Smoke and dust (prologue)

by Willow

At first I didn’t know whether it was dust or smoke. A thick haze of vapor hung over the city, masking the setting sun. I stepped forward as though in a trance. My mind was too busy admiring the dusky silence that gleamed off the glistening walls to realize where my feet were placing themselves. Closer and closer I drew, until I could no longer see the top of buildings, placing me somewhere in the middle of the downward slope of Fiery Hill.

My feet led me to a school that headed the rest of the sparkling city. I walked through the towering gates to find a sandpit with a little girl in it. She was sitting cross-legged on the sand, building a castle. She wore a faded pink dress that looked as though it was meant for a birthday party.

As I drew closer I heard her humming a distinct tune. It sounded familiar though I could not place it. She didn’t look up at me, or give any sign of feeling my presence.

Holding up her hand she let the sand run through her open fingers until it melted in with the rest.

I kneeled down beside her and looked into her face, but it was masked by long glossy black hair. She still paid no attention to me.

“Get away from her!” an anxious voice called from the distant hill. I turned my head back to see who was yelling. The broad figure of my keeper came pelting down the hill, holding her numerous skirts up and waving a hand fearfully to me.

“Run child! Come back!” She yelled.

I wondered why she was yelling so frightfully.

I turned back to girl and let out a piercing scream.

The glossy hair had been swept back to reveal a truly terrible face. Her reddish skin was stretched taught over it, resembling a skeleton. Pouchy swollen red eyes emerged out of a sunken scull. Her lips curled to reveal sharp black teeth in a mouth full of blood.

I scrambled to my feet an ran faster than ever, back to the other side of the hill. I didn’t look back as my keeper huffed alongside me, and only turned for one last glance at the top of the grassy slope.

The girl was standing beside a trampled sand castle, a limp doll fell to the floor as her black hair drifted in front of her face again and I skidded to the safety of my village.

Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:34 pm
WaterSpout wrote a review...

Hello Willow!
This is quite an interesting story you've got there. I really like where this is set and all the descriptions you provided for the reader.
So, without further ado, I'll get started.

^The introduction was done really well. I was drawn in to read more, which is a good sign, obviously. There is enough information to tell the reader where this story takes place, but not overloading them.
It sounded familiar(,) though I could not place it. She didn’t look up at me->,<- or give any sign of feeling my presence.

In short, just move the comma that's in between 'me' and 'or' to in between 'familiar' and 'though.' The second problem is that you use present-tense 'give' in a past-tense story. But 'gave' wouldn't make sense, would it? Unless 'give' is right...?

Holding up her hand(,)(This needs a comma) she let the sand run through her open fingers until it melted in with the rest.

Mmm, this is done exceptionally great. Except grammar kinda runs it. Open fingers?!? I think you meant the girl opened her hand - no, open her palm - no. I can see it is hard describing it. Maybe you could've just said 'fingers' and exclude 'open.' That would make more sense.

That's all the errors I found. This is truly a creepy story. I could not imagine what I would've done if I was placed in that position. But I'm kind of confused why this is labeled as general when clearly it's horror. Good job with the storytelling, though!
With caution,

WaterSpout

Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:17 am
Kilty says...

Very creepy--that is hard to achieve without sounding cheesy--but it didn't sound cheesy. I'm going to go read some more of this. Wow. :)

hekategirl says...

Oooh, I like this, I can't really say write more because you already have written more. But the face of the girl....eck, it made a shiver go down my spine. I mean this has a compleiment!

Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:51 pm
Firestarter wrote a review...

Nice story, here's a typo for ya -

was to busy

too busy.

That's all I could find. I thought this was well-written but rather confusing seeing as we have no information. Obviously this will be alleviated with any follow-yup. Thanks for sharing.

Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:41 am
Willow says...

This is kinda like a prologue. I'm sorta working on something to follow it up but I haven't had time write lately. Thanks guys :D

Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:43 pm
Emma wrote a review...

omg, its amazing. Though I didn't get it. (13's and unders dont understand these things) It was like wierd. I need to read more on this or I'll end up like that wierd girl with the strange face. Did you get it from somewhere?! It sounds amazing!

Look what you made me do! Im repeating stuff! Im flabbergasted! Wow!

Sam says...

Ha ha.

Only this time I don't get it.

I know this is meant to be sort of mysterious, but still, what?

Explain a bit, please!

I am always saying "Glad to've met you" to somebody I'm not at all glad I met. If you want to stay alive, you have to say that stuff, though.
— Holden Caulfield