z

Young Writers Society



Romance in the Veins of Noir

by ariah347


Author's note: This is a VERY rough draft to a dream I had the other night. It has been revised from my 2am notations. It is likely to be the next novel I write after I finish Reflecting Hearts. Reviewers, does this take you into the time period? Can you vividly see the scene? I am working on descriptions, world/character/story building, and pacing. My strong suit is poetry, my pride and joy. Along with formal papers related to my job or college, writing poetry tends to feel easy and natural to me. However, writing stories, short or long, do not. Is there too much slang? Do you get a feel for the genre and does it intrigue you? Is there something here worth continuing? Thanks and enjoy :)

Name's Charlotte Ella Johnson, though most folks call me Lottie. My name, it's got that '60s flair, inspired by my mom's deep respect for the strong black women of the '40s.

Mama used to talk about these amazing women from then, like Lena Horne and Josephine Baker. They were pioneers, breaking down barriers and shaking up the status quo. Mama made sure their spirit lived on in me. She'd say, "Lottie, you're part of this generation that's gonna bring about change, just like the women who inspired your name."

Daddy, he was a real hero of World War II, and he had a whole other thing going on. He'd been through it all during the war, and his stories were straight out of a movie. But what set him apart was his love for everything spooky, from classic monsters to mind-bending thrillers. That's where I picked up my thing for all things mysterious. When I was chillin’ in my room, I would read mystery novels, Nancy Drew being my ace.

As for me, I was a bit of a spectacle compared to other teenage girls my age, not that it bothered me any. That day, I leaned against the kiosk, my long, unruly hair swept to one side with a headband as I absentmindedly twirled the ends. My job was to serve the popcorn to guests if they bought some and help the main cashier when she was extra busy. My clothes changed with my mood. Each day was like a jack-in-the-box of what Lottie would be. Sometimes, I dressed like the boys, even if they wouldn't pipe down with their rude comments. The girls only seemed to want to be nice to me when I wore a minidress or bell bottoms and turtleneck. And despite the attention, I kinda liked it that way.

As I sat behind the ticket counter at the local movie theater, the old cash register softly dinging as I counted change and the jukebox playing rock 'n' roll tunes in the corner, the overwhelming scent of buttered popcorn practically gagged my tastebuds. I reached into my pocket, searching for something to distract my senses, and found a stick of bubble-mint gum. I unwrapped it, the vibrant packaging a burst of color in the dimly lit ticket stand. I popped a piece into my mouth, eager to freshen my senses and escape the omnipresent aroma. Stacey, the bubbly main cashier, shot me a glare as I rolled my eyes and turned back to my work. She greeted the next customer with her over-the-top, high-pitched voice.

The theater was getting a lot more attention these days than the local drive-in, which was usually the hot spot in the middle of summer. But, in the shadow of that recent murder, folks didn't want to be caught out in the dark of night. So, they flocked to our theater, their conversations hushed down more than usual, even as the neon glow from the marquee painted their faces with movie magic. This wasn't the summer they had expected, and the cinema offered an escape, a brief respite from the unsettling darkness that had descended upon our town.

When the night dragged a bit, I took a break. Bored out of my wits, I gazed across the street at the movie theater building, its marquee illuminated with the titles of the latest flicks. "Psycho" was up there, and "To Kill a Mockingbird" too. It was a strange mix, like the people lining up for tickets.

The line, illuminated by the marquee and street lamps, was a small-scale version of our quirky ole town. Young and old, well mostly young, bunched in a row, some in big groups, some solo, and a fair share of couples.

As the line grew longer and my break was coming to an end, I begrudgingly stamped out my cigarette onto the sidewalk. The smoke hung in the air a sec, a lingering rebel against the suffocating normalcy that often surrounded me.

Returning to the kiosk, Stacy’s smile greeted me as I prepared to help shorten the line. I guess she was tired of holding down the fort alone. She was one of those gals who seemed to exist in a realm of her own, with her physique echoing that certain timeless allure. Her figure, subtly reminiscent of the curves and grace of Brigitte Bardot, had a way of turning heads. With large blonde hair impeccably styled in a bouffant, she had that same classic Hollywood vibe that matched her big personality. A slight gap in her teeth added an extra touch, giving her an air of confident nonconformity, something I could oddly appreciate, even if her impeccable appearance occasionally grated on me.

With a resigned sigh, I called out the line to split so we could service two lines at once and hopefully get it to cool out quick. Stacy flashed another smile, probably happy the load got lighter. It seemed like the kind of day where our differences were destined to collide, just like a good old-fashioned movie plot twist.

As I popped a bubble, I eavesdropped on a conversation from the young couple standing in front of the movie posters. The girl, about my age, declared to the boy standing next to her, "It's absolutely dreadful what happened to that poor lady."

The boy, who didn't seem to care much, retorted, "She shouldn't have been up in Hill Creek. That's just asking for trouble, you know. Plus, it’s probably some phony story to scare us from cruisin’ there."

"Michael! Don't be such a naysayer. I’m a real with-it gal and read it in the paper," the girl scolded.

“The paper’s meant to be a drag! Not what any girl like you should be stickin’ her nose in.” The boy put his arm around her shoulder, pulling her towards the line.

I shook my head, my outward agreement with her. It was a tough world out there, and Hill Creek or any other remote location wasn't a place you'd want to be at night. Sometimes, the folks around here didn't realize the dangers that lurked in the shadows.

The couple approached the ticket counter as we worked through the line, and I greeted them with a forced smile. "Good evening," I said, "The Starlit Cinema is pleased you chose us for your movie today. What will you be seeing tonight?"

The boy, with a careless shrug, pointed at one of the movie posters. "We'll take two tickets for 'Westside Story."

My heart sank. 'Westside Story” was one of those overly sappy, unrealistic romance flicks that seemed to draw young couples like them in. I snubbed their pick of movies. It probably would have them dreaming of an idealized love, while real-life love was anything but. My only example of love like that was my momma and pop. In the new age of free-love, the Romeo and Juliet trope was a dying breed.

Despite my personal disapproval, I processed their tickets. I was only working here a few weekends a month to help because my family's struggles but daddy didn’t like me telling people that. He was disabled from his service and received meager assistance, and my mama’s job at the local library didn't bring in much either. Times were tough, and we often struggled to make ends meet, sometimes even for groceries. I enjoyed being an employed woman, one of few in my high school, even Stacey was older than me, although I didn’t know by how much.

So, I smiled politely and handed them their tickets, secretly wishing they'd find a movie more in touch with reality. After all, life in our small town was far from the dreamy teenage romance portrayed on the silver screen.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
20 Reviews


Points: 314
Reviews: 20

Donate
Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:04 pm
View Likes
GrHinds09 wrote a review...



I loved this story. Lottie is super cool, she's strong, independent, nonconforming, funny and just overall great! She just has really good vibes, in a mystery book heroine kinda way. Which makes sense considering the genre lol.
The setting is so good it's really clear. I feel like I can see the movie theater and mentioned parts of the town really well.
The time period is obvious considering many of her references. World war II, movies, books, slang and celebrities all show this well. The slang makes sense and isn't overdone as well.
There's some grammatical errors, but I'm sure you know that considering it's a rough draft.
The spooky themes and development was really attention grabbing too. I love this paragraph so much, it's super spooky and well written.
"The theater was getting a lot more attention these days than the local drive-in, which was usually the hot spot in the middle of summer. But, in the shadow of that recent murder, folks didn't want to be caught out in the dark of night. So, they flocked to our theater, their conversations hushed down more than usual, even as the neon glow from the marquee painted their faces with movie magic. This wasn't the summer they had expected, and the cinema offered an escape, a brief respite from the unsettling darkness that had descended upon our town."
I would absolutely read this if you continued it! I love it so much!

I hope you have a super spooky fantastic day!

P.S. Can I draw Lottie? She has such an interesting description so I'd love to make art of her and post it with al links to you and your story attached. If that would be okay with you?




ariah347 says...


That is absolutely okay and totally awesome!!! Thank you for your review. Happy review day and pleasant hauntings to you <3



GrHinds09 says...


Yay!!! It'll probably be done next week! I'm a little busy this weekend :(



User avatar
667 Reviews


Points: 10927
Reviews: 667

Donate
Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:38 am
Messenger wrote a review...



Hey there! Happy Review Day! Your blurb and title caught my eye. So I thought I'd get a ticket and catch a flick while I was in town.

I'm not going to be super specific, since it sounds like this is a fairly rough draft and you know what your plan is for it in the future. A few overall points to be made

1. I think the setting is great. From the word go it feels like the opening to a movie. Personally, I immediately thought of Forrest Gump, Where the Crawdads Sing, and a book called "The Sand Hill". The vibes are there, the history is there the context is all laid out plainly in Lottie's parent's history. You can easily guess this is the 60s fairly quickly via the WWII, the language Lottie uses, the role models she mentions etc.

2. When reading. There seemed to be some commas and grammatical errors. I'm terrible at punctuation, so I personally use Grammarly's free version, which catches all sorts of comma and misspelling mishaps for me. I always recommend it, especially if you aren't paying for Microsoft Word (which I do not currently). I didn't feel like pointing out the specific instances since you said this is a rough draft, so this is more of an FYI :)

3. Great, easy intro to the town and the surrounding area. I can feel the atmosphere in the theater and outside. The couple comes across as stereotypical of the period, and I don't mean that in a bad way. I think it sets us up for knowing how the people in this world will act, and I can't already see some problems that could arise with getting help and talking to people when Lottie inevitably gets caught up in this murder.
(Also shout out to Nancy Drew; for me it was The Hardy Boys).

I think that's most of what I have to say. I like the tone. I think the descriptions were pretty good, although a little more on the wear of the time and the interior of the theater could help set the tone more. Is it dark with yellow lights, is there zany carpet? Was it cold or warm outside? Do people judge Lottie for smoking as a young woman? The one problem I had was when you used the word "sec" . To me that's a bit too informal when not used in dialogue. Hope this helps!

~Messy




ariah347 says...


The questions in your review have me considering adding more when I get back to this. Thank you for your kind comments and tips. Happy review day and spooky season <3



User avatar
114 Reviews


Points: 9484
Reviews: 114

Donate
Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:46 pm
Ley wrote a review...



Hello, Ariah!

I'm here to review this lovely piece for you. I read the dialogue before the story, and I'm here to answer them!

Yes, this takes me into the time period. You described things perfectly: the old cash register, the jukebox and rock 'n roll, the mention of World War II, the movie references; it all made me feel like I was really in the 60's.

There's not too much slang in this piece, back then all they really used was slang, and their way of speaking was completely different. Sometimes to get more familiar with the time period I'm writing about, I'll read books that were written in that time period, or watch old movies (such as Westside Story, like you mentioned ;) ).

The use of the words "folk" and "gal" are perfect representations for slang in the 60's. The world building is also great, I think this is a wonderful start to Charlotte's story!

So far, as for genre, it's a good start to a mystery/drama. From what I've read, Charlotte is a young girl living in the 60's, and there's a place called Hill Creek where some weird things are happening. It leaves me wondering what that couple read in the newspaper; was it a murder? Suicide? It leaves me wanting answers.

So far, I think this piece is definitely worth continuing! Thank you for sharing :)

With Love,
Leya




ariah347 says...


When I return to this piece, I'll definitely be taking on that tip of watching old movies! Thank you for your nice comments Leya! Happy review day <3




So verily with the hardship, there is a relief, verily with the hardship, there is a relief.
— Quran Ch 94:5-6