A Nursery In Paris, 1783

by TeddytheBear

I appreciate all critiques. Thanks!

P.S. I am rather new to writing, so I apologize if I switched tenses, or some other amateurish mistake :smt086

________

Entering the room, a squalling child buried in my arms, I surveyed all the darling, little babies, swaddled and placed in bassinets. Peering out the large windows, I observed the ominous thunderclouds and accepted that tomorrow would be another dreary day. I heaved a sigh and strode down the lines of sleeping infants. “Why,” I thought, “Just three were admitted yesterday!” Calculating in my head, I realized that at this rate of admission, we would no longer have any vacancy, or money to support our tiny charges, for that matter. Shaking my head vigorously, I pushed those thoughts away; they were better suited for the time when our fees were due.

My thoughts sobering, I considered, as I have often done, how any creature worthy of the term “human” could leave their child in a collection basket; destitute, cold, and without any sort of provisions.

Walking past a consecutive row of ailing babies, I realized the direness of their situation and tried not to allow my emotions free reign; for if in control, I would be weepy mess. While I struggled with my depressive feelings, I began to comprehend and consider why I felt this way; I was saddened to note that in the future, all these children would wonder, “Was I not wanted? Did they not care?”

My thoughts so inclined, the recollection of a sick, dying child screaming, ringed in my ears. So concentrated was I on my thoughts, that I did not hear Margaret, the head nurse, approach.

A person patted my shoulder. I started, whirling around. Upon seeing that it was merely Margaret and not some deranged abductor, I resolved into a smile, albeit a forced one.

Margaret smiled and tilted her head, appraising my current emotional state. If I ever swore, I would have sworn that she could read my heart, mind, and soul.

“Do not fret, my dear Alice,” and misinterpreting (or so I thought) the reason for my emotional turmoil, she said, “We shall give these children a loving home and nurture them in the ways of the Lord.” Taking the child from my arms, she scowled, though not at the baby. “Something their wretched parents have not seen fit to do.”

A lump forming in my throat, I said, “That’s not what I’m worried about, Margaret, but instead, how will we provide them with such necessities as food, clothing, and education?” I repressed a disappointed sigh; but though smothered, I’m quite certain Margaret heard it.

But her watchful gaze already wandering, Margaret patted my shoulder, making to attend to yet another pressing responsibility. “Have faith, Alice, and the Lord will provide and give us --. Don’t touch that, Charles!” she shouted, interrupting herself, her blue eyes widening in exasperation.

In the middle of walking off, I stopped her, my mind still troubled. “But what if the Lord doesn’t assist us in our time of want?” Stopping mid-stride, Margaret turned, opened her mouth, and paused with her mouth half open. As if thinking, she looked at the ceiling. Turning to the side, she called, “Elise, restrain the rubicund rapscallion!” And as soon as she gave the command, a disheveled looking nurse raced through the entrance, her head bowed in respect. Though I was currently in a brooding frame of mind, I couldn’t help but smile and remember that Margaret, in general, had that effect on people.

Elise rushed past us. “Yes, ma’am, I shall attend to that immediately, ma’am.”

“Oh, and, Elise?” Margaret said, not looking up from the child that she had confiscated from my arms.

“Yes, m-a-a-’am?” Elise stuttered.

“Under no indefinite circumstances shall said convict be allowed any substances that generate intolerable behavior, namely ones of the sugary variety.”

Nodding her head to such an extent that it wouldn’t be a surprise if it were shaken clear off, Elise was off.

There was one thing that I was still puzzled about though, and I wasted no time in trying to clarify it.

“Margaret, why were you using such obscure language when telling Elise what to do?”

“Ah,” she said, “You see, Charles is a dastardly child, and an intelligent one at that.”

My expression after this statement not conveying enlightenment, she added, “If Charles understood that we were taking measures to stop his misdeeds, he would escape into his special hiding place. One, she said, her expression one of slight irritation, One that we have not yet discovered.”

Silence ensued, due to Margaret being preoccupied with, what’s his name? Oh, yes, ‘twas Henry. I remembered. Perhaps I wasn’t so old after all, I mused.

Meanwhile, rocking back and forth, Margaret made a funny face at the baby, Henry; and as was its purpose, her silly expression elicited a laugh from the child.

Remembering all of a sudden the reason why she had stayed, Margaret looked at me, her eyes gleaming expectantly. “Well, what matter did you wish to consult my erudite opinions upon, Alice?” she asked, enjoying the superfluous way of speech.

I sighed, Margaret and serious never seemed to correspond. I rejoiced at that thought.

Collecting my thoughts, I looked outside the windows and was surprised to see the first rays of the sun peak the horizon. All signs of the thunderclouds had disappeared. Wondering at the sudden change, I allowed myself to absorb that hope which is brought by the reappearance of sunshine, after a long period of darkness.

“Never mind, Margaret. None of my doubt is left, instead it has been replaced with those overly sentimental feelings we call faith and hope.”

Margaret bent over, as if telling a secret. “If faith and hope are sentimental mush, I’m the largest pile of ever known to man.”

I stared at her, surprised, my eyes pleading for an expansion on that unfathomable statement. But alas, my only response received: she winked.

Following her gaze, we watched the sunlight’s indomitable happiness enter the room, illuminating everything inside. I smiled. Heaven on earth was the only phrase that could describe my emotions when I saw all the babies in peaceful repose. Consenting to smile once more before setting my mind to the day’s tasks, I realized that maybe I was an immense pile of sentimental mush, as well.

Margaret patted my arm. “That’s the right perspective, dear,” she said, and without further delay, walked off, her stride confident and sure.

I shook my head, a lop-sided grin stretching my face. Margaret could read minds. That much was incontestably certain.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:34 am
itisme says...

I was impressed! Especially considering you are so young yet! You definitely have a talent. I found your story enjoyable and it flowed smoothly. There were a few sentences that were a bit wordy, but all in all it was very well written!

Stori says...

Hi. I just had one little concern here.
You tend to order sentences, "While doing this, I did that."
Check the fourth paragraph. I believe it ought to be "rang" in my ear.

Well writted, Canis?

canislupis wrote a review...

I liked this--especially the way you clearly took the time to proof read before posting.

Here are some things I noticed that you may want to look for:

1. Character reactions/dialogue. In some places, the dialogue felt very forced to me. It might help you to say it out loud, imagining the way they would say it. Also, does anyone really think this way?

Calculating in my head, I realized that at this rate of admission, we would no longer have any vacancy, or money to support our tiny charges, for that matter.

Because this is first person, you don't have to write out stuff like "I contemplated xx, then thought about yy" etc. Eg. "I frowned, pondering whether or not she'd be home that day..." could be changed to "I frowned. Would she come home today?" (this is a random example, but I think you get the point).

2. Plot. All I've really seen so far is the nursery itself. There is a hint of a conflict in the way they might not have enough money (which is good)but that's about all that's happening, and to hold your readers' attention, you may need to add something a bit more immediate, you know? Like if they knew they were going to lose it if they couldn't get more money, and soon, or they didn't have enough money to feed the kids. Basically anything to make it more difficult for the characters.

And as has already been mentioned, some period details would be nice.

But that's about it! This was a very charming, well-writted piece. (Actually, for someone who claims not to know what they're doing, this is quite excellent. :))

* likes *

If you continue this, or want a review on something else, please feel free to PM me!

Same goes for questions.

See you around!

Lupis

JaneThermopolis wrote a review...

Wow, this is pretty good! I don't usually try to be bias by people's ages on here but for an 11 year old this is an absolutely phenomenal piece of writing. Good job. I agree with a lot of what other people said, you have to "show us" more of the story, than "telling us".
Are you going to write a second part? If you do, let me know!
Keep writing,
Jane

Fishr wrote a review...

'Ello, m'Dear!

A wonderful story for starting in the world of Literacy (or insanity, 'pending on one's outlook ;)).

Two areas caught my attention immeadiatly, and I believe would tighten and certaintly make the overall atmosphere (or "feeling") of the setting strengthen. First, as a period piece, try and not negate specifics. As we are late in the 18th c., would you be able to describe her clothing? What is she wearing? Perhaps a raggy gown? Is she dressed at all considering the situation? Second, I'm assuming she's French, yet, there is not a trace of an accent? ;) You could be really creative with languages. For instance, just because you're in a different country does not mean you have to speak the language. Perhaps comprehension of French politics and culture are troublesome or hinder happiness in some way?

Last but not least, in the era you've chosen, I was giddy to read the plight of the youngings. (No, I'm not heartless, lol). I was/am happy for someone so young - compared to moi - paid attention to the fundementals of hardship. It was interesting for sure. Really made me wonder... I like stories that force the wheels upstairs to turn.

You might also experiment with choosing an actual nursery in Paris, but not specifically the 1700s. Using an actual place is by far more amusing and way more fun! :D

Thanks for the read.

Shadowlight wrote a review...

Hi.
I liked your story very much. It hooked me right away and I wanted to know what happened next but I have a few critiques.
Through most of the story you "Told" us what was going on instead of "Showing". it is a common thing among all writers whether you have been writing for two years or twenty. sometimes you need to tell to get your readers right in the moment but most of the time it is better to show and let them "connect the dots".
I love, love LOVE your interaction between characters. It is lovely, keep doing that!
your story lacked much description, if you pepper your dialogue and characters thoughts with descriptions it would keep your readers in-tune to the characters surroundings.
on the whole it is a lovely piece and as a first time writer you should be proud!
my first few stories were only fit for one thing..... the wood stove. :lol:
Keep up the good work!

ballerina13 wrote a review...

I found this piece interesting. The concept is different and that it what makes it a good read. You the scenes beautifully. Although, your character is lacking in details. Show us what she looks like. How she feels, acts. Does she like her job? What about her family? Tell us her history. I enjoyed this piece very much. Keep working on it. :D

Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:19 pm
cheetmeet says...

I loved this! It's completely absorbing, I was sitting beside the character in an instant. The very first paragraph is my favourite, completely setting up the whole story.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:20 am
Quetseli wrote a review...

It's lovely work! I think its done wonderfully. The thing you could do though is describe the characters, their surrounds, and actions. Like when scolding a child, what is the child doing that is wrong? What does the nursery look like? Paneled wood or just wooden floors with some type wallpaper? Are the windows all lined next to each other on one wall, arched or not? What do the women looks like in the face? Are they wearing nun uniforms(the sounded like they were)? It's a good idea to give a description even if it's brief. It helps the readers mental image. But good job! Continue the work!

The poetry of the earth is never dead.
— John Keats