My Spanish Story which is currently unnamed.

by RomanceWriter

Dedications:

In Memory of Victoria Richards my cousin who first got me started writing. I miss you dearly.

And for my dear friend Shannon Wright who first got started with reading my stories with this one. We spent may days in seminar plotting what would happen with this story.

Prologue

When Rachel's parent's told her that the family would be vacationing in Spain that summer she was both excited and hesitant.

“What about my dancing?” She asked. Dancing was her passion and she had been in dance classes since before she could remember.

“We checked, there are plenty of dance studios in Barcelona where you can practice.” Her dad said sounding amused.

“We don't want that to be the only think you do though. We will be on vacation after all.” Her mom pointed out. Rachel put her fork down beside her dinner plate.

“How long will we be there?” She asked as she leaned back against her chair.

“About two months. We leave the afternoon you get out of school for the summer.” Her mother informed her.

“Alright. It sounds fun.” She said smiling but inside she wasn't so sure. She had planned on working with her dance partner that summer. She knew she was going to college for dance and she'd need to step up her game to do well.

“Are you sure? We know you were planning on working with James a lot this summer, but I think this vacation will be good for you.” Her dad said sounding hopeful.

“It's fine. I was just going to be conditioning. I guess I can do that in Spain as well as I can here.” She said.

“Honey you were already accepted at Northwestern. Don't run yourself into the ground.” Her dad advised.

“She knows what it takes. After all she has been dancing practically since she could walk.” Her mother said with a smile before giving her hand a light squeeze. That night Rachel lay in bed wondering what Spain would be like.

Rachel slept for most of the flight into Barcelona. She only woke up when her mother was shaking her awake to tell her the were landing. It didn't take long to get their luggage and before she knew it their taxi was pulling up to a hotel. They all went inside while their luggage was unloaded from the trunk. At the check in desk a girl who looked only a few years older then her checked them in and Rachel was pleasantly surprised to learn that she would have her own room. They rode up in the elevator with a bellhop who pushed a cart carrying their luggage. Her room had a balcony looking out onto a pool. She decided quickly that it would be nice to go for a swim. Once she had her luggage and the bellhop was gone she unpacked her clothes and put most into the dresser before changing into her bikini, grabbing a towel, and going down to the pool. There were other people her age there, but most of them were tanning. She put her things down on one of the lounges, but as she was about to go into the water a guy around her own age sat down beside her.

“I haven't seen you down here. You must have just gotten here.” He said with a warm smile. Rachel looked over at him and had to admit she was impressed. He was attractive in a very stereotypical way. Blond hair, blue eyed, good looking, tanned, muscular guy.

“My parents and I just checked in a little while ago.” She explained not sure quite what to think of him.

“So you are new? I'm Thomas Edwards by the way.” He said as she extended his hand towards her.

“I'm Rachel Williamson. Nice to meet you.” She replied as she shook his hand.

“Well Rachel it is good to meet you. Why don't you come sit with me and my friends?” He offered as he pointed to a group of teenagers a short distance away.

“Sure. I don't see why not.” She said as she grabbed her towel and walked with him over to his friends. She could feel all of them watching her. She hoped they didn't find fault with her. She nervously checked to make sure her long brown hair was secure in it's ponytail. When they sat down and Thomas introduced her to everyone they all smiled at her politely, but she wasn't sure they were really happy to meet her.

“Let me just say. You have a great bod.” One of the guys in the group complimented her. She blushed and looked at everyone in the group as they all looked like they agreed.

“Thank you. Dance keeps me in pretty good shape.” She said in explination. She was surprised at how blunt the guy had been.

“A dancer. That's interesting. Maybe I could take you to one of the clubs and show you some spanish dancing.” Thomas said after looking meanly at the other guy.

“Maybe sometime. I am only here for two months of vacation.” She admitted.

“Where are you from?” A pretty little blonde girl asked.

“I'm form Omaha, Nebraska. What about all of you?” She asked.

“We all live here in Barcelona.” Thomas said. “Our parents work in some of the businesses who have a major hub here.”

“That must be nice.” She said not knowing what else to say. She wasn't quite sure what to make of them. She sat there for a long time talking with them. Then she realized she had been there for a few hours and her parents would be ready to go to dinner. “I have to go. It was nice meeting you all” She admitted before standing up to leave.

“I'll walk you to your room.” Thomas offered. When they reached her room he stopped her before she entered. “How about you let me take you out tomorrow?” He asked. She hesitated. She did not really know him. Just them her father came out and saw them.

“I was just going to come see if you were ready for dinner.” He explained.

“I just came back up. I went down to the pool.” She said before motioning to Thomas. “Dad this is Thomas Edwards. He lives here in Barcelona.”

“How nice. It's good to meet you.” Her father said as he shook Thomas' hand.

“Nice to meet you too sir. I was just asking Rachel here if I could take her out tomorrow night. Some friends and I like to go out dancing and I thought it may be something she would like.” Thomas said.

“That sounds like something she may like. It's really up to her though.” Her father said in reply before both of them looked at her.

“What do you say? Would you want to go?” Thomas asked sounding hopeful.

“I guess so. I don't see why now.” She answered feeling slightly uneasy since she didn't know him really.

“It's a date them.” Thomas said smiling.

The next night Rachel put on her favorite sundress and had just finished curling her hair wen there was a knock at the door. She answered it with a smie.

“You look great.” Thomas complimented immediately before she could even say hello.

“Thanks you. You look pretty good too.” She replied. Thomas was dressed in a polo and cargo shorts.

“Well thanks.” He said with a laugh. “Are you ready to go?”

“Yeah. Just let me grab my room key and purse real quick.” She replied. She did so and them they left after stopping to remind her parents where she was going. When they go to the club Rachel had to admit, she loved it. There was a large dance floor that seemed to be packed. The atmosphere seemed very relaxed. Thomas led her to a booth and they sat down. They st there talking till some of Thomas' friends showed up. She didn't feel really comfortable with them so she went to get a drink. When she turned around with drink in hand she ran straight into someone and her drink spilt on both of them as the plastic cup clattered to the floor. She looked up to apologize and found herself looking at very handsome spanish man. His eyes which looked shocked were emerald green. He had curly black hair that looked very soft,

“I am really sorry.” He said, bringing her out of her thoughts.

“It's fine. Accidents happen.” She said.

“Let me buy you another. I insist.” He said. She only thought about it for a moment.

“Alright. Thank you.” She said as he led her over to get another drink.

“My name is Bernado Martinez by the way.” He said as they waited for their drinks.

“I'm Rachel Williamson.” She said as she shook his hand.

“So where are you from?” He asked as their drinks came and he handed her her cup. He leaned against the bar as he waited for her reply.

“Omaha, Nebraska. My parents and I are on vacation for two months.” She said sitting down on a stool beside him before taking a sip of her coke. “What about you?”

“Barcelona. Born and raised.” He said with pride. “So why don't you tel me about yourself?”

“Like what? I am a dancer. I am planning to go to college for it this fall.” She said.

“A dancer. Nice. What style?” He asked.

“Mostly ballet. Though my mother swears I can dance to about anything.” She said with a smile.

“Well then let's see you dance.” He said as she took the cup from her hand and pulled her up from her chair. “Come dance with me.” He suggested. The song happened to be ending as he led her out on the dance floor. She was surprised at how naturally it felt dancing with him. She felt more comfortable even then when she danced with James, and he had been her partner since she had started dance. When the song ended she found herself smiling widely.

“That was such fun.” She told him. Suddenly she noticed Thomas walking towards her. “Oh now.” She whispered.

“What is it?” Bernado asked.

“My date.” She said as Thomas reached them.

“Rachel I was wondering where you had gotten off to. I thought you were getting a drink.” He said, his smile obviously forced.

“I was, but on my way back I ran into Bernado. Literally. He bought me another and we ended up dancing.” She said in explanation.

“Alright. Well I think I should be getting you home.” Thomas said.

“Ok.” She said. It was still early. She wondered why Thomas wanted to leave. “It was good to meet you. Thanks for the drink.” She said to Bernado. Then once Rachel had her purse they went out to Thomas' car. Her mind drifted off as they drove, but she was snapped back to reality when Thomas pulled into a side street and stopped. “What are we doing here? I thought we were going home.”

“I think you know.” He said before kissing her. She let him until his hand slid beneath her skirt. She pulled away.

“What the hell Thomas?” She demanded as she removed his hand.

“Rachel come on.” He said as he tried to pull her to him. She pushed him away.

“No. If you think I am going to have sex with you the answer is no. That is what this is about isn't it? You just wanted to get in my pants.” She said disgusted.

“Would you have said no to the spaniard?” He demanded as he grabbed her arm to pull her closer. She quickly smacked her across the face and got out of the car and started walking away. Thomas opened the door and yelled after her.

“God dammit it Rachel. Come Back. I'll take you back. This isn't the best part of the city.”

“I'd rather walk then ride with you.” She said without looking back.

Within the next 15 minutes she was hopelessly lost. She was defiantly in a bad part of town and she really just wanted to go back to the hotel and sleep.

“You lost honey?” A man standing outside a bar asked as she walked past him. When she didn't reply he reached for her. “Come on. I'll take you home honey.” He teased.

“Let go of me.” She said as she tried to get free. This evening was certainly not turning out well. Suddenly she heard someone say something in spanish and surprisingly the man released her. She turned around to see Bernado.

“Rachel? What are you doing here?” He asked when he recognized her. She didn't think she had ever been so happy to see anyone in her life.

“I got lost . . .” She began to say.

“What happened to your date?” He asked as he lead her away form the other man.

“He turned out to be a complete ass who only wanted in my pants. I decided to walk back to our hotel and got lost.” She said.

“If you want to I can walk you to your hotel.” He offered. “Where are you staying?” She told him and he took her arm, leading the way. It didn't seem like it had been that long when they reached her room.

“Thank you for helping me. I did enjoy meeting and dancing with you.”

“I enjoyed it too. Well good night.” He said with a smile and she went into her room and went to bed.

*****

The next time she saw Bernado was two days later. She was drying off from a swim. She saw him walking towards her and could hardly believe he was there.

“Hello Rachel. Could I talk to you?” He asked sounding unsure.

“Of course.” She said as she put on her cover up over her still damp bikini. They walked to a secluded bench in a nearby courtyard to talk. “What's up?”

“I know this is going to sound corny, but I can't stop thinking about you. The way our bodies moved together when we danced. It was amazing.” He said.

“It felt so natural.” She agreed.

“I honestly would like to know you better. So how would you feel about going to dinner with me?” He asked in a rush which made him sound nervous. She found it adorable. However before she could reply Thomas came around the corner. She had been trying to avoid him. When he noticed Bernado she saw his jaw clench.

“What is he doing here?” Thomas demanded.

“What do you want?” She asked ignoring his question.

“I wanted to talk. Why is he here?” Thomas replied.

“None of your damn business.” Bernado said sounding irritated.

“You stay our of this you asshole.” Thomas said.

“Funny Thomas. The only asshole I see around here is you.” Rachel said.

“Rachel just come talk to me.” Thomas said.

“I honestly do not want to hear anything you have to say.” She said as she turned away. Thomas grabbed her arm, but Bernado pulled his hand off her.

“What part of she doesn't want anything to do with you don't you understand?” Bernado said.

“Bernado let it go. He isn't worth it.” Rachel said.

“You're lucky she's here.” Bernado said. Then Rachel was leading him away.

That night Bernado took Rachel out to eat. Most of the meal was spent learning about each other. She learned that he worked in a shop helping to repair cars. His father had died when he was very young so his mother had raised him and his two sisters alone, because he had grown up aorund women he had learned early on to treat women right or God help him. He learned that she had a deep passion for dance and always spoke her mind, but respectfully. She had been best friends with her dance partner James for a long time and he was fiercely protective of her. When they got back to her room that night she expect her parents to come out of their room and demand to know who he was.

“Thanks for tonight. It was really fun.” She said as she got her key out of her purse.

“My pleasure. Maybe we could go out again sometime.” He said casually.

“I'd like that.” She said. Then she told him goodnight and went into her room.

*****

Rachel woke up the next morning to her parents knocking on her door. She threw a robe on over her pajamas to answer it.

“I'm up.” She said once the door was open.

“We are going down to breakfast. You can join us if you want.” Her mother said.

“I'll be fine. I will just set some coffee in my room.” Rachel said with a smile. Once she was alone again she did her usual basic exercises before going down to the pool for a swim. Then she showered and met her parents for a late lunch. She ordered a small salad and sat there listening to her parents, only occasionally joining in the conversation. Once she finished eating her parents let her leave. She was walking across the lobby when the concierge came over to her and handed her a rose and an envelope.

“A young man asked me to give this to you.” He said.

“Thank you.” She said with a smile as she opened the envelope and pulled out a piece of paper. When she read it she smiled.

Rachel,

Go out to the courtyard. There is a surprise for you.

-Bernado

She went out to the courtyard and at first thought she was alone, but then she turned aroudn to find Bernado. He was holding another rose, but instead of being dressed up like one might expect he was wearing jeans, a t-shirt, and tennis shoes.

“What are you doing here?” She asked with a smile as she walked over to him.

“I wanted to see you again.” He admitted as he handed her the other rose. “Do you have any plans for tonight? My family is having a gathering and they all would like to meet you.” Rachel hesitated. There was a big jump between spending time with him and meeting his family.

“I don't know of anything, but won't it be awkward to introduce your family to a girl you barely know?” She asked.

“I wouldn't normally ask, but I feel like I already know you.” She said looking nervous.

*****

About an hour later Rachel was following Bernado into his house. A little girl ran up to them as they entered and Bernado picked her up.

“Rachel this is my little sister Gabriella.” Bernado said happily.

“Is this the pretty girl you told us about?” The little girl asked.

“Yes it is. Where is mama?” Bernado asked.

“With Yolanda in the kitchen.” She answered. Bernado sat Gabriella down before taking Rachel's hand and leading her into the kitchen. Two women were sitting there talking in spanish. Th younger looked to be in her 20's and the older who Rachel assumed was Bernado's mother she judged in be in her 40's.

“Mama I'm back.” He said drawing their attention. The older woman looked over to them and Rachel noticed she was looking her over.

“She's too skinny.” She commented. “Pretty though.”

“Mama this is Rachel. Rachel this is my mother and that is my sister Yolanda.” He said in introduction. Yolanda waved to her and Rachel couldn't help smiling. Other then the comment on her being too skinny they all seemed wonderful.

“It is nice to meet all of you.” Rachel said unsure of what else she could say.

“Nice to meet you too. Bernado had been telling us about you.” Yolanda said as she came over to them.

“He has has he?” Rachel asked as she looked at Bernado. He just shrugged as if saying 'can you blame me?'

“Yes. Most of what he's said the past few days are about you. How beautiful you are, how you're a dancer, things like that.” Yolanda said. Bernado looked embarrassed.

“Thank you Yolanda. Now my date is going to think I'm obsessed with her.” Bernado said.

“No problem at all little brother.” Yolanda said as she patted him on the back while going to answer a knock at the door. More of Bernado's family arrived throughout the evening. She had a wonderful time and actually felt quite comfortable with them. Once people started to leave he took her back to the hotel.

“Your family was wonderful.” She said as they stopped outside the door.

“More like embarrassing.” He commented.

“No it was fun. I enjoyed it.” She assured him.

“I'm glad. Well good night.” He said. Then he gave her a light kiss before leaving. She went inside her room with a smile on her face.

“And where have you been young lady?” She heard her mother ask.

Her parents were sitting on her bed watching her as they waited for her to reply.

“I went out. I figured it wouldn't be a big deal.” She said.

“We didn't know where or who you were with.” Her father said.

“Who were you with?” Her mother asked. “Was it a boy?”

“Yes I was a boy. The same one I was with last night. His name is Bernado . . .” She said before her mother interupted.

“I thought you liked that Thomas.” Her mother said.

“Thomas was an ass who only wanted to get in my pants. Bernado is sweet.” She said.

“How can you know this boy? After all we have only been here for five days.” Her father pointed out.

“Where were the two of you?” Her mother asked.

“Oh for the love of God mom. He took me to his house to meet his family. Stop freaking out.” She said. Then she turned towards her dad. “I met him at the club Thomas took me too. I ran into him quite literally. I spilt my drink in the process, he bought me another, and we danced.” Her parents didn't seem to know what to say.

“You could have at least told us you were going out.” Her father scolded.

“You're going to have to get used to not knowing my every move.” She pointed out.

“For now though you need to tell us when you're going out. Especially with strange boys.” Her mom said.

“You didn't think it was strange when I went out with Thomas. You shouldn't judge Bernado when you don't even know him.” Rachel said defensively.

“I think we should go back to our room. We know she's safe after all.” Her father said to her mother. She nodded and left Rachel alone to think.

*****

The next few weeks Rachel avoided her parents as much as possible. Most of her time she spent with Bernado. Sometimes at his house and other at the shop where he worked. The only time she really spent with her parents was at dinner. Bernado was never discussed. That is until one night. They were eating in relative silence as usual until her mom asked her about a bracelet she was wearing.

“That's a pretty bracelet. I don't remember seeing it before though.” Her mother said.

“Bernado gave it too me just today.” Rachel said honestly as she looked at the bracelet. It was a simple chain with a charm in the shape of a star hanging from it that had a rhinestone in the center.

“I think it's about time we meet this boy. I mean you spend most every waking moment with him.” Her mother said.

“I think I have to agree with your mother on this one.” Her dad said. “It's about time we meet this Bernado.”

“Alright.” She said sounding hesitant. Just then one of the concierges cam over to her.

“The young man is here to see you again.” He said. Rachel was surprised. She and Bernado didn't have a date that night that she remembered. She got up and followed the concierge out into the lobby where she could see Bernado waiting, looking quite uncomfortable. However when he saw her he smiled and walked towards her.

“What are you doing here?” She asked after they quickly kissed.

“I missed you.” He said. She couldn't help laughing.

“It's only been an hour since we last saw each other.” She said momentarily forgetting that her parents were still in the hotel dining room waiting for them. He just shrugged and continued smiling. Then they heard someone clearing their throat behind them. She turned to see her parents standign there watching them from a short distance away. “Come meet my parents.” She said taking his hand in hers.

“They don't look like they want to meet me.” He said on the way over to her parents. She squeezed his hand for encouragment.

“Mom, Dad this is Bernado Martinez. Bernado these are my parents.” She said in introduction. Both her parents said hello and her father shook his hand.

“So you're the young man our daughter has been spending so much time with? It's nice to finally meet you.” Her father said.

“Nice to meet you as well.” Bernado said.

“Perhaps you could have dinner with us tomorrow night.” Her mother offered.

“I would like that, but unfortunately I can't. It's my sister's birthday tomorrow and I promised her I'd be there. Maybe the day after.” Bernado said uncomfortably.

“Sure.” Her mother said.

“Speaking of tomorrow I meant to tell you guys I was planning to go to Bernado's for the party. Is that alright?” Rachel asked. Suddenly hesitant of weather her parents would let her go.

“I don't see why not.” Her father said.

The next day Bernado picked her up when he got off work to take her to his house. Once there she sat with his family while he showered. She liked his family. His mother was honest, but kind. His little sister was absolutely precious and his older sister Rachel absolutely adored. She was having a delightful conversation with Yolanda when Bernado came up being her and wrapped his arms around her waist. Bernado's mother said something in spanish and he let go of her as Yolanda attempted not ot laugh, but failed.

“What did she say?” Rachel asked. Bernado was laughing as he lightly kissed her before answering.

“Something about us giving her grand babies.” Bernado managed to say.

“Oh. Is that a good or bad thing?” She asked.

“Good for sure. What she basically said was that she thinks you and Bernado will give her beautiful grand babies.” Yolanda explained. Rachel had to laugh. Then Gabriella came into the room.

“There's the birthday girl.” Bernado said. Then he picked her up and put her onto his back before running around the room. Which made everyone laugh. Shortly after more family started arriving and the party began. Most of the way through the evening Bernado took her hand and instructed her to follow him. They had been out on the patio with his family and they went into the house. In the kitchen actually. He kissed her after pulling her against him and backing up against the counter.

“I love you.” She whispered once they broke the kiss.

“I love you too. You look beautiful tonight by the way if you haven't told you.” He said.

“And what do I look like normally then?” She teased as she leaned against him and lookup into his eyes.

“You're always beautiful. You just look extra beautiful tonight.” He said. He ran his hands up her back and let them rest in her hair as he kissed her again. Suddenly Rachel felt a tug on the skirt of her sundress. They pulled apart and found Gabriella standing there.

“Rachel are you going to marry Bernado and be my sister? Yolanda and mama have been teasing him about it.” She asked. Bernado laughed and Rachel couldn't help smiling.

“I don't know. I guess we'll have to see won't we?” Rachel said indulging the little girl.

“Well I need to take Rachel home now. So why don't you say good night Gabriella.” Bernado said. Rachel and Gabriella told each other good night then they left.

*****

When Rachel woke up the next morning she had a feeling something would happen that day. She wasn't sure why she thought it. She just did. Eventually she decided it must just be nerves over Bernado having dinner with them that night. By the time they were all eating dinner she had completely forgotten about her uneasiness that morning.

“So do you work?” Her father asked Bernado shortly after they all sat down.

“Yes. I work at a shop repairing cars.” Bernado admitted. Her parents kept asking him questions for most of the night. Then he noticed the small dance floor and he asked her to dance. It happened to be a fast song and when they were walking back her parents were obviously strained.

“Why don't you tell Bernado good night darling.” Her mother said. Rachel reluctantly did so. She knew when her parents were on their last nerve and she shouldn't push her luck. Once Bernado left, her parents led her upstairs to her room to yell at her. Her mother ranted at her for near half an hour before they left her room. She wanted to cry herself to sleep.

*****

When she woke up the next morning she was drinking her coffee when there was a knock at her door. She answered it to find her mother standing there.

“You need to start packing things. We are flying home tomorrow.” Her mother said.

“What do you mean? We still have another mouth.” Rachel said not believeing what she was hearing.

“Your father and I talked about it last night and we decided to go home early.” Her mother said before turning to walk away.

“I'm not going back.” Rachel suddenly said.

“Oh yes you are.” Her mother called over her shoulder. Rachel was already dressed so she dressed her key and rushed to the shop where Bernado worked. When she found him he was leaning over an engine working on it.

“I need to talk to you.” She insisted. He looked up at her and smiled before noticing she was upset.

“What's wrong?” He asked as he wiped off his hands.

“We're leaving tomorrow. They decided last night.” She said.

“What? No. You are supposed to be here for another month.” He blurted out.

“I don't want to go back. I don't want to leave you.” She said trying not to cry. He pulled her against him.

“We'll figure something out.” He promised. She started crying. She knew she would have to leave even if all she really wanted was to stay with him.

They spent that entire day together. When he explained to his boss Bernado was given the rest of the day off. They went back to his house and lay around most of the day. They ended up making love and as they lay there afterwards she fingered the necklace he always wore.

“I'm gonna miss you.” She said.

“I will come find you. I swear.” He said kissing her forehead. She sat up and pulled up the sheet to cover her chest. He sat up too and lightly kissed her neck before taking off the necklace and clasping it around her neck. She looked at the clock and realized it was early the next morning and she had to go back. The whole flight home she thought about Bernado. She already missed him.

*****

“What's wrong with you?” James asked a week later brining her thought back to the present.

“What do you mean?” She asked.

“Oh come on. You haven't heard a word I've said since you got back form Spain. Something is obviously wrong. I know you better than anyone. You can't fool me.” He said.

“It's nothing.” She lied.

“Liar. Tell me. Is it a guy? I can go ape shit on his ass if you want.” He offered.

“Don't you even think about hurting Bernado.” She exclaimed.

“So it is a guy. Tell me about him.” He said as he pulled her down to sit on the floor.

“Mom and Dad hated him. That's why we came home early. We met at a club when I literally ran into him and split my drink all over both of us.” She said as she fiddled with the necklace he had given her.

“So you fell in love with a spaniard? Nice!” James said. There was a knock at the door and they both looked up to see Bernado standing in the doorway.

“Bernado!” She said as she stood up and ran to him. He met her halfway across the room and pulled her into his arms and kissed her. “How did you find me?” She asked.

“You left me your address and I went to the nearest dance dance studio looking for you.” He said.

“So is this the guy?” James asked reminding them that he was still there.

“Yes. James this is Bernado.” She said.

“So you're her dance partner? She mentioned you.” Bernado said in greeting.

“Oh she did now? Well I will leave you two be.” James said as he went to grab his stuff from the corner. “Just remember they do have cameras in here Rach. Watch yourself.” He continued with a wink. Rachel couldn't help laughing.

“So when did you get in?” She asked.

“Only about an hour ago. I'm only here til tomorrow.” He told her. “But I did swear I'd find you.”

“God, I've missed you so much.” She said as she hugged him.

“I've missed you too.” He said laughing. “We should go do something.”

“We could go to my house. Mom and Dad went out to lunch so we should have some peace.” She said. They went to her house and put on a movie. She laid back against him and he wrapped his arms around her. They got about halfway through the movie before her parents got home. When they saw Bernado they didn't seem to know what to do.

“We weren't expecting you here.” Her mother said uneasily.

“I came hoping to surprise Rachel.” He said.

“It looks like you certainly did that.” Her father said, who seemed to be more pleased to see Bernado there then her mother was.

“Well that wasn't the only reason.” Bernado admitted.

“How long are you here?” He mother asked.

“Just till tomorrow.” He admitted.

“So you came just long enough to break my daughter's heart when you leave.” Her mother said defensively.

“You made me leave him in Spain Mom. So you have no right to lecture.” Rachel said defensively. She heard her mother gasp.

“Well I have a feeling you will want to talk about this so I will just go back to my hotel.” Bernado said before kissing her and leaving.

“What are you thinking? You are going to college in a few weeks. You need to get serious.” Her mother said as soon as Bernado was out the door.

“I am serious. I just love Bernado.” She proclaimed.

“I just don't want you too throw your life away form some guy.” Her mother said.

“Just because you left you dancing career for dad doesn't mean I am going to give up dance for Bernado.” Rachel said. Then she walked out of the apartment to catch up with Bernado. Which she did in the lobby. She ended up staying with him the rest of the day. And during dinner he took her hand in his to get her attention.

“What is it?” She asked.

“I think it's time I admit the main reason I am here.” He said.

“Alright shoot.” She said. He knelt down on one knee in front of her and she gasped.

“ I love you more than anything in the world. You know that. So will you marry me?” He asked before reaching into his pocket and pulling out a plain gold band with a single diamond and it was the most beautiful one she had ever seen.

“Yes. Of course I will.” She said breathlessly. “How are we going to do this?” She asked as she admired how the ring looked on her finger a little while later.

“We can wait if you want.” He suggested. She thought for a moment then shook her head.

“No. I don't want to be apart again. Especially when we're engaged.” She said.

“Are you saying you want to move to Barcelona?” He asked happily. She just nodded. “What about going to Northwestern for dance?” He asked.

“That was mom's dream. I'm following mine.” She said.

“Alright. Then I guess I will go to the airport and try to get you a ticket. You go home to pack.” He said. “I will meet you back here in like two hours.

When Rachel got back to her house she headed straight to her room to pack. Her parents didn't say anything. She was just finishing packing when her mother appeared at the door.

“What are you doing? You aren't leaving for Northwestern for a few more wees.” Her mother teased.

“I'm not going to Northwestern.” She said as she zipped up her last bag.

“What? But it's your dream.” Her mother said.

“No mom it was your dream. I'm not doing it.” She said angrily.

“Why are you packing then?” Her mom asked sounding like she'd already guessed.

“I'm going back to Barcelona with Bernado.” She said.

“You're leaving for a boy?” Her mother practically yelled.

“The boy you are talking about happens to be my fiancee.” Rachel said thrusting our her hand.

“Do you even know what you're doing?” Her mom asked.

“Yes I do. I'm following my heart.” She said. Then she was gone and on her way.

*****

Bernado wasn't back yet so she decided to get some sleep and laid down in the hotel bed. She woke up a few hours later to him lightly shaking her awake.

“It's time to leave to catch our flight.” He said. She reluctantly sat up.

“How long have I been asleep?” She asked running her fingers through her hair.

“Probably about 8 or 9 hours.” He admitted.

“Why didn't you wake me up when you got back?” She asked.

“I wanted to let you sleep. We both needed sleep.” He said. Then she noticed his hair was wet. Which hinted that he had had time to shower.

“How long have you been awake?”

“About an hour I guess.” He admitted. Then he quickly kissed her.

“You should have woken me up.” She insisted.

“Anyway. I did manage to get you a ticket, but in the row behind me.” He said.

“It could be worse. At least we'll be near each other.” She said.

“Not if we don't hurry up and get headed to the airport.” He said. The drive to the airport was pretty quiet and so was the process of going through security and customs. When they boarded the flight they found their seats fairly easily. When the woman who was supposed to sit beside Bernado found out they were engaged she offered to trade seats with Rachel and she accepted the offer. Rachel ended up falling asleep leaning against Bernado and woke up about an hour later. Once they landed they went into the terminal where Yolanda was waiting.

“It is good to see you again. Especially now since you and my brother are going to be married.” She said. Rachel laughed.

“Yes I am going to marry your brother. I guess Gabriella figured it out before any of us did.” Rachel said. They all laughed at that.

“Well I think it is about time we headed home.” Bernado pointed out.

*****

The wedding planning started the next day. All the plans went smoothly and quickly. Three moths later the ceremony was held in a small church nearby. When the doors leading into the chapel opened and she saw Bernado's face it was all worth the months of planning. He was looking at her like he could hardly believe she was there to marry him. They said their vows and were pronounced man and wife. Rachel could not remember ever being happier. At the reception James surprised her. The only thing that could have made the night even better would have been to have her parents there. That night the last thing she heard was Bernado saying. “I don't think I will ever be happier then I am tonight.”

*****

Six months later Rachel was sitting in the bedroom of their recently finished house looking at the pregnancy test. She was happy, but it had not fully sank in yet.

“Are you alright?” Bernado asked, having just gotten home form work. She smiled up at him and handed him the pregnancy test. She could tell the moment the truth sank in because his expression went from concerned to overjoyed.

“We're having a baby.” She exclaimed. Bernado nodded and pulled her into his arms.

“I thought the dat we married that I could never be happier then I was that day, but here you went and proved me wrong.” He said. 9 months later, on the day their first child was born, Rachel finally made up with her parents.

The End

Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:57 pm
thelonewriter wrote a review...

Hi Romance Writer! You have a seemingly interesting story and some good characters which is good. You do have some spelling errors you need to fix. For example, the word that is not spelled d-a-t. Also, the name Bernardo is not spelled B-e-r-n-a-d-o. You also need to slow down on your writing because whoever is reading this will be confused on where your at in the story. I mean, you shifted from Rachel telling Bernardo she's pregnant to her giving birth and making up with her parents. But it's going somewhere, it just needs a little bit of work.

Your Friend,
The Lone Writer

RomanceWriter says...

Sorry guys I accidentally clicked the theatre category. This really doesn't have anything to do with a theatre.

"For a short space of time I remained at the window watching the pallid lightnings that played above Mont Blanc and listening to the rushing of the Arve, which pursued its noise way beneath. The same lulling sounds acted as a lullaby to my too keen sensations; when I placed my head upon my pillow, sleep crept over me; I felt it as it came and blessed the giver of oblivion."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein