z

Young Writers Society


12+

Mundane

by iwilltryforyou


There's these moments in between the highs and the lows where it feels ordinary. Meaningless moments in time where they freeze and everything seems like a waste of time. A waste of space. Similar to the small things in life no one notices, or cares for. Things like sitting in your car right before going to work, a cloudy sky, listening to the same music a million times, the condensation on a glass of water, a dirty window, dead grass in the winter, a conversation that has been drowned out, cluttered drawers, and everything in between. 

I try to tell myself its the little things; but not like this. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 39
Reviews: 12

Donate
Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:44 am
Tambo wrote a review...



This piece perfectly captures the essence of those in-between moments we all experience in life. The author beautifully describes those mundane, seemingly insignificant moments that often go unnoticed or unappreciated. The imagery used, such as the condensation on a glass of water or cluttered drawers, effectively conveys the feeling of stagnation and meaninglessness that can sometimes arise in our day-to-day lives.

The contrast between the highs and lows of life and these ordinary moments is striking and thought-provoking. It serves as a reminder that not every moment has to be a grand adventure or profound revelation. Sometimes, it's the little things that truly matter.

Overall, this piece is a poignant reflection on the beauty and importance of those seemingly insignificant moments that make up the fabric of our lives. It's a reminder to find value and meaning in the ordinary, and to appreciate the small things that often go unnoticed. Highly recommended for anyone looking to find beauty in the everyday.




User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 254
Reviews: 6

Donate
Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:53 am
SKZ4ever wrote a review...



Hello, how are you hon?

Woah, I feel you. And don't ever say that 'it's just the little things' because it's obviously not. I completely understand where you are coming from and if you need a chat I am here. You explained everything so well. Life would feel very boring sometimes but that's okay. Without sadness, happiness, dullness, dryness, and all that stuff, life wouldn't be the same. You wouldn't have experiences to learn from. You wouldn't be the same person as you are today. So believe that it can change and all these moments are going to be happier and better times to remember.
Keep up the good work.
Demi <3




User avatar
4103 Reviews


Points: 254288
Reviews: 4103

Donate
Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:35 am
View Likes
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Hi! I'm here to leave a quick review!!

Anyway let's get right to it,

There's these moments in between the highs and the lows where it feels ordinary. Meaningless moments in time where they freeze and everything seems like a waste of time. A waste of space. Similar to the small things in life no one notices, or cares for. Things like sitting in your car right before going to work, a cloudy sky, listening to the same music a million times, the condensation on a glass of water, a dirty window, dead grass in the winter, a conversation that has been drowned out, cluttered drawers, and everything in between.

I try to tell myself its the little things; but not like this.


Oooh will this is quite something here. Not too often you see a diary entry and this one is especially unique here. Often you tend to see something that's a bit more closely tied to some sort of story or at the very least based in a story to some extent but a little splash of just thoughts and pure reflections isn't something you see too often.

I think its a very intriguing way to construct a diary entry. It is somehow more of a mystery as to how the person happened to actually be feeling that day and yet at the same time it also tells you so much more than something that's just a recollection of all the normal events.

Moving on here to the actual piece, this is quite the kaleidoscope of feelings that have been put on display right here. It somehow flows together in this sort of stream of consciousness that manages to stay fairly consistent with itself but at the same time its also a little bit scattered about too. I think it properly conveys this sense of how intriguing an ordinary mundane moment is in a very intriguing way there. Especially that final line. It really shifts how you interpret the entire thing and I think that comes together to make a very powerful piece here despite being as small as it is.

Overall a very intriguing little take this on a diary entry with a topic that really does leave you thinking all on its own but the added together with the structure of this piece that only goes to yet another level. All in all, very nicely done.

Aaaaand that's it for this one.

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Kate




User avatar
211 Reviews


Points: 23158
Reviews: 211

Donate
Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:14 am
OrabellaAvenue wrote a review...



Hello there! I'm Orabella, here with a quick review. ^^

First off, welcome to YWS! If you need anything, please don't hesitate to reach out to me or another moderator. We'd be happy to help, even if it's something small. :D

This journal entry is super poetic. I love the imagery of the "meaningless moments in time." I can picture those simple moments exactly the way they are, and using them you perfectly portray the feeling I think you were going for. It's a very relatable feeling, too, those mundane little things in everyday life. But it's not just the feeling that's relatable; you portray it beautifully through your words, and it certainly is not the idea that brings the piece to light. It's the meaning and the craftsmanship, the feelings and the person behind them.

I try to tell myself its the little things; but not like this.

I absolutly love this last line here. It ties everything together, and it just is beautiful and bittersweet in it's own little way. Speaking of its, I think you need an apostrophe in yours. "It's" instead of "its". (Okay but I forget apostrophes all the time I literally forget almost every time I write a word that needs it) I also wonder what exactly you mean by its? What exactly is the little things? I love this, because it can be open to interpretation. Maybe it means life, and life is all about the little things. Or maybe it could represent an emotion - perhaps happiness? Anyway, that's my idea, but what were you originally intending that line to mean? I'd love to know!

This is such a sweet but sad little piece of writing here, and I absolutly love it! I'd love to see if you have more writing! You can tag me if you want to, if you publish it (Just put an @ symbol in front of a username to tag; it will send them a notification) Thank you so much for writing and sharing, and again, welcome to YWS! Please let me know if you need anything, or if you'd just like to chat. ^^ Keep writing!





No person can be a great leader unless he takes genuine joy in the successes of those under him.
— W. A. Nance