z

Young Writers Society

In need of things to read

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:01 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

Apparently I don't have enough points to be able to submit my story to the advanced critique section. :( So I figured this would be a good way for me to be able to get more points.

Types of writing I'll read
Short stories
Novels/chapters from novels

Types of writing I WON'T read
Poetry

Poetry just doesn't stick with me. The only poetry I've ever really enjoyed has been Shel Silverstein, but that's just -reading- and not critiquing.

Scripts/plays (although it could depend on what it's about)

Genres I'll read
Fantasy/action/adventure (to me they're kinda the same in some ways)
MAYBE some fan fiction- but probably only Star Wars

Genres I won't read
Modern day fiction or non-fiction
Sci-fi (unless it's Star Wars, which falls under fan fiction)
Romance (it can certainly be -part- of, say, a fantasy story, but I'd prefer it to not be the primary genre)
Horror
Crime

I can't think of anything else, but I'm sure I'm forgetting a genre.

Critiquing strengths
Grammar/spelling
Character development, to an extent
Plot development, to an extent- possibly giving ideas if something is sparked
Dialogue

I don't currently really have a critiquing sample to link to- at least, nothing that's not more than maybe a paragraph long that I can think of. If you absolutely need one, I'll go look and see if I can find anything.

In return for the critique...
I would love some more critiques for my Child of Ashes story, which is the story I want to put up in the advanced critique section. I only have the prologue and first two chapters posted here, but if you don't mind downloading the third and fourth chapters (because that's all I have written, sadly), you can read them in the advanced critique section once I get them posted.

Child of Ashes: Outcast- prologue
Chapter One: Fate Knocks
Chapter Two: Cesarina's Return

I think that's about it. As people request, I'll make a list of the stories I'm going to critique in this post and the ones I'll have posted critiques for.

As of today, April 25th, I would like to only take five requests for critiques. This will change eventually, but right now I'm restricting it to five.

59 Reviews

Tue May 06, 2008 1:04 am
AWritersFantasy says...

:| I'm still in need of things to read! I need more points so I can post in the advanced critique section.

So, yes, other than to help you guys get reviews, that is my main reason for wanting to critique more. Anyone have any stories they need critiqued? I have a recent critique I can link to if anyone needs it. o.o

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Tue May 06, 2008 1:35 am
JFW1415 says...

AWritersFantasy wrote:Genres I won't read
Modern day fiction or non-fiction

If it weren't for that, I'd ask about my story 'Repercussions.'

Sorry, but if you change your mind about the modern day fiction, I would love a review there!

~JFW1415

59 Reviews

Tue May 06, 2008 1:39 am
AWritersFantasy says...

Yeah, I'm really not a huge fan of modern day fiction. The closest things I've enjoyed to that genre have been Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mockingbird, and The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books. But I don't know if I could really review that kind of story. :|

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Tue May 06, 2008 1:58 am
JFW1415 says...

AWritersFantasy wrote:Yeah, I'm really not a huge fan of modern day fiction. The closest things I've enjoyed to that genre have been Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mockingbird, and The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books. But I don't know if I could really review that kind of story. :|

It's okay. You just seemed desperate. :wink:

~JFW1415

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue May 06, 2008 2:05 am
Emerson says...

You didn't say you don't do historical fiction! Oh, but it really may not be your "thing". And if it isn't, don't feel bad! You seem a bit desperate to review. ^^, I don't need the reviews, but I didn't want to leave you lonely either.

topic26670.html
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

59 Reviews

Tue May 06, 2008 2:16 am
AWritersFantasy says...

Er, yeah, that's another one. >.> Pretty much anything outside of Star Wars fan fiction and fantasy are going to be a little iffy for me to read, but I'll at least try to take a look at yours.

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:41 pm
TaylaChase says...

Will you please review this for me?

Dragon Tamer
Fantasy Fiction
G

topic50758.html

Thanks!

~Tayla
A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
~Albert Einstein

I'm not afraid of death, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
~Anonymous

I am the author of my life. Unfortunately I'm writing in pen and I can't erase my mistakes. . .
~Anonymous

59 Reviews

Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:20 am
AWritersFantasy says...

This thread is over a year old and I'm not an active member anymore, so...>.> I just get topic reply notifications so that's how I know you asked me to read for you. Sorry. :|

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:19 pm
defendthelegend says...

look in my portfolio I need some review for a few of mine especially

the incredible journey
snap
Molly

thanks
I wrote your name in the sand and the sea washed it away! I wrote your name in my heart and there it will stay.

287 Reviews

Reviews: 287
Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:17 pm
Maki-Chan says...

can you read my story? I am only getting one person to review it (the reviewer loves it).
It is fanfiction, but you don't have to know anything about it. Cause I am going to explain everything in later chapters.

I have two chapters

prologue +chapter 1= topic50817.html

chapter 2= topic50871.html

If you don't like chapter one you don't have to continue on.

btw it is Silent hill.
check out my deviantart account ^_^
http://maki121.deviantart.com/

59 Reviews

Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:32 am
AWritersFantasy says...

As I said, I am no longer active here and this thread is over a year old. I am not taking any requests to read anything from here. I also do not read Silent Hill.

To any mods, please close this thread.

166 Reviews

Reviews: 166
Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:19 pm
DreamyAlice says...

Hello, I am one of the res crew mods here on YWS. This is a message just to inform you that I will lock and archive this thread as it is not active anymore. We have to archive and lock the inactive threads to keep the forum organized so no worries if you'd like to reopen it at any point in the future please contact a current resources moderator, we would be happy to reopen it for you ^-^

-ALICE
Imagination is a superpower. Use it well!

“Can a magician kill a man by magic?” Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. “I suppose a magician might,” he admitted, “but a gentleman never could.”
— Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell