z

Young Writers Society


16+ Violence

The Adventures of Rose Hood Chapter 19: The Mythic Threat

by keeperofgaming


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

I headed back to the guild to pick up a few requests and there I saw someone who made me feel immediate fear from his presence alone.

“What are you doing here, Climond?”

Mammon walked out of the office and walked over to the terrifying man.

“Mammon, I heard that Saliad was killed in a tournament. I wanted to meet the one who did it.”

“That’s no reason for you to release your aura in my guild hall.”

“Sorry, I just wanted to spook whoever it is.”

“Succeeded there.”

They turned and saw me.

“You killed Saliad?”

“Yep.”

“Hah, the idiot was killed by a catkin of all things? I knew he was too weak to be put in S class.”

“Saliad was definitely strong. I am just stronger.”

Climond released his aura directly aiming at me. It was strong enough that even Mammon started sweating, but my fear was gone from his blatant disrespect of someone strong.

I released mine back. It was on par with his.

He looked at me with an odd fascination.

“A hottie and a powerful fighter. Wanna join my party?”

I then noticed that he was a dragonkin. As they were close to dragons, they were feared, but they were treated as actual people, due to their closer resemblance to humans.

“No thank you.”

“Ah come on. I betcha I could treat you well.”

He glanced to my chest making me feel gross.

“I already refused.”

“Tell ya what, we duel. I win, you join. You win, I leave you alone.”

“I’m not an idiot. An S rank challenging a B rank is lunacy.”

“Not when said B rank is responsible for another S ranks death.”

As expected, he was intelligent as well as strong.

“Fair, but I still declined so move off.”

The adventurers around me looked at me as though I’d lost my mind. Few even talked back to an S rank, and I was telling him to mess off.

“Fun, then how about som-”

“I said no. Now if you’ll excuse me, I came to get some requests solved.”

“What if I hel-”

“Don’t need it.”

He was getting ticked off.

“Listen here, girl. I made a wonderful offer; you should be thankful.”

“And yet I’m not. How odd.”

He struck at me. Foolish move. I caught his blade with my bare hand. He released powerful magic, and I matched it not even looking at him.

I started laughing.

“You were making fun of Saliad, but the only thing you have is an aura that scares those it catches off guard.”

The Dragonkin started sweating as I showed absolute superiority.

“So, you going to leave, or should I add a second S rank to my list.”

Climond glared at me before leaving in a huff.

“Girly?”

I looked at Mammon.

“Ye have a massive backbone.”

He started giggling at his own lame pun as I rolled my eyes and got a dungeon subjugation request, along with requests for materials that I’d find inside.

“Hey, Rose.”

“Yes?”

“I got a few new adventurers going to that dungeon to train. Could you go with them?”

“Sure.”

“Thanks.”

_

“You seem a bit smaller than I imagined.”

A couple humans were waiting outside the gate for me.

“My name is Rose, what about you four?”

“Daniel, this is my sister Clara.”

“I’m Monty and that’s Gabe.”

We set out on foot as the dungeon isn’t far.

“I heard you took on a dragon.”

“Yep.”

“Cool, why are you helping low ranks like us?”

“Also going to dungeon.”

“Why?”

“Requests, besides haven’t been with guild for long.”

“I see.”

We moved on and all of the sudden I sensed something.

“Stop.”

“What?”

They understood my senses were better than theirs. They froze and a massive Whilder emerged from the woods.

“What are you doing so far from the enchanted woods?”

“A-a-a WHILDERBEAST!”

They started panicking and the Whilder attacked me as it knew my nature. I held it back with my strength.

“Run!”

They began fleeing as the Whilder tried to throw me. A mythic beast was pushing against me. Usually, a Whilder was only a legendary, but this one was a mythic. It managed to throw me due to my small stature and I slammed into a tree next to the fleeing humans.

At that moment, another mythic Whilder blocked their exit.

“Get behind me!”

We were surrounded. I knew of only one way for all of us to get out alive, but they may attack me afterwards.

“Can you keep a secret?”

“Why are you asking us now?”

“Just tell me.”

“Ok. Fine we’ll keep whatever secret you’re going to tell us, just help us.”

They all nodded, then the contract was made. I would protect them here in return for them hiding my identity.

I looked at the Whilders and smiled, then I roared and shifted back to my true form.

“D-D-D-D-DRAGON?!”

“SHE’S A DRAGON?!”

I bashed the head of one of the Whilders as the other tackled me, I roared and breathed arcane, causing one of them to cringe back.

I stood over the party and roared at the Whilders who struck at me with full strength.

I bit one of their throats and used it to block the other before crushing it and throwing the corpse.

The other roared in anger and used summoning magic to summon an army of Whildorcs, the followers of the Whilders.

“Run now!”

I yelled at the party who took off. As the Whildorcs grappled me, I turned my scales into flames. I burned the orcs and charged the Whilder, who I grappled and clawed. It was double my size, so it tried to throw me.

I latched on and began tearing into its belly, causing it to roar in outrage.

It grappled with me and threw me against a tree causing it to shatter. I roared and suddenly felt a presence. I dodged and a crater opened up where I just was.

“Crap.”

“Ha ha ha! Very rare for a beast to dodge my attack.”

It was a human with so much magic radiating off of him that I would’ve assumed him one of my kin if I didn’t know better.

“Beast? Please, at least aid me against the Whilder before you try to claim my head.”

“Dragons can talk? Incredible. I shall aid you.”

“Thanks.”

The fighter struck the Whilder with immense strength, and the beast yelped before slamming him into a rock.

I backed him up by leaping and slashing at the Whilder, causing it to back up.

The man leapt onto my back as I twisted and he, using my momentum, launched at the Whilder, slashing its throat.

It roared again and made one last attempt to bite down on me, but I took the opportunity and ripped its throat out.

It made one last cry before bleeding out and falling. As it fell, me and the warrior regrouped.

“Hey, dragon, you don’t seem as bad as the legends say.”

“Dragons aren’t as ferocious as you think. Most of us are rather friendly if you treat us right.”

“Well, the name’s Asura. S rank adventurer, what’s yours?”

“That would be a secret for now, but perhaps we can spar if we meet again.”

“Fun! Well, have a wonderful day!”

“Thank you.”

I flew off to find my party. When I finally found them, hiding in a field, they screamed at the sight of me.

I then transformed into a catkin again.

“Y-y-y-y-you are a d-d-d-d-d-dragon?”

Clara was standing in front of the group with her bow aimed at me.

“Why are you aiming at me?”

“Dragon!”

“Yes, and I saved your ungrateful behinds. We still need to conquer that dungeon so come on.”

The arrow broke on my hand.

“Come on now. I’ll forget your attempted assassination.”

They clamored after me frightened.

_

“Ogres. Why are there so many ogres.”

“SCREW THE OGRES THERE’S A BASILISK!”

“I THOUGHT THIS WAS A LOW-LEVEL DUNGEON!”

“WE’RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!”

“WILL YOU ALL SHUT UP?!”

That last one was me. I had already killed the ogres and basilisk.

They stopped and looked around in shock before screaming again, but this time looking at me.

“AAH, WE TICKED HER OFF, SHE’S GONNA EAT US!”

I facepalmed and simply walked off.

“If you guys want to cower then cower, but I’m beating the dungeon and I’ll tell Mammon you just hid the whole time screaming.”

“You are evil!”

“You are cowards.”

I moved to the new room, and I saw the boss.

It was Callel.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
980 Reviews


Points: 148
Reviews: 980

Donate
Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:50 pm
View Likes
vampricone6783 wrote a review...



Hello there, human! I'm reviewing using the YWS S'more Method today!

Shalt we commence with the review?

Top Graham Cracker - Rose trains a group of adventurers, even though they are afraid of her and don’t trust her, she ends up protecting them and letting them live another day. ^v^

Slightly Burnt Marshmallow - This is fine, I like this chapter.

Chocolate Bar - I love how Rose is annoyed at the adventurers for being scared of her, even though she actually saved all of their lives. They should really be grateful for her and not judge.

Closing Graham Cracker - Overall, a lovely chapter that shows how Rose is a true and brave adventurer, even as her enemies grow. She’s determined to do what is right, which is admirable.

I wish you an amazing day/night! :>




User avatar
235 Reviews


Points: 41092
Reviews: 235

Donate
Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:25 pm
View Likes
RavenAkuma wrote a review...



Hello Again, My Friend!

It's me, Raven, and I'd like to review the next chapter in this great story using my Familiar method! Let's dive in, shall we? Heh heh heh...

What The Black Eyes See...

Ah, this just jumped to candidacy for my favorite chapter!! This had it all; an ominous new challenger, a new mage, new adventurers, new species (and more familiar ones too!), and moments of hilarity, gritty fighting, and Rose just being a bada**!! Let's get into the details though.

Where The Dagger Points...

No complaints from me, this chapter was awesome!!

Why The Grin Widened...

Okay, beware, there will be a lot I want to cram into this section, haha.

Right from the very beginning of the chapter, my interest was piqued by the arrival of a new challenger, and it drew me in immediately.

I headed back to the guild to pick up a few requests and there I saw someone who made me feel immediate fear from his presence alone.


Fear isn't the most common reaction from Rose, even when approaching a rough battle, so the fact that someone's aura actually intimidated her really spoke to his rank. But of course, as the exchange between him and Rose goes on, there's a trait of arrogance -even pointed out by Rose- that plants doubt in his abilities. So there's already plenty of interest in what he'll be capable of, and if he will, in fact, be as strong as his aura makes him out to be.

I loved Rose's blunt, sarcastic comebacks. They fit her tone and characters so well and make me laugh. And of course, Mammon...

“Ye have a massive backbone.”


Also awesome, I like Mammon a lot. I'd put him up there with Rose and Dallel as candidates for my favorite character (I couldn't pick just one by now haha).

The introduction of Dragonkin and Whildorcs caught my eye as I read, and moving on to the dungeon, I was very surprised by the return of the whilderbeast creatures -and in an even stronger form. I love it when books like this use variations of familiar creatures, so it was very nice, especially with so many other new elements being introduced. Great balance ~

Your details of the fight itself were awesome, I loved the moves you described so much!!

I bit one of their throats and used it to block the other before crushing it and throwing the corpse.


The man leapt onto my back as I twisted and he, using my momentum, launched at the Whilder, slashing its throat.


Nice! On that note, I'm curious if Asura will make a return or not, but his help sure added an extra bit of "oomph" to the fight. I also liked that he was willing to communicate reasonably with Rose, it shows wisdom on his behalf. Unlike the adventurers...

“AAH, WE TICKED HER OFF, SHE’S GONNA EAT US!”


Honestly, their reactions as they got through the dungeon -not to mention Rose's responses and having to deal with literally everything on her own- just had me continuously laughing to myself. But it also showed more of the common view of dragons by the humanoids in this region. And finally, that cliffhanger...

It was Callel.


Freaking CALLEL?! The cocky sorcerer that got eaten in Chapter 2?! Dang, he must be some sorcerer to have survived that, now I definitely want to know what he's doing here, haha.

Our Mad Thoughts...

Overall, loved everything in this chapter, very nicely done! :D

Image






Thanks for the review. I always love seeing your reviews.




If food is poetry, is not poetry also food?
— Joyce Carol Oates