z

Young Writers Society


12+

Perfection

by RavenAkuma


                             

Beautification, innocent in use

Easy to indulge, easy to abuse

                      

The artistic fixation

As you carefully lay the foundation

The flutter in your chest

As you blend the eyeshadows to their best

The faint sweet taste

As you layer up the lip gloss like paste

The satisfying trail

As your polish spreads onto each nail

The self-admiration

As your new outfit grants you elation

Even the feeling of pride

To make your body its best, knowing you tried

                   

It’s a risk, these things can be benevolent

But beware, they can also be malevolent

                          

The sense of dread

As acne, scars, and birthmarks make you see red

The aching in your chest

As you envy those who seem blessed

The bittersweet taste

As without a mask, you feel displaced

The rashes and sores

As the chemicals contaminate your pores

The self-questioning

As wearing something new seems so menacing

Even the feeling of pain

When you’ve been starved and butchered in vain

                   

All for beauty, to draw the eye

Without limits, you’ll fry

               

Some say it’s due to a society so hollow

But it’s a very hard pill to swallow

Something is wrong, but under your disguise

Whatever darkness lies behind your eyes;

Corrupting them to see the worst

So you’ll never quench this thirst

No, you won’t be truly pretty

If you don’t allow yourself some pity

So be wary and play fair

These tools are an option, to bring out what’s there

Not to hide what is not

Not to carve out what ought

              

In and out, self-peace is possible

In and out, perfection is impossible


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
35 Reviews


Points: 319
Reviews: 35

Donate
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:20 pm
View Likes
dm74 wrote a review...



Title Analysis:
The title "Perfection" sets the stage for a contemplation of beauty standards and the pursuit of an idealized appearance. It suggests an exploration of the complexities and contradictions inherent in the quest for perfection.

Content Analysis:
The poem delves into the dual nature of beautification, highlighting both its allure and its potential pitfalls. It examines the pleasure and satisfaction derived from enhancing one's appearance, juxtaposed with the risks and consequences of obsession and self-doubt.

Through vivid imagery and evocative language, the poem depicts the sensory experiences and emotional fluctuations associated with beautification. It explores the tension between self-expression and societal expectations, as well as the physical and psychological tolls of striving for an elusive standard of beauty.

Tone and Mood:
The tone of the poem is introspective and cautionary, conveying a sense of awareness and reflection. There is a blend of curiosity and concern as the speaker examines the complexities of beauty culture and its impact on individual well-being.

At times, the tone may carry a hint of cynicism or resignation, acknowledging the pervasive influence of societal norms and the challenges of resisting them. However, there is also a note of hopefulness, suggesting that self-acceptance and authenticity are attainable goals.

Overall Impression:
"Perfection" is a poignant and thought-provoking exploration of beauty standards and the complexities of self-image. Through its vivid imagery, introspective tone, and nuanced portrayal of human experiences, it invites readers to critically examine their own beliefs and attitudes towards beauty and perfection.

The poem's message resonates on a personal and universal level, offering insights into the struggles and triumphs of navigating societal pressures while striving for authenticity and self-acceptance. It serves as a reminder that true beauty lies not in conformity to external standards, but in embracing one's unique identity and inner strength.




RavenAkuma says...


You were spot-on in all your interpretations here, thanks for taking the time to read and review! Much appreciated, and I'm glad you enjoyed! :)



dm74 says...


of course!



User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 85
Reviews: 16

Donate
Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:38 pm
FrozenEntropy wrote a review...



It's kind of refreshing to see something like this that offers a positive message to take away. Obviously everybody wants to look good, even to a society composed mostly of passing strangers we'll never see again and, presumably, should not deeply care about the opinion of. Like you highlighted, there's a sense of satisfaction one can achieve by making themselves look good, but sometimes people get obsessed with every little blemish and hold themselves to an impossible standard. Either being perfect, which is impossible, or not being good enough, which is unsatisfying. A lot of people think that it's either or, which isn't really true. Which is why I really like the final two lines of this.

"In and out, self-peace is possible

In and out, perfection is impossible"

Clearly there is a balance you can strike. Being easy on yourself, being happy with yourself, even despite knowing you can't be absolutely perfect. But also being happy and confident in yourself and your appearance, finding satisfaction in improving yourself while not delving into the obsession that may come with it.

"These tools are an option, to bring out what’s there

Not to hide what is not

Not to carve out what ought"

I thought these lines highlighted that point very well. Thank you for writing this!




RavenAkuma says...


I'm glad you enjoyed, thank you for taking the time to review! :)



User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 842
Reviews: 12

Donate
Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:05 am
View Likes
Isbah wrote a review...



This is really true. I love the way the entire poem rhymes. My favourite part is,

"In and out, self-peace is possible
In and out, perfection is impossible"

This is telling people that looks really don't matter and loving yourself the way you are does. It's a really important message because even though people hear it a lot, it's way harder to believe it.




RavenAkuma says...


Glad you enjoyed, thanks for reviewing! :)




Attention is the beginning of devotion.
— Mary Oliver, Upstream