The Adventures of Rose Hood Chapter 34: To talk to Sin

by keeperofgaming

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

“Dead?”

“Yes, even detect life wasn’t working.”

“How long was I like that?”

“For three hours.”

“Three?”

“Yes, we were going to have a burial, but then your brother came in and his daughter noticed that you were still technically alive.”

“That’s good.”

“Jalad, Mammon, could you leave the room for a second?”

Elren came in with Thalia and Alice. Royce asked,

“Should we leave too?”

“No, you two should stay.”

Jalad gave us an odd look before leaving with Mammon.

Elren looked around to make sure no one was in the room.

“Silence.”

The room went silent.

“So, what was that?”

“What do you mean?”

“What do you think I mean? You worried me into thinking you were dead, but you were off doing whatever, so what were you doing?”

“The Sin of Wrath called all of the Shards into a meeting.”

That was clearly not what he expected me to say.

“What?”

“As I said, the Sin of Wrath summoned all of us into a meeting.”

“What was it about?”

“Is it okay for Alice to be here?”

“She figured out your nature shortly after meeting you.”

“I see.”

“What was it about, Rose?”

“Apparently, they noticed me absorbing Sloth.”

“YOU DID WHAT?!”

I flattened my ears.

“Right, I didn’t tell you about that, yet.”

“Elren, she did tell me and Royce.”

“I see, but why were they concerned about that?”

“Apparently, I am the core lie Innocence, and the sins wanted a sin to be the core of the Evil God, but since I started it, I was basically on trial, and Sloth was my attorney.”

“Core lie?”

Royce spoke up,

“I guess you wouldn’t know, the demon king Zath explained it to me. Basically, the evil God is split into 10 shards. 7 of those are the 7 deadly sins that we know of, and the remaining 3 are called the core lies. Innocence, Peace, and Benevolence.”

“Those don’t seem evil.”

“We are supposed to mark deception. If us three lies were the first to merge, I could make the entire world support me, but then adding the sins, if one were a core, would cause the world to collapse and feel betrayal.”

“But why do the sins insist on being a core?”

“Because the Core Lies act as our names would suggest. I am innocent to a lot of things and despite knowing about certain concepts I will miss hints to it. Peace is a diplomatic person who cares for lives and wants people to prosper. Benevolence is a kind person who wants everyone to live happily and creates smiles wherever she goes.”

“They sound wonderful.”

Then Elren’s smile soured.

“So, you three are the precursor to the true evil of the evil god.”

“Yes.”

“How did the meeting go?”

“I asked Wrath why she was wanting revenge, I stood up for myself, then she threatened to force merge me into her.”

“That sounds a little serious to be said like that.”

“Eh, I’m sure I gained the support of some of the other shards.”

Thalia looked at me oddly.

“Would we be able to speak to Sloth?”

“I think so, why?”

“I want to know if we can trust her.”

“Okay, I’ll ask her.”

‘Sloth, what do you think.’

‘GHHHHHHH Fine.’

‘Okay... how do I give you control.’

‘Just relax and go faint, I can only take control when you are unfocused, but you can still take over at any time after you refocus.’

‘Okay, mellowing out...’

_

Rose suddenly started lounging in the bed.

“Yo, you wanted to talk.”

Royce looked confused, but Thalia realized.

“Are you Sloth?”

“Nn.”

“Do you have any intention of destroying the world.”

“Eh, too much work. While I would like revenge like the other sins, it’s too much work to destroy the world. Just slaying the other gods would be what I would call okay.”

“So, you aren’t against it because it’s bad, but because it’s too much work.”

Sloth snorted,

“Hey, ya want morals, then talk to one of the lies. Though, all of them are annoying. The only tolerable one is Innocence. She at least lets me sleep. The others, ‘Oh, we need to feed the poor children,’ or, ‘Oh, we need to stop the brutal war.’ Like just let me sleep. I don’t care who dies as long as I get a nap.”

We all looked at her in shock, we understood that it was another entity in her body, but hearing those vile words coming from Rose’s mouth was still disconcerting.

“What? Oh, you assumed that because Rose took some of my attributes, I took some of hers? Remember, she is called a lie. It’s because she is based in pure deception, so pure that even she believes the lie that makes up her being.”

This revelation shocked us, the idea that Rose was deceptive to a level that tricked even her was something that we hadn’t even considered.

“Oh, don’t get me wrong. Innocent is innocent, Peace is peaceful, and Benevolence is benevolent, but it’s less of a pure hearted hero and more of a fake it ‘til ya make it. Sorry to burst your bubble, but while we can utilize the lies, they can only silence the sins. Another reason none of the others likes the idea of a Core Lie being our core.”

“So, why does Wrath want to be the core.”

“Because Wrath is an egotistical *****.”

“Why are you supporting Rose, if you don’t like the lies?”

“Because Rose is the only one of us brave enough to stand up to Wrath.”

“What?”

“She didn’t tell you, but when Wrath threatened her life, she said, ‘try me’. It was epic, Wrath’s furious face as the meeting ended was awesome.”

“She threatened a shard of the evil god...”

“Yup.”

“Does she have a death wish?”

“I don’t think so, I think it’s more, she wants to be the core, so we won’t kill anyone innocent. Heck, she even told Wrath that she could be the core as long as she promises not to hurt any innocents.”

“At least she has her morals, well Sloth... Sloth?”

Sloth was asleep. Then she straightened and looked more focused and active.

“Was that good?”

“Rose?”

“Yep.”

“That was... disturbing.”

“You don’t know how I felt, it was like a giant slug was crawling all over my body.”

Then she was silent for a moment.

“Apparently, she took that as a compliment. I still need to take a bath.”

She shivered before getting up and leaving. Ignoring the guildmembers who asked if she was okay.

“I guess bringing her out caused Rose a lot of discomfort.”

“We should only ask her to bring one out in cases of emergency from now on.”

“Agreed.”

RavenAkuma wrote a review...

Hello Again, My Friend!

It's me, Raven, and I'd like to review the next chapter in this great story using my Familiar method! Let's dive in, shall we? Heh heh heh...

What The Black Eyes See...

Well, that was another neat chapter to elaborate on the shards' goals, the effects they can have on Rose, and how Rose's companions are taking to the recent developments! Let's get into the details though.

Where The Dagger Points...

I didn't find anything to put here this time! Good writing job ~

Why The Grin Widened...

Alright, so firstly...

There was just something super eerie about them talking about a burial for Rose, knowing she was still alive. That's like a lot of the horror scenarios in Gothic literature, and though it was a small -and very understandable- detail, I liked that. I can't help wondering if a less informed teammate who may encounter Rose in this state would actually try to follow through...Oou, creepy ~

(Raven, get a hold of yourself, it's not a horror story XD)

I thought the dialogue between Rose, Elren, and the others was a good way of reflecting on how they feel about this whole situation, with them clearly being most concerned for Rose. But for example, whereas Royce remains calm and tries harder to understand the situation, Elren seems more irritated and desperate to put a stop to any further development. I like the individual characterization.

The only tolerable one is Innocence. She at least lets me sleep. The others, ‘Oh, we need to feed the poor children,’ or, ‘Oh, we need to stop the brutal war.’ Like just let me sleep. I don’t care who dies as long as I get a nap.”

Sloth may be evil, but she makes me laugh, haha. But still, the substance of her words...

It’s because she is based in pure deception, so pure that even she believes the lie that makes up her being.”

This is an awesome line and revelation ~ A lie so strong that even its source has fallen for it? Sooooo cool!! Man, with each new revelation that comes from these shards, I just find myself more and more excited! They really are fascinating antagonists! Speaking of which...

Interesting, I would have thought Pride would be the egotistical one desperate to take control. But that's not a complaint; I like this as it shows more characterization for the individual shards than just their namesake. Just as with Rose, the traits that do reflect her shard are subtle yet a prominent aspect of her character (if that makes sense lol).

Our Mad Thoughts...

Overall, loved that chapter, nicely done! :D

Thanks for the review. I'm glad you enjoyed.

Hello there, human! I'm reviewing using the YWS S'more Method today!

Shalt we commence with the spooky S’more?

Top Graham Cracker - Rose lets Sloth take over her body, the others listen intently, only to find out that Sloth supports Rose because she doesn’t want to do too much work, and that Rose’s good actions are all based on deception.

Slightly Burnt Marshmallow - I think that you may have meant to put in a question mark when Thalia asks how to let Sloth have the reigns, but that’s just one little thing.

Chocolate Bar - The revelation of Rose tricking even herself was certainly something I wasn’t expecting, but in a good way. Since she’s a Lie, it makes me think that maybe she isn’t as genuine as all believe, and that leads me to wonder what she’ll do next…

Closing Graham Cracker - A chapter that makes me look at Rose’s actions throughout the story in a new light, I enjoyed reading this. I’ll be sure to check out the next chapter, when Rose and Sloth talk to each other.

I wish you a lovely day/night! :>

Thank you for the review.

u can't have villains exist just 2 b villains
— ShadowVyper