z

Young Writers Society

Burning up (Second edit)

529 Reviews

Reviews: 529
Mon May 09, 2011 10:32 pm
xDudettex says...

Spoiler! :
Okay. So I had so much trouble coming up with a plot for this. The final plot was inspired by a song called 'Burning up' by an awesome British band called 'Twenty Twenty.'
My genre was 'Magical realist' and the thing I had to include was 'Fire'. I have a feeling this is totally wrong and I've been worrying about it all day. Your help will be greatly appreciated. I really need it. I hope you enjoy the story!
I didn't know where to post it as it could be fantasy or romance, so I stuck it here :P
Thanks!

The moon was on fire again.

It hurt Amy just to look at it. Watch the way it flickered from blood red to crimson to amber and then back again. She wanted to screw her eyes up in frustration and ignore it, but she couldn’t. Ignoring it wasn’t an option.

She’d tried that last week. Hiding under the bed covers with her palms over her eyes, she’d prayed for it to go away. Wished upon every star that was visible for it to pale back to the bright white rock it had been before. Of course that hadn’t worked, and seven days on, the stars had turned on her too. Each one now shone a brilliant orange. They glistened like fairy lights that had been strung up in the sky by some giant. Amy wanted to punish that giant.

She slammed her phone down onto her bedside cabinet and breathed out in frustration. Why hadn’t Judd text her back? Sure, it was one in the morning, but he was her best friend and best friends were supposed to be there for each other.

She collapsed back onto her bed and glared at the poster her dad had tacked above her bed for her last summer. I’d give anything to go back to then, Amy thought. She just couldn’t understand what she had done to deserve this. She sighed and brought her legs up to her chest. Doubt was creeping through her veins but she tried with all her might to shut it out. She didn’t want any of it to be true. It was too much of a terrifying thought.

Daybreak couldn’t come soon enough, and with it it brought the sun. How Amy loved the sun. It was warm and comforting and not at all disloyal like the moon was being. It wasn’t changing its colour or its purpose for that matter. It was shining down on her life like it was supposed to, not disrupting her sleep and making her question everything she’d forced herself not to believe.

She’d always been a sceptic; never taking an interest in the stories her mother would tell her about love. But now that the moon was on fire… She shook her head and continued her way down the stairs to the kitchen. Her mother was standing at the head of the table, pouring cereal into bowls and humming softly to a tune Amy didn’t recognise.

“Morning, Sunshine.”

Amy stretched her arms above her head and yawned. “Hey mum.”

Her mother smiled and beckoned her towards the table. Amy complied, padding across the wooden floorboards in her slippers, before sinking into the same hard backed chair that she sat in everyday. Amy liked order and routine which was one of the reasons why the moon’s defiance annoyed her so much.
Why can’t everything just stay the same? she thought as she pulled her bowl towards her. She poured the milk over her cereals with another yawn. Her mum smiled again.

“Sleepless night?”

Amy nodded and strands of her dark hair fell into her eyes. She pushed them back thoughtlessly and sighed. “It happened again.”

Her mother’s eyes brightened and she took the chair opposite her. It was her mother’s persistence and enthusiasm that made Amy question her decision to tell her about the moon in the first place. She almost certainly regretted it now. “I told you it would. Once it starts, there’s no stopping it.”

Amy spooned her breakfast into her mouth and chewed slowly. “I thought you were joking.”

Her mum shook her head gently. “So did Melissa.”

Amy looked up from her spoon at the sound of her older sister’s name. Melissa was just as big a sceptic as Amy was. They’d always laughed at the silly folk stories and wives tales that their mother had told them while they were growing up. Amy reckoned that was where she’d learned to be a non-believer. She’d always admired her older sister’s tenacious attitude; she believed in what she wanted to. Or at least she had.

It had all altered when she’d reached the age that Amy was now. At sixteen years old, Melissa had changed. Amy had thought she’d heard her muttering something about the moon in her bedroom one night. Melissa had been staring up at the nights sky, a wondrous look on her face. Amy wondered if she was finally seeing what Melissa had seen that night. She bit her lip in apprehension and felt her mouthful of cereal slide awkwardly down her throat.

Her mother’s voice brought Amy back to the breakfast table. “Have the stars turned orange yet?”

“Why don’t you tell me?” Amy didn’t mean to sound rude, but the constant thoughts about the moon that were flying round her head, were starting to try her patience. “You can see it too, right?

Her mother shook her head. “My time was long ago. The moon only shows its true purpose, its flames, to those who are ready. When their time had come.”

Amy didn’t like the sound of that. “Oh. So it’s just the plain old moon to you?”

“I catch the odd wave of fire every now and again. But you only get to see it engulfed by flames when the truth needs to be brought to the surface.”

Amy scratched her head. “So it thinks I’m ready for…” She broke off, the word she’d been about to say stuck in her throat, much like her breakfast.

“Yes.” Her mother’s voice was full of pride. “And the next step is the stars.”

Amy nodded tentatively.

“So do they burn orange?”

“What if they do?”

Amy couldn’t ignore the glee that crossed her mother’s face. “Then you’re almost there.”

Amy’s insides knotted and she no longer felt hungry. She pushed at her bowl with a grimace and felt her brow with the back of her hand. Was that a temperature? “What happens next then?” She was trying to conceal what little curiosity she was feeling by peering over at the cereal box while she spoke. Ignorance was bliss.

“One of two things,” her mum replied, watching Amy with an amused expression.

What could she possibly find so funny when her daughter was questioning not only everything she knew, but her sanity too? Thinking the moon was on fire was probably a sign that she was starting to go mental. Amy shivered.

“You’ll either see a shooting star at midnight,” her mum explained. Amy rolled her eyes at the clichéd rumours she’d heard before surrounding shooting stars. “Or you’ll get the most mesmorising burning sensation in your gut, that you won’t be able to think about anything else apart from the feeling that your heart’s on fire.”

Amy had to stop her mouth from falling open. Her pulse was steadily building in velocity and she swore she could feel sweat forming at her hairline, but the sceptical side of her was fighting to be heard. It’s rubbish, she insisted to herself. I’ve just got a fever. I must be coming down with something.

“I got lucky with the shooting star,” her mum continued. “Melissa got the fever like your auntie Hilda. Melissa didn’t have it for days like Hilda though. Poor thing.”

Amy could feel a lump forming in her throat at the prospect of feeling like this for days. Feeling like what? I’m fine. She tried to nonchalantly graze her hand across her cheeks, to prove to herself that the fever was all in her head; she wanted out of all this nonsense. Her heart stammered when her fingers touched hot skin.

“Do you feel anything?”

Amy gazed up at her mum to see her raising her eyebrows meaningfully. “Nope. I’m fine.”

Her mum’s high-pitched laugh made Amy start. “You know I can tell when you’re lying. Your forehead always crinkles.”

Amy cursed her easy to read expressions. “I’m just coming down with a cold. That’s all. None of all this moon fire gibberish.” She pushed back from the table, her palms clammy and her gaze flickering around the kitchen. Her chair screeched against the floor and the sound seemed to echo in her head, making her wince.

“Denial won’t get you anywhere,” her mum said, her voice gentle. “It’s no use pretending it’s not happening.”

Amy puffed out her cheeks and gripped the sides of her chair hard. “I’m not pretending anything. I’ve only got a cold. I’m not in love!” The word ‘love’ tasted funny on Amy’s tongue.

Her mum shook her head. “It’s common knowledge that…”

“It’s common crap, that’s what it is!” Amy jumped up from her chair. “I’m ill, that’s all.”

“Love is an illness.”

“Love is a bunch of chemicals,” Amy insisted. A sense of panic was building inside of her and she screwed up her eyes. “I can’t be in love.” She opened her eyes to see her mum gazing at her, a sympathetic expression on her face.

Amy thought back to the magazine article she’d once read in health class. She hadn’t been one of the gushing girls, fawning over the thought of being in love. She’d been the girl at the back, her head in her hands, terrified of such a huge form of emotion. She wobbled and gripped the chair again. “Love’s a concept people come up with to make themselves happy,” she reasoned.

“Amy,” her mum tried. “Listen to me.”

“I don’t want to.”

“Love…”

The panic Amy was feeling suddenly came to a head, erupting into anger. “I have a cold!” Amy exclaimed, throwing her hands up into the air. “I’m not in love!”

“The moon doesn’t lie,” her mother explained calmly. “It happens to all of us.”

“Yeah, well not me.”

Amy had had enough. She left the room in a whirlwind of emotions. She was dizzy with thoughts. Her heart was racing, shooting pulses through her veins like an electric current, and she took a deep breath once she was safely in her room. It’s all rubbish, she thought as she grabbed her towel and stormed towards the bathroom. It must be. The moon doesn’t know anything. How absurd for people to even think it does.

She ranted to herself as she stomped back into her room. None of it made sense and she was sick of hearing the same stupid explanations. She needed the one person who she knew would side with her.

She typed Judd’s number into her phone in a frenzy. Her skin was prickling with heat, but she passed it off as the hot water from her shower having irritated her skin. The anger was fading now, blinding her with fear again.

“Hello?” Judd’s voice made Amy smile. It was all going to be okay. “Amy?”

She started when she realised she hadn’t answered. “Hey. Are you busy?” She could hear the sound of heavy machinery in the background and she realised he must be helping his dad at the farm; he’d been trying to fix the tractor for months and Amy knew it meant loads to him. Her resolve faltered. “’Cause it’s okay if you are.”

“No.” Judd’s reply was instant. “Did you want to meet up somewhere?”

Amy exhaled a breath she hadn’t known she’d been holding. “My house?”

“I’ll be there as soon as I can, Amy. Okay?”

“It’s no emergency.” Amy didn’t know if that was the truth or not. She sank onto her bed, her legs shaking. “I just wanna talk.”

“Sure thing, Ames.”

Amy’s insides squeezed at the sound of him using her nickname; it almost felt like a kaleidoscope of butterflies had descended into her stomach. She shook her head hard, water from her hair leaving trails down the skin of her arms. It seemed to soothe the burning sensation she was experiencing. I really do have a fever, she thought.

“Amy?”

She jumped at the sound of Judd’s voice. She’d completely forgotten that he was still on the line. “I’ll see you soon,” she said, trying to sound upbeat when in truth, she’d never been so scared in her life. Why couldn’t she think straight?

She hung up the phone and stared at her reflection in the antique mirror she’d received from her Gran for her sixteenth birthday. A hand flew to her mouth. Her hair was still damp from the shower and the towel was still secured around her thin frame. But it was her face that gave her the jitters. Her cheeks were rosy and her eyes looked glossy, almost like she was daydreaming. She pinched her leg but the sharp pain she felt proved that she was awake. She pulled a brush through her hair and tried to focus on the one thing that would get her through this. She may not have been one of the girls who had their whole lives planned out, wedding and kids included, but she knew where she was with Judd.

Something sparked in her brain. The image of a blazing moon flashed in front of her eyes and a sudden heat started working its way through her body. She could be the real Amy around him. The obsessive compulsive, worrying, stubborn girl that she’d always been. Right from the fist day they’d met. Her heart emitted an extra hard thud and her hand flew to her chest at the strange new feeling these thoughts were evoking.

“Judd’s here,” her mother called from the bottom of the stairs.

Amy grabbed her coat and excitement bled its way through her body. She cocked an eyebrow at the feeling before passing it off as her not having seen her best friend for a week.

She bolted down the stairs, sparing her mum a quick hug as she passed. Amy felt a hand on her arm.

“All you have to do is believe and it’ll all make sense.” Amy was about to bite back when her mum continued. “Just be honest with yourself.”

Amy frowned momentarily but the look on her mum’s face made her attempt to hide her annoyance.

She slammed the front door in an attempt to release some of the mingled frustration and uncertainty that was building in her gut, but the moment she set eyes on Judd, all of her negative feelings seemed to disperse. Instead, she felt relief. Judd will know what to say, she thought, her mind skimming through the achieves of her memory, landing on the one that backed up her reasoning.

He’d been the one who had comforted her when her dad had been ill; no-one else had made her see even an ounce of optimism, but he had. The warm feeling in her gut shot to her heart and she winced.

“Are you alright, Amy?”

Judd’s voice soothed the sudden pain, dulling it to a small ache. “Yeah, I just think I’m coming down with something.”

Judd nodded. “It’s flu season.”

Amy laughed. Judd always had an answer for everything. “Sure.”

Amy started off towards the garden gate but stopped when she reached the pavement. “Where are we heading?”

“We could always walk and see where our legs take us.”

Amy smiled. “Sure.”

She waited for Judd to meet her on the path and then they set off in silence. Amy could feel the pain in her chest subsiding and she was glad that spending time with Judd was taking her mind off of the whole moon thing.

“So what’s up?”

Amy shrugged. “It’s hard to explain.” She didn’t want to come right out with the entire moon being on fire story for fear of sounding mad. “I guess the whole growing up deal has suddenly got to me.”

Judd smiled gently. “I know what you mean. Sometimes I wish I could go back to being ten again.”

“I was thinking five,” Amy admitted.

They stopped to cross the road, smiling at a mother trying to control her two energetic children, before they set off again towards the fields. They’d spent hours playing in the stream that ran through it, one summer.

“I miss the days when the hardest decision to make was whether to use felt tips or crayons. Whether to play cops and robbers or hide and seek.” She could hear the hint of a smile in her voice. “You know?”

Judd nodded, watching her as she hopped over the gate that led to the fields. Amy’s heart hammered when she felt his eyes on her and she bent down to re-tie her shoe, trying to calm the frenzy her heart was in.

Amy stood back up and was relieved to see Judd looking off towards the trees at the far end of the field.

“Where would you go if you wanted to feel young again?” he asked.

Amy followed his gaze and beamed. “The clubhouse!”

Judd turned to face her and this time Amy didn’t duck out of his gaze. Her eyes found his for a brief moment and Amy felt her pulse rocket again. What’s happening to me?

“Fancy a race?”

Judd’s voice snapped her thoughts back to the field. She felt her beam widening. “But you always…” She didn’t finish her sentence. Instead, she shot past Judd, laughing and sticking her tongue out.

She could hear his shouts of annoyance. “Oi!” He laughed. “I wasn’t ready.”

“Oh well!” she called over her shoulder. Her feet pounded the grass and mud hard as she raced towards the trees. The clubhouse was only just behind them, obscured from view by the large branches and thick trunks. That’s why they’d chosen that spot. They could pretend to be in a world of their own. Just the two of them.

Amy felt her heart burn and she stumbled for a second, but she caught herself, the sounds of Judd running behind her spurring her on.

“I’m going to win!” he yelled. He was so close Amy could hear his heavy breaths mingling with her own and with one last push, she tried her best to reach the trees. Judd passed her at the last second. She rolled her eyes at the sound of him whooping and clapping at his own victory.

“I knew I’d beat you,” he said, leaning against a tree to catch his breath. His breathing was still laboured and she could see his chest rising and falling rapidly underneath his jumper. Her heart gave a lurch and Amy doubled over, screwing her eyes up. “You are so unfit,” he teased.

She opened her eyes and gingerly straightened up, glad that he’d taken it upon himself to come up with the reason why she was finding it hard to breath. She wasn’t sure he was right though.

“I’ll be fine in a minute,” she assured him. She rubbed her side, feeling a stitch start to form, but it didn’t ache as much as her chest. Am I having a heart attack? Panic followed her thought and she found herself doubled over again. This time she heard footsteps approaching her.

“Are you sure you’re alright?” Judd sounded worried.

Amy nodded, her eyes on his shoes. They were the pair she’d picked out for him when they’d gone into town a couple of months ago; he was always asking her for fashion advice and Amy reckoned he’d end up wearing clothes like her dad if she didn’t help him. Her insides felt like they were ablaze now too and Amy suddenly felt dizzy. Her vision blurred and she felt herself waver on the spot.

“Ames?” Her body jolted at the feel of his hands either side of her waist. “Hang on. The clubhouse is only there. We can sit down, okay?”

Amy replied with a small nod. Her forehead felt like it was on fire; she could feel sweat beading along her hairline and she reached up with shaking fingers to wipe it away.

“Can you stand up properly?”

Amy tried. Her insides squeezed at the effort, but she managed to stand up straight enough that she could see Judd’s face. The pain dulled when she saw the anguish on his face. Her was frowning and his eyes were staring right at her.
She felt her face flush.

“Lean into me,” Judd instructed, pulling Amy towards him until she was pressed right up against him. She prayed that he wouldn’t be able to feel her heart pounding at the contact. “Ready?”

She stumbled slightly as they started towards the clubhouse but the more steps they took, the more strength she could feel coming back into her legs.

They reached the clubhouse in minutes and fell onto the planks of wood they’d used as a bench. Amy’s vision was back to normal now and she no longer felt dizzy. Her gaze flickered over the makeshift clubhouse they’d built together as kids. The planks of wood was rotting now, coming away from the nails they’d hammered into the trees at odd angles. She felt herself smile slightly at the site where they used to sit and talk and make mud pies and pretend to be in a whole other world to the bullies and parents.

“Okay?” Judd asked. He was still watching her, concern in his eyes.

Amy nodded. “I think so.” Her body ached a touch when Judd removed his hands from her waist but when he held a hand to her back instead, the ache vanished. “I really must be coming down with something.”

“I’ll say,” Judd replied. “You scared me when you went all weird back there.” He was smiling now and Amy was glad of it. His smile seemed to make things better. It was like the sun coming out after a storm. Or ice cream on a hot day. Hang on, she thought. Did I just think that?

“It scared me too,” Amy admitted, though it wasn’t the burning that had scared her, but the reason for the feeling that her insides were on fire. Was her mum actually right? Did she have a fever because the moon was on fire? She bit her lip. But then that means I’m in… love? With…

“Earth to Amy?” Judd laughed and she felt him patting her back gently. “Don’t go all funny on me again.”

Amy shook her head but she couldn’t be sure. Too many thoughts were trying to be heard and she suddenly found herself crippled by the feeling that her heart was engulfed in flames again. It was beating hard against her ribs with such enthusiasm that she could hear the blood rushing in her ears. Every part of her suddenly ached much worse than before and she felt herself grimace.

“Are you sure you’re alright, Amy? You’re looking at me strangely.” Judd sounded worried and Amy rushed to reassure him. Or she would have done if he hadn’t looked her straight in the eyes.

For a moment Amy forgot how to breathe. “Uh, yeah,” she stammered. “It’s just.” She failed to complete her sentence. Images and thoughts were rushing through her head and they took all of her attention away from speech. The moon. The moon on fire. The stars glowing orange. The stories she’d been told as a child. The pain in her chest. How it was a good pain. How she liked the fact that it made her feel almost… alive? The way Judd was smiling at her like he knew all of her secrets and he wouldn’t dare share them with anyone. How she trusted him completely.
Like the time she’d spilt ink on the carpet and he’d said it had been him. The time she’d forgotten to bring any lunch to school and he’d shared his with her. When he’d picked hanging out with her over his guy friends, even though they called him a names for doing it.

The feeling in her chest intensified, the flames licking at her heart, and she had the overwhelming desire that she needed to tell Judd everything. About the fight with her mum and the moon and the stars and the fact that she thought she might actually be in love.

That last thought scared her so much that she snapped out of the daze she’d slipped into. Judd was watching her closely and she fought to keep from blushing.

“What?” she asked, voice shaking, as she leaned forwards to punch him in the arm playfully like always. Her skin burned at the contact and she had to catch herself from falling. She felt suddenly weak as she finally allowed herself to open up to the possibility that her mum was right. Vulnerability was something she detested but for once in her life, she welcomed it. She took a deep breath.

“What would you do if you suddenly realised that something you thought was nonsense, turned out to be the whole hearted truth?” Amy could hear the panic in her voice and it matched the wavering in her chest. Her heart boomed and she was surprised that Judd couldn’t hear it too.

Judd turned to her, a strange expression on his face. Amy couldn’t decide whether he looked confused or relieved. “I’d say that you saw the moon catch fire and now you’re wondering what you’re supposed to do about it.”

Amy nodded dumbly, too shocked that Judd had read her mind to answer with words. Hearing someone else say it out loud was comforting. It made her feel as though she wasn’t alone in all of this confusion. She gazed up at him and his familiar features settled her slightly; the scar above his eyebrow from where he’d fallen out of the clubhouse once. The way his lips pursed when he was thinking and the tips of his ears tinged pink when he was embarrassed.

“So that’s what this is about? Why didn’t you tell me?”

Amy shrugged and looked away, her face hot. “I was embarrassed.” She felt his hand rub her back and her skin tingled in delight.

“You needn’t be. It happens to everyone.”

Amy shook her head and forced herself to face Judd again. He was smiling reassuringly at her and it made what Amy wanted to say, harder to speak out loud. “But I’m not like everyone. I.” She paused. “I don’t know if I’m ready.”

Judd’s smile was so warm that it melted away Amy’s fear. “I didn’t think I was ready either.”

Amy’s heart jumped. “You’ve already seen it?” She frowned. “When?”

“A couple of weeks ago,” he replied.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Amy felt a little hurt, especially as he’d asked her why she’d kept it from him. “I thought we could tell each other anything?”

Judd nodded enthusiastically. “We can. It’s just, I know how you feel about love and stuff. I didn’t want you to start panicking when I told you that I saw the moon catch fire, especially as I know you think it‘s a load of rubbish.”

Amy smiled shyly. “Oh.”

“You don’t need to be afraid or confused though,” Judd said, his eyes imploring Amy to believe him. “You should feel elated. On top of the world.”

“But I don’t know what I’m supposed to do about it.” She glanced at Judd bashfully. If he knew about her feelings towards love, then what’s to say that he already knew about her new found feelings for him. Because that’s what I’m feeling right? Love. For, Judd. Her heart beat hard and she knew it was confirming her thoughts. A ripple of anticipation shot through her.

“That’s okay,“ Judd said. “I know what to do about it.” The confidence in his voice felt like a hug to Amy and, as he shuffled towards her, she realised more than ever that she’d been wrong to question her mother’s stories.

She took his outstretched hand in hers and revelled in the warmth that spread through her body at his touch. The fire burned inside her but it felt like a tempered glow now. It felt like it belonged and Amy couldn’t understand how she’d gotten along without it before. It felt right.

The moon was on fire again that night. It burned brighter than ever but Amy was too entranced by love to notice.
Last edited by xDudettex on Sun May 29, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
'Stop wishing for the sunshine. Start living in the rain.' - Kids In Glass Houses.

'Would you destroy something perfect in order to make it beautiful?' - MCR artwork.

378 Reviews

Reviews: 378
Tue May 10, 2011 2:47 pm
View Likes
Soulkana says...

Must point out I thoroughly enjoyed this. I think your descriptions are nicely well done. I can't really point anything wrong about this. I hope you do well on it. You really captured my attention on this ^^. I don't really see anything wrong grammar or spelling wise with this. So I can't really help you out on that. The ending was rather short, in my opinion, but it seems to work fine though. I do say I feel like you could add more but then again I don't know what you could add to make it better since its pretty great as it is. Hope this helps you in some way if not then I did my best haha. Good luck and Keep up the good work. Happy Writing and Best of wishes.
Soulkana<3
May the gentle moon take you into peaceful dreams. May the mighty sun brighten your new days.

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Tue May 10, 2011 8:08 pm
View Likes
lilymoore says...

Hey there, my team mate! If a review is what you want, then a review is what you get! *plus you just turned me on to this awesome song so I figure I owe you now!*

I did have just a few nitpicks. No worries. :P

Amy wanted to hit that giant.

“Hit” seems like a very weak word choice. Something a little more powerful like “punish” would really have a different effect. “Hit” feels like a six year old word but “punish” feels more like something I would hear a sixteen year old say.

Amy liked order and routine which was one of the reasons why the moon being defiant was annoying her so much.

The italisiced part really reads clumsily and might read a little smoother if the same idea was written “moon’s defiance annoyed.” Just a recommendation. :D

“Have the stars turned orange yet?”
Her mother’s voice brought Amy back to the breakfast table. “What if they have?”
Amy couldn’t ignore the glee that crossed her mother’s face. “Then you’re almost there.”

The dialogue gets a bit confusing here and I had one of those head scratching moments where I had to re-read it about four times to completely understand what was going on. I would consider moving that italicized part up to the first line of dialogue.

“Denial won’t get your anywhere,”

Just a typo but I figured I would point it out.

Overall, I enjoyed this a lot, Dudette! You kept me hanging around to find out what was going on in the story (because obviously it’s not very often that the moon catches on fire or anything). There are two overall, bigger pictures that I wanted to touch on though.

Amy and Judd

You did a great job with their relationship/friendship. You didn’t rely on looks, like, at all which is awesome and it wasn’t overly sentimental or gushy like Twilight *shudders* but something in the descriptions feels too, tepid. Fire and heat are such powerful themes throughout this but the description just doesn’t quite have it for me, you know. Kick it up a bit, Dudette! Make my heart beat with Amy’s heart. Set my skin ablaze in time with hers.

The Mystery

I did just about give up on reading this because you really dragged the mystery of the burning moon out for as long as you did. I almost wondered if you would ever get to the point and started to get close to unreading the story so be careful not to drag your readers along for too long.

Otherwise, I did really enjoy reading this! Good job and if you have any questions, feel free to ask me!

~lileh
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

191 Reviews

Reviews: 191
Tue May 10, 2011 8:36 pm
View Likes
carbonCore says...

I don't know what this is actually called in high-brow literary analysis, but I call it an "explained metaphor" - that's what you've got going here. There's a metaphor - the moon, and there's an explanation of that metaphor - love, both side by side. Of particular interest was the main character's mother saying what could happen, and what was happening to the main character during the story. It took me about a minute after I read the story to understand the parallel you've got going on.

The moon starts to burn when the person in question is in love. As the person becomes more smitten, the moon & the stars turn brighter. Brighter love, brighter fire, all's obvious there. The two sides of the metaphor converge nicely at the heartache, because at some point, love that has not been admitted becomes intolerable and translates to pain. After releasing that burden, suddenly the pain can no longer be felt.

Now that we've got the technicalities set up, let's try and see how this burning moon world you've constructed would translate to real life. Can everybody see the fiery moon? The mother, the friend, and the MC all can, so I am forced to assume that the answer is yes. Why was Amy in denial, if everyone else accepts it? Wouldn't references to the moon be found in all sorts of creative works (in your world)? Or, am I completely wrong and only certain bloodlines get it? This would imply that Judd is Amy's relative, making the whole affair a tad creepy.

There are many different kinds of love, and everyone who experiences it considers their love "pure". So: do stalkers see the fiery moon as well? People who love someone who is not even aware of their existence. Are they doomed to constant heartache? Hmm. People with odd love quirks? A person who fell in love with a porcupine, for instance. Or a plant. Or a car. I'm not making these up, by the way - those are real paraphilias, and I'm interested to find out how your world would handle them.

There's the possibility that by this point in my review, you are drawing your breath heavily and thinking, "cC doesn't get it, this is supposed to be a cutesy romance story with a mythical element. There's no reason to cut it apart like this and put its legs where its ears are supposed to be." That's all fine and well, but stories like that tend to be larger than life. They tend to sound more like legends, they tend to have less minute details. You detail your story a lot, so I assumed it takes place in the "real world" - that is, a world that differs from ours only with the whole moon fever thing. If you'd like an example, look at this post, specifically the story called "Apex". It uses only so many details as to conjure up images, and nothing else. It does not, for instance, say what the hunter had for breakfast, nor does it talk about how sad the frog was when that pretty girl frog rejected it. Those are extraneous details that only have a place in a "realistic" world, and not in a mythical one. That's why "Apex" can get away with thinking animals, without going into what impact thinking animals might have on, say, the vegetarian movement.

Technical: the sentence with which you started your story was absolutely, flooringly brilliant. Never on YWS have I seen a story with such a strong hook. A thousand questions spring up, and I want them to be answered by the end of the story, so I get excited and swallow the whole story in all of five minutes. I didn't even care that you said this story would be romance, even though I clicked the link with a certain degree of apprehension. Huge props to you for that. In fact, I disagree with Lily's point of dragging the mystery out wholeheartedly, as the mystery of the moon is what kept me reading.

Having said that, I felt that the opening as a whole dragged on a little bit. Yes, the moon and stars are on fire, we get it. The monologue about how they made Amy feel was not needed and served only to cool my enthusiasm created by the brick-smashing first sentence. Instead of describing how unnerved she is, have her knock over a glass of water while getting the jitters. Mention the moon while you do it. The result: you don't drag on, the reader is more engaged in your prose, and you get the same information across. Success!

The story feels somewhat rushed. Judd is introduced at the very end, and it turns out that the whole reason the moon was on fire was because of him. That's like writing a hundred pages of political intrigue and chilling suspense, with clues all around, only to reveal the perpetrator as some dude you've never seen instead of, say, the main character's most trusted adviser. It feels rushed, it feels weak, it feels like I was cheated out of a satisfactory ending. To be honest, I was half-expecting Amy to be in love with her mother, seeing as she and her mom were the only characters you ever really bother to, well, characterize. Judd just shows up and apparently Amy is in love with him. I find it very difficult to care about this, because I don't know him, I don't know the history between him and Amy. I don't know about how he and Amy would walk on the old wooden bridge at sunsets, I don't know about how Amy bit her lip in those moments while stealing glances at him when he isn't looking, I don't know how she thought the golden glow of the setting sun seemed so oddly prophetic. I have no idea this Judd dude or what exactly is his relationship with Amy is, so I am left stone-faced.

This is a story that has lots of potential, but one that should either have either more or less effort put into it. More if you want to be realistic, less if you want to be mythical (I would recommend more, since your genre was magical realism - right now, it's magical, but not very realistic). As it is, the story uncomfortably tiptoes the dividing line, and I fear that it might fall flat on its face if you don't choose a side for it to walk on. Nevertheless, it was an enjoying read, and I never became bored. It is the writer's greatest sin to waste their reader's time, and I thank you for not doing that.

Your amber moon,
cC
_

191 Reviews

Reviews: 191
Wed May 11, 2011 6:58 pm
View Likes
carbonCore says...

I see you've expanded the story a little bit. It is now a fact that everyone experiences the moon fever. I'm glad you clear this up, but - and I honestly did not expect this myself - this actually intensifies one of the problems I had with the story beforehand. Read on.

Reading Amy's denial causes almost physical pain. Look: when you are in love, the moon is on fire. That is the most romantic thing I have ever heard. Love is already indescribable, but then the moon adds a whole new level to it. So I ask you: how can Amy deny what is supposed to be a common part of life? Surely the moon fever will be mentioned in art and poetry and television, not just in "clichéd rumours". To deny it would be like to deny gravity.

Having said that, there *is* a way to write Amy in such a way to make her denial believable. I'll use a personal example: alcohol. When I was little, I'd watch people under the influence of alcohol and think to myself, how can these people lose control of themselves in such a way? When I'm older, I told myself, I'll be able to chug vodka and still think with crystal clarity. Of course, fast-forward ten years, and I know just how fragile consciousness is, and how effective alcohol can be at muddling it. So to expand on my previous metaphor, to deny the burning moon (i.e. love) would be like denying the effects of alcohol; it's perfectly acceptable if you have never experienced it before. But Amy's inexperience with love needs to be woven into the story. Even then, it'd be silly of her to just say "it doesn't exist" when everybody else says "it does exist". Make her a cynic. Make her say, "Love exists, but it is just a set of chemicals. One of those chemicals is making me see the moon in orange fire. It's nothing magic, it's just stupid." In this way she'd downplay the importance of the moon fire, rather than outright deny its existence. Denying its existence makes her sound either crazy or extremely childish.

It's nice to see that you've included some back-story for Judd, but again, Amy's denial makes me frustrated. Why does she get the big revelation that she's in love just at the end of the story? Why does she not admit to herself that she's crushing over Judd? And, at the heart of it all: why in the nine hells is she denying love / the moon fever in the first place? "She was always a skeptic" isn't really cutting it for me. She says "I'm not in love" rather than "Love is an animalistic instinct to procreate so what I am feeling is not a big deal and I will ignore it because I am a human being and not an animal" - something which only someone who hasn't felt love would say. That she outright says "I'm not in love" implies that she HAS been in love before, and she's "sure" that she's not feeling it now.

There were other little problems I found: the way Mom info-dumps her experiences with the moon, the way she doesn't really care about her daughter's moon fever (I mean, heartbroken teenagers do kill themselves every now and then. Still, even if Amy wouldn't do that, no reasonable mother would ever want to see her daughter sink into depression), the "flawless man-hunk" nature of Judd, and a few others. However, the biggest question that your story needs to answer in order to support its weight is this: why is Amy in denial to start with?

Your shooting star,
cC
_

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Thu May 12, 2011 4:08 pm
View Likes
Sins says...

Yooooo!

Okay, well, cC has given you such an awesome review... well, reviews really. :P It'll certainly be interesting to see if I have anything to add, hehe. This for 'Zila's contest, right? Considering this is for a contest, I'll really try to help you out. If I end up sounding a bit harsh or anything because of that, please don't think I've turned demonic or anything. xD

I really liked the opening line of this actually. It was quirky and it made me interested in what the line itself actually meant exactly. Basically, even if this wasn't a piece to review on a writing site but a short story in a library or something, I would have definitely read on. Good job! What I really liked about this piece was the whole idea of the moon being on fire to symbolise love. It's really creative and unique, methinks. I've never really read anything of yours that has any kind of fantasy element, and I really do think you've done an awesome job with it. You should give it a shot more often!

I really don't know if I'm going to have anything to add after the reviews you've had already, especially cC's. I haven't exactly read your other reviews, only skimmed through them, so I greatly apologise if I end up repeating everything that's already been said. Okay, so, let's see...

My main critique is probably the same as cC's. I'm not quite understanding why Amy's in so much denial of love, and why she seems to be so against the whole moon on fire thing. I mean, it ain't going to kill her, is it? Judging by how happy she was at the end, I assume that love is a great thing for her to experience. All I can really come up with is that she's not really afraid of the moon and such, but the fact that she's in love with her best friend. Is she more in denial over that fact rather than the whole the moon burning is just a made up tale thing? Maybe she's worried Judd doesn't feel the same way... I'm not sure.

If you're not really sure about why you want Amy to be in denial, maybe you could do something like she thought she was in love before, but she never saw the moon burning or anything. If you expanded on that, I think her denial would be more... acceptable, I guess. You could bring in a relationship she had some years ago and that could be another story in itself. Maybe it was with some guy she thought she loved, but in reality, he was a horrible guy and Judd was the one who was there to support her through everything e.t.c. You don't have to do that or anything, but I think you should maybe have a think about a really strong reason to as of why she's in so much denial. Doing something like Judd being the one who supported her through it all would actually help with the next critique I'm about to give you.

Basically, I want to see more of Judd. We only literally see him at the very end, and that's pretty short anyway, so when that scene does happen and Amy realises her true feelings, I don't feel much from it... you know? It's just kind of like she rings him up, he comes over and they're all in love and such. Kind of sudden, I guess. What I'd suggest for you to do is something like instead of Amy seeing Judd, then getting the whole burning sensation, you include a scene where Judd and Amy spend some time together. As their time together that day goes on, the burning sensation inside Amy rises until it gets to the point where the whole full-on pain in the heart happens. That way, we'll get to know Judd a bit better, plus you could build some good tension with the whole building of the burning sensation.

Obviously, it's your story, so it's up to you what you do. I do think though that if you do something similar to what I said above, it would help us readers feel more of a connection towards Amy and Judd's, well, connection. It would make it more believable, methinks. Mix that with the clear reason of why Amy is in so much denial and I think this story could be awesomely epic.

The only other issue I have with this is the ending. You said yourself that you don't like it, and I do have to agree a little bit. It's certainly not the worst ending I've ever seen or anything though. This is more or less the same critique as the one above though really. The reason the ending bothers me is because I think it all happens to sudden with Judd. I think that by elongating the end scene with Judd, the problem with the ending will be easily solved.

Overall, I really do adore the whole idea of this story. It's original, the grammar and such is great, I love your opening line, it's entertaining and I think that as a whole, this is really awesome. With some tweaks here and there, I think you could have a really great chance of doing well in Azila's contest. You've definitely scared me about entering myself. >.<

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins

Spoiler! :
Oh, and also, do you want me to send this to the Fantasy Short Stories forum? This seems more fantasy than realistic really to me, but it's completely up to you, of course! I'm just thinking you may get some more reviews that way.
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Tue May 17, 2011 3:32 pm
View Likes
Sins says...

Yellooo!

I think this is going to be more of a quick comment rather than a review because like I warned you, I'm rather suckish at reviewing edited things. :P I'll probably just be complimenting you... loads...

I'm so impressed with this edit! Seriously, it's really awesome. I think the ending scene is so much better now, and it does actually feel like I know Judd. You've portrayed Amy and Judd's relationship really well, I think, and the whole idea of this is more believable now that I do feel like I know Amy and Judd better. Speaking of the last scene, I very much liked it as a scene in general actually. It was really cute. I'm definitely glad you took us reviewers advice and decided to make the ending longer because it's certainly worked well for you.

I also think the whole thing's more believable now too. I feel like it makes more sense why Amy was so scared about falling in love. You added in some details of that here and there, so it all fits together more perfectly now. You had some dialogue near the end where she tells Judd she was embarrassed, for example, and it became clearer that Amy thinks it's a big deal and that she didn't feel ready for it all. So yeah, a great job on that too. :)

Err, I think that's it... xD Don't say I didn't warn you this would be bad! I really do think you have a great chance with this contest. You've edited the piece really well, it's original and there I think there are some very sweet scenes in this now you've extended that ending. Awesome job! Good luck with the contest!

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Mon May 23, 2011 8:44 pm
View Likes
silentpages says...

My entry isn't makin' you doubt anything, lol. :) And since you gave me such a lovely review, I'm going to review your entry in return. ^^

A couple little errors, so maybe run through and proofread another time or two. Read it out loud and see if you notice anything, or give it to a friend who's good at grammar... Nothing huge, but I noticed more than a couple things.

"The moon only shows its true purpose to the ones that are blind to its flames" - This line confused me a bit. Its true purpose - being on fire? - shown to the people who are blind to its flames... How can the blind-to-its-flames people see the moon's true purpose? I guess I'm just not quite sure what you're trying to say.

"Or you’ll get the most memorising burning sensation in your gut" - mesmerizing?

Oh, so in this world everybody knows about the whole 'moon-on-fire-means-you're-in-love' thing? For a while I thought it was just her family, like some kind of tradition or something. Maybe to make that more clear you could put in something about, like, 'Everybody knew what a burning moon was supposed to mean, from elementary school onwards.' Or something. XD Basically, something to make it more clear that it's not just her family who has this weird way of showing when they're in love.

I liked the little examples of their history together. The little things, and details that really made them feel real to me. I think you did a good job on this, and I hope you do well in the contest. :) The main thing I would recommend is that you make it a little more clear that everybody sees the moon burn when they fall in love. Once you do that, then I'll be able to say with confidence that you did a really good job of making the burning moon feel really real, and acknowledged by everybody in the story as reality (which, based on your topics, I think is probably one of the points of this? ;) ).

Again, nice job. ^^ And thanks again for reviewing my entry!
"Pay Attention. Pay Close Attention to everything, everything you see. Notice what no one else notices, and you'll know what no one else knows. What you get is what you get. What you do with what you get is more the point. -- Loris Harrow, City of Ember (Movie)

721 Reviews

Reviews: 721
Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:56 pm
View Likes
Azila says...

Howdy thar, par'ner. (<--attempt at Americanism)

Here I am finally to review this for you. You've gotten some excellent reviews already, but I only skimmed them so please excuse me if I repeat anything. I'll try and let you know the kinds of things Ranger and I talked about when judging so that you can understand our choices and (hopefully) learn from them a bit.

First off, congratulations on the genre! I know it was a bit of a stretch for you, and it took some research and whatnot, but you pulled it off well. I really love the mythological feel of this--that is, to me, what really makes it come alive. The whole concept of the old wives' tale coming true was intriguing and well-done. Its an odd idea for an old wives' tale, but it works because of the matter-of-fact way that Amy's mother talks about it. That makes it really feel realistic. As has already been pointed out, your opening is lovely. Very gripping, very intriguing. I was pulled in instantly, and you kept my interest by pulling me on with the sense of mystery and the mythological feel.

However, that's about the only thing that drew me on. The rest of the story just feels a little bit too predictable and transparent, to me. It seemed stretched-out and repetitive. In the beginning, the conversation with the mother seemed to go on after it had already ended, and it was a little too info-dumpy for my liking. I would have preferred to have that conversation be shorter and a little more cryptic. Then, later in the piece I thought there was a little too much "ooh, my skin hurts when he touches me". It was obvious the whole time (to me, anyhow) that she actually was in love, and I found it a little frustrating that she didn't catch on to the beauty of it earlier, because I did.

I really think you should consider her reaction a little more. Why is she in denial? The only reason I ask is that her fighting with the truth is basically the whole conflict of the story. But I don't understand where it's coming from. At first, I thought she didn't want to be in love because she didn't know who she was in love with... but then it became fairly obvious that she was in love with Judd--and I don't understand why she has a problem with that. There's the whole "I don't want to grow up" thing, sure, but I don't know if that's enough of a reason for the amount of drama that you have here. I'd say you should either cut down a little bit on the emotional effect, or strengthen her reasons.

Also, I think you might want to make it clearer that everyone sees the moon on fire. For most of the story, I was under the impression that it only happened to girls in love (because we'd heard about it happening to the mother, the sister, and the aunt) so when Judd admitted to having seen the moon on fire, I was caught off-guard.

I love the way you made the love that makes the moon catch fire be a "non-romantic love" if you will--a love that's more about a rite of passage than about a connection between two people. It's a nice way of alienating the whole thing and making it less predictable. But at the same time I found the whole "it happens to everyone" idea a little odd. I mean, not everyone finds "true" love, right? And certainly not everyone finds it when they're teenagers (which is how you portray it). Maybe these things don't matter, because this is supposed to be more mythological/magical than real, but that still bothered me a little.

All in all, I think this is a great idea. You included your genre/element quite nicely, and you produced a thought-provoking concept and premise. The actual execution of the idea could have been done more smoothly, though. I feel like there are huge swathes of prose just dedicated to you experimenting with the concept, and those could be stripped away. Right now it's coming off as a lot more complicated than it actually is. This piece would work best with a more mythological feel, and I think that would be best achieved if you distilled it down to its elements a bit more and cut out most of the beating about the bush.

I hope this helps somewhat! Thanks so much for entering, and congratulations on placing. :}

As always, feel free to PM me or post on my wall with questions or the like.

Moo.
— Cow