The day i became a wizard

by PenNPaper

Hope you like this, it's my first attempt at writing a short fantasy story.

This is the edited version

The day just before my 15th birthday, my mentor for magic, a old wizard, Obah, gave me an idea on how it was like to use magic. In our town, you had to be 15 in order to be able to use magic.

'It feels extremely good when you first use it' he explained.'You think of it, contain the energy, then release it.'

I watched in amazement as he demonstrated a few spells. A fireball spell, a whirlwind spell, and a water spell.

Then he stared me straight in the eyes and said, 'There is a rule that you must obey, which is to know your limits. Many wizards and witches have failed to abide by that rule, the result is, you may DIE'

'Yes master, I'll remember that' I nodded my head.

That rest of the day was spent poring over the books that he had given me, they were about the many common and uncommonly used spells, or strong or weak.

I retired back home, dinner was ready.

'Had a good time today, Rick?' my mother asked, without looking up from the article she was reading.

'Yes mama' I replied.

'Tomorrow is your big day, eh?' my father grinned.

'Mama, why do I have to take an oath when I don't even know what it's about?' I asked, hoping to get a reasonable answer.

She glanced up with a serious expression, 'Why do you ask that Rick, no one is supposed to question the town's rules?'

'Mama, please tell me' I begged.

At this moment, my father joined in, he wore the same expression as my mother,'We don't know Rick, the laws were created by the Gods, and it is forbidden to question them'

'But please...' I began.

'It's late, go bathe and come down to have dinner' my mother interrupted.

I went up the creaky stairs, feeling miserable, and entered the bathroom to wash. it was cluttered with broom sticks and potions of all kinds. I looked at myself at the mirror, and inspected the dragon scar on my left cheek, I wondered all the time where I had got it from.

The warm soothing water, trickled down my back, I let the water run for a while before I got dressed.

I sat down quietly at the meal table and picked at my food. I had no appetite.

'Something wrong, my dear?' my mother asked, with a look of concern in her eyes.

'Nothing' I replied, trying to avoid her gaze.

The truth was, I wasn't sure I wanted to become a wizard. There were lots of rules to follow and I was afraid of breaking them. Obah had told me the consequences if I didn't abide by them. I shuddered at the thought.

Finally I spoke,'Mama, why do I have a dragon scar on my cheek?'

My mother suddenly became nervous,'Its a..uh scar that was given to you by the Gods'

I realised that questioning my parents wasn't going to do me any good, so I finished my meal and retired back to bed. As I entered my bedroom, I drew the curtains close and lay down on my pillow, thinking of tomorrow, even if I didn't want to become a wizard, I would be forced to become one.

Slowly, I fell into a deep sleep.

The next morning, I woke with a start, I suddenly remembered today was the day I became a wizard. I went down to the hall, Obah was already there.

'Had a good sleep?' he asked.

I nodded.

'Good, let's go, we're going to be late' he said, checking his magic watch.

I followed him to the centre of town, where the ritual platform stood. I looked up, I had passed this place many times, wishing I could be up there, now I was uncertain.

'Come on, hurry up, no time to lose' he said, pushing my up the stairs.

At last we were ready, he took out a book.

'Rick, you are about to become a wizard, are you ready?' he asked.

'Yes' I replied, a little hesitant.

Obah rattled off some words in another language, called the ancient oath. If anyone was to become a wizard, they had to take an oath. Sadly, you weren't supposed to know what it meant.

'Do you agree to the oath?' Obah asked once again.

I hesitated again, then spoke softly,'Yes'

He gently touch my head, then exclaimed, 'I declare you a true wizard!'

I felt exhilarated, energy started to flow inside me, I could feel by body changing, I grew taller, and my muscles grew bigger.

'Cast your first spell' Obah smiled at me.

I gathered up my energy, focusing it at the centre of my palm, pointing it upwards, I summoned the fire element and released the energy. A fireball erupted from my palm and shoot up the sky.

I had summoned my first spell, and now, was a true wizard.

brassnbridle wrote a review...

I agree with the posts above- you need to work on developing your characters, especially your main one. What sort of thoughts does he have, other than hesitation about becoming a wizard? Just adding details and descriptions will do wonders for an already interesting plot.
The biggest hard spot, though, was the ending. Your entire post has been pointing towards this big, ceremonial moment in your MC's life, and you tell it in a few sentences. Maybe try explaining what's going on, or what the MC's feeling when he summons this magic? Does he struggle because he's new to it, or does it just come naturally? These are all just ideas, so feel free to ignore them, of course. You've got a great base here, just try to build on it some. :D
Also, have you considered using actual speech quotations("), rather than apostrophes(')? I think it would make it easier to read, as that's standard for most books.
Good luck!

Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:37 pm
Squall wrote a review...

Hey there PenNPaper.

Your intro would of been more hooking if you spent the time to describe how the spells were performed and what they looked like (using the 5 senses). At the moment, it's rather lacking because there's very little for the reader to get meaning out of since you just "told" instead of "showed".

This comes of weak, because you haven't really shown to us that the main character dislikes how things are run in his society.

What consequences though? Why were these rules established?

Overall impressions:

I felt that this piece was rather rushed and seemed to lack co-ordination. This piece reminded me of those stories that we used to do back in primary/intermediate where we had to about things like what we did during the holidays etc etc. Back then, we just write out everything that happened without really spending time to develop or elaborate on our ideas.

You really need to slow this down. Firstly, spend some more time to describe the setting, characters and magic more. I have very little idea as to where this is all happening nor of how things work in their society.

Secondly, I think you need to focus your piece much more on the main character's uncertainty and dislike of the position that he's in. What exactly are these rules that are placed on him? What's the significance of being a wizard? Why does he need to be a wizard? What are the consequences of going against those rules? You have an idea that holds a lot of potential and power, but you aren't using it to create the bigger picture.

And thirdly, develop the main character's family and home more. I say this because the main character's family can have a huge impact in the direction of the story and the main character. I can see that the mother follows the rules strictly and tries to help the main character despite the big questions that he asks, but with the conversations between them being rather short and linear, there isn't much to go by. I think it would work better if you have one in-depth conversation between the mother and son to expand on the ideas that you have here, and along with that, show more of what family life is like there.

Hopefully by fleshing this out further, you will have something that will be much more tangible and polished. Good luck.

Andy.

Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:16 am
PenNPaper says...

Thanks for the review Jabber! :D

Yes, you pointed out my weakness, I don't know how to describe.

I'll try to edit this, hope it turns out better.

Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:52 am

Hi, P&P!

I really love your idea here. It's off to a great start! You've set up a basic setting for your world, and it's very interesting to me. I have a couple suggestions to help you improve here.

I think a lot more description could be used here. Take the time to describe your characters so they don't appear to be flat and boring, describe the buildings or rooms they're in, and explain some of those instances so that the reader won't have so many questions. (For example, the story mentions that the oath is taken in a language no one can understand. Why is this? The parents seemed too eager to send their son into an oath no one can comprehend.) Keep asking yourself why, how, and what to help you out as you revise this.

I also noticed some overuse in commas (,). Here's an article to help you out with those guys. You don't want to use them too much, or it just gets confusing. This as well as a few more grammar mistakes are lurking within your piece. A thorough edit will take care of that though.

The beginning of the story (perhaps the first paragraph or so) are info-dumps. By that I mean they tell us all sorts of information in one paragraph, overwhelming the reader with so many things to remember. Instead of doing this, ease the information into your story. Sprinkle it throughout the piece where the reader would have to know that information. For example, we don't need to know who Merlinia was named after. In fact, we really don't need to know the MC was born there. The story will be just as good without that.

I hope that helped a bit. You have a wonderful idea, so I really hope you edit this! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me.

Jabber, the One and Only!

Facebook is that cockroach that you just can't kill
— Gravity