z

Young Writers Society

Hunters: Book 1: Purity

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:46 pm
Vampiress says...

Note if you cannot handle blood, you shouldn't read this.

Preface
The pale moonlight shone through the branches of the dark brown trees, glowing onto the wolves’ fur. It wasn't bright enough to wake them, but light enough for Purity to watch over them. Purity was the Goddess of The Sky. A young wolf sat under a tree, awake. The pretty young wolf's name was Frost. Frost's grey eyes were glittering as she watched the wolves sleep. Another young wolf,Azami, sensed Frost up. Azami stretched out and walked over to Frost. She scanned Frost's white and brown coat, to see if anything was wrong.
" You don't look well." Azami said concernedly.
" I..... I feel odd" Frost admitted.
" Why don't why travel up to Komori?" Azami pointing out. " She will see what's wrong with you."
" Can we wait until sunrise?" Frost asked as it would seem odd leaving at nite.
Azami nodded and she laid with Frost, until the sun raised. Then, they'd leave camp before it would be to late in day to go. Frost could tell Azami didn’t want to take her, but she knew Azami went by one simple rule: Pack comes before yourself. Frost liked this rule, you have to be devoted to your pack if you want to survive. Every wolf should follow this, but most chose not to. That’s what caused trouble between the packs of the land. Stealing from humans, trespassing, the battles, it all was just so wrong. Frost sat there and thought and thought and thought until she fell asleep under the twinkling stars and glittering moonlight.

Chapter 1
The sun's rays shoned in the wolves eyes making them glitter like the stars did at night. Azami was in front, leading the smaller wolf, Frost. Komori was Azami's little sister and Azami trusted her with all her heart. It was silent, the loudest noise they heard was their paw-steps. It was way to quiet for Azami, so she decided to make a conversation.
" What do you think is wrong, Frost?" Azami said quietly.
" Oh, Nothing big. Just not feeling well." Frost admitted.
" Ok, thats good." Azami paused. " We absolutely do not need a wolf of our pack dying."
The short conversation was pretty much over now, Azami looked ahead, and seen her sister Komori, sitting on the edge of rocks were she lived. The sun's bright rays that gave off light were shining down on Komori, letting Frost know she was there. Azami began running to her sister, with Frost following behind. Soon enough, their large paws hit the rocks, and Komori greeted with a friendly hello.
"Hello Azami." She paused. " What seems to be the problem, you only come here if some one is .." Komori seen the other wolf, Frost, and stopped her question.
" Could you please look at her, she doesn’t feel well." Azami pointed out the obvious.
" Sure." Komori said bringing the brown and white she wolf with her.
Frost was scared, she had told Azami it wasn't anything big, but what if it was? She trusted Komori, she knew Komori wouldn't hurt her. Frost answered all of Komori's questions truthfully to make sure she got the correct answers, she was scared to know what was wrong. Komori looked up with a face that you could read she was confused.
" Honestly, I don't know what is wrong," Komori said putting her head down in shame, she'd never failed before.
" That's okay," Azami said, knowing Komori tried her best, but she still wanted to know what was wrong with Frost.
I hope nothing is seriously wrong, Frost thought with blurry vision. It was getting worse, she just didn't tell Azami. She had enough on her hands and didn't need to deal with Frost's sickness. Frost hopped it was just today she wasn't feeling well, because if not she had a good chance of death which wouldn't be good for the group of wolves she lived amongst.
Azami was dominate female, she could leave the camp whenever she pleased. She padded over to Blizzard, the dominate male, who was watching over the camp while Azami was out.
" Sorry, I was out with frost." Azami said apologizing to Blizzard.
" It's okay," Blizzard replied turning to Frost, " Why don't you go guarding?"
" Yes ,Blizzard," She replied.
Frost padded off, alone. Wind blew in her face bringing snow along, getting in the way of her sight as she ran quickly to guard. A familiar voice rang in her ears.
" Wait up!" Kafel shouted loudly so Frost would hear him nice and clear.
"Guarding?" Frost asked.
" Yes. Blizzard said there is a wolf on our territory, but not any pack wolf."
" Really?" Frost says.
Kafel nodded and ran to her side. Crunch, Crunch. Frost and Kafel's head jerked. A big, black wolf was standing behind them with an angry stare. Frost tried to run but Kafel kept her still. Don't move, Kafel thought. The black wolf approached them quickly not giving Frost and Kafel much time to think.
Kafel lowered his muzzle and snarled at he wolf. They became a tangling, deadly fight.The wolf bit his shoulder, but Kafel snarled and lashed at his shoulder. The wolf snarled and bit deeper into his shoulder. Kafel whimpered. Frost jumped up, helping Kafel. Scratching the wolf, leaving a deep and bloody wound. The wolf, bit Frost, pushing her to the side.
The larger wolf was winning.The wolf tore at Kafel's flank then clawed his muzzle. Kafel fell back and the wolf raced away.
Frost gasped at the amount of blood seeping out of Kafel and herself. She was so terrified, she looked up and howled as loud as she could. Soon, Azami and Okami were there.
" Oh my!" Okami gasped.
" Let's get him back to camp." Azami said.
Frost,Okami, and Azami took him back to camp. Kafel staggered into camp and collapsed in the middle, blood seeping.
" Are you okay?" Blizzard asked.
" No" Kafel said barely breathing.
"You'll be ok." Okami reassured him, curling up by his side.
"I'll be back" Azami said padding out of camp.
Frost's illness was making her unsteady
Azami was worried. Kafel had gotten attacked by Kage, her brother. She padded over to were Kage stayed. She sniffed the air, he was there. Azami waited for her brother come out. It wouldn't be long until Kage darted out of his den, sniffing the air, recognizing the scent.
" A-a-zami?" Kage stuttered.
" Hello Kage." Azami replied. " Why were you on my pack territory? And why did you attack Kafel?"
" Whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow down. I did NOT attack Kafel! He saw me and darted onto my back."
Azami felt Kage was lying and demanded to know the truth " Is this true?"
" I swear. I was padding, minding my own business when he attacked. So, I fought back." Kage paused. " Would I lie?"
"No," Azami said to her brother. " What did you want anyway?"
" I wanted to take part in a wolf pack. I knew you'd accept you brother." Kage said.
" Ok then. Follow me" Azami said leading her brother to her pack of wolves.
Kage and Azami arrived at their pack. Kafel, Frost, Okami, and Blizzard looked at the strange wolf. Kage was nothing like Azami, and the pack could already tell. Azami's expression let her pack know everything was okay. Okami walked over to Azami.
"Who is that?" Okami whispered in Azami's ear.
"I'm getting to that." Azami said. " Pack, This is my brother Kage."
Kafel recognized the wolf's fur and scent. He snarled at him in the same order he had before. When Kafel attacked Kage. Traitor,Kafel thought.
" Now, now. You've all heard and seen Kafel got into a fight with this wolf. I am not taking sides, but Kage's story is likely. He will be a member of the pack. No ifs,ands, or buts about it." Azami said.
"Thank you so much, Azami." Kage said. " So, were do we sleep? Who gives us orders? "
" Blizzard and I give orders. You sleep outside in camp or in large dens." Azami said.
" Never thought my little sister would be giving me orders" Kage said.
Azami snarled. He better watch it, Azami thought to herself. She was tired, so she rested her body on the long,cold ,rocks. She hoped blizzard would watch over the pack while she rested.
Okami circled back and forth waiting for Azami to awake. Okami's paw-steps were getting louder and louder on the thin rock. Moments later, Azami's head peered up. She looked around, then yawned, and spoke up.
" Yes, Okami?" Azami asked.
" We are low on fresh kill. I- I wanted to make sure it was okay to leave camp and who to take with, and Blizzard said I should wake you up now. So, I figured I'd ask you while I was here." Okami replied.
" Thats fine. You may go alone, or take Kage. He is an excellent hunter." Azami told her.
" I'll go get him, now. Bye Azami!" Okami said.
Azami walked over to Blizzard. Seeing he was sitting on a rock watching over his territory, Azami sat next to him. The cold snow fell on there heads, but they continued watching incase something happened to their camp. The sun's rays made Azami's eyes glitter. Blizzard looked over at Azami.
"Is your brother adjusting to pack-life okay?"
" Yes. He is with Okami , hunting now."Azami replied kindly.
" Watching is boring." Blizzard said.
" What are you watching?" Frost asked as she came up to Azami and Blizzard.
"Watching our camp." Azami answered before Blizzard could.
" Then I agree, it bor-" Frost said getting cut off.
Blizzard darted down. Over to the entrance of the territory, barking like a dog at a cat. He snarled at the lone wolf. Waiting for him to back off, but he didn't.Quickly, Azami showed up behind Blizzard snarling.
" You'd better go, things could get ugly." Azami barked.
"I'd like to see a girl, hurt me." The wolf growled.
" You have no idea what Azami is capable of" Blizzard chuckled.
The white wolf jumped onto Blizzard but Azami knocked him down and pinned him with her sharp claws. Azami laughed and yelled " Get!" very loudly scaring the wolf off.
Blizzard laughed along with Frost. Moments later, Kage and Okami showed up.
" We ran here as fast as we possibly could" Kage said. " What happened?"
" Nothing." Blizzard said seeing the large prey the had brought back.
Before digging into their fat, juicy, deer they checked the unusually quiet camp. They scanned the dens cautiously, and carefully incase something was wrong. Kage sniffed, the fresh, winter air but everything was the same, and how it should be, but then another pack's scent filled the air were Kage was standing. It smelt like Axel, leader of another pack, and it was the biggest.
" Wolves of my pack, as you know we need to talk with the other packs. I've decided we needed to set up a talk with them, it shall be a just a few days. There will be 6 wolves there, 2 from each pack." Azami said
It was sunrise and Azami was not up,she was quite wore out from yesterday, her body was stretched out on the long, cold, black rock. Blizzard let her sleep, while he looked after the camp. The sun's warm rays kept them warm, but not to warm to melt the snow. All the wolves of the pack hoped today would be less dramatic than it was the previous day but with their luck it probably wouldn't. It was still early, so Blizzard let his pack rest or roam freely.
" Morning Blizzard" Azami greeted him half awake. " I'm going down to the river."
"Mm okay" He replied.
Azami padded down to the river, she was thirsty. Good thing a bit a ice was melted to provide water for her dry mouth. Unexpectedly, she seen Kage sitting there. She pretended like she didn't see him, she wasn't ready to have a conversation this early. She washed her muzzle in the melted ice. She drank a bit and went to head back to camp. Azami decided she could use some alone time so she stayed out. Thank god for having Alpha Male and Beta wolf, She thought. Azami ran in the open field, wind blowing threw her fur. She wasn't on anyone's territory, she was safe and free.
I hope no one sees me, Azami thought.
If someone had seen her, she’d be dead. The whole land would have been talking about how the alpha female was running in the field, playing around. Axel would make a big ordeal and then he’d have a good excuse for attacking. Azami’s pack had always been nice to his pack, and in return they got various attacks. That still would not stop Azami’s pack from living in that land. Her pack as lived there since ancient wolves, always have always will. Nothing Axel could do would make her pack leave, She thought.
Azami was trotting along on her way back to camp. She was thinking of things she needed to do before she reached camp, so it wouldn’t look like she forgot, even though she did. Cool winter air blew in her brown fur, making her feel so free. But before she knew it, she’d be back to being in charge and doing nothing exciting.

Chapter 2
Tonight was the night Azami picked a member of her pack to go with her.Every wolf in her pack hoped Azami would choose them to go . Who should I chose?, Azami thought. Wolves were trying 'kiss up' to her. Azami hated picking someone, she didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.
" Kage?" Azami whispered. " Would you like to go?"
" Me? There are other wolves you are more worthy than I am." Kage said.
" I want you to go, not the worthy ones." Azami said making him feel better, after all he was her brother.
" Well, if you insist on me attending" Kage paused." Then, I will."
" Alright then, It's tonight." Azami told her older brother.
She walked away and up to the rocks were Blizzard was sitting. She wanted to let him know who she had chosen to attend.She waited quietly until Blizzard was finished speaking with Frost.
"Who have you chosen?" He asked.
" Kage, he seems like he should get to know the other packs and all." She replied.
" No need to explain, great choice. It should be fun for him." Blizzard says.
It was time to leave to chat with the other packs.. Azami and Kage were on their way to go. Blizzard and the pack said their good-byes and sat in the dens waiting for them to come. Once Kage and Azami got there, the dominate male the biggest pack rises to talk.
" I hope you happy." He snarls at Azami."Your tiny,wimpy, pack has been tress passing on OUR territory."
" WHAT?" Kage whispers.
" SHH, he is talking" Azami scolded her older brother.
" Yes, YOUR pack scent is all over our territory, Azami could you explain why?" Axel, the most cruel hearted of all, asked.
" Look, we don't have what even half has many wolves in our pack. What wolf would be stupid enough to mess with your pack? You may be stupid enough to do it to us, but my pack is far more brighter than yours."
The rest of the pack representatives from the other packs agreed with Azami. The all nodded. Kage could sense Axel was lying. Kage was getting mad, he wanted to rip Axel because he remember Axel's scent on their territory.
Later, Azami and Kage returned , and the pack members could tell by Kage's expression it did not go well, at all. Blizzard didn't ask Azami how it went , but she told her pack anyway.
" You are my pack and you deserve to know the truth about everything."Azami paused. " Axel is lying. They said we are going onto their territory. But we all no it's a lie. We are just going to ignore it."
" Are you sure? Because I can rip Axel into tiny little pieces." Kage spoke up loudly, not knowing last one day he’d get to.
"Ha, I'd pay to see that!" Okami said.
Kage looked at Okami. He liked her personality. Why won't Azami let me kill Axel??, he thought. Kage was tired, so he laid beside Okami. He fell asleep quickly. Azami on the other hand was pacing back and forth thinking about what Axel had said . Azami snarled.
" What's wrong Azami?" Blizzard asked curiously.
" Stupid, Axel. Such a liar" Azami growled angrily.
" Forget about him" Blizzard said not caring about Axel.
Blizzard and Azami laid down in their den and went to sleep, hoping everything would be okay when they woke up. Probably not, but it was always worth a shot. You never know what the day may bring.
Okami woke up to the sound of snarling, she darted up, and got Azami and blizzard. Azami shot up like a rocket, she knew her pack needed her to come, so she followed the booming sound of snarls. Okami followed behind her , scared. Azami hoped it wasn't Axel and his pack, she started padding faster and faster , to where her pack was surrounding a small,skinny wolf.
" Who are you?" Azami asked angrily hoping it wasn't a wolf from Axel's horrid pack.
" Kurai." She spoke up.
" I can tell you need us" Azami said looking at Kurai's dirty fur. " Come."
Azami showed Kurai around the pack, introducing her to each wolf, and tell her rules she must follow. Kurai nodded, understanding everything. Hurry up, She thought. Kurai needed to see Kage, he had to know something very important that may not be so pleasant.
Last edited by Vampiress on Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
whether they start good or bad, Every good writer starts somewhere

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:57 pm
Wolfdaemon says...

hi! i am here to comment on your story, as you may all ready know! first off, i love wolves (my fav animal) so i love them in here lol.
i really liked your people and story, i would really like to hear more about it! sparked meh curiosity!
You do well to believe in God. Satan also believes...and trembles.James 2:19
http://dragcave.net/user/Roma-Gypsy
^ you should so click this.... :)

13 Reviews

Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:00 pm
Vampiress says...

Wolfdaemon wrote:hi! i am here to comment on your story, as you may all ready know! first off, i love wolves (my fav animal) so i love them in here lol.
i really liked your people and story, i would really like to hear more about it! sparked meh curiosity!

Thank you!!

Reviews: 3
Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:40 pm
SaturnTears says...

Okay, sorry to bust your bubbles, but this isn't ready to be published...

First, you need to get better at your phrasing.

Frost asked as it would seem odd leaving at nite. (Is 'nite' suppose to be 'night' or 'nine'?)

"tress passing" is one word.

You use the names of the wolves too much, and since this is a book about wolves, you shouldn't keep using "she/he said"... You should use: Growled, barked, snarled, just like with cats, they'll say: "She mewed".

" I, I feel odd" Frost admitted. (I think it should be: " I... I feel odd" Frost admitted.)

" Hi Kurai." (Should be: " Hi, Kurai.")

Azami was dominate female, (Should have either 'the' in there, or 'a'. I'd go with 'the'.)

You use 'said' and 'asked' a terribly lot, so you should try avoiding it sometimes. When getting published, editors will look through everything. That is maybe fix a few things they don't like, small phrasings, and typos, but they can't change everything for you. That's just too much work.

Before digging into their fat, juicy, deer they checked the unusually quiet camp. (Should have a comma after 'deer'.)

You aren't precise on your details either. It's good when you're not with everything, because you need to leave some imagination to the reader, but this barely has any detail. It seems more like you telling instead of showing. (Search it up if you don't know what I mean. All you have do to is "Show, don't tell" on Google and it will pop up.)

Most critics will give false information, on saying "Show, don't tell.", and while it's an irritatingly famous saying, they give it wrongly. You cannot always show. If you always show, you'll always be giving everything out on a platter to the readers. Like I said, you need to leave some imagery to the readers, and make them wonder, not just know it so easily due to the details. You show when you really want the reader to feel it, or see it, and you tell when 'showing' gets old. You can't always show, because then, the reader will not even know it, and it all becomes the same, and so you revert to telling.

I read the first 'paragraph', and most of the dialogue, and then skipped over a few things, but I know for a fact that you are lacking detail. A lot, of detail.

It might hurt, but it's the truth. You need to edit, and edit, and edit, and edit, then re-edit the edits of editing. Then, finally when you decide you want to publish it, and you got amazing reviews on it, edit again for the heck of it.

A writing needs to be as perfect as can be. It does not matter if you're good for your age, but how good you are at all. A publisher won't care about your age, but your gift to write.

Often, a writer will get carried away when they post their stories on the internet. Why? Because they will get reviews, that are really just comments, going, "Wow! This is amazing, you're really good for your age." Things like that, don't listen. That is needless flattery, and it shows that they are inexperienced in the fields of writing. These too:

"Wow, this is great! Already hooked."

"I love it!!! I can't wait for more, this is really good."

"You're such an amazing writer, I wish I could write like you."

And... If you're going to write a story about wolves, you need to know A LOT, about them (Also like knowing every difference a wolf has between a dog). And I mean A LOT. To the point, that you think you've got the image of how a real life wolf would act in your story. You need to become the animal... Same goes for characters, both human, monsters, and animals. These are wolves, so they don't have much character as a human could, but they still require some working. They need to be more wolf-like too. It seems more like they were humans, that just turned into wolves. Maybe I was readin' about wolves, but I wasn't convinced.
+++
The pale moonlight shone through the branches of the trees, shedding onto the wolves fur (That sounds better. Maybe use another word than "shedding", but you should not use "glowing"...)

This might all sound negative, and at this point, you probably don't care for what I'm going to say. I did like it, it was kinda interesting, but a lot of work is needed. Even if it's not ready to be published though, it does have potential.
++++
Few things...

Dialogue could be done better. It just seemed strange, since they are wolves and not humans. (Or at least form what I've read)

The format could be done better. For every chapter, you need to make it... another page, or whatever, and make the chapter 'title' bigger, so it's noticeable to the point it doesn't seem like there's "Chapter one", being said in the story.
++++
Now, the author.

The author needs to really feel their characters, and become them. Animals or not, you need to do this. You need to know EXACTLY how they would react to EVERY situation. It's very hard to be a writer, so I'm giving this out while I can. You need to consider the reader too, and not fall into a category of Mary-sue... Her curse is dreadful, and it makes your readers angry. (Look up Mary-sue if you don't know what I'm talking about. There's also tips on how to avoid her, like flaws for one) You actually need to consider everything... Which is why it's difficult. And for a series, or a very long book, you should keep notes if you might forget something. You need to not use the same words over, and... Okay, well, you can learn this as you go on, from your mistakes, not the ones I've seen xD.

Becoming a writer, means taking a lot of criticism. (Also staying up light at night and writing or waking up early and writing XD!) So, you need to get a really hard shell, like a turtle's! And as I write this, I forgot everything I was going to say... Anyways, you need to search up a lot of things. They might seem boring, but they help. I'll give you a few links...

This site is very helpful. Click on the tags, and read away. Listen :). (Also, when reading other books, observe.)

http://www.plottopunctuation.com/blog/index/character

That's a lot about developing a character. (If you click on the right tags)

This is "Show, not tell."

http://foremostpress.com/authors/articl ... _tell.html

I hope I helped in a at least SOME way, even if it was a little... :(
My Heart Can't Possibly Break When It Wasn't Even Whole To Start With

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:51 pm
LookUpThere says...

Hero here! Now, to review.

~Mackenzie wrote:Note if you cannot handle blood, you shouldn't read this.
"read alittle and review what you read, you don't
have to do it all at once"

Preface

This is my re-write of your story. It was a bit flawed and badly punctuated, so here's whtat it should have looked like:
~Mackenzie wrote:Preface
The pale moonlight shone through the branches of the trees, glowing onto the wolves' fur. It wasn't bright enough to wake them, but light enough for Purity to watch over them. A young wolf sat under a tree, awake. The pretty young wolf's name was Frost. Frost's gray eyes were glittering as she watched the wolves sleep. Another young wolf, Azami, sensed Frost up. Azami stretched out and walked over to Frost.She scanned Frost's white and brown coat, to see if anything was wrong."You don't look well." Azami said concerned. " I... I feel odd" Frost admitted.
" Why don't why travel up to Komori?" Azami pointing out. " She will heal you."" Can we wait until sunrise?" Frost asked as it would seem odd leaving at nite. Azami nodded and she laid with Frost, until the sun raised. Then, they'd leave camp before it would be to late in day to go. Frost could tell Azami didn’t want to take her, but she knew Azami went by one simple rule: Pack comes before yourself. Frost liked this rule, you have to be devoted to your pack if you want to survive. Every wolf should follow this, but most chose not to. That’s what caused trouble between the packs of the land. Stealing from humans, tress passing, the battles, it all was just so wrong. Frost sat there and thought and thought and thought until she fell asleep under the twinkling stars and glittering moonlight.

This was interesting enough. However, I should mention that your grammar and language was not up to standard:

There's a space after comma. Now, I am only reviewing the first preface so that is what I am talking about. Read through it, and most likely the whole story, and see what is wrong. Were you writing on YWS or NotePad? I know most writing things Lke Microsoft or OPenOffice would have an adequate spell check. use them. Really read through your work before you post anything. And like I said, you shouldn't ever post a long amount like this. It turns reviewers off.

Okay, my review:

:arrow: The first thing that turns people on is your story, it sounds really interesting and your character ( I believe she is female, yes?) seems really kind and caring and moral. I agree with the whole wolves thing. If I were you, I'd keep this character the same throughout. She's great. Maybe you might want to develop a fear in her? Something that ties her greatest quality with her worst fear. Something to make me really love her.
:arrow: Firs thing that turns the reader OFF is your grammar and language. It is common courtesy to check your work for problems. And if (Like I once experienced) did not have a proper office suite like Microsoft Office or OpenOffice and are using Wordpad or notepad, send me an attachment and I'll spellcheck with OpenOffice. By the way YWS has a spell check. I cannot stress how important it is to get your basic writing right. But I already have, haven't I?
:arrow: Do not assume we'll read your whole story. I know you didn't when you said read a bit, review a bit, BUT you did when you talked about Purity. In the preface/prologue, you should NEVER write about something without giving a hint of suspense, confusion, wonder or explaining this. I thought when you said Purity you would start writing about her. But you instead wrote about the wolf and I wondered "Where's purity?"
:arrow: Back to basic writing and grammar. I think this was very poor. You kept writing: Azami Said, Frost Pointed out, Azami asked, Frost said, Azami this, Frost that. When you are writing between two characters, obviously the next line will be by the other character.
:arrow: Your punctuation was bad. After every full stop/period, comma, question mark after every everything, there should be a space. Also, don't just write dialogue from character to character. Skip lines with your dialogue, this is really proper.

I'll rewrite your preface, showing exactly what would have been better. I shall not, however, put anything in red.

~Mackenzie wrote:Pale moonlight shone through the branches of trees (Describe the trees). It wasn't bright enough to wake the wolves, but light enough for Purity to watch over them. (Once again, when will we meet Purity here? Pretending I swore never to read anything but a preface. Would Purity ever amount to anything in my mind?). A young wolf sat under a tree, awake. The pretty (Who said anything about pretty. If she's pretty, say so.) young wolf's name was Frost.Frost's gray eyes were glittering as she watched the other wolves sleep. Another young wolf,Azami, sensed Frost up (Huh?). She (We know it's Azami) stretched out and walked over to Frost. She scanned Frost's white and brown coat, to see if anything was wrong. "You don't look well." Azami said concernedly.
" I... I feel odd"
" Why don't why travel up to Komori? She will heal you."
"Can we wait until sunrise?" It would seem odd leaving at night, Frost thought. Azami nodded and she lay with Frost, until the sun rose. They would leave camp before it was too late in the day to go.

Frost could tell Azami didn’t want to take her, but she knew Azami, as did every other wolf, went by one simple rule: 'Pack comes before yourself.' Frost liked this rule, you have to be devoted to your pack if you want to survive. Every wolf should follow this, but most chose not to. That’s what caused trouble between the packs of the land. Stealing from humans, tress passing, the battles, it was just so wrong (What does this have to do with Pack before Self?). Frost sat there and thought until she fell asleep under the twinkling stars and glittering moonlight.

Okay, that was the part where I point out a few things. Now let me re-write without pointing out anything. You'll pick up on what was pointed out.

~Mackenzie wrote:Pale moonlight filtered through the tree branches and shone upon the wolves' fur. A young wolf named Frost sat under a tree and she watched the others. Another young wolf, Azami, sensed Frost up. She stretched out and walked over to Frost. She scanned Frost's white and brown coat, to see if anything was wrong. "You don't look well." Azami said.
" I... feel odd" Frost admitted.
"Why don't why travel up to Komori? She will heal you."
"Can we wait until sunrise?" Frost asked, as it would seem odd leaving at night. Azami nodded and she lay with Frost, until the sun rose.They would leave camp later on, before it was too late to go.

Frost could tell Azami didn’t want to take her, but she knew Azami went by one simple rule: Pack comes before yourself. Frost liked this rule, you'd have to be devoted to your pack if you wanted to survive. Every wolf should follow this, but most chose not to. That’s what caused trouble between the packs of the land. Stealing from humans, tress passing, the battles, it was just so wrong. Frost sat there and thoughtuntil she fell asleep under the twinkling stars and glittering moonlight.

:arrow: Stick to your tense. There were a few places where you swapped:

~Mackenzie wrote:Azami nodded and she laid with Frost, until the sun raised. Then, they'd leave camp before it would be to late in day to go.

Read it aloud and compare with my re-write.

Basic Rules of writing:

:arrow: Your words in quotation marks have no space between them and the quotes. " Hiya." is wrong. It should be "Hiya."
:arrow: Your words after commas andfull-stops/periods have space: Hiya.My name is Jack. Is wrong. It should be: Hiya. My name is Jack.
:arrow: Grammar and Language from Second Grade apply. But you had no problem with capitals and stuff. Also I liked you vocab. by the way :smt003
:arrow: When you describe something, don't be ignorant of your senses. Imagine if God said you could only hear and see from now on. You might say, "Okay." until you realize most of the stuff you taste is actually a smell. Do your eyes water when you smell chillia or taste it? What doe sit matter if you see snow but don't feel it? Describe with ALL your senses.
:arrow: Pronouns. Those are important things. Instead of Azami did this. Azami did that. Azami leapt over this. Azami rolled from. It could be Azami did this. She rolled over him. Ran past her. She kiled her. She ate them. Then she hit Hero in the face.
:arrow: Brevity. This means making sentences as short as possible. You'll often hear baout this. A matric friend of mine (Actually two :) ) said Brevity = Correctitude. Meaning Don't write: She did this. She did that. She leapt over him. She killed him. (That's four sentences. Now watch the magic:) She did this and then that. Leaping over him, she proceeded to kill him. See? Only two sentences! This also helps you make your story less repitative. No one likes sentences starting the same. I give you two years until your teacher starts yelling at the other kids (Not you cause your a YWSer now): STOP STARTING EVERY SENTENCE WITH SO!! Blah blah, blah. Trust me

And that's it for your language.

Summary:
:arrow: Language. Grammar.
:arrow: Never introduce something unless you will properly introduce something.
:arrow: Pronouns are helpful. Remember Breivty = Correctitude. it helps you writer 'Gooder' :D

This has been a review of your preface, NewHero style. Please, please! Take out this whole thing and repost it as only either Preface or Preface plus chapter 1. You will get way more reviews. Because Now you have to apply nearly everything I said to your entire story. And everything I'll say next to everything after Chap 1 and before. And pretty soon after every review you'll have to change 18 pages! Whilst you could have just listened to my first review and kept applying it as you grew in size. I know what you were thniking, but just post one thing. You get reviews of more quality..

Hero goes Up, up, down, up, continues leaping, up, up, down, up and away! But he's not flying, just leaping.

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:03 pm
winie603 says...

This piece has some editing work to be done, especially with punctiation. Below is almost all of the first chapter of your story (edited):

The pale moonlight shone through the branches of the trees, glowing onto the wolves fur. It wasn't bright enough to wake them, but light enough for Purity to watch over them. A young wolf sat under a tree, awake. The pretty young wolf's name was Frost. (space here)Frost's grey eyes were glittering as she watched the wolves sleep. Another young wolf,(space here)Azami, sensed Frost up. Azami stretched out and walked over to Frost. (space here)She scanned Frost's white and brown coat, to see if anything was wrong.
" You don't look well," Azami said concernedly.
" I, I feel odd," Frost admitted.
" Why don't why travel up to Komori?" Azami pointing out, " She will heal you."
" Can we wait until sunrise?" Frost asked as it would seem odd leaving at night.
Azami nodded and she laid with Frost, until the sun raised. Then, they'd leave camp before it would be to late (during the) day to go. Frost could tell Azami didn’t want to take her, but she knew Azami went by one simple rule: Pack comes before yourself. Frost liked this rule, you have to be devoted to your pack if you want to survive. Every wolf should follow this, but most chose not to. That’s what caused trouble between the packs of the land. Stealing from humans, tres (no space, one word)passing, the battles, it all was just so wrong. Frost sat there and thought and thought and thought until she fell asleep under the twinkling stars and glittering moonlight.

Chapter 1
The sun's rays shone in the wolves eyes making them glitter like the stars did at night. Azami was in front, leading the smaller wolf, Frost. Komori was Azami's little sister,(no comma) and Azami trusted her with all her heart. It was silent, the loudest noise they heard was their paw-steps. It was way to quiet for Azami, so she decided to make a conversation.
" What do you think is wrong, Frost?" Azami said quietly.
" Oh, Nothing big. Just not feeling well," Frost admitted.
" Ok, thats good," Azami paused, " We absolutely do not need a wolf of our pack dying."
The short conversation was pretty much over now. Azami looked ahead, and saw her sister Komori, (no comma) sitting on the edge of rocks were she lived. The sun's bright rays that gave off light were shining down on Komori, letting Frost know she was there. Azami began running to her sister, with Frost following behind. Soon enough, their large paws hit the rocks, and Komori greeted with a friendly hello.
"Hello Azami," She paused, " What seems to be the problem, you only come here if some one is .." Komori sees the other wolf, Frost, and stopped her question.
" Could you please look at her, she doesn’t feel well," Azami pointed out the obvious.
" Sure," Komori said bringing the brown and white she wolf with her.
Frost was scared, she had told Azami it wasn't anything big, but what if it was? She trusted Komori, she knew Komori wouldn't hurt her. Frost answered all of Komori's questions truthfully to make sure she got the correct answers, she was scared to know what was wrong. Komori looked up with a face that you could read, (no comma here) she was confused.
" Honestly, I don't know what is wrong," Komori said putting her head down in shame, she'd never failed before.
" That's okay," Azami said, knowing Komori tried her best, but she still wanted to know what was wrong with Frost.
'I hope nothing is seriously wrong' Frost thought with blurry vision. It was getting worse, she just didn't tell Azami. She had enough on her hands and didn't need to deal with Frost's sickness. Frost hopped it was just today she wasn't feeling well, because if not she had a good chance of death which wouldn't be good for the group of wolves she lived amongst.
Azami was dominate female, she could leave the camp whenever she pleased. She padded over to Blizzard, the dominate male, who was watching over the camp while Azami was out.
" Sorry, I was out with frost," Azami said apologizing to Blizzard.
" It's okay," Blizzard replied turning to Frost, " Why don't you go guarding?"
" Yes,Blizzard," She replied.
Frost padded off, alone. Wind blew in her face bringing snow along, getting in the way of her sight,(no comma) as she ran quickly to guard. A familiar voice rang in her ears.
" Wait up!" Kafel shouted loudly so Frost would hear him nice and clear.
"Guarding?" Frost asked.
" Yes. Blizzard said there is a wolf on our territory, but not any pack wolf."
" Really?" Frost says.
Kafel nodded and ran to her side. Crunch, Crunch. Frost and Kafel's head jerked. A big, (lowcase b) Black wolf was standing behind them with an angry stare. Frost tried to run but Kafel kept her still. 'Don't move' Kafel thought. The black wolf, (no comma) approached them quickly not giving Frost and Kafel much time to think.
Kafel lowered his muzzle and snarled at the wolf. They became a tangling, deadly fight.The wolf bit his shoulder, but Kafel snarled and lashed at his shoulder. The wolf snarled and bit deeper into his shoulder. Kafel whimpered. Frost jumped up, helping Kafel. Scratching the wolf, leaving a deep and bloody wound. The wolf, (no comma) bit Frost, pushing her to the side.
The larger wolf was winning.The wolf tore at Kafel's flank then clawed his muzzle. Kafel fell back and the wolf raced away.

Frost gasped at the amount of blood seeping out of Kafel and herself. She was so terrified, she looked up and howled as loud as she could. Soon, Azami and Okami were there.
" Oh my!" Okami gasped.
" Let's get him back to camp," Azami said.
Frost,Okami, and Azami took him back to camp. Kafel staggered into camp and collapsed in the middle, blood seeping.
" No," Kafel said barely breathing.
"You'll be ok," Okami reassured him, curling up by his side.
"I'll be back," Azami said padding out of camp.
Frost's illness was making her unsteady.

Azami was worried. Kafel had gotten attacked by Kage, (space here)her brother. She padded over to where Kage stayed. She sniffed the air, he was there. Azami waited for her brother come out. It wouldn't be long until Kage darted out of his den, sniffing the air, recognizing the scent.
" A-a-zami?" Kage stuttered.
" Hello Kage," Azami replied, " Why were you on my pack territory? And why did you attack Kafel?"
" Whoa,(space here)whoa,(space here)whoa. (capital s) slow down. I did NOT attack Kafel! He saw me and darted onto my back."
Azami felt Kage was lying and demanded to know the truth. " Is this true?"
" I swear. I was padding, minding my own business when he attacked. So, I fought back," Kage paused, " Would I lie?"
"No," Azami said to her brother, " What did you want anyway?"
" I wanted to take part in a wolf pack. I knew you'd accept you brother," Kage said.
" Ok then. Follow me," Azami said leading her brother to her pack of wolves.
Kage and Azami arrived at their pack. Kafel, (space here)Frost, (space here) Okami, (no comma) and Blizzard looked at the strange wolf. Kage was nothing like Azami, and the pack could already tell. Azami's expression let her pack know everything was okay. Okami walked over to Azami.
"Who is that?" Okami whispered in Azami's ear.
"I'm getting to that," Azami said, " Pack, This is my brother Kage."
Kafel recognized the wolf's fur and scent. He snarled at him in the same order he had before. When Kafel attacked Kage. Traitor, (space here) Kafel thought.
"Now, now. You've all heard and seen Kafel got into a fight with this wolf. I am not taking sides, but Kage's story is likely. He will be a member of the pack. No ifs,ands, or buts about it," Azami said.
"Thank you so much, Azami," Kage said, " So, were do we sleep? Who gives us orders?"
"Blizzard and I give orders. You sleep outside in camp or in large dens." Azami said.
"Never thought my little sister would be giving me orders" Kage said.
Azami snarled. He better watch it, Azami thought to herself. She was tired, so she rested her body on the long, cold rocks. She hoped blizzard would watch over the pack while she rested.

OVERALL

If you polish up this piece, punctuation, some spelling and word choice wise, it could make up to be an interesting piece! However, you really need to develop the characters better. Like someone else said, to write about wolfs you really need to know them well, so I would do some researching. You can also gather some wolf books at the library! The most famous one I can think of right now is "The Call of the Wild." Well, I really hope this helps!
winie*
Sometimes you're the apple, sometimes you're the mouth- me XD

13 Reviews

Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:21 pm
Vampiress says...

TheNewHero wrote:Hero here! Now, to review.

~Mackenzie wrote:Note if you cannot handle blood, you shouldn't read this.
"read alittle and review what you read, you don't
have to do it all at once"

Preface

This is my re-write of your story. It was a bit flawed and badly punctuated, so here's whtat it should have looked like:
The pale moonlight shone through the branches of the trees, glowing onto the wolves' fur. It wasn't bright enough to wake them, but light enough for Purity to watch over them. A young wolf sat under a tree, awake. The pretty young wolf's name was Frost. Frost's gray eyes were glittering as she watched the wolves sleep. Another young wolf, Azami, sensed Frost up. Azami stretched out and walked over to Frost.She scanned Frost's white and brown coat, to see if anything was wrong."You don't look well." Azami said concerned. " I... I feel odd" Frost admitted.
" Why don't why travel up to Komori?" Azami pointing out. " She will heal you."" Can we wait until sunrise?" Frost asked as it would seem odd leaving at nite. Azami nodded and she laid with Frost, until the sun raised. Then, they'd leave camp before it would be to late in day to go. Frost could tell Azami didn’t want to take her, but she knew Azami went by one simple rule: Pack comes before yourself. Frost liked this rule, you have to be devoted to your pack if you want to survive. Every wolf should follow this, but most chose not to. That’s what caused trouble between the packs of the land. Stealing from humans, tress passing, the battles, it all was just so wrong. Frost sat there and thought and thought and thought until she fell asleep under the twinkling stars and glittering moonlight.

This was interesting enough. However, I should mention that your grammar and language was not up to standard:

There's a space after comma. Now, I am only reviewing the first preface so that is what I am talking about. Read through it, and most likely the whole story, and see what is wrong. Were you writing on YWS or NotePad? I know most writing things Lke Microsoft or OPenOffice would have an adequate spell check. use them. Really read through your work before you post anything. And like I said, you shouldn't ever post a long amount like this. It turns reviewers off.

Okay, my review:

:arrow: The first thing that turns people on is your story, it sounds really interesting and your character ( I believe she is female, yes?) seems really kind and caring and moral. I agree with the whole wolves thing. If I were you, I'd keep this character the same throughout. She's great. Maybe you might want to develop a fear in her? Something that ties her greatest quality with her worst fear. Something to make me really love her.
:arrow: Firs thing that turns the reader OFF is your grammar and language. It is common courtesy to check your work for problems. And if (Like I once experienced) did not have a proper office suite like Microsoft Office or OpenOffice and are using Wordpad or notepad, send me an attachment and I'll spellcheck with OpenOffice. By the way YWS has a spell check. I cannot stress how important it is to get your basic writing right. But I already have, haven't I?
:arrow: Do not assume we'll read your whole story. I know you didn't when you said read a bit, review a bit, BUT you did when you talked about Purity. In the preface/prologue, you should NEVER write about something without giving a hint of suspense, confusion, wonder or explaining this. I thought when you said Purity you would start writing about her. But you instead wrote about the wolf and I wondered "Where's purity?"
:arrow: Back to basic writing and grammar. I think this was very poor. You kept writing: Azami Said, Frost Pointed out, Azami asked, Frost said, Azami this, Frost that. When you are writing between two characters, obviously the next line will be by the other character.
:arrow: Your punctuation was bad. After every full stop/period, comma, question mark after every everything, there should be a space. Also, don't just write dialogue from character to character. Skip lines with your dialogue, this is really proper.

I'll rewrite your preface, showing exactly what would have been better. I shall not, however, put anything in red.

~Mackenzie wrote:Pale moonlight shone through the branches of trees (Describe the trees). It wasn't bright enough to wake the wolves, but light enough for Purity to watch over them. (Once again, when will we meet Purity here? Pretending I swore never to read anything but a preface. Would Purity ever amount to anything in my mind?). A young wolf sat under a tree, awake. The pretty (Who said anything about pretty. If she's pretty, say so.) young wolf's name was Frost.Frost's gray eyes were glittering as she watched the other wolves sleep. Another young wolf,Azami, sensed Frost up (Huh?). She (We know it's Azami) stretched out and walked over to Frost. She scanned Frost's white and brown coat, to see if anything was wrong. "You don't look well." Azami said concernedly.
" I... I feel odd"
" Why don't why travel up to Komori? She will heal you."
"Can we wait until sunrise?" It would seem odd leaving at night, Frost thought. Azami nodded and she lay with Frost, until the sun rose. They would leave camp before it was too late in the day to go.

Frost could tell Azami didn’t want to take her, but she knew Azami, as did every other wolf, went by one simple rule: 'Pack comes before yourself.' Frost liked this rule, you have to be devoted to your pack if you want to survive. Every wolf should follow this, but most chose not to. That’s what caused trouble between the packs of the land. Stealing from humans, tress passing, the battles, it was just so wrong (What does this have to do with Pack before Self?). Frost sat there and thought until she fell asleep under the twinkling stars and glittering moonlight.

Okay, that was the part where I point out a few things. Now let me re-write without pointing out anything. You'll pick up on what was pointed out.

~Mackenzie wrote:Pale moonlight filtered through the tree branches and shone upon the wolves' fur. A young wolf named Frost sat under a tree and she watched the others. Another young wolf, Azami, sensed Frost up. She stretched out and walked over to Frost. She scanned Frost's white and brown coat, to see if anything was wrong. "You don't look well." Azami said.
" I... feel odd" Frost admitted.
"Why don't why travel up to Komori? She will heal you."
"Can we wait until sunrise?" Frost asked, as it would seem odd leaving at night. Azami nodded and she lay with Frost, until the sun rose.They would leave camp later on, before it was too late to go.

Frost could tell Azami didn’t want to take her, but she knew Azami went by one simple rule: Pack comes before yourself. Frost liked this rule, you'd have to be devoted to your pack if you wanted to survive. Every wolf should follow this, but most chose not to. That’s what caused trouble between the packs of the land. Stealing from humans, tress passing, the battles, it was just so wrong. Frost sat there and thoughtuntil she fell asleep under the twinkling stars and glittering moonlight.

:arrow: Stick to your tense. There were a few places where you swapped:

~Mackenzie wrote:Azami nodded and she laid with Frost, until the sun raised. Then, they'd leave camp before it would be to late in day to go.

Read it aloud and compare with my re-write.

Basic Rules of writing:

:arrow: Your words in quotation marks have no space between them and the quotes. " Hiya." is wrong. It should be "Hiya."
:arrow: Your words after commas andfull-stops/periods have space: Hiya.My name is Jack. Is wrong. It should be: Hiya. My name is Jack.
:arrow: Grammar and Language from Second Grade apply. But you had no problem with capitals and stuff. Also I liked you vocab. by the way :smt003
:arrow: When you describe something, don't be ignorant of your senses. Imagine if God said you could only hear and see from now on. You might say, "Okay." until you realize most of the stuff you taste is actually a smell. Do your eyes water when you smell chillia or taste it? What doe sit matter if you see snow but don't feel it? Describe with ALL your senses.
:arrow: Pronouns. Those are important things. Instead of Azami did this. Azami did that. Azami leapt over this. Azami rolled from. It could be Azami did this. She rolled over him. Ran past her. She kiled her. She ate them. Then she hit Hero in the face.
:arrow: Brevity. This means making sentences as short as possible. You'll often hear baout this. A matric friend of mine (Actually two :) ) said Brevity = Correctitude. Meaning Don't write: She did this. She did that. She leapt over him. She killed him. (That's four sentences. Now watch the magic:) She did this and then that. Leaping over him, she proceeded to kill him. See? Only two sentences! This also helps you make your story less repitative. No one likes sentences starting the same. I give you two years until your teacher starts yelling at the other kids (Not you cause your a YWSer now): STOP STARTING EVERY SENTENCE WITH SO!! Blah blah, blah. Trust me

And that's it for your language.

Summary:
:arrow: Language. Grammar.
:arrow: Never introduce something unless you will properly introduce something.
:arrow: Pronouns are helpful. Remember Breivty = Correctitude. it helps you writer 'Gooder' :D

This has been a review of your preface, NewHero style. Please, please! Take out this whole thing and repost it as only either Preface or Preface plus chapter 1. You will get way more reviews. Because Now you have to apply nearly everything I said to your entire story. And everything I'll say next to everything after Chap 1 and before. And pretty soon after every review you'll have to change 18 pages! Whilst you could have just listened to my first review and kept applying it as you grew in size. I know what you were thniking, but just post one thing. You get reviews of more quality..

Hero goes Up, up, down, up, continues leaping, up, up, down, up and away! But he's not flying, just leaping.

O.o I used spell check.

13 Reviews

Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:23 pm
Vampiress says...

I'd also like to say Azami, having her fear? If you read the whole thing, it's not a fear but
Spoiler! :
her brother Kage dies, which changes her up.

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:46 pm
IzumiRyuichi says...

Hey Mackenzie, Its Izi here to review. I decide to only review the preface for now, but so you know-
Red- Needs editing
Blue- What I would change it to

The pale moonlight shined through the branches of the trees, glowing onto the wolves fur. It wasn't bright enough to wake them, but light enough for Purity to watch over them. A young wolf sat under a tree, awake. The pretty young wolf's name was Frost.Frost's grey eyes were glittering as she watched the wolves sleep. Another young wolf,Azami, sensed Frost up.[I would change this to awake] Azami stretched out and walked over to Frost.She[You seem to not space between sentences a lot. Try to change those] scanned Frost's white and brown coat, to see if anything was wrong.
" You don't look well." Azami said concernedly.
" I, I feel odd" Frost admitted.
" Why don't why travel up to Komori?" Azami pointing out. " She will heal you."[When you say heal, that doesn't sound quite right to me. When someone feels odd, they don't need to be healed ._.]
" Can we wait until sunrise?" Frost asked as it would seem odd leaving at nite.
Azami nodded[,] and she laid with Frost,[Not needed] until the sun raised. Then, they'd leave camp before it would be to late in day to go. Frost could tell Azami didn’t want to take her, but she knew Azami went by one simple rule: Pack comes before yourself. Frost liked this rule, you have to be devoted to your pack if you want to survive. Every wolf should follow this, but most chose not to. That’s what caused trouble between the packs of the land. Stealing from humans, tress passing, the battles, it all was just so wrong. Frost sat there and thought and thought and thought until she fell asleep under the twinkling stars and glittering moonlight.

I would just touch up a little on the story and it would be perfect. The plot and detail is good so your fine with those. So again, great job and keep up the good work
Anime <3

13 Reviews

Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:47 pm
Vampiress says...

ok, I change the heal thing!

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:49 pm
IzumiRyuichi says...

You do that! And also, could I ask you a favor? If you have the time, I need some reviews on my Romance Fantasy. I'm new to romance so I would like to see others opinion on how I did. Here's the link- topic58724.html
If you can, thanks! Keep up the good work!
Anime <3

Reviews: 3
Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:37 pm
ColdZero says...

Hey Mackenzie. I'm newish to YWS, but I thought I'd start doing some reviews so your book is my first real review on YWS.

Nice job with the story, I do like the concept of wolves. However it needs a fair bit of editing before it's something I'd class as brilliant or amazing. Things like the names of the wolves which are somewhat dull, I personally would of thought in a story about wolves they'd be given slightly more notable names like the Swiftrunner from Dragon Age Origins who has a name that is catchy and easy to remember.

Also, the way you phrase your words like "The wolf, bit Frost, pushing her to the side", which should be phrased "The wolf bit frost, pushing her to the side". You see with the comma between The wolf and bit frost it's breaking the wolf and bit frost in two where really they should be together like I wrote in blue above.

By the way, if you wouldn't mind. Could you swing by my story called The Wandering Elves. I'm in desperate need for some reviews, as it's in the harsh stages of fine tuning and others opinions always help. You can find it's link below :)
-http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/post659837.html#p659837
Cold Zero: The Sniper's term for the one shot you get at finishing the job, the final, irrevocable pull of the trigger. For some people, it is not that moment...

It is a state of mind.

13 Reviews

Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:34 am
Vampiress says...

Thank you for the review, I apprecaite it. I cannot review yours at the moment, but I will. Welcome-ish to YWS. ;)

147 Reviews

Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:03 pm
LookUpThere says...

Goddes of the sky, much better!

147 Reviews

Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:18 pm
LookUpThere says...

TheNewHero here to review! Chapter 1, by the way.

Alright, I really liked Izumi's reviewing style, so I'll fuse our two. And Master_Yoda's. :) He's my mentor.

This is what I'll be addressing, so sit down, get comfy and read:
:arrow: Nit-Picks and Grammar
:arrow: Dialogue
:arrow: Redundancy
:arrow: Focus on Characters & Character Development
:arrow: Italics

That's roguhly the order you should work on, nit-picks of course being general. TheNewHero free falls into a review...
------------

Nit Picks:
There were a couple of areas where you used incorrect grammar. Punctuation poked it's ugly face in there a couple of times. But otherwise, this was well written! :D

Mistake and (What I Would Do in brackets)

~Mackenzie wrote:Chapter 1
The sun's rays shone (Not shoned, spell0check says! :) in the wolves' eyes making them glitter like the stars did at night. Azami was in front, leading the smaller wolf, Frost. Komori was Azami's little sister and Azami trusted her with all her heart. It was silent, the loudest noise they heard was their paw-steps. It was way too (To as in going to somewhere. Too as in WAY too something.) quiet for Azami, so she decided to make conversation (There should be no A in front).

(Woops! Next paragraph. It makes everything less baggy :) )

"What do you think is wrong, Frost?" Azami asked quietly.
(Woops! Skip Lines between dialogue! :) )
" Oh, Nothing big. Just not feeling well." Frost admitted.
" Okay (Always Okay, not OK), that's good." Azami paused. " We absolutely do not need a wolf of our pack dying."

The short conversation was pretty much over now. (One sentence is one idea. Thus do not mix these two sentences of different ideas by putting a comma) Azami looked ahead, and seeing (You wrote 'seen' a lot. It is 'Seeing'. Seen is like the past participle of saw or something. Seeing is to see something) her sister Komori, sitting on the edge of the rocks were she lived (Yeah? You said Azami looked up, and, seeing her sister on the rocks where she lived. There should be something after this. What did she do Seeing her sister on the rock where she lived?).

The sun's bright rays that gave off light were shining down on Komori, letting Frost know she was there (I would describe this a tad more. The smells, the sounds of the lapsing ocean and stuff like that.) . Azami began running to her sister, with Frost following behind. Soon enough, their large paws hit the rocks, and Komori greeted with a friendly hello.
"Hello Azami." She paused.
" What seems to be the problem, you only come here if some one is .." Komori, seeing the other wolf, Frost, stopped her question (Or alternatively. Komori saw the other wolf, Frost, and stopper her question.)
"Could you please look at her, she doesn’t feel well." Azami pointed out the obvious.
" Sure." Komori said bringing the brown and white she-wolf with her.

Frost was scared, she had told Azami it wasn't anything big, but what if it was? She trusted Komori, she knew Komori wouldn't hurt her. Frost answered all of Komori's questions truthfully to make sure she got the correct answers, she was scared to know what was wrong. Komori looked up with a face that you could read meant she was confused.

"Honestly, I don't know what is wrong," Komori said putting her head down in shame, she'd never failed before.
"That's okay," Azami said, knowing Komori tried her best, but she still wanted to know what was wrong with Frost.

I hope nothing is seriously wrong, Frost thought with blurry vision. It was getting worse, she just didn't tell Azami. She had enough on her hands and didn't need to deal with Frost's sickness. Frost hopped it was just today she wasn't feeling well, because if not she had a good chance of death which wouldn't be good for the group of wolves she lived amongst.
Azami was the dominate female, she could leave the camp whenever she pleased. She padded over to Blizzard, the dominate male, who was watching over the camp while Azami was out.

"Sorry, I was out with frost." Azami said apologizing to Blizzard.
"It's okay," Blizzard replied. Then ( I got confused here. After reading on, I thought Azami was running off. Clarity. Peace. Love. Spread it. turning to Frost, "Why don't you go guarding?"
"Yes ,Blizzard," Frost (Clarity. Peace. Love. Spread it. :) ) replied.

Frost padded off, alone. Wind blew in her face bringing snow along, getting in the way of her sight as she ran quickly to guard. A familiar voice rang in her ears. "Wait up!" Kafel shouted loudly so Frost would hear him nice and clear.
"Guarding?" Frost asked. Why did she ask that?)
"Yes. Blizzard said there is a wolf in our territory, but not any pack wolf."
" Really?" Frost said(You changed tense hear. You changed to present instead of past. That broke the sentence). Kafel nodded and ran to her side. Crunch, Crunch. (I wouldn't use onomatopoeia, which is stuff like BOOM! WOOSH! here.) Frost and Kafel's heads (They have different heads) jerked. A big, black wolf was standing behind them with an angry stare. Frost tried to run but Kafel kept her still. Don't move, Kafel thought. The black wolf approached them quickly not giving Frost and Kafel much time to think. Kafel lowered his muzzle and snarled at the wolf. They became a tangling, deadly fight.The wolf bit his shoulder, but Kafel snarled and lashed at his shoulder. The wolf snarled and bit deeper into his shoulder. (So is that the tangling fight? Bighting. I know it's realistic, but sometimes you've gotta sacrifice that for sequence) Kafel whimpered. Frost jumped up, helping Kafel (How? :shock: They don't have thumbs do they? But maybe I'm just a wolf ignorant homo spaien). Scratching the wolf, leaving a deep and bloody wound. The wolf, bit Frost, pushing her to the side. The larger wolf was winning. The wolf tore at Kafel's flank then clawed his muzzle. Kafel fell back and the wolf raced away. (Ah, much better fight. But still, you did say They became a...)

"Oh my!" Okami gasped.
"Let's get him back to camp." Azami said.

"No" Kafel said barely breathing.
"You'll be okay." Okami reassured him, curling up by his side. "I'll be back," Azami said padding out of camp.
Frost's illness was making her unsteady

Azami was worried. Kafel had gotten attacked by Kage, her brother. She padded over to were Kage stayed. She sniffed the air, he was there. Azami waited for her brother come out. It wouldn't be long until Kage darted out of his den, sniffing the air, recognizing the scent.
"A-a-zami?" Kage stuttered.
"Hello Kage." Azami replied.
"Why were you on my pack territory? And why did you attack Kafel?"
"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow down. I did NOT (We'll discuss this in italics)attack Kafel! He saw me and darted onto my back."
Azami felt Kage was lying and demanded to know the truth "Is this true?"
"I swear. I was padding, minding my own business when he attacked. So, I fought back." Kage paused. " Would I lie?"
"No," Azami said to her brother.
"What did you want anyway?"
"I wanted to take part in a wolf pack. I knew you'd accept you brother." Kage said.
"Ok then. Follow me" Azami said leading her brother to her pack of wolves.

Kage and Azami arrived at their pack. Kafel, Frost, Okami, and Blizzard looked at the strange wolf. Kage was nothing like Azami, and the pack could already tell. Azami's expression let her pack know everything was okay. Okami walked over to Azami. "Who is that?" Okami whispered in Azami's ear.
"I'm getting to that." Azami said. " Pack, This is my brother Kage." Kafel recognized the wolf's fur and scent. He snarled at him in the same order he had before, when Kafel had attacked Kage. Traitor, Kafel thought.
" Now, now. You've all heard and seen Kafel got into a fight with this wolf. I am not taking sides, but Kage's story is likely. He will be a member of the pack. No ifs,ands, or buts about it." Azami said.
"Thank you so much, Azami." Kage said.
"So, were do we sleep? Who gives us orders?"
"Blizzard and I give orders. You sleep outside or in large dens." Azami said.
"Never thought my little sister would be giving me orders," Kage said. Azami snarled. He better watch it, Azami thought to herself. She was tired, so she rested her body on the long, cold rocks. She hoped Blizzard would watch over the pack while she rested.
Okami circled back and forth waiting for Azami to awake. Okami's paw-steps were getting louder and louder on the thin rock. Moments later, Azami's head peered up (This is funny, because it should Azami peered up. Azami control her head, yes?). She looked around, then yawned, and spoke up.
"Yes, Okami?" Azami asked.
"We are low on fresh kill. I- I wanted to make sure it was okay to leave camp and who to take with, and Blizzard said I should wake you up now. So, I figured I'd ask you while I was here." Okami replied.
"That's fine. You may go alone, or take Kage. He is an excellent hunter." Azami told her.
"I'll go get him, now. Bye Azami!" Okami said.

Azami walked over to Blizzard. Seeing he was sitting on a rock watching over his territory, Azami sat next to him. The cold snow fell on their heads, but they continued watching in case something happened to their camp. The sun's rays made Azami's eyes glitter (You like glittering eyes, don't you? How's this - :smt004 ). Blizzard looked over at Azami.

"Is your brother adjusting to pack-life okay?"
"Yes. He is with Okami, hunting now." Azami replied kindly.
"Watching is boring." Blizzard said.
"What are you watching?" Frost asked as she came up to Azami and Blizzard.
"Watching our camp." Azami answered before Blizzard could.
"Then I agree, it bor-" Frost said getting cut off.

Blizzard darted down. Over to the entrance of the territory, barking like a dog at a cat. He snarled at a (It should be 'a' because we have not met this wolf before. Get it?) lone wolf. Waiting for him to back off, but he didn't (Bad sentence make-up. [color=#40FFFF]He waited for him to back off. But he didn't is better)[/color]. Quickly, Azami showed (Did what? Change to appeared.) up behind Blizzard snarling.
"You'd better go, things could get ugly." Azami barked.
"I'd like to see a girl, hurt me." The wolf growled.
"You have no idea what Azami is capable of." Blizzard chuckled.

The white wolf jumped onto Blizzard but Azami knocked him down and pinned him with her sharp claws. Azami laughed and yelled, "Get!" very loudly scaring the wolf off. Blizzard laughed as did Frost Sounds a tad better constructed). Moments later, Kage and Okami showed up.
"We ran here as fast as we possibly could" Kage said. "What happened?"
"Nothing." Blizzard said seeing the large prey the had brought back. Before digging into their fat, juicy, deer they checked the unusually quiet camp. They scanned the dens cautiously, and carefully in (Space) case something was wrong. Kage sniffed the fresh winter air (No commas) but everything was the same, and how it should be, but then another (Leave out pack's. Because in the next sentence, you say Axel. I don't think the whole pack smell like Axel) scent filled the air were Kage was standing. It smelt like Axel, leader of another pack.

"Wolves of my pack, as you know, we need to talk with the other packs. I've decided we needed to set up a talk with them, it shall be in just a few days. There will be 6 wolves there, 2 from each pack." Azami said

It was sunrise and Azami was not up, she was quite worn (Not wore) out from yesterday, her body was stretched out on long, cold, black rock. Blizzard let her sleep, while he looked after the camp. The sun's warm rays kept them warm, but not to warm to melt the snow (really unnesacary. More in redundancy). All the wolves of the pack hoped today would be less dramatic than it was the previous day but with their luck, it probably wouldn't. It was still early, so Blizzard let his pack rest or roam freely.

"Morning Blizzard" Azami greeted him half awake.
"I'm going down to the river."
"Mm okay" He replied. Azami padded down to the river, she was thirsty. Good thing a bit a ice was melted to provide water for her dry mouth. Unexpectedly, she saw Kage sitting there. She pretended like she didn't see him, she wasn't ready to have a conversation this early. She washed her muzzle in the melted ice. She drank a bit and headed (You don't go to go and. You just go, get it?) back to camp. Azami decided she could use some alone time so she stayed out. Thank God (Mark of respect to spell God with a capital. Regardless of religon. Wouldn't it be better if it was Thank Purity? Just a question) for having Alpha Male and Beta wolf, she thought.

Azami ran in the open field, wind blowing through her fur. She wasn't on anyone's territory, she was safe and free. I hope no one sees me, Azami thought. If someone had seen her, she’d have been dead. The whole land would have been talking about how the alpha female was running in the field, playing around. Axel would make a big ordeal and then he’d have a good excuse for attacking (Which would be?). Azami’s pack had always been nice to his pack, and in return they got various attacks. That still would not stop them (We discussed pronouns previously, right?) pack from living in that land. Her pack had lived there since the ancient wolves, always have and always will. Nothing Axel could do would make her pack leave, She thought. (Here, I would end off maybe with her freedom. Forget the last part)

Azami was trotting along on her way back to camp. She was thinking of things she needed to do before she reached camp, so it wouldn’t look like she forgot (What did she forget? How long has it been?), even though she did. Cool winter air blew in her brown fur, making her feel so free. But before she knew it, she was(Change of tense. You said before she knew it. Meaning Past Tense she would meaning seomthing not past tense :) ) be back to being in charge and doing nothing exciting.

Alright, review of the review part nit-picks?
Basically, punctuate, space come after commas.
:arrow: Pronouns are there to help you. He, she. Write something and then say, 'old on. Could I 'ave said he instead of Blizzard?
:arrow: No space between quates. " Heya." is wrong. It should be "Heya." Without a space.

And that's it for nit-picks. Very well written otherwise. NewHero lands in the review lake after free falling.
------------
Dialogue:

Now, you're story was mad eup of a significant amount of dialogue. Most of which was good and some of which cliche. Just apply this rule next time, "Why is he saying this? For coolness or because it's important?"

My main propblem with your dialogue is you forgot about context, reading between the lines. You do not always have to add "Jack said, Tom pointed out, Mary-Sue exclaimed, TheNewHero asked." Especially when it is between two people. But even in a group of five thousand. If it is - John asked, "Yo Jim, are you coming tonight?"
"I am, thanks!"

You don't need to tell us that it as Jim replying, unless half of the crowd is JIm as well. But still. I don't have to quote much because you'll find it wherever you wrote dialogue. Just remember, if Azami says, "Are you okay?", it's going to be concerndly. If not, then you can write so.

Otherwise, I loved it.

-------------
Redundancy:

This was where your story died. Kill every redundant part you see and you'll get when spanking story!

Redundancy means to repeat things in a different manner or to write more than necessary. It's basically writing too much as well. It's basically like when you say he did this then decided not to without stating a reason. It's basically like, Jim went home. No, he'd stay just a bit longer. That's wrong. Redundancy is like...

Readers don't like beings pushed around or reading through stuff for nothing.

~Mackenzie wrote:Komori was Azami's little sister and Azami trusted her with all her heart.

At this stage, we don't need to know about this. You go on in the next sentence completely ignoring Komori, then add her later on. While we calm down later on when we meet her, we wonder why did she tell us about this Komori? I feel so... used. Like a baby being spoon fed. I'd have found out about Komori eventually.

Get it?

Read through your story and ask, was that necessary. Here are some pieces of redundancy, I may not have killed everything because I myself am a redundant person.

~Mackenzie wrote:Azami felt Kage was lying and demanded to know the truth " Is this true?"

If I lie to you, I won't admit to lieing when you ask if I was lying. Unless it's like a game. But anyway. This was redundant.

~Mackenzie wrote:Frost was scared ... she was scared to know what was wrong.

Repetitiveness is the spinach of Redundancy. It's redundancy's morning pills. It makes it better. (See, redundancy in action? See even that is! You know all this from the first line!)

~Mackenzie wrote:" Oh, Nothing big. Just not feeling well." Frost admitted. " Ok, thats good." Azami paused. " We absolutely do not need a wolf of our pack dying."

Please state if there is sarcasm there. I don't know where this fit so I added it to redundancy.

~Mackenzie wrote:The sun's warm rays kept them warm, but not to warm to melt the snow.
Stuff like this is redundant and unimportant. "The sun's rays kept them warm." Would be redundant too. YOu could have just written, "The sun shone." We all realize that the snow isn't weak and if maybe earlier on you indicated it was the dead of winter, we'd understand that spring's got a long way to come for the snow to melt.

~Mackenzie wrote:Frost's illness was making her unsteady

THIS:

~Mackenzie wrote: Unexpectedly, she seen Kage sitting there. She pretended like she didn't see him, she wasn't ready to have a conversation this early.

is The BIGGEST piece of redundancy in your story. She saw him but she didn't care. So what? I imagined there were tons of other wolves drinking. You didn't need to write this.

THIS:

~Mackenzie wrote:She drank a bit and went to head back to camp. Azami decided she could use some alone time so she stayed out.

Is equally unnecessary and redundant. Kill it, shoot it, maim it, hope that it dies devil be damned!

TheNewHero swims in review lake
--------------

CHARACTERS (THEIR DEVELOPMENT):

Now, as I will mention later on, and technically already have, assuming you are remembering thi... okay just listen. From your story so far, I'm feeling that this is just like... a journal about what happened to them. Thus I don't get angry at redundant things like, Blizzard just beat up a wolf.
"We got here as soon as we can. What happened?"
"Nothing." And he just scared off another wolf.

But, if this were a proper novel, like a story not a journal, then I'd really have something to write about.

Assuming this is meant to be a story (which I don't think it is):
:arrow: Who is your main character? Frost or Azami?
:arrow: You introduced Okami without introducing him. He just showed up and suddenly played such a large role.
:arrow: Kage- you rushed him into your group. Azami just made a decision without Blizzard's consultation (By the way there was something redundant there. She said his story was likely, he just said he was minding his own business when Okami attacked. I don't think Okami would do that. If you don't awnt that to be redundant, explain to us what Okami is like.
:arrow: This is a pack of wolves. You should really make sure we know what they are like.

Also, if you want a better concentration on character development, I would recommend writing in First-Person. Then you just worry about Azami.

Hero jumps out of review lake and walks through review forest.
------------

Italics:

I don't know if you knew this, but YWS allows you to give special formatting, just like MS Word. All you have to do is highlight a sentence and press the i, b or u over at the top bar. An viola. It uses code to do this so this should appear: Surrounding your words.

Itlics help with emphasizing things. There were a couple of places where they'd have really helped.

Goes into review lodge.
--------------

And that's it for my review! Well done! My send off:

I think you jumped from characters a bit and put in a few unnecessary scenes. If you want to make that seem right, add at the beginning that This is the tale of a family. They're life and troubles. Because your story is not building up much at Chapter 1, but oddly this doesn't bother me! It feels very much that this is like a journal, you could actually make it one so that you can write from your main characters different views.

Good luck, when do we get more Purity? I got hyped about her and she died. Well done. :smt003

TheNewHero drives away in his pick-up truck that has a bumper sticker reading "Review Over."

-----------------------

:elephant: :elephant:

Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.
— Captain James T. Kirk