it changed too quickly

by chunkycrayons

I was lying in the dark alone; the silence my only comfort. I was a prisoner in my mind constantly being reminded of the mess I have caused. My watch ticked. Tick-tick-tick-tick, over and over every second lasting an eternity, every second bringing me closer to what was to become. In the shadows I can see the faint outline of my knees pushed up against my chest. The scars shining, the damage has been done. The fault was mine.

Memory; I laughed. I could laugh then, so euphoric and free. Father liked me then; I was his favourite. He’d call me over and he’d tell me about his job, and what I would do when I grow up. I was going to be as good as him. As far as he was concerned the future held nothing for my sister; she was a nomad in the strange world I grew up in, dominated by masculine populace. She was the outcast and I was the god, the one everyone valued. But it was all lies. They were wrong. They couldn’t have been so wrong.

It changed too fast. The pace was too quick for me to handle. I grew older, and father became more adamant that I work for him. I wanted to live my own dreams though. I said no. I said no and he slated me, I was no longer part of his family he said. I had to get away. There was no place for me here. My life was slowly shrinking, shrinking into a tiny cuboid with no space, I could barely breathe. I had no idea where I would go, just away, away from everyone who didn’t understand.

I couldn’t get out, there was nowhere to go. No place of solace. I had no option, there were no choices. I didn’t mean to do it. He was just there. Wrong place, wrong time. My father shouldn’t of taunted me. One minute the knife was on the kitchen work surface, the next it was in my hand. Blood. Blood was everywhere. I could taste it in the air. The knife stuck out vertically from his chest. My hands were stained, even today I still see the blood on my hands. They all came then, in their black coats. Everyone stared at me as they took me away. They jeered at me and told their friends they knew I was wrong in the head. I’m not crazy, I’m fine. They don’t understand what happened, how could they? They weren’t there, they just assumed they knew. But they didn’t, they knew nothing. They couldn’t understand that I was making things better. No one understood, no one could ever understand.

So here I am lying in the dark alone. The prison cell is taking over my life. Soon it will all be over. All that will be left of me is my memories.

Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:45 pm
chunkycrayons says...

Thanks everyone for your critiques!
Grammar is not my strong point! I'll work on it!
All your comments were extremely helpful!

Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:06 pm
pudin.junidf wrote a review...

hey chunkycrayons!
Pudin is here to review. I haven't review in a while so, I think I might be a little inexperienced but here i go.
first of all, I have to say that the story confused me a little. Your hook was pretty good, for some reason it made me want to continue reading the story. But as I read on I wasn't that interested why? Because you kept repeating things and the story became just a whole bunch of sentences stuck together with no sense of each other at all.
But after all, it was pretty decent, with some changes and proofreading, it might be better. Why proofreading? Because I found many grammar mistakes. There were places in which you placed the comma were it wasn't needed and others where you placed the comma too much.
What I really liked of your story, was how you used tasteful wording because it was really good. Your use of adjectives and adverbs, not common ones, but ones that really impressed was really good, I loved it.
Now for sentence structure. I see you wrote many little sentences and to be honest, that doesn't help at all, at least for me. Why? Because they explain nothing and most have no purpose.
Now some nitpicks

I was lying in the dark alone; the silence my only comfort.

I don't think the semicolon is needed. a comma would just do the job.

I was a prisoner in my mind constantly being reminded of the mess I have caused

This sentence is quite confusing. Partly because of the misuse of punctuation and partly because of it's very own sense. I think you should place a comma between prisoner and in. And you should also check this sentence.

My watch ticked. Tick-tick-tick-tick, over and over every second lasting an eternity, every second bringing me closer to what was to become

First of all, I'm not a fan of writing the sounds but if you want to do it, is very ok. Now I think that you should place a comma after the second over because the sentence without a comma is a run on.

Memory; I laughed. I could laugh then, so euphoric and free. Father liked me then; I was his favourite

II see you overuse semicolons and where commas are really needed. There's no need to put semicolons when comma can actually do the job. So the first word in the sentence, i think you should separate it completely, separate it from the paragraph. Then where you have the semicolon, replace that with a comma.

As far as he was concerned the future held nothing for my sister

Comma after concerned.

He was just there. Wrong place, wrong time.

This could have easily been one whole sentence. I recommend you take out the period and add some preposition you could say: He was just there, at the wrong place, in the wrong time.

My father shouldn’t of taunted me

You should put shouldn't have taunted.

They all came then, in their black coats

When you say they, I think of a bunch of people with different expressions. but when you write, you want the reader to see the expression you saw, to feel what you felt. So think of this: what were the expressions on their faces? What did I feel when they came in? What ran through my mind in that instant? Try and expand this a little more so we could get a complete picture of the scene.

So that's all I could see, but I recommend you to proofread your writings so the grammar mistakes are less once you post the work here. By the way, your paragraph structure was really good, you didn't deviate from the paragraph's main idea.
So if you had any questions just PM me.

XoXo
Pudin

Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:56 pm
Eliza:) wrote a review...

I was his favourite.

Favourite should be favorite.

They jeered at me and told their friends they knew I was wrong in the head.

This part doesn't make sense. Why would his family be making fun of them when he just killed his father?

But they didn’t, they knew nothing.

The comma should either be a semicolon or a period.

This a good story that keeps the reader interested. Good job.

Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:55 pm
chunkycrayons says...

Hey there thanks for the crit!

Yeahh I was thinking that as well!
I reckon if I re-write it then i'll add in some more character detail

Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:21 pm
Lena.Wooldridge wrote a review...

Hey!
Here's a couple funky things:

on the kitchen work surface

Why not just say "counter"?

:?: What is the gender of the MC
:?: What is the name of the MC
:?: What is the name of anyone
:arrow: This is a very interesting story (a boy who murders his father, I think), but the lack of information leaves the reader confused.
:arrow: You also need to let us get to know your character a bit more. We know the situation, but we don't know your character. :?:Were they always crazy :?: Where's the mother in all of this

PM for questions/comments
Cheers,
-Lena

Be steadfast as a tower that doth not bend its stately summit to the tempest’s shock.
— Dante Alighieri