z

Young Writers Society



Broken Suburban Glass

by snowberry23


As she screams
“You’re heartless-a monster”
“And I am a liar, but I can admit it”
“What about you?”
He can’t hear her
Because he’s screaming to

“You never cared at all”
“I should have known back then”
“That you’d do this to us especially our kid”
They continue shouting, but don’t feel a thing
As I take every punch, holding on for the end

I’m crying, I’m trying, and dying
Hearing the two of you breaking
Our house of glass, way to fragile
To be struck by your heartless words
But don’t worry, I’ll be just fine
Sitting here behind breaking glass

In the end you got what you wanted
You broke the unity
But at the price of shattering me

While we all could see this coming
In these suburban ways
Look perfect while breaking inside
And while they broke one another
I had nowhere to hide behind
Broken suburban glass


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
103 Reviews


Points: 284
Reviews: 103

Donate
Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:24 pm
TinyDancer wrote a review...



Wow, great volatile emotion here- I do agree with whoever it was up there that said it needed more sensory elements. I didn't feel locked out necessarily, just left in want of more detail. Great words and expression. There were a few minor grammatical and spelling mistakes, but those are easily fixed. Just brush up on those and maybe add some more embellishment. You've got a great piece in the works here- keep it up!


~Jess




User avatar
56 Reviews


Points: 2630
Reviews: 56

Donate
Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:21 am
cammie wrote a review...



Hey there. I liked this poem. It was deep, emotional, and captivating. Nice job. I like how you tell what the people are saying without writing, "they said". Instead you wrote "shouts of" or something like. I can't say I fully understood the meaning of it, but I'm guessing someone was in a car crash and someone else was mad? Or a divorce? But anyway.

Because he’s screaming #FF0000 ">to
(I think you mean too)


OK, that's really all I could find wrong with this. NIve job and keep writing!
-Cammie




User avatar
111 Reviews


Points: 3354
Reviews: 111

Donate
Mon May 02, 2011 3:42 pm
Kwantack wrote a review...



As she screams
“You’re heartless-a monster” #8000BF ">If these are all one person talking, you don't need end quotes until the last part.
“And I am a liar, but I can admit it” #8000BF ">Punctuation here.
“What about you?”
He can’t hear her
Because he’s screaming to #8000BF ">Toom and put a period here.

“You never cared at all” #8000BF ">Again, get rid of these quotes until they're done talking.
“I should have known back then” #8000BF ">Add punctuation.
“That you’d do this to us especially our kid” #8000BF ">Same as above.
They continue shouting, but don’t feel a thing
As I take every punch, holding on for the end #8000BF ">Period.

I’m crying, I’m trying, and dying #8000BF ">This is a good line.
Hearing the two of you breaking
Our house of glass, way to fragile
To be struck by your heartless words
But don’t worry, I’ll be just fine
Sitting here behind breaking glass

In the end you got what you wanted#8000BF ">Semicolin?
You broke the unity
But at the price of shattering me #8000BF ">Period.

While we all could see this coming
In these suburban ways #8000BF ">These two lines need a verb or something to sound grammatically correct.
Look perfect while breaking inside
And while they broke one another #8000BF ">I don't know where the sentences end or start.
I had nowhere to hide behind
Broken suburban glass


Basically, all you really need is to clean this up a little with punctuation and fix some grammar spots. You used interesting words to keep it alive and moving. At the end I got really confused, so try and figure that out a little. You had a great idea with this but need to do a couple drafts maybe. Keep working on it, and keep writing!




User avatar
150 Reviews


Points: 13173
Reviews: 150

Donate
Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:54 pm
perdido wrote a review...



I disagree with housecat's assertion that you have to wrap all the quotation in a single quotes. I read it as three separate statements that are not necessarily spoken by the same person. So... i'd keep it the way it is. IMHO.

I don't know, I thought it lacked interesting details. I wanted more and it wasn't there so I got sorta bored. I understand it's about sort of this domestic situation, I get it, parents fighting or something, but I wanted MORE DETAIL. Sensory information... I'd like to get INTO the poem, but here i felt locked out.

Best,




User avatar
54 Reviews


Points: 2531
Reviews: 54

Donate
Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:30 pm
housecat wrote a review...



So I'm assuming that this is possibly about your parents fighting, or abusing you. I like the way it was worded, but there are a couple errors.

snowberry23 wrote:As she screams
“You’re heartless--a monster
And I am a liar, but I can admit it.
What about you?” You only need to put quotation marks at the beginning of her speech, and at the very end. They don't need to be on every stanza.
He can’t hear her
Because he’s screaming too

“You never cared at all! Since he's screaming, I think this would be better with an explanation mark.
“I should have known back then
That you’d do this to us, especially our kid.
They continue shouting, but don’t feel a thing. I don't exactly understand this. Are they ignoring each others words? Are they carelessly hurting each other? Try to give us a hint.
As I take every punch, holding on for the end.

I’m crying, I’m trying, and dying
Hearing the two of you breaking
Our house of glass, way too fragile
To be struck by your heartless words.
But don’t worry, I’ll be just fine
Sitting here behind breaking glass Could you possibly make this past tense? Or in other words, " The broken glass". it would sound better.

In the end you got what you wanted
You broke the unity
But at the price of shattering me I just wanted to say that this stanza is absolutely fabulous.

While we all could see this coming
In these suburban ways,
Look perfect while breaking inside
And while they broke one another
I had nowhere to hide behind
Broken suburban glass


Overall, I really liked it! I can defiantly feel some of the emotions, and thats an aspect of good poetry. I hope you continue writing! (:





Some call me a legacy, others call me a hero. But I assure you, dear admirers, I am only human.
— Persistence