z

Young Writers Society


12+

Obsessed

by ellieatkinson9


I was smitten. At first, it was just glances and friendly smiles, but soon he was hugging me back and replying to my texts! At this point in time, we’ve been dating for 2 months, 4 days, and 3 hours. I am in love, love, LOVE!

I don’t think that I could live without him. I need to see him every day or I won’t be able to breathe. I have no clue how I’ve been able to live my entire life without this man. He stole my heart the first time I’d ever seen him, with his pearly white smile and captivating laugh.

I was in my first period class, daydreaming about graduating at the end of the year so I wouldn’t have to listen to boring lectures, when HE came in. Tousled brown hair that he kept pushing out of his gorgeous blue eyes, and a build like a boxer. I knew, the second that I saw him, that I HAD to have him.

It took a lot of subtle hinting and flirty texts, but soon, he was wrapped around my pinkie finger. Once that happened, I could never think of anything else but him. He consumed my thoughts, my dreams, my future! And he had asked me to meet him at his place this afternoon to TALK ABOUT OUR RELATIONSHIP!! Surely this meant that we were taking our love for each other to the next level, right?!

As soon as I arrived, I knew something was wrong. I could feel it in my gut, and the sombre expression on Jake’s face did nothing to help it. I gave him a big hug, hoping to boost his spirits, but all I got was a stiff pat on the back in return. After a few seconds of awkward silence, he cleared his throat and began to extract himself from my grip. I stared at him blankly, confused about where this was going.

“So, um, Katie…lately, I’ve been uh, feeling that there needs to be a change in this relationship,” he murmured uncertainly, as though he was scared. What a funny idea! I nodded my head despite my confusion, signalling him to continue.

“I think that we need to see other people.”

My heart skipped a beat. What?

He was joking. I struggled to remember the date, wondering whether this was an ‘April Fools’ situation. I shoved down my insecurities and put on a smile. After a second, I started to laugh. Then I laughed louder. Then I cackled.

Jake looked at me with wide eyes, apparently bewildered by my reaction. I attempted to calm myself down enough to talk to him.

“That is the most hilarious joke that I’ve ever heard from you, Jake Matthews! I don’t think I’ve ever heard you crack a joke no matter the situation,” I chuckled, reassuring myself that his confused response to me discovering his joke was just him attempting to trick me still. His wide eyes, pale skin, and huge purple eye bags pushed me to think that something was wrong with him. Maybe he didn’t get enough sleep the night before or something. Poor baby.

“I’m not joking, Katie. I’ve fallen out of love with you. To be honest, I’m not even sure I loved you in the first place,” he spat, gaining some confidence.

Shock stole the air from my lungs, leaving me breathless and terrified. Jake was my world. I couldn’t lose him. He had to be pulling my leg, because just yesterday we had a date at the movies, and he was just as loving as normal.

Suddenly, a thought hit me.

He had found another girl.

One who was prettier, smarter, kinder, and apparently more worthy of love than me.

Red hot anger surged through me, taking control. I clenched my jaw and fists, digging my nails into my palms and drawing blood.

“You met another girl, didn’t you? The second you lose sight of me; you decide to go and date other girls! You don’t love me anymore. You think I’m ugly. You think I’m boring. DON’T YOU JAKE?!” I screeched, the anger possessing me. This wasn’t the man I used to love. I lost him when he saw that other girl. Even this thought couldn’t calm me down—I was on a roll.

“Woah, calm down. I never said anything like that-”

“YOU DARE TELL ME TO CALM DOWN!” I howled, all the bottled-up emotions spilling out of me. I whipped out a self-defence pocketknife, my mind on standby. Upon seeing the metallic glint of the weapon, a horrific, abhorrent, unspeakable thought came to me. And for once, I didn’t push it down. For once, I listened to it. For once, I acted on it.

A sinister smile crept onto my face, darkening what I thought were once-pleasant features. But apparently pleasant features weren’t enough for Jake, so something had to change. And that something was a someone. And that someone was not me.

I glanced at him, noticing his horrified gaze, his laboured breathing, his rigid muscles. I felt power flow through my veins, urging me onwards. I tiptoed towards him, placing my hand on his chest tenderly, simultaneously holding the knife to his throat. I traced a heart on him with my free hand, elated by the compelling power urging me onwards.

“I wonder what would happen, if my hand slipped and slit this pretty little throat of yours,” I taunted. On the word slipped, I pressed the knife deep enough to draw a few trickles of blood.

“I wonder what would happen if I told the police that you came onto me and, being a scared young girl, I killed you in self-defence. Whoopsie! Little old me was just scared. Frightened. Intimidated.

I could feel Jake’s heart racing, and my smile widened. Then my expression turned dark, darker than I could ever imagine my face could become.

“If I can’t have you, no one should.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 364
Reviews: 6

Donate
Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:51 am
FlocculentAnorak wrote a review...



I love stories like this, but many are from the perspective of the victim. Yours is different. The narrator's thought process describes how much he loved Jake. how delusional she thinks. How sick her actions are... it's wonderful and captivating. I love how she acknowledges how sick her actions are, but acts upon them anyway since she's just so stubborn. I don't see things like this in other stories like this. It makes yours so much more great!




User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 364
Reviews: 6

Donate
Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:49 am
View Likes



I love stories like this, but many are from the perspective of the victim. Yours is different. The narrator's thought process describes how much he loved Jake. how delusional she thinks. How sick her actions are... it's wonderful and captivating. I love how she acknowledges how sick her actions are, but acts upon them anyway since she's just so stubborn. I don't see things like this in other stories like this. It makes yours so much more great!




User avatar
32 Reviews


Points: 3082
Reviews: 32

Donate
Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:03 am
View Likes
Isbah wrote a review...



This is SOOOO relatable!!

"One who was prettier, smarter, kinder, and apparently more worthy of love than me."

I'm screaming. Really. And I thought only I knew the insecurity that comes from liking someone TOO much.

"I’m not joking, Katie. I’ve fallen out of love with you. To be honest, I’m not even sure I loved you in the first place,”

You know that sudden, cold clammy feeling that seems to crush your heart? It's literally a physical feeling and you've conveyed that so well here.

"Shock stole the air from my lungs, leaving me breathless and terrified. Jake was my world. I couldn’t lose him."

I love this line.

“If I can’t have you, no one should.”

Perfect ending. The desperation, jealousy and anger at the other person; its all there. I didn't feel sorry for Jake at the end. I actually felt some kind of hate and love at the same time on the part of Katie.
And the title really drew me in. Great story!




User avatar
227 Reviews


Points: 32581
Reviews: 227

Donate
Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:40 pm
View Likes
NadyaStatham wrote a review...



Salutations, curious mind!



Amaya here, ready to dive into the pages of this intriguing story. 📚!

Buckle up, 'cause we're diving into my review magic! ✨

The Good Stuff:

First of all, let's talk about the parts that really rocked!

This was the perfect read of a great thriller, I would say.

Katie is an amazing protagonist which gives the readers chills in their bones. You captured her “psychotic” mind wonderfully and I have to say writing this story in the first person point of view makes it even better. Good job over there!

On the other hand, there is Jake. You haven’t quite revealed a lot about him which is not a bad thing because this is a short story. ^-^ The things you did reveal were actually quite the opposite of Katie, there’s said that he’s loving, and that he’s built like a boxer (which gives away that he does weight lifting or trains), but also that he’s honest and true.

I’m glad he’s being honest and telling her face to face that their relationship is not going to work instead of a text. You did an awesome job with making Jake a character your readers can sympathise with. XD

Amazing dialogues too, I must say. The thoughts in Katie’s head really bring her character alive and make it more easy for readers to relate/see who she really is. Slayed it!

To be honest, I kind of felt bad for him in the end. I thought … she was going to kill him! I’m glad it didn’t get that far (maybe an idea for a sequel?) You had me sitting on the edge of my seat there! So ku2 to you!!

Areas to Improve:✒️

The following suggestions are merely to help you improve on your writing and not to offend you in any way. Feel free to skip these suggestions, if these are not what you aim for.

Over here you mention “an April Fools situation”:
I’d suggest diving a little deeper in this, because only mentioning can be a little confusing. Maybe think about adding a little flashback?

That way the reader can actually compare that situation with what’s going on now. It doesn’t only give more insight into Jake's behaviour, but also how/ what led to him being sick of their relationship.

My heart skipped a beat. What?

He was joking. I struggled to remember the date, wondering whether this was an ‘April Fools’ situation. I shoved down my insecurities and put on a smile. After a second, I started to laugh. Then I laughed louder. Then I cackled.
Jake looked at me with wide eyes, apparently bewildered by my reaction. I attempted to calm myself down enough to talk to him.


~~~

Here, I think blood doesn’t really fit in there. I think nails digging in her palms, that’s believable, but blood already, I’m not so sure.

Red hot anger surged through me, taking control. I clenched my jaw and fists, digging my nails into my palms and drawing blood.


~~~

And here, you mentioned: “This wasn't the man I used to love”

In my eyes they are still in high school, so maybe you want to change it to guy/boy. It feels more appropriate in that situation. But that’s only in my eyes, so if you don’t want that, don’t worry about leaving it like that. ^^

“You met another girl, didn’t you? The second you lose sight of me; you decide to go and date other girls! You don’t love me anymore. You think I’m ugly. You think I’m boring. DON’T YOU JAKE?!” I screeched, the anger possessing me. This wasn’t the man I used to love. I lost him when he saw that other girl. Even this thought couldn’t calm me down—I was on a roll.


Nailed It!💐

In my opinion, your title is the absolute bomb! It summarises your story in one go and I think it is the perfect choice. Good job!

Obsessed



Overall Feelings:

This was an amazing read with great dialogues and awesome characters. Aside from making things a little realistic this is a wonderful story. From reading this piece, I’d say this can also serve as a strong prologue/first chapter/prequel for future projects, because this is a good concept. But this is only if you wish that. I understand if you want to just leave it as a short story. I have to add, you have a nice writing style. XD

Have a nice day or night further! Keep writing! You are amazing!

Amazingly yours,
Amaya Statham
– Be yourself and keep writing! 📖🎉






Thank you so much! I can see what you mean with a few of your points there and I appreciate that you took the time to think critically about my work. Much appreciated %uD83E%uDD70



NadyaStatham says...


You're Welcome! I'm glad I could help ^^



User avatar
71 Reviews


Points: 6314
Reviews: 71

Donate
Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:13 pm
View Likes
Youbeaucupid wrote a review...



Cupid's Sweetheart Spotlights


Introduction:


SWOOSH! Greetings, lovely hearts! Cupid here, armed with my bow, arrow, and a sprinkle of stardust for an enchanting adventure. Today, I'm diving into the captivating world of reviews with my very own Cupid's Sweetheart Spotlight. It's like the incredible YWS S'more Method, but with a dash of cupid's magic! Let's get flying, shall we?

Fluttering Wings - Initial Impressions:

Okay, buckle up, because this story grabbed me from the get-go and didn't let go! From the first glance to the spine-chilling revelation at the end, it's like being caught in a whirlwind of emotions. You'll feel everything from heart-pounding excitement to bone-chilling dread, all in the span of a few paragraphs. It's intense, it's gripping, and it left me breathless for more!! 🍷🍷

Arrow Adjustments - Love Crafting Suggestions:

Now, while the story's got me hooked like a fish on a line, there are a few spots where it could use a little sprinkle of magic. Now, don't get me wrong, it's already a wild ride from start to finish, but hey, there's always room for a touch more sparkle, right? So, diving even deeper into the protagonist's mind and motivations. I'm talking about peeling back the layers of their psyche like an onion. We want to understand every twist and turn, every hidden corner of their heart. Because let's face it, love and madness are like a tangled web, and the more we explore that tangled mess, the more deliciously complex the story becomes! So, let's sprinkle a bit more glitter on this already dazzling tale and watch it shine even brighter! 🌟✨

Golden Harp Strumming - Heavenly Highlights:

Now, let me tell you about the moments that truly stole my heart and whisked me away to a celestial realm. Your use of vivid imagery is so vibrant it leaps off the page and dances before your eyes. Each word is like a brushstroke on the canvas of your imagination, painting scenes so vivid I can practically feel the warmth of the sun or the chill of the night air.

But it's not just the imagery that captivates—it's the raw emotion woven into every sentence. From the tender whispers of affection to the gut-wrenching cries of despair, these moments hit me right in the feels and left me reeling. It's like being caught in a whirlwind of emotion, unable to escape the magnetic pull of the story's heart-wrenching beauty.

And then there's the pacing, oh the pacing! It's like a perfectly choreographed dance, leading you seamlessly from one moment to the next with grace and precision. There's never a dull moment, never a chance to catch your breath, as you're swept along on a journey that's equal parts exhilarating and terrifying.

So yes, while your story may be a rollercoaster ride of emotion and intrigue, it's these heavenly highlights that truly make it a tale worth savoring. They're the moments that linger in your mind long after the final page is turned, reminding you of the power of storytelling to transport us to worlds beyond our wildest dreams.

Cherished Verses - Cupid's Favorite Lines:

"He stole my heart the first time I’d ever seen him, with his pearly white smile and captivating laugh."


Why I love it: This line captures the essence of that moment when love strikes
like lightning, and oh god- Does it leave you ʚbreathlessɞ and ʚexhilarated!ɞ It's a vivid portrayal of that initial attraction that sets the stage for a whirlwind romance. 💖⚡

"I felt power flow through my veins, urging me onwards."


Why I love it: This line marks a pivotal moment in the story, where your protagonist's emotions spiral out of control, leading to a shocking and irreversible decision. It's a chilling reminder of the destructive power of unchecked emotions and the lengths one might go to in the name of love. (In the name of loveee~ Sorry I had too xD)

"If I can’t have you, no one should."


Why I love it: This line encapsulates your protagonist's descent into darkness, where love transforms into obsession and possession. It's a haunting declaration of her twisted logic, revealing the depths of her despair and the lengths she is willing to go to keep her love alive, even if it means destroying it. 💔 (I feel that lol)

Final Whispers - Closing Thoughts:

Ah, but as Geoffrey Chauncer said: "All good things must come to an end," we sadly finish the story here. As we say goodbye to this wild ride of a story, let's take a moment to appreciate the journey we've been on. Your story isn't just a story—it's an experience. It's a reminder that love is a complicated beast, capable of both breathtaking beauty and bone-chilling terror. So hold onto your hat, my lovely soul, because love's a wild ride, and we're all just along for the adventure! 🎩💕

Sending you all my love and heart-shaped arrows, Cupid! 💘






Thank you so much for the review!! It's nice to know I'm not completely delusional in liking this work of mine.




Patience is the strength of the weak, impatience is the weakness of the strong.
— Immanuel Kant, Philosopher