z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language Violence

The Forsaken Race - The Hidden Truth: Chapter 39

by RavenAkuma


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language and violence.

Chapter 39 - Hollow

          

            

When her foot slipped, Kita clung tighter to the wall. She quickly steadied herself before continuing down the curved, dark staircase.

The air was cold and humid, and the smell of old wood and wine had seemingly seeped into the walls. It gave the impression of a cellar, but clearly, something was amiss. A cellar would not need iron hinges and several guards looking after it.

Eventually, Kita reached the bottom, stepping into a wide room. There was one lit entrance in the opposite corner, and the room itself seemed split in half; old, empty barrels were toward the left, while chains and weapon racks hung on the right wall. Light seeped from a cut-out toward the back-right side of the room.

A clatter had become even more audible, and now that she was close, she could hear voices. They were distorted by the awkward acoustics of the room, but all of them were familiar.

With a pit growing in her stomach, Kita slowly approached the entrance, coming at it from the side. She could hear the faint clanking of metal, reminding her of armor, and one voice in particular made her shudder as she recognized it -as a bad omen.

She took a deep breath before finally peering around the corner.

The sight filled her with dread.

The place itself was a short dungeon with only six cells. All of them were open, a complex rune was burnt into the back wall, and a large group of people occupied the space. Most of them were sergeants in their recognizable silver armor and violet-plumed helmets.

However, Seyber and Zin were also among them, their wrists bound. While four guards kept Zin off to the side, Seyber was being held in front of the very one that made Kita nervous.

The prestigious yet insufferable lieutenant, Chiro. There was a hefty sword on his back, but for now, he was holding a dagger. It was hard for Kita to see, as he obscured most of the view, but she was able to tell that Seyber already had some marks from where she had been hit.

Chiro nudged Seyber roughly. "You better get it through your empty skull, demoness. You are not the ones in power here. Now answer our questions, or it will only get worse for you."

"Cut it out!" Zin snapped, struggling in his restraints. "You're just proving our well-known point of how cowardly Hitais really are!"

"Someone shut that damn hyena up!" Chiro snapped.

One of the guards struck Zin in the face, using the pommel of a sword. He slumped to his knees as blood dripped from a deep gash on his cheek.

Kita covered her mouth to choke back a yelp of utter horror, while her eyes filled with tears. While her mind raced to process and understand what she was seeing, her heart responded with raw dread, weighing like a rock in her chest.

"Zin!" Seyber cried.

Suddenly, Chiro unsheathed his sword and thrust it toward her throat. She froze up, trembling as she watched the blade.

"I'm losing patience, vermin," Chiro spoke lowly. "I suggest you start answering me, not your brother."

One guard interfered, "Why don't we just use these two to lure out the alpha and spirit-walker? We should be attacking them."

"No."

Kita heard that voice and felt her soul disconnect from her body.

As the guards shifted around a bit, and Chiro stepped back, it revealed an all-to-familiar woman. She was looking away from the torture, but she was nonetheless there.

Corelia.

Yet Kita was unable to see the queen she knew. There was darkness in her aura, a gray cloud behind her light green eyes; the same thing Kita saw when she talked about the war. There was still no word to put to it, but she knew it carried resentment.

Corelia sighed, "They will come whether we do or don't bait them. The problem is that we don't have the means to defeat them, much less destroy them."

"Our project may change that though," the guard insisted.

"It isn't finished," Corelia responded.

Seyber's eyes narrowed. "What does that mean? Your 'experiments' never work."

"Hah!" Chiro kicked her in the side, making her wince. "That can always change. If you vermin had not destroyed every trace of what we used before the Extinction Battle, we wouldn't have to be doing things this way. Your corrupt 'demon king' should have quit while he was ahead."

"As if you would," Seyber growled.

Corelia crossed her arms. "If his subordinates were to speak, I may be able to set things right. I should add that they'd be making this easier on themselves in the process."

Seyber's ears flattened. "Over my dead body."

Suddenly, with one quick slash of the sword, Seyber's cheek was cut. Chiro used the edge of the blade to force her to look back at him.

"Bad choice of words," he taunted. "The temptation to make them a reality is all too strong."

"Slow down," Corelia argued. She moved in front of Seyber. "Fine, demoness. If you can't say anything about your leaders, maybe you'll open up about something else. This is important enough to even warrant your release."

Seyber gained the faintest spark of hope in her eyes. And though she wanted to hear the answer, the question made Kita feel even worse.

"I'm sure you're more than aware of Kita's situation, so tell me, why is she connected to your tribe? Why were your leaders acting so strangely toward her?"

The spark of hope immediately faded as Seyber spat, "How would we know? Even if one of us found an answer, they didn't share it. You know, if anything, this is something we should be asking you, since you apparently know her so well."

Corelia sighed, "Dammit, this isn't getting us anywhere. I have the weakest demon of the team, and she's just as stubborn as the rest."

"It's because I'm a medic," Seyber retorted. "Feel bold, now?"

Chiro huffed, "Don't try to play innocent, you little monster. I've seen you hacking into sylphs, wearing them down so your beastly comrades can finish them off. You're just as guilty as they are, I don't care what you do on your own time."

Corelia paused to think. "Maybe I could use this to coax an answer out of Leiytning and Thundur. After all, even if Leiytning gets in again, I doubt he'll find them here. He may have no choice but to cooperate."

"That could work..." Chiro smirked, forcing Seyber to look up by pulling her ear roughly. "We all know the demon king has that savior complex, when it comes to his tribe of misfits. Such an idiot."

"How is it idiotic to care about your sister?" Seyber argued, tearing up as her sensitive ear was twisted.

"With a face like this, I'm shocked anyone cares about you," Chiro taunted.

"Chiro, let's not reduce this to schoolyard insults," Corelia said flatly.

"Yes, your majesty," Chiro muttered, releasing Seyber.

"As always, there's one complication in this line of thinking. Whether I place these two right where Leiytning can find them, or keep them hidden, he could cause a lot of damage. Especially if the pressure brings out that thing within him. It already cost us thirteen lives, in one small skirmish from earlier in the day."

Kita looked down, thinking, Thirteen lives? In a matter of what was likely just moments.

She shuddered in silence, almost tempted to retreat. Until she saw Chiro spit down at Seyber, and her anger returned. Then the problem became staying in one place; she wanted to help, but surely, exposing herself wouldn't do anything.

"There's still plenty we can make you sing about," Chiro growled. "And if you keep this up, you'll be delivered back to the hell you belong to."

Seyber gained a taunting smirk. "Don't be too confident about that."

Without warning, Chiro jabbed the end of the sword into Seyber's stomach. She cried out in pain, but the lieutenant pulled the blade back, keeping it raised. Corelia intervened before he struck again, yet there was nothing merciful about her demeanor.

"I think she gets the point. But honestly..." Corelia's eyes narrowed to a cold glare. "What reason have you to fight us so much? Your kind was meant to die ages ago; there is nothing of your tribe left, and the memory fades more with each passing day. Can't you just accept that and move on?"

Seyber retorted, "You should know! You were the ones who started the hunt, and you were there! You saw innocent Zyreans attacked indiscriminately, strung up like livestock, torn apart in cruel experiments, dissected like rats, magic and life essence sucked out of their bodies, and more. You saw all of it; you saw the worst of it, and you did nothing. Then, when you stood at the end of that battle, you were more than willing to continue the fight. Well, there you go; you got what you wished for, and we're not stopping until every vile and soulless Erxina is as dead as your predecessor!"

Corelia glowered down at her. "Your leader was just as determined, in case you forgot. And if you think Sybil was bad, need I bring up Shadow Star?"

"We rebelled!" Seyber snapped. "Leiytning was trying to de-escalate until you ruined ourlives and wiped out our entire tribe! You-!"

Corelia cut her off, her voice sharp as a dagger. "Enough of this. Will you comply, or continue fighting?"

"I already said no," Seyber spat.

Chiro looked irate, clenching one hand into a fist, and Corelia showed no sign of stopping him. Seyber braced for impact.

However, Kita couldn't take anymore.

The levee of self-control shattered like glass. Her subconscious yanked on her with invisible strings, forcing her out of the shadows. She barreled past the two sylphs and threw herself in front of Seyber.

"Don't do this!" She cried.

Corelia suddenly looked horrified, freezing in place. "Kita? What are you doing down here?"

Chiro side-eyed the guards. "Isn't one of you supposed to be guarding the entrance?"

One guard acted very nervous, bowing apologetically, and rushed out of the room.

Kita snapped, "You promised that they wouldn't be hurt, yet you're letting someone torture them! How could you lie to me?" She picked up the dagger, watching it with a troubled look. "Not just about this, but about so much..."

"What do you mean?" Asked Corelia.

"I found your journal!" Kita spat. "I know you lied about pretty much everything! You didn't want to try peaceful tactics, you didn't want things to 'just end,' you just wanted these people dead. Even if Leiytning is some horrible villain, you're doing nothing to separate him from the others!" She gestured to Seyber. "Does this look like a threat to you?!"

Chiro grabbed her by the collar. "It looks like you need to-"

"Don't you dare," Corelia spat, shoving Chiro back.

Kita spoke darkly, "You sent Kodin into the Blood Forest. You admitted you're becoming more violent, over something you know nothing about. You even had the gall to talk about me like I'm so unstable and stupid. All of that, and good gods, what else? You could've lied to me so many times in the past, and even on the story I asked from you. Not only did the Aubades start this after all, but you probably saw these crimes for yourself, like Seyber just said."

"Why are you so stuck on this?" Corelia muttered.

"It's the entire reason this war is going on!" Kita retorted. "This-"

Kita flinched when Corelia jabbed a finger at her, with a stern look she had never seen before -not aimed at her, anyway.

For the first time in Kita's life, Corelia was scaring her.

"Don't speak on what you don't know," she spat. "None of that matters now. What matters is who dies and who lives, period. I know you want us to just shake hands and be done with it, but that's not how this works. We don't live in a fairytale."

Seyber glared up at them. "Why are you here, mortal? We know what you really are."

Kita's voice squeaked as her throat tightened. "Seyber, no. I did contact Corelia, but I was never working for her. And the other night, I was just trying to ensure you all lived..."

As those words slipped out, Seyber didn't seem any calmer, but now she felt the tension looming like smoke as she refocused on the sylphs. Corelia seemed even more annoyed, while Chiro showed no difference as he looked between her and the demons, his gray eyes reflecting pure revulsion and hatred.

"Enough of this," Corelia growled. "I'll not have you poisoning her mind anymore. Kita, for your own good, retreat to your room. You are no longer a part of this..." She sighed, "You're only going to get hurt. Just think of what you have to lose here."

Kita sneered and mumbled, "I don't know what I have anymore. Either way..."

Kita clenched her fist, still holding the dagger. She felt a deep, unknown feeling burning within her core. Adrenaline and instinct were tearing through her veins, her subconscious screaming for her to act.

"Admit it, Corelia. You're a liar, you look down on me, and you don't care about peace. You only care about winning."

"Is that what you think of me? I'm suddenly the tyrant, and these are the heroes? Let me tell you, these beings are not the 'tortured innocents' you think they are. You have been lied to, but it wasn't me who did that."

"Wrong answer," Kita growled.

Kita thrust the dagger at her. However, in a flash, Corelia grabbed her wrist and held it back as if it were nothing. Chiro took on a battle pose.

"You would actually resort to attacking me?" Corelia snapped. "What makes you think that after the several ages I've lived and fought through, I'll just die because you threw a fit?"

Corelia twisted her wrist so the blade was aimed upward, making Kita wince. With her greater height, she was nearly being pulled off the ground, and the grip was so tight that she felt her tendons ready to give. Kita kept struggling, but the rumors were right; despite the queen's elegant appearance, she had the strength of a beast.

"I've done nothing to warrant this from you," Corelia growled. "Even if I did lie about the demons, I never lied about what I was willing to do for you. I took you in when needed, I found you your home, I donated whatever I could, and my entire goal in this ordeal has only been to protect you. Now you cross me over this? A dead tribe, led by a monster? I hope you realize, if this is the course you take, chances say you'll wind up dead too!"

Now the pressure was crushing, like Kita could feel her bone cracking.

For a split second, Kita thought it was over, but then remembered her own silver dagger; it was hidden in her boot.

She hastily unsheathed it and jabbed it at Corelia's hand. The enraged queen let go before it could hit her; Kita immediately ran past her, slipped under Chiro's hasty attempt to grab her, and kept running.

As Kita fled, she called out, "Seyber! I promise I'll fix this!"

With little time to escape, Kita dashed back up the stairs to the main floor. All the while, she could hear the clatter, feel the faint rumble, and see the shifting light of a troupe of guards behind her.

Her heart was pounding at a rate too fast to count, and her lungs felt constrained in her chest, but she hurried ahead. Thankfully, as the hall eventually curved around a courtyard, where the faintest moonlight trickled down amid a steady rain, she was able to gauge where she was before entering another stretch of darkened hallway -but she knew the foyer was just ahead.

However, on the way, she bumped into something that forced her to stumble back. She was about to curse it, until the realization hit.

Yuna was rubbing her shoulder. "Ow! Wait, Kita? Thank gods, we've been looking everywhere for you!"

At her feet, Stud jumped forward and yipped.

Kita barely restrained her tears, unable to reply.

Yuna looked uneasy, her brow furrowed. "Why are you so pale, and why are you running like this?"

"Yuna..." Kita sighed, "I'm sorry I have to do this, but it is the right thing. It doesn't seem that way, especially to you, but it is!"

Yuna gasped and stepped back. "W-Wait, what?"

Kita almost explained, but a guard's sharp command echoed down the hall.

"Please, try to delay them," Kita begged. "I have to get out of here!"

She heard Yuna call her name, and felt the faint gust as she tried to grab her, but Kita evaded and blocked out her voice. Even though she desperately wanted to give her a full explanation, she didn't have the time, and she had to focus.

Kita rushed through the foyer, lit by candlelight in the scones, and barreled through the gates, narrowly dodging the two guards on the other side.

As she tore through the city streets, frigid cold and continually soaked by the rain, he made her way through the streets of the city, barely suppressing a panic as the palace's warning fires lit up; one on the furthermost east point, and one on the furthermost west.

Kita barely made it to the drawbridge before it closed; the nighttime drag of the city gave way to the open meadows and hills beyond. Her feet kept slipping against the uneven, slick grass and mud compared to the stone pathways.

It was about halfway between the city and the Blood Forest that she stopped. Exertion was dragging her down, and a stinging sensation covered her arms, legs, and stomach.

Once she ensured that no one was behind her, she completely collapsed. As she gazed at the sky, the rain continued to pelt her, steady winds were chilling her to the bone, and the earth clunge to her. Soon enough, Kita could not tell what was rain or her own tears.

"What have I done?" She whimpered.

She slammed a fist to the ground next to her.

"How am I so stupid? How do I say I'm better than a child or a madwoman, when this is where I am? I kept my faith in Leiytning, and he turned into a monster. I kept my faith in Corelia, and she turned into a tyrant. Why can't I just see past what's there, instead of hanging onto what they tell me? I betrayed everyone I knew, and now I don't have anything!"

"Laying in the dirt won't help either of us."

At the sound of that irate voice, Kita didn't know if it was relief or fear that struck her.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.






You can earn up to 437 points for reviewing this work. The amount of points you earn is based on the length of the review. To ensure you receive the maximum possible points, please spend time writing your review.

Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
61 Reviews


Points: 412
Reviews: 61

Donate
Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:45 pm
keeperofgaming wrote a review...



Gosh Dang it Corelia.

When I smiled:

Corelia, what the heck? You promise not to hurt them. She really went off the deep end here and she's really just torturing them at this point for almost no reason. Like I get that she is misguided, but goodness gracious. She really needs a stern talking to. Kita should give her a good talking to.

And goodness, gracious Kita, that was a bit wild. Like, I get your emotional but don't try to stab Corelia. She most certainly should have yelled and the things she heard were quite horrific and also the things she said were correct but goodness gracious, she went a little too far.

And good on you, Yuna. You had no idea what was going on, but you decided to help your friend anyways. Her willingness to help and save her friend was kind of touching despite her confusion.

... That voice >:)

A Line to Remember:

"Admit it, Corelia. You're a liar, you look down on me, and you don't care about peace. You only care about winning."

"Is that what you think of me? I'm suddenly the tyrant, and these are the heroes? Let me tell you, these beings are not the 'tortured innocents' you think they are. You have been lied to, but it wasn't me who did that."


And this cements the misguided idea. She may think that she is doing it to help others even if she is actually just doing it to win. I feel like if Kita manages to show her what is actually going on Corelia will become a good person. She genuinely seems just misguided instead of evil.

A New Lesson:

I couldn't find anything wrong.

The Catalyst's Growth:

Oh goodness, where do I begin? Kita, trying to stab the Queen of the sylphs. Kita deciding to help the zyreans with no strings attached. Or Kita booking it out of the castle.

Her decision to attack was pretty shocking but made sense given what she had discovered. I feel like she should have thought through it more as, as I have said before, Corelia seems more misguided than evil.

Her decision to help the zyreans was also very good. She finally realized what she needed to do and decided to go for it. This will allow her to develop even more and I absolutely like it.

And now with her booking it. Her ability to outrun pretty much the entire guard of the palace was incredible. She's definitely shown a lot of physical growth throughout the series. Plus her determination and her anger are allowing her to do that is awesome.

Overall:

Very good job. I can't wait for the next part.




RavenAkuma says...


Yes, yes, yes! I like to see this reaction; I think it's safe to say, at this point, Corelia is meant to become the unofficial "antagonist" of this story from Kita's perspective, and Kita happens to be a naive thinker that leads to a black-and-white mindset, amplified by emotion.

But naturally, Kita's perspective is far from the only perspective... ;)

Thanks so much for your reviews, and taking the time to read! :D




[while trapped in a bucket of popcorn] You know what the worst part is? It's not even butter. We're gonna be destroyed by... ARTIFICIAL FLAVORING!
— Blake Bradley, Power Rangers Ninja Storm