z

Young Writers Society



Pain

by fireheartedkaratepup


The wording is awkward, the line spacing is..... it needs work, and I'm having trouble fixing it.

Fire away.
-------

How can you not see the pain?
For me, it's obvious as the rain
That pounds on the roof, on the house, on the door
For me, pain is so often more
Obvious than the beating rain.
So tell me, why can't you see the pain?

Why does it seem so hard to tell
When a girl is teetering on the edge?
You see, depression's like a long, dark well
And when circumstances push her out on that ledge
It only takes one tiny nudge
One cross word, one dirty look, one little perceived wrong
To send her down, down, tumbling along
That dark, friendless path, where no light appears--
And you wonder you teasing
Has moved her to tears?

It's not just the teasing,
There's so, so much more
That worries her, frightens her, causes her grief.
So just remember that, before
You open your mouth to speak;
Hold your tongue, listen well and I'm sure you'll see then
This girl may come to regard you
As her dearest of friends.
--------

This poem is not as long as the reviews I've been writing. O.o


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
297 Reviews


Points: 2218
Reviews: 297

Donate
Sun May 29, 2011 4:32 pm
Justagirl wrote a review...



One cross #8040BF ">(I took out an "s" here), one dirty look, one little perceived wrong

And you wonder you#8040BF ">r teasing
#8040BF ">Aaaaw, poor girl.
That worries her, frightens her, #8040BF ">(Added a break here)
Causes her grief.


Wow, this is interesting.

The whole first stanza is kind of moot. I don't think you need to elaborate that much on pain.
The rest of it is really great though. I like it a lot and apart from a few errors (and that first stanza) it's awesome.
I loved this, the last stanzas were great and that last line was perfect.
Wonderful job! :D

Keep writing,
Alzora




User avatar
254 Reviews


Points: 67823
Reviews: 254

Donate
Sun May 29, 2011 11:04 am
ehte92 wrote a review...



Puffy Wuffy. :3 <3

Nitpicks:

animekaratepup wrote:How can you not see the pain?
For me, it's obvious as the rain
That pounds on the roof, on the house, on the door
For me, pain is so often more
Obvious than the beating rain.
So tell me, why can't you see the pain?


The starting was really good. Kind of makes the reader want to read more. But there in the third line the repetitions do not work for me. And what’s the difference between the roof of the house and the house itself? Just asking! XD Add an “and: between on the house and on the door. Remove the comma there. In the second last line you use the word obvious again and as I said repetitions in such small intervals are not good. And what do you mean by “often more obvious”? :/ You better edit this.

animekaratepup wrote:Why does it seem so hard for you to tell
When a girl is teetering on the edge?
You see, depression's like a long, dark well
And when circumstances push her out on that ledge
It only takes one tiny nudge
One crosss, one dirty look, one little perceived wrong
To send her down, down, tumbling along
That dark, friendless path, where no light appears
And you wonder you teasing
Has moved her to tears?


When describing a well it is better to use deep than using long because you see wells go vertically down into the earth so it is better to describe them as deep and if you sat long then it seems that it a horizontal well stretching on the ground level. So just change the long with deep. Again, so many repetitions! >.< it is “cross” not crosss, there are only two s in cross. Friendless path, eh? Doesn’t sound right to me. Use something other than that. It will be: “you wonder your teasing”.

animekaratepup wrote:It's not just the teasing,
There's so, so much more
That worries her, frightens her, causes her grief.
So just remember that before
You open your mouth to speak;
Hold your tongue, listen well and I'm sure you'll see then
This girl may come to regard you
As her dearest of friends.


Use only one so there in the second line. One so is enough. And in the third line use “and” after frightens her and causes her grief. Replace the comma with the and. And in the third last line change the position of “then”, it may sound better. Let it be like this: Hold your tongue, listen well and then I’m sure you’ll see.


I hope my review helps. If you have any queries just let me know.
Keep writing. (:




User avatar
3821 Reviews


Points: 3891
Reviews: 3821

Donate
Sat May 07, 2011 11:39 pm
Snoink wrote a review...



XD

This poem is not as long as the reviews I've been writing. O.o


This made my day. :D

Anyway! Your poem! What I noticed was that you would use similes to express the pain, but you didn't really go into depth into them, which really made me sad! For instance, you used rain and wells, both which have been used for MILLENNIA as symbolism in very important things! For example, rain is thought to be something that makes the infertile fertile again (land cultivation), a sign of impending destructive forces (starts of floods, torrents, storms, hurricanes), heaven's tears from the gods (a bunch of different cultures!) and so on and so forth.

Wells, on the other hand, is a very common biblical imagery. So, several of the patriarchs in Genesis met their wives near the wells and Jesus had a big scene in John (John 4:1-42) which is supposed to bring forth the imagery of the sinner being Israel and thus his meeting of the woman by the well is supposed to relate to a messianic prophecy in Isaiah (Isaiah 54:6-10, 55:4). And, wells were also used to throw Joseph down (think: Genesis Joseph) which is kind of similar to what you have. So, if this sort of stuff tickles your fancy, you'll definitely want to use this to your advantage here! Also, if you don't care about this sort of stuff, wells are also very very crucial in other cultures as well. I was reading a Chinese story that dealt with a woman who, rather than be disowned and killed by a mob because she carried an illegitimate child, after she gave birth, she threw her baby and then herself in a well and died. This was seen as the worst thing ever you could do because you effectively ruined the people's water through vengeance. It was not a happy story! So, wells are a very deep subject, lol, so definitely delve into it a lot more in your poem!

As far as your last stanza... this may just be me, but it seemed a little preachy. I don't know. Maybe you can tweak it a bit and see if it works! :)




User avatar
47 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 47

Donate
Sat May 07, 2011 9:10 pm
XxjustmeXx wrote a review...



So I see the grammar things already been done a couple times now. I hope you don't mind but, since I'm not that great at it, I think I'll just skip it. Anyways, I really liked this. I can deffinitely relate. Some parts sounded a bit akward. Maybe you could read over and see if you could just reword some things? I don't know, that's just what I'd do. It also sounded like you were just kind of telling us this, not really showing and making us feel it. Maybe you could try and put more emotion into it....It's your poem so it's your choice. Hope I helped, even if it wasn't much. Great job and good luck on future writes.




User avatar
51 Reviews


Points: 2427
Reviews: 51

Donate
Wed May 04, 2011 9:35 pm
View Likes
Fortissimo wrote a review...



SInce you've been so kind as to guide me on my journey of reviewing, I figured I would try my hand at reviewing one of the master's (you) poems.

animekaratepup said:

How can you not see the pain?
For me, it's obvious as the rain #FF0000 "> it's as obvious as the rain, comma
That pounds on the roof, on the house, on the door #FF0000 ">repetition is a bit odd, wait... it works(:
Obvious than the beating rain. [color=#FF0000 ]more obvious? or worse than the beating rain.

So tell me, why can't you see the pain?

Why does it seem so hard for you to tell #FF0000 ">comma,
When a girl is teetering on the edge? #FF0000 ">teeter, what an odd word (sorry, off topic!)
You see, depression's like a long, dark well #FF0000 ">comma,
And when circumstances push her out on that ledge
It only takes one tiny nudge #FF0000 ">period.
One crosss, one dirty look, one little perceived wrong #FF0000 ">repetition once again. it adds emphasis, so it can stay.
To send her down, down, tumbling along #FF0000 ">period.
That dark, friendless path, where no light appears
And you wonder you teasing
Has moved her to tears?

It's not just the teasing,
There's so, so much more #FF0000 ">Again with the repetition.
That worries her, frightens her, causes her grief.
So just remember that before
You open your mouth to speak;
Hold your tongue, listen well and I'm sure you'll see then
This girl may come to regard you
As her dearest of friends #FF0000 ">period.


You are like the repetition queen, and I am now the master speller at the word repetition! The flow was really good, and I like how you broke up the stanzas. It all works. There isn't a lot of punctuation, so the few run on phrases need to be fixed with colons, semi colons, periods, question marks, etc. Besides punctuation and a little grammar, I don't see anything wrong with it.

I think you expressed your feelings really well in this, and it shows. The more personal it seems, the better. If it's like a computer randomly typing words that "fit" together, it's a bad poem. I don't see that at all. Your personality is expressed. (Even though I don't know you that well!) Very nice, A+

~Fortiiiii(:




User avatar
232 Reviews


Points: 14289
Reviews: 232

Donate
Tue May 03, 2011 7:02 am
MiRaCLeS wrote a review...



Actually the wording isn't that awkward.

Except for the first stanza, the wording it a tiny bit awkward it kind of corrupts the flow. Also you used the word pain and rain twice. Seemed a tiny bit repetitive to me. I would change the last two lines of the stanza into something else.

The rhyming pattern changes throughout the poem, which made it a bit confusing. I don't know how to fix it though, I'm no good at rhyme.

Other than the grammatical part of the poem, the story the poem told was brilliant :).




User avatar
126 Reviews


Points: 3420
Reviews: 126

Donate
Mon May 02, 2011 9:17 pm
View Likes
Mickixoxo wrote a review...



How can you not see the pain?
For me, it's #FF0080 ">as obvious as the rain
That pounds on the #FF0080 ">roof, on the house, on the door
For me, pain is so often more
Obvious than the beating rain.
So tell me, why can't you see the pain?

Why does it seem so hard for you to be able to tell #FF0080 ">I think you should change it to "so hard for you to tell"
When a girl is teetering on the edge?
You see, depression's like a long, dark well
And when circumstances push her out on that ledge
It only takes one tiny nudge
One #FF0080 ">cross, one dirty look, one little perceived wrong
To send her down, down, tumbling along
That dark, friendless path, where no light appears
And you wonder #FF0080 ">if your teasing
Has moved her to tears?

#FF0080 ">The change in the rhyming pattern on the first stanza to the second stanza seems kind of awkward to read. Because of the rhyming pattern in the first stanza, I expected something to rhyme with "tell" at the end of the second line (in the second stanza) but it didn't. It was just kind of awkward to read.

It's not just the teasing.
There's so, so much more #FF0080 ">I think the repetition of "so" adds an awkward syllable amount to this line
That worries her, frightens her, causes her grief.
So just remember that before
You, when in teasing, open your mouth to speak.
Hold your tongue, listen well, and I'm sure you'll see then
This girl may come to regard you
As her dearest of friends. #FF0080 ">I think you need an additional syllable somewhere in the last line, it feels too short


I like it :) but if it were me, I think the third stanza would have gone like this:

It's not just the teasing,
There's so much more
That worries her, frightens her, causes her grief.
So just remember that before
You open your mouth to speak;
Hold your tongue, listen well and I'm sure you'll see then
This girl may come to regard you
As her truly dearest of friends.


It just seems to flow better that way.
But that's just me xP
So keep it up! It's really good :)




User avatar
109 Reviews


Points: 6829
Reviews: 109

Donate
Mon May 02, 2011 7:19 pm
AdoxagraphyAngelus wrote a review...



How can you not see the pain?
For me, it's obvious as the rain
That pounds on the #FF0000 ">roog #FF0000 ">Roof, on the house, on the door,
For me, pain is so often more
Obvious than the beating rain.
So tell me, why can't you see the pain?

Why does it seem so hard for you to be able to tell
When a girl is teetering on the edge?
You see, depression's like a long, dark well #FF0000 ">Comma
And when circumstances push her out on that ledge
It only takes one tiny nudge
One crosss, one dirty look, one little perceived wrong
To send her down, down, tumbling along
That dark, friendless path, where no light appears
And you wonder you teasing #FF0000 ">And you wonder you teasing? I think you meant your teasing.
Has moved her to tears?

It's not just the teasing.
There's so, so much more
That worries her, frightens her, causes her grief.
So just remember that before
You, when in teasing, open your mouth to speak. #FF0000 ">Comma instead of period.
Hold your tongue, listen well, and I'm sure you'll see then
This girl may come to regard you
As her dearest of friends.





Chickens are honestly little dinosaurs. And they know it.
— ChieRynn