The Haiku's Predicament

by emilia9ludenberg

There rides the haiku,

in her carriage so refined-

for short distances.

CapybarasAndCoffee wrote a review...

This haiku is well-written and follows the traditional 5-7-5 syllable pattern. You used a metaphor of a carriage to describe the haiku as a form of poetry that is elegant but concise. The haiku also has a sense of humor and irony, as it implies that the haiku is not suitable for longer or more complex topics. The haiku is simple but effective and captures the essence of the genre.

Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:50 am
Ley wrote a review...

Hello! Ley here <3

Firstly, let me just say this is the first piece I've read from you and it's simplistic yet is a play on words. I saw nothing wrong with this poem, except the punctuation! This is just a suggestion, but you could either:

De-capitalize the letter 't' in the word 'there' in the first line or capitalize all of the other first words in the other two lines.

Overall, I loved this haiku, and I can't wait to read more of your work! Happy writing!

With Love,
Leya

Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:06 pm
Rose wrote a review...

Greetings Poet!

Beyond my beloved horizon, I'm setting sail into uncharted pages with an itch for adventure. Through binoculars, I spy with my little eye an intriguing haiku titled “The Haiku's Predicament” that deserves a good review. So without further ado, let’s begin.

Very first of all, I must say that I quite enjoyed reading this haiku of yours. I never really knew that there was such a thing like a haiku, until I joined YWS.
Your haiku poem appears to be about the nature of a haiku poem itself. You humorously portray the limitations of a haiku poem, which consists of three lines with a specific syllable pattern.

Your poem follows the traditional haiku structure with three lines, adhering to the 5-7-5 syllable pattern. The poem described the haiku as being "in her carriage so refined" for short distances, highlighting how haikus are extremely short and are only focused on a single moment or feeling in a very brief manner

The poem uses metaphor to personify the haiku as a rider in a refined carriage. This metaphorical imagery emphasises the elegance of a haiku despite its brevity.

There's a touch of humor in the poem, particularly in the phrase "for short distances." This humor arises from the irony that haikus are indeed very short and they capture moments or images within a small amount of words.

Everything in all and all in everything, you've written a lovely haiku that can be a bit difficult to understand until you've read it so many times to actually start memorise it. Keep on doing what you do and good luck with your future writing projects!

With writer’s love,
Rose

Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:17 am
OrabellaAvenue wrote a review...

Hiya! This is Orabella here to leave you a short review!

This is by far the shortest work I've ever read. Which is to be expected because, well, it's a haiku. To be honest, I don't understand haikus very much, as well as poetry in general. I feel like the writer knows more about it than I can even begin to understand, so be warned that I don't know what I'm talking about.

So, let me know if I got this wrong, but this haiku is about a haiku metaphorically. The "short distances" refers to how short this kind of poem is. The carriage is so important that it's described as refined, which is often how I think of haikus.

Could you tell me the meaning behind this? I think I'm not quite getting it.

Although I do not understand most poetry, I love it, and this piece is no exception. Please keep writing!

Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:48 pm
AkuRashomon wrote a review...

Haya! This is loveissourgrapes and I am here to comment/review about your poem. I love that it is short, clever and sweet. The description of this poem is also good. I also noticed that you were the one who wrote the Incorrect Ballad. I love that! I love this poem too. I mean of course, it's about chickens. hehehehe

There rides the haiku,

in her carriage so refined-

for short distances.

I love how it just strikes you right there. The tag line just hits you right there, no matter how short it is. Although, it felt odd to me. Maybe you should continue to write more stanzas. Over all, this was great but needs to add more stanzas to it. Keep it up! Have a wonderful day/night!

Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:51 am
Liminality says...

A clever poem! I like the dash in the second line and how it abruptly cuts off the poem, only to deliver the 'punchline' which is that the "carriage" is only for short distances. It lends plenty of needed emphasis to the last line. I'm not sure where the 'Chickens' come in, but maybe you had to cut them out to fit the 5-7-5 syllable structure ;)

-Lim

Hearing these stories makes me realize that I never did anything with my childhood.
— The Internet