3 Dads

by angelinamar

Can you believe it? I've had 3 dads already! 

My first dad left me when I was a lot younger. Too young to even remember. At 18 months old, (1 years old) stepped in 'Josh'. You see Josh was supposed to be my new 'Forever Dad' because my first dad could do his job correctly. My mom and new dad got married. Fast forward 13 years later, they're getting divorced. At first, I was angry but slowly I realized Josh couldn't play his role as my dad either. Throughout those 13 years a lot  had happened  and slowly but surely I realized who Josh really was. I still visit him on weekends but he will never be the same Josh he was when I first met him. Fast forward a month or two later, stepped in 'Pablo', mom's new boyfriend. 

Getting to know Pablo was easier than a kid learning how to read. Pablo and I related on a bunch of stuff and still do. Unlike my first two dads, Pablo hasn't left. He hasn't let me down or disappointed me. Pablo keeps his promises. Pablo is nice and understanding. Pablo is reasonable. Pablo doesn't make me feel like I'm below him. 

Even though we have our ups and downs, Pablo still hasn't left me. Pablo still hasn't given up on me. He still encourages me and means it. He supports my dreams and things I want to accomplish in life. I'm glad my mom met Pablo, because without his love and support, I wouldn't e where I am today.

Thanks Pablo ❤

First Impression: This is quite a lovely little story. Its very surprising when it gets to what its trying to say and I think that serves it well to really give us a little bit of a shock factor and let us really feel those first couple of paragraphs powerfully.

My first dad left me when I was a lot younger. Too young to even remember. At 18 months old, (1 years old) stepped in 'Josh'. You see Josh was supposed to be my new 'Forever Dad' because my first dad could do his job correctly. My mom and new dad got married. Fast forward 13 years later, they're getting divorced. At first, I was angry but slowly I realized Josh couldn't play his role as my dad either. Throughout those 13 years a lot had happened and slowly but surely I realized who Josh really was. I still visit him on weekends but he will never be the same Josh he was when I first met him. Fast forward a month or two later, stepped in 'Pablo', mom's new boyfriend.

Oooh this is quite the tale. The title at first is just an intriguing prospect and you start to wonder how something like that could be possible but then you dive into the actual meat of the story and things definitely escalate rather quickly. I was expecting something a little more fantasy based but instead we're met with a brutal sort of reality there. ANd the way that you present this with almost this view of a young child describing things with a more innocent outlook on life really makes its stand out that much more powerfully here. A very strong start to proceedings.

Oooh given how that started I wasn't entirely hopeful of a happier ending to those particular proceedings but it seems we have at the very least something of a tentative balance going on here. Its not the happiest ending in all the land but its definitely a lot more hopeful than the note that we started off on there.

I think this is a lovely note to cap this all off right here. Just the idea that this is an imperfect but building relationship that is going somewhere and is going somewhere good. Its a lovely little sentiment to cap off everything we've build up here, that maybe after three dads something has finally become right, that even if it isn't perfect, its good enough that its created a good life.

Overall: Overall this is a really cool tale here I think. It unfolds quite nicely into that ending which I think has just the right balance to leave us on a genuinely hopeful and wholesome note.

Kate

I communicate much better on paper than I do when I open my mouth.
— Aaron Sorkin