And the Light Fades (chapter 2 part 1)

by peanut19

The green paint of the walls acts like a mirror. It bounces the light onto me, forbidding me to stay in the darkness. The white of the canopy bed is transparent and sparkles. The only thing in this room that is not pale in color or white is the black dress that hangs from wooden foot board. It does not sparkle in the sunlight nor does it shine transparent.

It does, however, hold the painful memories in the gray swirls that cover it. I can still smell the smoke everywhere I go. Every time I look at Sophia the fire flashes on the pale pink of the healing burn, that scars her cheek and arms.

I look at myself in the mirror that hangs on the opposite wall, across from my bed. My eyes are rimmed in ruby with spider webs on the whites. I couldn’t sleep; my dreams were too terrible. I know I was only in my house for a short period of time and didn’t see half of what Sophia saw; but I think that’s made it worse. In sleep my subconscious can imagine what happened because I am deprived of what actually took place.

I pull back my dark, strawberry hair, arranging it carefully the way my mother used to for special occasions. It spirals on the back of my head in ringlets held with bobby pins. My bangs are curls that frame my face.

I undress slowly, procrastinating. I pull the dress up, the black and gray of the fabric clinging gracefully on my body. I turn around as a knock sounds at the door.

“Ten minutes, Alyce,” Sophia says peeking in through the crack she’s made in the door. She is dressed in black also, her red hair flowing over her shoulders. Beaver pushes her nose into the door, pushing it back farther to come in.

“Okay,” I mumble and nod. I look away from her. I can feel my blue eyes swimming with tears; I rub my eyes to rid myself of them. My makeup smears; black trails from my eyes fall down. The door creaks closed and Sophia disappears.

I stand up and walk to the mirror. My fingers, wet with tears, scrub to erase the mascara and eyeliner. When I am done my eyes are red and my face is pale; the freckles on my cheeks sprinkled across my nose. I want to put more makeup on to fix the shadows around my eyes but I my hand doesn’t want to move. I am pure; there is no makeup for me to hide behind. I will not wear a mask today.

I slide my feet into the black flats that Sophia let me borrow and walk to the door. The tiny heels on my shoes clack on the hardwood. The back of the shoes slide up and down against my heel, the ridges pushing and pulling against the leathery inside.

“Alyce, you look beautiful,” Aunt Jessa breathes as I walk through the kitchen door. It’s still strange to see her instead of my mother. Sophia is sitting next to Uncle Collin at the table; a book is in front of Uncle Collin’s face as usual. I cringe as his spoon scrapes the side of his cereal bowl. “Do you want something to eat, sweetie?” she asks me.

I shake my head, hoping my stomach doesn’t growl too loudly. I turn around and push Beaver out of my way. I need some air; the aspect of a family right now doesn’t sit well.

When I step outside, into the wind, my dress dances around me. The leaves swirl, brushing my arms and legs when they fly back to the ground. I brush them away when they lodge themselves into my hair. The pins are starting to slip, but the rings just fall around my face like tongues of fire. The sun bounces through the trees hitting the leaves, then ping-ponging through the woods. The birds are quiet today, maybe they know something bad’s going to happen or maybe they are just cold. My fingers are turning red with cold and my nose runs. But I don’t pay attention; I walk the perimeter of the woods that surround Sophia’s house. It reminds me so much of my house I want to scream, but I need to remember.

On the other side of the hollow is my house. It is miles away by car but far less by foot because you can go down into the valley like patch of forest and back up instead of going around. I think about climbing down into to hollow, but know that there will be time to do that, now is not the time.

I should at least pay my respects to my mother; she did care, even if her disease told her otherwise. She loved me before the symptoms arose. We were happy, even when Dad was still home, we where a family. Not like Aunt Jessa and Uncle Collin but we were us. I shake off the thoughts. I don’t want to think about what happened to Dad or about Mom comparing herself to her younger sister and her family.

I study the leaves. As they fall images of the other night with Sophia come back to me. I remember what she said as I looked at the falling stars above our head. I wonder if Mom’s a star now, forever living above us. Maybe that’s Heaven, or what we can see of it. The sky is where we go after we die. It would make sense, if you believed in that kind of thing. The times I’ve been to church are few, but now I want to believe that after everything Mom when through on Earth she is a better place, like in the stars, watching over me.

A leaf cracks, I swivel around and come to a stop in front of Sophia. Beaver follows her almost on her heels.

“I followed you,” Sophia says, I didn’t even have to ask. Beaver leaves her purring as she nuzzles my bare legs, her warmth sending goose bumps up my cold leg. I don’t say anything to her.

“Is she in the sky?” I ask. The vagueness of the question takes Sophia by surprise and she looks at me confused.

“Who, Aunt Suzie?” She wonders, unsure that I’m talking about Mom. I nod hoping she’ll make the connection to the conversation we had two days ago. “You mean is she in Heaven? Yes, probably.” She doesn’t sound positive when she says probably, an unsure answer anyway.

“Is she in the stars; is she a star?” I say specifying my question. I look at the leaves and then at the cat who is pouncing on a small pile near the base of a tree to the right of Sophia. I don’t look at her.

“I don’t know,” Sophia says she is afraid she is going to hurt me. I can tell by her voice it is soft and calm. But no one can hurt me, not anymore.

“Forget it, just go back.” I tell her. She shakes her head, but doesn’t argue. The cat doesn’t follow as she walks through the thin line of trees that separate us from the front yard.

Your mother is waiting for you; you are no different. It seems like the wind is whispering in my ear. The voice sounds familiar, but I don’t know who it is. My hair flies around my head and a shiver crawls from the base of my spine upward. I pull my arms around myself and try to shake it off. It’s just the cold, I tell myself as I set off to the house. Beaver runs ahead leaving me to myself. I watch as she sprints on her four little legs to the house and hops up the steps while I follow suit. She sits at the door until I’m there to open it, meowing and complaining because I wasn’t fast enough for her. I laugh at her and try to get rid of the feeling of dread that has wrapped around me like an icy blanket.

Tue May 10, 2011 10:23 am
Demeter wrote a review...

Hi, Sarah!

You posted on my wall days ago asking if I would review the second chapter of your story, and here I am! Sorry it took so long.

I couldn’t sleep; my dreams were too terrible. I know I was only in my house for a short period of time and didn’t see half of what Sophia saw; but I think that’s made it worse. In sleep my subconscious can imagine what happened because I am deprived of what actually took place.

With the both parts of the first chapter as my source, I dare say that you use quite a lot of semi-colons. Granted, it's fun to show you can use them, if you really can, but it's not good if you use them that much they start to stand out. In the first sentence of this part I quoted, you use the semi-colon correctly. Therefore, it can stay – or could stay if you hadn't already used it a lot. A useful thing to remember is that you can often put a dash (–) in a place where you're going to use a semi-colon. Many dashes aren't as "irritating" to the eye as many semi-colons.

The second semi-colon of this part should not be a semi-colon at all. Not only because there's already one in the previous sentence, but also because you have the word "but" after it. If you're going to have "but", you have to replace the semi-colon with a comma. I would advise doing that anyway, since we want to do away with the excess of semi-colons.

I pull back my dark, strawberry hair, arranging it carefully the way my mother used to for special occasions

How is dark hair "strawberry"? I've been told that my real hair colour is "strawberry blonde", but I've never heard the expression related to dark hair. If you want to emphasize the reddish shade of the dark hair, you can say "reddish dark", "red-brown", etc.

I undress slowly, procrastinating.

This is kind of like a double negative. You don't necessarily need both "slowly" and "procrastinating", unless you necessarily want to emphasize the pace.

She is dressed in black also, her red hair flowing over her shoulders.

I believe "also" should be "too" in this case.

When I am done my eyes are red and my face is pale; the freckles on my cheeks sprinkled across my nose.

Put a comma after "done" and replace the wretched semi-colon with a comma! :D

I want to put more makeup on to fix the shadows around my eyes but I my hand doesn’t want to move.

There's an extra "I" there. Also, put a comma after "eyes" -- the usual rule is that when a sentence has two clauses, they're separated with a comma. Compare these two:

(1) Bob greeted Priscilla, and she smiled at him.

(2) Bob greeted Priscilla and smiled at her.

The sentence (1) has a comma, because "Bob greeted Priscilla" and "She smiled at him" are both main clauses. The sentence (2) does not have a comma, because while "Bob greeted Priscilla" is a main clause, "smiled at her" is not, because it lacks a subject.

Sophia is sitting next to Uncle Collin at the table; a book is in front of Uncle Collin’s face as usual.

You can replace "Uncles Collin's" with "his". Also, try to figure out what you could do to the semi-colon.

The pins are starting to slip, but the rings just fall around my face like tongues of fire.

I assume "rings" refer to her hair? In that case, you probably want to say "ringlets".

We were happy, even when Dad was still home, we where a family.

"were" :)

The times I’ve been to church are few, but now I want to believe that after everything Mom when through on Earth she is in a better place, like in the stars, watching over me.

"when" --> "went"?

“I followed you,” Sophia says, I didn’t even have to ask.

You don't need the last part. We know she didn't have to ask.

“Who, Aunt Suzie?” She wonders, unsure that I’m talking about Mom.

Uncapitalise "she" and scratch the "unsure that I'm…" part. The question alone shows us she's unsure. Also, "wonders" seems like a funny speech tag – maybe have just "says" or "asks"?

“I don’t know,” Sophia says(comma) [s]she is[/s[ afraid she is going to hurt me.

I'm sorry I mostly did nit-picks. I don't really have any problems with this, apart from the occasional grammar slips. And when I preach about the semi-colons – don't get me wrong, I don't mean to say that SEMI-COLONS ARE BAD or that you should never ever use them at all. It's a sign of a experienced writer if s/he can use a semi-colon, but it's a sign of an unexperienced writer if s/he uses them too much. You should never have "too much" of anything, unless in the cases where the excessive repetition is only meant for a special effect and is maybe an important plot device in some way. Try to limit the semi-colons to one semi-colon per chapter/part, and replace the other ones with another punctuation mark. Maybe you can start using dashes more, and before you'll notice, you'll automatically be typing fewer semi-colons.

Of the story itself, I realise that these are only the first chapters, but so far I have to say that nothing particularly interesting has happened. Fine, the fire in the first chapter did, but it felt quite hasty and it was over before I even realised it had started. There's nothing wrong about having little to no action, but usually the readers need something to keep them going. However, I quite like your descriptions and your overall style of writing is calm and easy on the eyes.

I will get to part two as soon as possible. :)

Demeter
x

Shearwater wrote a review...

Hi Peanut! I'm back for more. ^.^

Alrighty, once again your writing is great. I love the descriptions and yadda, yadda.
I hate repeating this all the time but I for some reason have this thing where I have to say it. lol

So I actually don't have many nitpicks with this but there are few things I like to ask about this in general.

he loved me before the symptoms arose. We were happy, even when Dad was still home, we where a family. Not like Aunt Jessa and Uncle Collin but we were us.

When I first read the novel I actually thought that Alyce hated her mom. I thought that their relationship with each other wasn't very steady but when I read this, it made me think that they actually cared a lot about each other. I know the timing is like that in which you'd think about your family and all the positive things but I wish you could say a little more about the relationship between them. I think I want to know more about them so I feel connected. Right now, they're just mother and daughter with mixed feelings.

I want to put more makeup on to fix the shadows around my eyes but I my hand doesn’t want to move. I am pure; there is no makeup for me to hide behind. I will not wear a mask today.

I'm curious as to what she means by mask. Is there something that she's hiding? Something that she knows or is it deeper?

As much as I love your descriptions, there are parts where you describe the simplest actions in such a way where I get annoyed and feel like, okay move on. That's probably just me however. I like fast paced novels but yours is doing well at holding my attention. ^.^

Another thing I actually really like about this, or the thing that's actually really pulling me deeper into the novel is this wind element you have and the whispers that Alyce hears. I wonder if that is someone she knows, if it's her mom or if it's someone else. If it's some sort of guardian or something. I'm sorry if I'm digging so deep into this. xD

Overall, it's another great chapter. I actually can't wait to figure out what's really going on.
Let me know if you have any other questions about this chapter. I'll be off to read the next one right now! :3

-Pink

StellaThomas wrote a review...

[OMG it saved my review from when my browser closed! Google Chrome, I love you.]

Sarah! This one isn't collected as part of a novel, I had to dig in your portfolio for it! OH THE HARDSHIP.

(I'm sorry, all I seem to be doing in these pre-review paragraphs is complaining at you for technical issues that really don't matter. I'm such a lovely person).

I. NITPICKS

black dress that hangs from the pole that holds the bed together.

Do you mean, like, the crossbar? This was puzzling.

I pull the dress up, the black and gray of the dress clinging gracefully on my body.

Repetition of dress is a little awkward.

too, or change the position of the also? It's a little forced the way it is.

I will not where a mask today.

Where? Wear ;)

scraps the side of his cereal bowl.

scrapes.

The times I%u2019ve been to church are small

are small?

A leave cracks, I swivel around and come to a stop in front of Sophia. Beaver follows her almost on her heels.

leaf.

II. OVERALL

I don't have much wrong with this one. It's a nice little scene and much more polished than the last one. Except for a question- why did they all move to her house? Why wouldn't she just go stay with them? I don't know, that seemed a little odd. The pace is much better here- I'm just hoping that the scene holds relevance to the plot. By itself it's fine but obviously everything needs to be seen as part of the bigger picture. But honestly, I love it.

Hope I helped, drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella x

Powerful men have a way of avoiding consequences.
— Dr. Harrison Wells, The Flash