z

Young Writers Society

The Cliches of the Pirate Myth

Random avatar

Reviews: 27
Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:42 pm
ahhhsmusch says...

I have been thinking about writing a pirate novel, but I am afraid of falling into one of the many cliches of the "pirate" world without being conscious of it. So, my question is, what are the cliches of the pirate novel?

Several that I have noticed include:
-Constant use of "Arrr/Arghh"
-Parrots
-the hero is often a boy or man that through his interaction with the pirates, learns to reject them and their morals, and becomes their enemy
-the captain of the ship is usually the undisputed leader, and leads the ship without regard to his crew

What other cliches are there?

Reviews: 4
Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:41 am
DonicaSage says...

Um...the line "Ahoy, matey"?
D.S

Reality is concrete.
Fantansy is abstract...
Dreams are trapped between.

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:54 am
JabberHut says...

Ooooh, pirates. I loff pirates. I started a pirate novella a couple years ago. It was about a female pirate though, so I had to do a lot of research to help compensate for that.

So... a cliche to watch out for would be female pirates. *nods*

It depends on what time period, and I'd definitely recommend researching as much as you can to get a feel for the environment. Female pirates were typically not known. They usually dressed as men if they went at all, but it was believed to be a curse to have a woman on board.

That's another thing! Look up sailor/pirate legends and myths. Those curses and things are very lovely to have, but it's also dangerous for authors to go overboard. Make their beliefs realistic, but there are sailing tricks of the trade and superstitions that were most definitely believed true back then.

That's all I've got off the top of my head, so research, research, and research some more. Wikipedia is a nice start, and definitely google what you can. You'll find a ton of information, and you'll narrow the setting down to the very minute detail.
I make my own policies.

96 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 96
Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:37 am
View Likes
noninjaes says...

Possibly have a bunch of upper class really gentlemanly pirates with stiff British accents and a love of tea. xD Ahoy my good sir! Would you like another cup of tea with your scones before we murder you and loot your ship?
Noni Naps Through Nano
NaPoWriMo 2016
Stories Not Otherwise My Own

AnnieJaePayne
The Three Ninjateers
Being awesome since Jan 2012.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:00 am
Stori says...

If I remember correctly, pirates had quite a strict code of conduct. It was mainly penalties for wrongdoing. Anyway, perhaps you could try searching "pirate code" on the web and see what comes up.

413 Reviews

Reviews: 413
Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:14 am
Cailey says...

Oooh!! Have a plot that doesn't have to do with just searching for treasure. I mean, there's gotta be treasure involved, but that can't be the main plot. Having pirates trying to escape a curse is also probably a bit overused.
A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity. -Kafka

Look: A Link! https://caijobetweenthepages.wordpress.com/

I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
— Walt Disney