little bit staged.

The way it's written seems like you're just writing things that are relevant to what is going on, and for the most part you do a great job with that, but there are parts that feel unrealistic. For example, would he really be thinking about his history concerning his birth parents in this situation? Maybe, I guess, if he thinks about it a lot... but I somewhat doubt it. I think he's thinking about that for my sake. I think this is sort of excusable to do in a short story, because it's... well... short! But in a novel, you've got time. It's okay if your readers have questions after the first chapter. Some of my favorite novels are ones where I don't really understand what the world is like until I'm a good deal of the way into it. You don't have to do this, but keep in mind that it's okay to just allude to things; you don't have to say them outright. To use the same example as I did earlier, he could just thing about his mother in a way that implies that she's dead, without actually saying it--then as the novel goes on, if this happens a few times, we'll start to get the picture. In my opinion, this is something that will really make people interested in continuing to read the novel.

Oh, one more thing before I stop rambling. ^_^ The setting. Is it supposed to be modern-day? Because the way you're describing it sounds either somewhat old-fashioned (1960s/'70s maybe?) or almost Midwestern/Southern. This is the internet, so I'm not going to give anything away about myself... but I just might know something about living in Massachusetts. As in, I just might have lived there (by which I might mean here) my whole life. And this doesn't really feel like Massachusetts as I know it. People aren't that friendly here, and while you do mention cider orchards and such I kept picturing a scene that's more like Ohio, or maybe even Missouri. Whatever. This might just be me.

All in all, good job! You have an excellent way with words, that's for sure. I just think you need to work on freeing this up a little bit because right now it just feels ever-so-slightly superficial. Have faith in yourself! You obviously have a lot of talent, so allow yourself to get carried away. Don't feel like you have to give readers all the information they need, or that you have to create characters who have a well-defined role... focus on making it feel realistic and your readers will catch on. ^_~

I apologize once again for being so frightfully late with this review. I hope it helps somewhat. Please PM me or write on my wall if you've got any questions/comments/conniptions!

Beamishly,
a

Generally speaking, a howling wilderness does not howl: it is the imagination of the traveler that does the howling.
— Henry David Thoreau