z

Young Writers Society

LSS: Dungeons and Detectives

674 Reviews

Reviews: 674
Mon May 20, 2024 8:41 pm
View Likes
Plume says...

It's time to find out what's really lurking in the dark...

OOC

WFP

Characters
Visellia Angelus - RavenAkuma
Raine Jameson - RangerofIthilien
Noah Valstad - Plume
Fernando Lopez - yoshi
Liliana Lopez - yoshi

674 Reviews

Reviews: 674
Thu May 30, 2024 12:11 am
View Likes
Plume says...

Noah Valstad

It was nearing noon when Noah's phone rang. A quick peek at the screen revealed it was their mother.

"Hellllllo." They fiddled with the brightness on the photo of Alfie they were editing.

"Noah! Great to hear your voice," Julie Valstad said. "I've got Kade here with me and he—"

"Mom won't let me dye my hair green." Noah grinned, recognizing the whiny tone of their younger brother. "Can you tell her that it'll look cool?"

"How much are you trying to do? Streaks, or...?"

"His whole head," their mom said. "No child of mine will walk around looking like the Green Giant."

"It's just my hair, not my skin," Kade countered. "Noah dyed their hair when they were my age!"

Noah laughed. "Wrong. I was fifteen, not fourteen, and red tips barely count."

"And they also looked tacky," Julie muttered.

They laughed, faking a gasp. "You said you liked it!" Through the crackly phone audio, they could hear their mom and brother chuckling as well.

"So," Julie asked after they had all composed themselves. "What have you been up to? Are you planning on visiting anytime soon?"

"Nothing much, really." Noah adjusted the saturation, bringing out more of the colors in Alfie's brown and white fur. "Classes are fine. Work is fine."

"Work? You didn't mention a job last time we talked."

"Yeah. I'm at the local paper now. Figured it'd be a good resume booster or whatever. They're having me take photos for them—mostly just local events. It's nice, though. Gets me out of the apartment." They shifted in their desk chair.

"What've you visited so far?" Julie asked.

"I'm currently editing pictures from the dog park opening." Laughing, they added, "Alfie really enjoyed that one." At his name, Alfie bounded into the room, collar tinkling as he put his paws in Noah's lap.

"Is that him I hear now?" Noah could picture their mom's grin, the gray in her hair and eyes sparkling.

"Yup." Noah gave Alfie a few gratuitous pats on the head. "I think he misses his grandma."

"I miss both of you," Julie said. "You can't be so busy you can't spare a week up in Vermont?"

"You'd be surprised." After a few more minute edits, Noah was finally satisfied with the image. They opened up their inbox and queued up an email draft to send them off to Helene, their boss and editor of the newspaper.

"At least tell me you'll be back for the holidays."

"I'll try." They attached the image and got ready to press send, but commotion on the other end of the line distracted them.

"Hold on, Noah—I'm going to have to cut this call short. Apparently another bird got stuck on our screened-in porch, somehow." In the background Noah could barely hear Kade's groaned excuses of I swear Mom, it wasn't me, they're just getting smarter and can open doors now, I promise!

They chuckled. "Okay. Let me know if the bird makes it out alright. Love you."

They could hear their mom's smile in her "love you too" before the telltale click of the end call button sounded. They turned their attention back to the email at hand.

No sooner had they pressed send than another email from Helene popped up, completely unrelated to the pictures they had just sent off. Clicking into it, they realized it was actually forwarded from someone else; Helene simply tacked on a little Thought you might be interested! to the end before her usual, overly self-important email signature.

Scanning the actual body, Noah discovered that it was likely something they would be interested in. Sent from a concerned citizen, it described their experiences with a house on their block as of late; apparently, ever since its elderly resident had died within the past month, neighbors had been seeing eerie occurrences. According to the email, they had reached out to law enforcement and they had checked it out, but found no evidence of anyone squatting there, so they left it alone.

Could make for an interesting seasonal piece, Noah thought. At the very least it wouldn't hurt to grab some photos. They weren't planning on doing anything else for the rest of the day; why not go over this evening? Alfie could use a walk, anyhow.

They grinned and started searching for a fresh SD card. This could prove to be very intriguing indeed.
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.

284 Reviews

Reviews: 284
Thu May 30, 2024 2:37 pm
View Likes
RavenAkuma says...

V Angelus

The long stretch of empty road was dark as the sun continuously faded from the sky, leaving only a pattern of amber, blush, and deep purple between the horizon and the looming dun abyss overhead. The open country was pretty, but it was getting way too repetitive for one impatient driver.

V was annoyed by the shuddering of the old Pontiac Trans-Am. Even though it was said to be a nice car in the ‘80s, a slick black muscle car with gold trim, it was now just a hand-me-down beater constantly at risk of falling apart. Alas, her line of duty wasn’t a paying one, so she didn’t have a much better option.

A paranormal investigator, a ghost hunter. Someone who could confront the creatures that authorities would never even glance at. In reality, there were no Ghostbusters or X-Files to handle these things. They went uncontained and unseen by nearly everyone but their victims, and the rare few who escaped would be labeled freaks, kooks, etcetera. Right alongside those who dared to believe them.

Even so, if it meant finding evidence and stopping a dangerous entity, any paranormal investigator worth their salt would take the labels and the risks, and keep going. That was how V saw it.

‘Click-clank!’

After hitting a small pothole, the bag of equipment in the back seat clinked together to create an obnoxious noise. They reminded her of her current goal.

It was just two days ago when she picked up the rumor. Most people in her position relied on multiple forms of media, and she would pick them up from time to time, but she had her own tool to use.

It started in the bathroom of her dingy hotel room. She would see herself in the mirror, and nothing more.

The ritual began when she turned out the lights.

She lit one candle; a special one, formed from animal fat and carved with runes.

Finally, she spoke the infamous phrase in a serious tone.

Bloody Mary.
Bloody Mary.
Bloody Mary.

Just a few moments later, watching things warp and shift in the mirror, her tool appeared. V’s reflection would vanish, and someone ran into view on the other side. A terrible old woman covered in blood, with sharp, bloody teeth, ragged white hair, and wild crimson eyes. She let out an inhuman screech and she rammed into the glass.

However, instead of fear, V looked annoyed. “Cut it out, Liz. We’re in a hotel.”

The ghost growled with irritation. As she leaned out of the mirror, her form changed.

She turned into a younger woman, perhaps in her twenties. Her skin was deathly pale, and her hair was white, but it wasn’t ragged anymore. It seemed natural and fell in neat layers. She wore clothes straight out of the ‘90s, including a red flannel coat. However, her eyes remained crimson, she had abnormally claw-like nails, and there was still blood splattered on her clothes, smeared across her skin, and stained in her teeth and lips like makeup.

Bloody Mary sneered, “You’re the one who reduced me to a parlor game, and now I can’t even play?”

V clenched her fists as she remembered why she forced Mary -or Liz, as she knew her- into a contract. The same contract that stopped her ability to harm any humans who found the “true” method of summoning the ghost. Though she was the one who established the deal, supposedly others had caught on to the ghost’s restrained nature and started using her in ways similar to how V would. At least, that’s what Liz told her, so its validity could be questioned.

“The case was a bust," V started. "No skinwalkers in sight.”

Liz smirked. “That’s what you get for trusting blog kids instead of me. Serves you right.”

“Quiet, you old hag,” V muttered. “This place took hours to reach, and it’s said to be a paranormal hotspot. I don’t want to leave with nothing, so tell me. What entities are lingering around here, if any?”

Liz paused to think. “None exactly close. If you’re willing to do some more driving, head about seven hours north-of-northwest. In a humble town…” She wriggled her fingers and spoke sarcastically, “From what my ghostly senses tell me, there’s a house over there. I don’t know about its living residents, if there are any, but there’s something paranormal inside. It’s no Hookman or La Llorona, but it’s giving off some decent energy. I’m sure it will be a fair challenge for the likes of you, oh lady huntress.”

V sighed, “It’s times like this I wish you’d go back to 1590 and stay there.”

“What can I say?” Liz smirked and teased, “I am a ‘90s girl. Go on, hothead, bite off more than you can chew again. I'll be waiting.”

V didn't dignify a response and flicked the light switch.As soon as the lights came on, the infamous Blood Mary disappeared, as if she had simply popped out of existence.

Unable to stand Liz’s attitude long enough to hear out the specific location, V scoured local news in the region and pinpointed a small-time interview with a group of startled teenagers, about how an experience in a seemingly vacant house left them terrified. There were more contentious interviews with residents on the block. Many of them claimed to see odd phenomena from the one building, while others denied it and blamed it on ‘pranks.’

In the car, V checked the map app on her phone. She was in the final stretch and could already see a town on the horizon, prompting her to turn off the freeway and start driving through. The Trans-Am shuddered as it downshifted.

Damn junkyard piece of sh-

A notification caught her attention, and she narrowly made the correct turn in time.

V followed the highlighted blue line on her phone, bypassing the business part of town, then a local school, and finally making it into a residential area. Block by block, she followed the line, until she could finally see her target.

Amid a row of typical-looking suburb houses, one stood idly across a neglected lawn. It was probably the largest on the block, two stories and decently wide. It looked old, both in terms of the weathered surfaces, and the touches of Queen Anne styling. There was not a trace of life in the area; no pets, no lights, and no cars in the driveway.

V’s eyes narrowed with suspicion. “A ‘decent amount of paranormal energy,’ huh?”

V drove ahead, finding a small park to leave her car in. She preferred to lay low in case anyone got suspicious and threw off the investigation. Once parked, she opened her back seat and checked her supplies. Just enough for tracking, trapping, and possible destruction.

One flashlight.
One UV flashlight.
One small Polaroid camera.
One old-fashioned .22 revolver.
One jar of bone dust, and one of pure salt.
One crucifix, Bible, and a vial of holy water.
And finally, ten ritual candles, sealed in a wooden box.

V equipped the flashlight and crucifix to her belt, while the revolver went on a shoulder holster under her coat, and the holy water hung from a chain at her neck. The rest was stuffed into her small black backpack. She was ready to move.

The light was fading more and more, but that was good. Investigating a potential haunted house at night may have been a cheesy trope, but this way, there was less chance of interference or being spotted. Especially when there were neighbors.

As V snuck over to the old house and started up its driveway, she heard a faint breeze whipping the overgrown grass. Groans came from the cracked garage door. The smell of dust and mothballs hung in the air, even though she wasn’t inside yet. Every dust-frosted window had no light or movement behind it.

Wait…

Sensing something off, V backtracked and looked up.

In one of the narrow windows toward the side of the house, she noticed two piercing white dots.

V held her breath and watched with an unbroken, critical gaze. The two tiny dots started to seem inconspicuous. Two very convenient glints from a set of glasses, perhaps?

Until she saw them blink.

V whipped out her flashlight and aimed it up.

Immediately, the eyes were gone, and all she could make out through the reflection was a room with dated wallpaper.

“Hmph…” V clicked off her flashlight. “Have it your way.”

V hopped the fence and headed toward the back of the house.

[Final word count = 1444]
~ "I am a writer. Therefore, I am not sane." ~

- Edgar Allan Poe

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Thu May 30, 2024 10:36 pm
View Likes
yoshi says...

Fernando Lopez

Fernando stands menacingly. He makes sure the man knows his prescence and feels it. He stares deep into the man's soul, drawing out the weakness from within. He imagines the ground shaking in fear and the counter cowering away from him. His mere existence calls for attention, for nobody will treat him like he's worthless ever again.

"Fernando. He just got the order wrong. Relax," Liliana says, then says to the cashier, "You scanned the Doritos twice, sir."

The poor man nods, glancing back at Fernando every few seconds, probably wondering if he'll try to rob the store. I would never rob an place as shabby as this, he thinks, If I were to rob somewhere, it'd have to be a bank.

As the two of them make their way out of the convenience store, Fernando can't help but think that America is a very depressing place.

"Liliana. Haven't you noticed that Ohio is such a depressing province to live in?"

"State. Not province."

"Right. But it's so depressing here. Take that convenience store worker for example. He looked like he was about to cry."

Liliana gives Fernando a stern look then says, "First of all, he was about to cry because of you. Second, you're saying this like we don't have depressed convenience store workers in Spain."

"I guess you're right."

Fernando admires his sister for her logical reasoning. She's such an intelligent young woman, and it pains him every time he thinks of the opportunities taken away from her. Mother. I will never forgive you. With her smarts, she would have surely become a very successful businesswoman, and with her beauty, she could have easily been a model. But it was all taken away, just because their mother couldn't handle the truth. A pathetic mother who would never exit the state of denial. Sometimes, Fernando wonders if their mother is even still alive, and he wonders if he'd feel sad if she wasn't. He knows it's wrong to think such thoughts, but for such a horrible person as her, perhaps it'd be okay.

The two siblings head toward the car, but on the way, can't help but overhear a conversation. A group of women are talking loud enough for the siblings to hear without trying.

". . . and that house on Brandenburg Street. Yeah, the one that looks so broken and dirty. I heard there is a ghost or something that's haunting it."

The moment they hear the word 'ghost', the two siblings look at each other.

"Don't say it," Liliana says, "Because I know exactly what you're about to say."

"Technically, Comte Arnau is a ghost."

"So you want to investigate this haunted house because you think it's going to be an old burning Spanish nobleman . . . in Ohio."

"Technically, the burning part is only speculation,"

"Well, technically, you're an idiot. Give me one good reason why we should head to this 'haunted house on Brandenburg Street'."

"Mom might be there."

With that, Liliana goes silent. It's very rare that she doesn't have a response to what Fernando says, but he knows it's just the gears in her brain turning. She's just such a smart girl like that. She's smart enough to know that if their mother is searching for Comte Arnau beacuse it supposedly killed their father, then wherever the ghost is, their mother will surely follow.

"If we find Comte Arnau, we will find our mother."

This is the mantra that has been subconsciously running through the two siblings heads every day since that the day their mother ran away. Even if they didn't want to admit it, a small part of them just wanted to find a parental figure in life, no matter how cowardly and broken.

Perhaps because they had to grow up so fast, they were still genuine children within.

"Well, if you're so persistent, I guess we have no choice. Brandenburg Street it is!" says Liliana, taking big, confident strides toward the car. However, she then realizes that Fernando has the keys and sheepishly turns back around to ask him to unlock it.

"I promise we'll find that ghost," Fernando says as he walks toward the car, "I have a feeling something is going to happen at the house. I just know it."

I'll chase you to the ends of the earth, mother. And you will apologize. For the agony you've given us, and the mother you've never been.

[735 words]
they told me to never give up on my dreams.

so i took another nap

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Fri May 31, 2024 4:15 am
View Likes
RangerofIthilien says...

Raine Jameson

Ohio.
It had to be by far the most boring place in existence.
There was absolutely nothing of interest as far as the eye could see. It seems as if this whole state is made entirely of corn fields! Raine thought to herself as she drove. Why do American's love their corn so much? No matter how much she wanted to know, some things simply could never be answered, and that just so happened to be one of them.

She was about to make a turn down a road that looked identical to the one she was on, corn fields, a hill, maybe a tree if she was lucky, when she slammed on the brakes of the small rental car. Another one of those unanswerable questions was way that cursed black dog kept following her around. The creature's glowing red eyes stared at her from down the road, just past the distance her headlights reached. Although, it didn't really matter if her headlights reached it or not; the inky, lank, fur on its huge arched body seemed to soak up any shred of light that came near it.

"Nope, nope, nope, not today, thank you."

Raine quickly whipped the car back around and onto the main road again, she would have to find a different way to get to her destination. Surely there was another road that lead to the same place, right? If not she would just have to tell her boss the road was closed, but there was no way she was going down that road now. Fortunately enough her navigation swiftly redirected her and she continued driving through one corn field after another. Once, she even got lucky and saw some cows while she was driving, albeit a little confused as to why they were out at night. It was of her best interests not to stop though; especially when she needed to restock her gear. Who knew what could be out there, lurking in the dark.

Over the last few days she had been working not one, but two jobs.
One was what she had actually worked towards, and was the reason she was driving through Ohio now. A company had hired her as a historian to scope out potential towns for urbanization, ones that would make for interesting cities and had plenty of history and stories to draw people in as well as information as to where they could or couldn't develop. Although with that she was severely underpaid and the best thing she got out of it was traveling and gas money.
On the other hand, was her newfound passion, ghost hunting. Sure, she had to eat ramen for a couple weeks to afford all of the equipment needed but it was fun, exhilarating even! Something she simply didn't feel with being a historian anymore since she always had to be bouncing from one place to another and didn't get to delve deep into anything. This at least was a way to enjoy herself while bouncing around.

Speaking of bouncing around, the mildly run down town was starting to some into sight, street lights welcoming against the eerie uniform darkness of the surrounding land. After doing some research on the town for historian purposes she did gain knowledge of an old house that she wanted to check out. Maybe she could make a bit of money while she was here, help clear out any paranormal activity for the inheritants.

It was late when she finally got to the house. Part of her just wanted to find a place to rest for the night but her curiousity simply couldn't wait any longer and so she followed her navigation until she reached the address. Well I'm certainly at the right place. She pulled up in front of the house and parked. After all she was only going to take a quick look around since she still had to get more supplies. Unless...

Quickly getting out of her car and pulling the keys out of the ignition, Raine began rummaging in the trunk, taking inventory of the things she had. It seemed like enough for one run, if only she could find her spare batteries.
"Where in the world are they?" She mumbled to herself as she searched, strapping things she would need to her belt. "I know I put them in here somewhere... Aha!" she gave a self satisfactory smile and pulled the pack of batteries out from between two of the back seat. Without another moment's hesitation she popped two batteries into the back of her EMF reader and clipped that to her belt as well.
She was just about to close the trunk when she remembered the knife she had bought not long ago. It was quite long, clearly made for hunting. There was even a serrated edge to it.
Ah yes, America. The place where you can get a hunting knife at your local Tesco. Wait, no, not Tesco, Walmart. She shrugged a bit as she strapped the sheath to her belt. At least I can actually own something to protect myself here, just the simple reassurance of that does wonders for a woman on her own.

Soon enough she was ready and clicked on her flashlight, headed towards the Victorian style home. Her EMF reader was already sitting at low grade EMFs when she reached the door and reached to try the handle. Although, before she could, she notice something odd; there was light from around the other side of the house.
Hastily, she turned off her flashlight and found a secluded spot hidden by a bush to watch. Is there already someone else here? Best not to blow her cover too quickly, she decided to stay silent and just watch for now. Just in case. Who knew? Maybe they'd leave soon.

[Words = 970]
”Not all that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.”

-J.R.R.Tolkien

the button war, the egg being featured member, and santa necro-liking halloween-esque works are the reasons i love yws
— Carina