z

Young Writers Society

TOP TEN WORST BOOKS

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:57 pm
View Likes
IceCreamMan says...

The Oddysey :evil: . Definitely the most difficult, boring, and pointless book I have ever read. I had to read it for English class in 8th grade, and I believe that I am the only one in the whole grade who actually read the thing. Everyone else just read the first few pages, gave up, and used spark notes.

I am glad to say that when I was a young'un I hated Goosebumps, and read stuff that was way above my reading level for the most part, including Watership Down (thats one of my alltime favorites), LOTR, and some other series I can't remember the name of.
Clementine: This is it, Joel. It’s going to be gone soon.
Joel: I know.
Clementine: What do we do?
Joel: Enjoy it.”
-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind-

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:08 am
View Likes
Morran says...

Enough sitting back for me, eh.

In no particular order.

1. Anything written by John Steinbeck. Anything.
2. Silas Marner by George Eliot

Umm... you know, that's about it. I guess I enjoy most of what I read. And I liked Great Expectations. A lot. ^^;

Random avatar

Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:01 pm
View Likes
J. Wilder says...

I don't like Great Expectations. I agree that The Oddysey (sp?) sucks, too.

Reviews: 2
Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:47 pm
View Likes
Ayren says...

I loved Ender's Game and I am a fan of all of Orson Scott Card's books but I just did not like Children of the Mind. Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide I liked though. Anyway leat favorite books (no particular order).....

1. My Brother Sam is Dead (Depressing)
2. The Summer of the Swans (Almost fell asleep reading it)
3. On My Honor (Again Depressing)
4. The Amber Spyglass (Just confused me)

I agree with the people who said they just don't read bad books and nubers 1,2, and 3 on my list I only read because I had to for school.
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Thomas Jefferson

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:56 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

The Amber Spyglass? *looks mortally offended*

Thou shall burneth!

Though I can see how it could be confusing....it is the worst book in the trilogy, but with the other two, they're one of my favourite books for an enjoyable read.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:29 pm
View Likes
-KayJuran- says...

Morran wrote:Enough sitting back for me, eh.

In no particular order.

1. Anything written by John Steinbeck. Anything.
2. Silas Marner by George Eliot

Umm... you know, that's about it. I guess I enjoy most of what I read. And I liked Great Expectations. A lot. ^^;

i LOVE silas marner! we read it at
school & evrybody hated it cept me!

oh & i agree w firestarter - amber
spyglass is an amazin book!!!

Reviews: 2
Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:33 am
Ayren says...

I liked the whole concept of The Amber Spyglass but I thought it kind of went off on meaningless little sub-plots a few times. The reason it really clinched it as a book I didn't like though was because of the solution to all of the problems was Lyra and Will falling in love.
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Thomas Jefferson

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:51 am
View Likes
bubblewrapped says...

Personally, I loved Amber Spyglass. I read it several times. But I couldnt read it again. Just kind of grew beyond it, I guess. My recommendations for the Top Ten Worst Books Hall of Fame (also in no particular order) are:

1. ANYTHING by Louisa May Alcott (OMG she is such a goody-goody priss...*coughs* not that thats a BAD thing...)
2. Beloved (I managed one page and that was it. It was ... ugh)
3. I hate to say this, but LORD OF THE RINGS (Tolkien may have been a brilliant man, but he did not know how to write. End of story).
4. Lemony Snicket's Unfortunate Events (I loved them at first, but after three or four books, I got bored. Now I find them hideous).
5. Goosebumps (I, too, used to enjoy them when I was younger, as a light reading break, but now they're just plain pathetic. I cant believe I read them).
6. Animorphs (see Goosebumps) and all books like them.

Thats about all I can think of...I usually stop reading bad books so I dont really remember them lol. I must say I'm not much of a fan of any of the classics, though. I read Jane Eyre and got two thirds of the way through then had to put it down because she became such an imbecile after she fell in love with Rochester. It just about made me ill. I hate flowery speeches, lol. Another person who drags on and on (like Dickens) is Tad Williams - his books are good but they all seemed so...stretched out. One bit of action spread over six chapters or something. Most books are a story unto themselves, I know, but this guy nearly ruined epic fantasy for me, same as Tolkien. GOD those guys waffle on. Anyways, those are my picks for bad books. I'll add more if I can think of any.
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

Random avatar

Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:39 pm
View Likes
J. Wilder says...

I hated The Amber Spyglass. The first two books were so much better.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:00 pm
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

bubblewrapped wrote:I read Jane Eyre and got two thirds of the way through then had to put it down because she became such an imbecile after she fell in love with Rochester. It just about made me ill. I hate flowery speeches, lol.

YES! another one who hated that book! *ahem* i had to read it for english.. *shudder* all my friends liked it. i still hate it. *attempts to not rant about book*

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:15 pm
View Likes
niteowl says...

I haven't read Jane Eyre yet, but it kinda reminded me (don't ask me how) of A Little Princess. WORST BOOK EVER!!!!!!!! It was just so sappy and pointless! My little sister got it for Christmas. I advised her not to read it. Not that she would have anyway. She hates reading.

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:33 am
View Likes
electricbluemonkey says...

J. Wilder wrote:I hated The Amber Spyglass. The first two books were so much better.

I hear you. the Amber Spyglass just literally sucked. The Subtle Knife was the best.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:38 am
View Likes
bubblewrapped says...

YES! another one who hated that book! *ahem* i had to read it for english.. *shudder* all my friends liked it. i still hate it. *attempts to not rant about book*

Thank you! I am vindicated! LOL. People I've talked to cant understand why I hate this book, but I do, very much. I mean, Jane goes from being this reasonably self-aware, spunky heroine to being a spineless wimp and then a complete idiot. It just totally ruined the book for me when she started spouting declarations of undying love. [shudders]
I've found a couple more that I have to add here:

1. Alice in Wonderland. This might be a classic but it is also hideous. Lewis Carroll, I am told, was not only on drugs but a pedophile as well. They even suspected him (without concrete proof, mind) of being Jack the Ripper. So I dunno why but his books creep me out.

2. Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe and etc. by whatshisname...? C. S. Lewis. Freaked me out as a kid, now I cant touch em.
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

Random avatar

Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:46 pm
View Likes
J. Wilder says...

I've never read Jane Eyre but I saw the play Jane Eyre: The Musical. (I didn't want to...I was dragged to it.) The actors and stuff did a good job and everything, but the play still sucked because of the script and the story. I definitely wouldn't want to read that book.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:51 am
View Likes
Crysi says...

*Is slightly offended because she acted JUST LIKE Jane Eyre in one past horrible relationship :oops: *

Ah well. I liked the book. I'm such a sap. :P

LOTR?! THAT'S BLASPHEMY!! IT'S JUST AS BAD AS MESH'S BLASPHEMOUS PEPSI BOTTLE!! (Don't ask)

If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.
— Woodrow Wilson