The real meaning of love

by bobby

I walked into my apartment and sank into my sofa. My workbox dropped from my hands immediately my body touched the soft, leather chair. Though the air around me was cold due to the air-conditioner, I could feel the heat inside me and the sweat dripping from my brow. “How can it be?” I asked myself. If this condition required money, I had enough to give Uchenna, my friend. We were very close from childhood. He was like the brother I never had. We loved and cherished each other. We shared our good and bad times together. We were both successful in our various fields. I wish I had more time to prepare for this, but it came so suddenly. I wondered how I would be able to donate one of my kidneys for him.

There was pressure from every angle. My widowed mother reminded me that I was the only child and that Uchenna had six siblings. My lawyer made me realize that I was not yet married and if I died, my wealth would be scattered for any vulture to come and take his pound of flesh from. My fiancé wailed that she would kill herself if I died in the process. These added to my confusion. Suddenly, my thoughts drifted; I thought about myself and how I would feel if my friend died when I could have helped him stay alive. I thought about what God would want me to do in this kind of situation. I remembered the good times we both had together. I knew I could not afford to lose him. I decided to do what I thought was right in God’s sight for my friend. I shoved off my fears and went to the theatre three days later.

The operation was successful. I am now married with kids and so is Uchenna. We are still the best of friends. I still try to think about what would have happened if I had not helped him. From that experience, I realized that only perfect love could have made me make such a sacrifice for him. 1st John 4:18 remains my watchword until today; “Real love drives away all fears”

Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:20 pm
Lena.Wooldridge wrote a review...

Um, okay, I really don't understand this at all. It lacks plot.

This is a basic summery of the plot you have:

"This guy who has no family gets sick and has to have an operation. He loves his best friend who has a girls name. The operation is successful and he gets married. So does the metro best friend."

Btw, Uchenna is officially the worst guys name I've ever seen... **

Alright, so you could make something of this. Instead of going through it so quickly, let us know the characters more. Let us figure out why Uchenna and the MC are such good friends. Suck the emotion out of the story and spit it out at the reader. That's how you make something plain like this into a good story.

Hope I helped. PM for questions/comments
Cheers,
Lena

Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:30 pm
tRiCk wrote a review...

Hello, tRiCk here.
Great story and thanks for sharing it. There was only one thing I would have changed.

bobby wrote:I walked into my apartment and sank into my sofa. My workbox dropped from my hands #FF0000 "> the momentmy body touched the soft, leather chair. Though the air around me was cold due to the air-conditioner, I could feel the heat inside me and the sweat dripping from my brow. “How can it be?” I asked myself. If this condition required money, I had enough to give Uchenna, my friend. We were very close from childhood. He was like the brother I never had. We loved and cherished each other. We shared our good and bad times together. We were both successful in our various fields. I wish I had more time to prepare for this, but it came so suddenly. I wondered how I would be able to donate one of my kidneys for him.

Otherwise, it brilliantly wrote. ;)

Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:17 pm
Pacific_Sky14 wrote a review...

Wow, I never heard that verse before, I officially just made it my favorite one! I really like your short story. The only thing that didn't sound right was the amount of time spaced in between the second and last paragraph. You don't have to change it, the story is great. :) keep writing stuff like this!!
~Sky

All we can do is our best, and hope that it was enough.
— CandyWizard