Chapter Nine: ORIGINALLY CHAPTER 8

by Soulkana

Chapter 8: The Reasons

Two days. Two days have passed since Rin became a ward to the Orphanage. Two days since our letters arrived. Two days they have been sitting upstairs. Laying my room still unopened. My insatiable thirst for knowledge made resisting the desire to read mine incredibly difficult. My hands fidgeted in my lap as I sat in Art. I was truthfully unable to focus on drawing. I conceded that I wanted to read it. Yet, the look of my mom’s face when she learned we received them made me apprehensive. ‘Why did she look so worried? So lost?’ I wondered, as I ignored the havoc of my class’s frustration.

I leaned back in my chair. The cold plastic cooled off the flesh of my back. With my eyes closed I let out a heavy sigh. My fingers drummed against the table. For the first time I wanted nothing more than to leave. Art at the present time just didn’t entertain me. I felt something odd in the air. Something that didn't belong there. My body screamed to run from the predator that was invisible to everyone. Somehow I couldn’t figure out who or what the disturbance was. My head pounded as the noise around me started to be coming through as if in a tunnel. I knew then if I opened my eyes, I would become disoriented.

Taking a deep breath I focused on breathing, in out, in out. Slowly I could feel the tension in my posture ease and the headache dulling a bit. It was just enough that I would be able to moved around without constantly tripping over my own feet. Something was amiss, something or someone was here and whatever it was, it wasn’t here for good intentions.

The bell rang just as I was prying my eyes open, just a crack. The sheer loudness of it sent my head spinning. The scenery of the class faded to a mesh of colors as the chair clattered over. My ears ringing, I felt tears cascade down my face feeling pain ravaging my head. The teacher gently touched my shoulder as she tried calling my name. However, I could not answer. The pain was blocking my capability to speak. Perhaps, I could sign?..but would she be able to understand? I shut my eyes, as I prevented the noise from entering my head.

Slowly I heard a voice speak in my head, soothing. It seemed to ease the pain as it whispered, “Open your eyes, little one. I won’t let him harm you.”

Harm? Who was it trying to harm me? I thought, unable to comprehend what was happening around me. I felt a pair of tenacious arms hoist me up. Again, I heard the masculine voice, only this time, out loud, “Come on child, open your eyes. He’s gone now.”

I opened one eye, skeptic to this complete stranger. Yet the pain did not come again and I obediently opened them all the way. Holding me in his arms, was a man, who seemed oddly familiar. Yet I couldn’t remember whatsoever where I saw him before. His eyes were a deep-sea of chocolate-brown, almost appearing black. His hair had a windswept look and was the same as his eyes.

He regarded me seriously and inquired, his tone firm, “Do you know Rosa Andren?”

I opened my mouth, to question how he knew my mom, but the words seemed to lose themselves in my throat and I just nodded, feebly.

For a few seconds, he watched me, as if making sure I was telling the truth, before nodding. He turned to the teacher, requesting politely, “Can you please call Rosa? Tell her, Silas has Alexis and that we're on the way to her house.”

The teacher hesitated before nodding her head. She scurried off to the phone. The stranger, Silas, began stroding towards the door still holding me in his arms.

I was about to question him when he cut me off, his voice adamant. “Please, Alexis not now. I will answer your inquiries when we have arrived to Rosa’s. Is there any place we need to stop at?”

Unfaltering in my reply, I nodded, “Yes we need to go get my sister, Hope. Her school is a few blocks down from here. Eastwards.”

Without responding he headed out of the building. He stepped on the sidewalk along the street and looked around, calculating. I could see that whatever it was that had supposedly aspired to harm me was very vital to this man.

I watched the sky as he walked. His brisk movements giving off an air of urgency to all those who looked at us as we moved past them. He ceased all movement as we reached the front of the school. A few seconds later their bell rung signaling the end of the day.

With the sun flashing in my eyes, I could dimly make out the figure of my little sister. She seemed alright, no bruises or red, puffy eyes. She smiled when she saw me, but it withered away when she saw Silas. She rushed up to me, interrogating, hotly "What did you do to her?!"

Silas gave her a disapproving gaze, growling, "I did nothing to her, imprudent child! Now come along we need to get to Rosa, now!"

Hope glowered at him, but trailed behind as we took off to Mom's. The headache returned unanticipated and more intense than when I was in the classroom. I stiffened in Silas's arms, feeling panic suspend my very spirit. I could barely hear Silas's voice, trying to pull me back. However, I couldn't, whatever was doing this held a fierce grip on my body.

I felt Silas pick up his pace, not really comprehending why he was so worried. I could hear Hope running after us as we finally reached the block of our house. My fingers clutched at Silas's black shirt as a cold, icy voice whispered, persuasively in my mind, "Come, come to me. I can give you all the power you need!!"

I could feel Silas grip my wrists, keeping me from going after the voice. Hope opened the door and he swept into the living room, eyes hard. He placed me on the couch, forcing me to look him in the eyes. His voice entered my head as he began to trace symbols in the air. "Alexis, please don't listen to him. Follow my voice."

I winced in pain as I gripped hold of the sound of his voice, allowing it to pull me free of the voice controlling my mind. The light hurt my eyes, so I closed them. He continued to weave the strange symbols, his hands glowing a dull yellow light. I turned my head to see my Mom walk in, anxiety in her expression.

"My lord, Silas what happened?" She questioned, touching him on the shoulder. She looked at me with concern.

He didn't answer until he finished the symbols. Stopping, he placed his hands on my shoulders, "Don't move yet, Alexis. Rosa, he has found her. She is now of age of her Lykra heritage...the transformation should come before the next full moon. So we have till three days."

She watched him, he seemed as though he was someone she knew but hadn't seen in a long time. "Why did you come now?"

His expression turned guarded, as he said stiffly, "I made a promise to Linda, Rosa. I will not break that promise."

I felt the fog in my head clear, as I watched the two of them converse. I could tell just from their posture and tone of voice, that there was some sort of rift between the two. "What do you mean heritage?"

"You haven't told her!! Especially when she's been accepted?" Silas shouted, angrily. His eyes unmistakably cold.

Mom gave him a piercing glare, growling, "Do not test me, Silas. Linda and Robert may have trusted you, but I have not. Not after what you did."

He sighed, exasperated, "That was ten years ago, Rosa. I didn't mean to call you that and you know it!"

She glowered at him, "You didn't say that on accident, SIlas Serpentine. We'll argue on this later, now we need to tell Alexis what's going to be happening the next few days. As you so clearly pointed out eariler."

He grimaced at that, before turning to me, asking, "Have you read your letter yet, Alexis?"

I shook my head, muttering, "No, sir, it's still upstairs...with Hope's and Rin's. The package from my parent's is up there as well."

He nodded, and began the trek up the stairs. I turned my attention to my Mom, who gently brushed my hair from my eyes, asking, "Mom, who is he?"

She sighed sightly, rubbing my arm saying, "He's a friend of your parents and I. He has been working at the BlackTears Academy since he became a Runes Crafter. We broke contact when an old enemy of your mother's family broke free and went after them."

I frowned, "Who was it? Why did he want us?"

Rosa glanced as Silas came back downstairs, holding the letters and package in his hands. I turned as he placed the package and one of the letters in my lap, saying, "I think you should read your parent's letters first, Alexis. I'm sure they will explain what just happened...and who they were fighting against."

I paused and nodded, abruptly dreading opening my parent's letters. Swallowing the unsavory taste of bile in my throat, I opened the package. Opening the cardboard flaps, I saw two thick letters sitting, neatly on top.

With trembling fingers I picked up the first letter. It was my Daddy's handwriting and I read it, carefully.

Dear Alexis,

As of now you must be seven and have been accepted into a magical academy. So now I believe it is time we have told you about our enemies. There will be many people who will want to use your power, my child. One of the more dangerous of my enemies is a headmaster named, Allen Quing. He will try to use your power to control the world. Beware his manipulations, Alexis and trust Silas when he says something. He will keep you safe, as will Rosa.

Since you have been accepted I believe I should say congratulations, sweetie. You will unlock the first part of your Shadow Faery inheritance on the eve of the fall equinox, on September twenty-third. I will have a letter a week before so you know what you will go through. In the box is a book on Shadow Magic.

I hope it helps and I wish you the best of luck, my daughter. I shall have more from you next full moon. I'm proud of you, Alexis and I love you! Keep following your thirst for knowledge and become your own person...do not become the weapon of others.

Love,

Daddy

I felt tears spill down my face. However, deep inside I felt a stabbing sensation of fear and apprehension. The knowledge that my parent's had a lot of enemies told me they were more than just your average people. With a shuddering breath, I calmed myself and picked up my Mommy's letter, far longer than my Daddy's.

Dear Alexis,

Hi sweetie! I need to be serious in this letter. In three days time you shall go through your Lykra inheritance. As of this dilemma, my father and the headmaster of the Dark Academy shall be able to track you. Beware, Alexis he is very cunning and persuasive with the magic of the minds. He will do whatever it takes to gain immortality, which is only accessible by the blood of you, my child. You must, like your Daddy said, listen to Silas and Rosa..no matter how hard it is. They will protect you. Silas is your godfather, even though Rosa will probably learn this just after this letter.

Alright, during your inheritance you will need Silas to place you in a deep magical sleep. This will keep yourself from awakening during the transformation. The magical surge you will receive will be excruciatingly painful. You will become able to see the past of our family, as a precaution to protect the family heir. Each Lykra holds a specific familiar and you will bond with yours that night. Don't worry about finding it, it will come too once you've awakened. You must rest for a few days after you come into the inheritance because the strain will weaken your magical core.

Inside the box is several family heirlooms of both of our families. One is the family ring. I hope they will help you later on and I love you Alexis. I hope you follow your own path, no matter what that may be.

Love,

Mommy

I placed the letters back in the box, feeling overwhelmed. My fingers, nervously fiddled with one of the cardboard flaps. My mind adjusting to the change. I placed the box down and gazed at my feet. I felt someone move up from the couch and glanced up.

I saw Silas resting his hand on my shoulder, his gaze kind and warm. "Things will be alright, Alexis, I won't let anyone harm you. Not when I still have the power to protect you." He reassured me.

I sighed and whispered, "Why me? Why was it me?"

He sighed, his eyes somber, "You weren't the first one of your family to be sought after for your powers, child. Both your parents, standing alone, would be a target. Either way you have power and we will protect you. Do not be afraid, Alexis."

Rosa wrapped her arms around me, as Hope spoke softly, "So does that mean Rin and I are in danger as well?"

Silas turned towards her, as if remembering her for the first time since we came inside, "Yes, because of your closeness with Alexis, they will try to use you as well."

"No!!" I shouted, horrified by the fact my family would be targeted because of me, again. "No, I won't anyone hurt them!!"

Silas gripped my arm, forcing me to look him in the eyes, "You have to accept this Alexis. They will be sought after to be used against you. Relax, child, I won't let them be hurt. I will do my best to keep you all safe."

I let out a deep breath, forcing myself to relax, to trust him. Finally I spoke, "So when does the Academy start?"

Silas raised an eyebrow, his face changed from serene calmness to amusement, "The BlackTears Academy begin on August twenty-first. I will devise a test so we can learn what all three of your powers are. Tell me, where is Rin?"

Rosa spoke then, her voice gentle, "She's in the hospital at the moment. The doctors say she will be allowed to be released in a couple of days."

Silas gazed at her, considering the information, thoroughly before stating, "Then I will watch over her until she is released. I will explain what is happening and I believe it is time that these children went to bed. It's almost eight o'clock."

I pouted at that, seriously who decided seven-year olds couldn't stay up past eight? The unfairness of it all. I tried moving away, but with lighting fast reflexes he caught me and lifted me into his strong arms.

"Oh no you don't. It's bedtime and you won't be able to escape, silly child." He chuckled, his voice dark and amused.

I scowled, wiggling in his hold, fighting to keep him from taking me up the stairs. Sadly, he had a tight hold and without losing his grip, he walked up the stairs, chuckling as I slumped in his arms, pouting.

"No use looking at me like that, little kid. There's no way I'm letting you stay up. Besides, its late and you have a rough day ahead of you tomorrow. You need all the sleep you can get." He said, opening the door to my room.

I sighed, finally conceding that he was right. Things would indeed be very hectic the next week or so. As he tucked me in the bed, I felt myself relaxing, taking in the scent of mint and fresh snow. 'So pleasant, so peaceful.' I thought, sleepily, allowing his scent send me into a deep, dreamless sleep.

Soulkana says...

Thanks for the review vison and I hope you will read the others lols! If you haven't already either way thanks for the review and I'll fix that later on!! Best of wishes and Happy Writing! This chapter made me proud since I actually USED a thesaurus for most of it.....and tried rephrasing the sentences so they weren't like my old ones but I don't think I managed to get that much with that part XD
Soulkana<3

Vison wrote a review...

The only mistake I see structurally is near the very beginning, 'Two days they have been sitting upstairs, laying in my room unopened'

Over all, I liked it, the feeling of the whole piece really captured me. The main character seems really interesting, with so much emotional detail going on. I don't know if I would provide that for every chapter, it can tire the reader after a certain point, but it was still good for now.

You're doing really well structurally, and your characters feel very lively to me. Overall, really good chapter.

~Vi

I will not condemn you for what you did yesterday, if you do it right today.
— Sheldon S. Maye