z

Young Writers Society



Infected- Chapter 1.

by Smexaykk01


As I walked down the abandoned, over grown street, I could hear the roars and screeching of the once so called animals but now blood thirsty and flesh eating monsters that roam the street. I kept my distance from the minor animals like mice, rabbits and cats that I see every now and then, feeding on the body’s of the infected humans. Ever since my family had died and same as everyone else I have felt hollow… like there was no point in me even being here, I mean sure I see some humans wondering around here every once in a while but they are usually infected and dying, so I try not to get to close to them. As I walked down the pathway of the street I spied myself in the reflection of the glass in one of the empty shops. I wore my tight skinny jeans with my old turquoise tank top. In one of my long black flat boots I kept my dagger, in case I had any problems with the Infected. I smoothed down my long golden brown hair that was tied up in a high ponytail.

Sorry it ended on short notice... but I want to hear more feedback from you so I feel that I am writing for a reason.

Thanks,

Smexay


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
4145 Reviews


Points: 265614
Reviews: 4145

Donate
Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:50 pm
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Hi! I'm here to leave a quick review!!

Anyway let's get right to it,

As I walked down the abandoned, over grown street, I could hear the roars and screeching of the once so called animals but now blood thirsty and flesh eating monsters that roam the street. I kept my distance from the minor animals like mice, rabbits and cats that I see every now and then, feeding on the body’s of the infected humans. Ever since my family had died and same as everyone else I have felt hollow… like there was no point in me even being here, I mean sure I see some humans wondering around here every once in a while but they are usually infected and dying, so I try not to get to close to them. As I walked down the pathway of the street I spied myself in the reflection of the glass in one of the empty shops. I wore my tight skinny jeans with my old turquoise tank top. In one of my long black flat boots I kept my dagger, in case I had any problems with the Infected. I smoothed down my long golden brown hair that was tied up in a high ponytail.


Well this one was a little lacking here at first glance. For starters, there's plenty of stuff happening here that you've gotta be breaking this piece down into at the very least two if not three paragraphs, preferably with some of those slightly finer details fleshed out a little more so that it forms more of an opening than the little bit that we have here.

On top of that particular problem we also have a bit of an issue in terms of how things are revealed to us here. The start is decent, and there's things happening that catch our attention but the way this flow continues to then have a full on random description of the protagonist kind of ends up breaking this piece a bit for me and ultimately its not as good as it could possibly have been here so I think perhaps a second look at that wouldn't be a bad idea.

Overall, there seems to be the barebones of something fairly decent here, its just not been presented all that well and in the end we've got a fairly dubious chapter one that doesn't really quite work.

Aaaaand that's it for this one.

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




Random avatar

Points: 1222
Reviews: 4

Donate
Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:33 am
ellisjay wrote a review...



If this is your first chapter, don't tell us about your world. Show us.
I'd suggest, take this detailed information and work it into an exciting scene. In late, out early. We need a hook and something to be happening to keep pages turning. For some reason, the first thing that popped into my head was Terminator. Watch how information is delivered on the run, during chase scenes, to keep everyone involved.

Keep it up mate.




User avatar
739 Reviews


Points: 32546
Reviews: 739

Donate
Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:59 pm
xXTheBlackSheepXx wrote a review...



You have an interesting story here, but you need to work on your writing. You have major information dumps in the first few sentence, giving away lots of opportunities for suspense. It would be more exciting to hear lots of descriptions of the town and rats and infected people roaming the street so the audience is like ‘woah, what IS this place?’. that would be an easy way to create suspense. Also, in the description of your character, to accent her desperate situation, maybe you could add ‘blood stained clothing’ or ‘dirt on face’ or ‘messy ponytail’. you follow? :)

Run-on sentences and details can be a quick fix, so don’t get worried J I can’t wait until you finish the first chapter.




User avatar
8 Reviews


Points: 707
Reviews: 8

Donate
Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:34 pm
ThePowerOutage wrote a review...



Hi! I like this story line but not so much the writing. You should try again from scratch using all the critique here. Then post you new version! I can't wait for the next installment. :elephant: :elephant: :elephant: :elephant: :elephant: :elephant: :elephant:




User avatar
216 Reviews


Points: 9593
Reviews: 216

Donate
Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:02 pm
asxz wrote a review...



smexaykko1 wrote:As I walked down the abandoned, overgrown street, I could hear the roars and screeching of the once 'so-called' (1) animals, but now blood thirsty and flesh eating monsters that roam the street. I kept my distance from the minor animals like mice, rabbits and cats that I see every now and then, feeding on the body’s of the infected humans.
Ever since my family had died, and same as everyone elseI have felt hollow… (2) like there was no point in me even being here. I mean; sure I see some humans wondering around here every once in a while but they are usually infected and dying, so I try not to get to close to them.
As I walked, down the pathway of the street (3) I spied myself in the reflection of the glass in one of the empty shops. (4) I wore my tight skinny jeans with my old turquoise tank top. In one of my long black flat boots I kept my dagger, in case I had any problems with the Infected. I smoothed down my long golden brown hair that was tied up in a high ponytail. (5)



Okay, so I haven't got much time here, but this is a shoryt piece, so that's all G.

First, there are a few things about this story that seem... odd. I think it's your working for most of it, so I'll go through and fix that up.

(1) You don't need 'so called' there. It feels like a pesky adjective. I get what you mean, trying to show and not tell by adding extra descriptions, but you've already put that in the next part of the sentence. I think it would be better as: ...screaching of what once were animals...
Better flow? That's something that I usually have trouble with, but I think it helps of you read the story aloud - like poetry, words are meant to be spoken, and it will sound better of you fiddle around with these things. Also, it will benefit you as a writer, becuase you'll eventually get the flow of things naturally.
Like I said, I'm still having trouble, so you should start now!

(2) This sounds... odd. Again, sorry. Its just... I think you would benefit without the extra words there. Ever since my family died, I've felt like there's no reason not to join them??? Double negetive, perhaps?

(3) Yeah, again, here you don't need any more words. I know it seems like you're setting back your word count at first, but then you realise that you didn't need them... quality over quantity. Here, we already know that you're walking down the street, so it hardly matters that you're on the footpath or not.
In fact, to me, I think it's better when you're walking down the middle. It seems like everything's gone haywire, and there's no point in obeying the road rules anymore, because no-one's fit enough to drive cars.

(4)Again, the sentance before the (4) seems a little odd. It would almost be a great oportunity to add in some detail! "I spied myself in one of the cracked windows, my reflection dancing from jagged end to jagged end."

(5) If there really was an apocolypse, then she woulnd't have nice hair. Maybe she hasn't gone home for a few days. Maybe she's never left home for a few days. Either way, she probably wouldn't care about how things look when she's running away from zombies.

And... last thing. Staring away from a person dying from the infection is a great idea, but if that ever happens, you should stay in your own house and avoid human contact. That's because the spores are what's dangerous, and these are in the air. Actually, it's not spores, but pathogens, airporn viruses that feed on the living.

Hope I was of help!




User avatar
553 Reviews


Points: 58538
Reviews: 553

Donate
Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:53 pm
MiaParamore wrote a review...



This seems so much like I Am Ledgend... and as i said before, you need to add more.


I completely agree with Biffle. Why everyone here is after Will Smith starrer? :xd:




User avatar
77 Reviews


Points: 9561
Reviews: 77

Donate
Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:25 am
whatevr says...



This seems so much like I Am Ledgend... and as i said before, you need to add more. Just because I know you personally, I'm gonna say this: HURRY UP AND FINISH THIS CHAPTER. you always give up on things........

xD

olli




User avatar
553 Reviews


Points: 58538
Reviews: 553

Donate
Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:15 am
MiaParamore says...



It was not well-written but you have a good story. I would like to see where it goes from here. Maybe you should read the piece once more. You will find some confusing and senseless sentences.




User avatar
111 Reviews


Points: 10691
Reviews: 111

Donate
Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:19 pm
Way2Dawn wrote a review...



Seems like it will be in interesting story, given this first chapter, and one I will follow. As a review I would advise putting more imagery in your beginning chapter. To get readers to feel like they're there is a great way to start off such a story as this. Good job on everything else including the girls description. Good luck on future writing!




User avatar
57 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 57

Donate
Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:10 pm
Wariofart wrote a review...



Smexaykk01 wrote:As I walked down the abandoned, over grown street, I could hear the roars and screeching of the once so called animals but now blood thirsty and flesh eating monsters that roam the street.

Run on sentence here, and is giving too much information. Try splitting it up, and adding more description.

Smexaykk01 wrote:Ever since my family had died and same as everyone else I have felt hollow… like there was no point in me even being here, I mean sure I see some humans wondering around here every once in a while but they are usually infected and dying, so I try not to get to close to them.

Another run-on sentence. Also, reorganize the first part of your sentence, the 'and' feels out of place. You had a bit of emotion here, but you should describe how the dying people look like, act like, maybe what they say to her.

The last part description part was good because you slowed down. Try writing 1000 or so words next time, and post again. If you work on your description this could be really good! (I've had the same problem, so don't worry too much)




User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 5335
Reviews: 25

Donate
Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:56 pm
Smexaykk01 says...



jerichofiction wrote:I haven't read enough into it to enjoy it yet,but please write more,and I shall follow. I presume this is a girl,considering you are one?

Yes, it is a girl... but you have to read my prologue to get it.

Smexay




User avatar


Points: 1636
Reviews: 1

Donate
Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:49 am
jerichofiction says...



I haven't read enough into it to enjoy it yet,but please write more,and I shall follow. I presume this is a girl,considering you are one?




User avatar
77 Reviews


Points: 9561
Reviews: 77

Donate
Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:09 am
whatevr wrote a review...



In some places there are info dumps. Try to describe necessary things like the girls emotions, not just the blatant actions. Also, like me, you need to show us what you are describing. Not tell. But all in all I liked the start. Yo left the scene open and you need more... Thanks.

Olli





"Do not try to be pretty. You weren't meant to be pretty; you were meant to burn down the earth and graffiti the sky. Don't let anyone ever simplify you to just 'pretty'"
— Suzanne Rivard