Young Writers Society

I want to read your novel!

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:48 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Hi I want to read your novel!

Please read all of the details below before requesting and note I am ONLY reviewing novels. :)

Services offered:
1. Isolated chapter reviews: I will do a regular review for ANY chapter of your novel. I will read up to three isolated chapters for any one novel, and if you want me to read three different chapters, they don't have to be in order (for example, it could be 1, 9, & 16). I don't care if it's not the first chapter.

2. Chapter-by-chapter reviews: This means I will read and review every single chapter of your novel start to finish (or until you stop posting). I may not post a review for every single chapter or section you post, depending on the novel and my thoughts, I may combine my thoughts on a few chapters into one review, but I will read the entire thing. If you go more then two months without posting a new chapter I will take you off my list, but you can always ask to be added back to my list in the future. Please check genres I will review below!

3. Reviewing reviews: Do you want to improve your reviewing skills? Do you struggle to get the full 100 points when you review? Have people told you you're too harsh or too nice and you want to change that? Do you struggle to come up with what to say other than grammar and nitpicking in reviews? Let me try to help! This ONLY applies to reviews on prose (not poetry/scripts/art). I will read some of your recent reviews and send you a PM with some suggestions of how you could up your review game.

What are my reviews like?
**I'm more of a general impressions person rather than a nit-picky grammar person.
**For isolated chapter and chapter-by-chapter reviews, what I talk about will vary, but I usually cover: what worked/didn't work for me and why, thoughts on characters/plot/dialogue/pacing, world-building/believability, and whatever else comes to mind.
**For any level of review, if there are specific things you're worried about or would like feedback about, please mention that and I will do my best to cover it! I will not do grammar/word choice only reviews.
Please note that I may suggest huge changes. I may suggest that you cut scenes, combine scenes, cut characters, change plot lines, re-do major sections, etc. If that freaks you out, you may not be ready for my review style (and that's okay!) :)

Genres I'll read:
**If it's an isolated chapter, I'll read pretty much anything other than the stuff on my "no" list (below)
**If I'm doing a chapter-by-chapter review I'm going to be a little more picky. I will ONLY read realistic/contemporary fiction and/or romance.
Realistic fiction with no romance in it - good to go.
Realistic fiction with romance in it - heart eyes.
Any other genre with a STRONG romance plot (like a main plot line not a sub-plot) - good to go.
Any other genre with a sub-plot romance or no romance at all - sorry, but I'm going to pass.
**Some things I love to read (your story doesn't have to have any of these elements, but if it does I really, really want to read it: complicated love stories, gritty or dark stories, anything involving music (something about a band, something about being in band/orchestra, people that play instruments or sing, etc.), anything involving mental illness, anything involving travel, unexpected twists that will blow my mind, anything that will give me FEELS, anything that will allow me to learn about another culture/way of life.

I Don't want to read:
**Paranormal, horror, zombie novels, novels about pandemics.
**I don't mind sex/violence/language as long as it's necessary to the story.
**Absolutely no on-screen rape, torture, or animal abuse please and thank you!
**Faeries/werewolves/vampires/etc. aren't my favorite and can be hard for me to get into (but not always…)

Timing:
**I have a full-time job, and while I try to get on YWS every day, that doesn't always happen because of life.
**Give me a week or two for isolated chapter reviews, please bother me if I haven't gotten to it in two weeks.
**Depending on how many chapters you currently have posted for a chapter it will take me some time to get through the whole thing. If I haven't written you a review in two weeks please bother me.
**For reviewing reviews, if I haven't PMed you within a week, please bother me.
**If I've "liked" your post requesting a review, I have acknowledged/accepted your request and you're on my list! :)

How to request:
Please tell me -
1. Name of the novel
2. Genre of the novel
3. 1-4 sentences about what the novel is about (no spoilers). Especially if you want me to review a chapter that isn't chapter 1, PLEASE give me a little context about what's going on because that will help me help you better!
4. What service are you after (and include any specific concerns/things you want me to cover)
5. If this is an isolated chapter request, please link the chapter(s). If this is a chapter by chapter request, please link the first chapter/preface. If this a reviewing reviews request I will PM you.

I understand that writing a novel is a deeply personal experience and sharing that work is scary, so I thank you for giving me the opportunity to read your work! <3 <3

Let me know if you have any questions!!
Last edited by Carlito on Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:41 am, edited 56 times in total.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:58 am
Rydia says...

Hi!

Link: work.php?id=28778
Title: Sirens' Symphony
Media: Lyrics
Genre: Romance

Other: It's more than four years old but I dabble with lyrics so rarely that I think I've only attempted two songs since. Which means I'm still at the same level and could use all the advice/ comments I can get. I'm hoping to write this musical gradually, if only to surprise my sister. I came across the plans for it recently, which reminded me of this. I'll shut up now.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:33 pm
ENCR says...

Hi, please review my short story

work.php?id=93898

Title: Don't Be Afraid
Genre: Drama

1162 Reviews

Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:03 am
Carlito says...

Done and done!

(Sorry ENCR but my review got posted twice somehow and I don't know how to delete one of them...)

Ask a Therapist!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1162 Reviews

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:33 pm
Carlito says...

Hi still reviewing! :)

Ask a Therapist!

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:25 am
TickSeed says...

Hello! If you don't mind, the fourth chapter could use a review since it's one of (in my opinion)my weaker pieces!

work.php?id=96438

1162 Reviews

Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:28 am
Carlito says...

Sure thing! Could you tell me the basic plot and who the characters are and what not up until now so it's easier for me to jump in?

Ask a Therapist!

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:39 am
TickSeed says...

I can't seem to find you, so I can PM you the info, is alright if I post it here or on your wall?

1162 Reviews

Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:34 pm
Carlito says...

Either is just fine :)

Ask a Therapist!

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:02 pm
prolixity says...

Hi, could you take a look at this please?
She reflected. "I prefer stories about squalor."
"About what?" I said, leaning forward.
"Squalor. I'm extremely interested in squalor."

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:59 pm
ZaBodMoger says...

Hey. Could you possibly give my new short story a review please? :)
It is pretty dark in the subject matter just so you know.
work.php?id=96455
Ever had something clawing at your insides? A creature you don't want to let out?

1162 Reviews

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:04 am
Carlito says...

TickSeed is all done! The others will come tomorrow! (Sorry for the wait)

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:11 pm
Carlito says...

Prolixity and ZaBodMoger are done!
Who's next? :)

Ask a Therapist!

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:05 pm
Rydia says...

I liked the other so much, I thought I might come back for seconds :D

Link: work.php?id=96490
Title: A Hero's Day Off
Media: Poetry
Genre: Narrative/ Satire

Other: Anything you'd like me to review in return, simply ask. I've set my heart on having a new star :p
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:51 am
TheAceofAll says...

Hi, could you please review the first chapters of my book Welcome to Orba Nova.
Here is the link work.php?id=96135
“ You can't control life, [in writing] at least you can control your version.”
―Chuck Palahniuk, Stranger Than Fiction

When life gives you lemons, make grape juice, then sit back and let the world wonder how you did it. – Unknown

"Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness."
— Bishop Desmond Tutu