The Silver Pool

by PearlescentRose

The wind rushed through the trees, blowing back the girl's hair as she ran. She laughed and squealed with delight, running until she finally collapsed in the shade of a large tree. She looked around the forest, taking in the sights. Trees towered above her, blocking out the sun. Large, glowing flowers and luminescent mushrooms shined pink, blue, and gold light through the forest.

The girl suddenly heard voices above and looked around, trying to find the source. She spotted two unusual girls. The first had long, teal hair and glowing teal eyes. Glowing flowers formed a crown around her head. She wore a flowy tunic with long sleeves and black leggings tucked into navy boots. She held a basket full of various fluorescent fruits. 

The second girl had neon orange hair pulled into a braid and amber eyes. The most startling detail though, was that she had deer antlers sicking up from the top of her head. She was climbing in the trees, tossing fruit into her companions basket. 

The girl listened to their conversation since neither had spotted her. 

"I think we have enough, Fauna." The teal girl was saying, "We should head back soon. Everyone's waiting for us." 

The orange girl, who must've been Fauna, called back, "Okay, just a few more, Flora. It's not quite sunset so we have another minute before we need to head back." 

The girl watched as Fauna grabbed a few more fruits and tossed them to Flora. Then, the two climbed out of the trees and walked over to a pool of water in the ground. Flora hummed a quick song and the pool turned to liquid silver. Flora and Fauna grabbed hands, jumped into the pool, and vanished. 

The girl ran over and splashed her hands into the water, but the silver sheen had faded and her hands ran over the muddy bottom. She decided to camp out and wait for the girls' return. A few days later, they finally came back. The girl had been resting in the branches of a tree when the pool suddenly began to glow and Flora and Fauna came running out. 

The girl was surprised and fell from the branch. She quickly jumped up and tried to hide but she had already been spotted. Fauna looked over at Filora and they seemed to have a silent exchange before Flora nodded to Fauna and gave the girl a sad smile.

Fauna looked up at the girl with watery eyes and held out her hand, "Come with us little one, we'll take care of you." The girl approached slowly and took Fauna's hand. Fauna led her over to the pool's edge and Flora leaned down and touched the water's surface. 

She hummed a soft song and the pool glowed gold instead of silver. Fauna squeezed the girl's hand softly and Flora wrapped her arm across the girl's shoulders. They stepped forward into the pool and everything went black as they sank into the water. 

The girl heard a steady beeping noise through the darkness. The beeping slowly grew faster before it turned into one long tone. A soft golden glow broke through the black until the girl found herself floating in the sky, bathed in golden light and looking out at a sunset. 

A soft voice whispered, "Don't be afraid. You can rest now, brave one." 

RavenAkuma wrote a review...

Hello, My Friend!

Pleasure to meet you, fellow fantasy writer! I am Raven, and I’d like to review this short story using my Familiar method today! It’s pretty much the YWS’more method with the touch of a fantasy-horror writer. Let’s dive in, shall we? Heh heh heh…

What The Black Eyes See...

Brilliant short story! Very whimsical on the surface with great descriptions, leading into a very mysterious twist, and finally a bittersweet yet touching ending. Let's get into the details though.

Where The Dagger Points...

Not much to put here! The story was absolutely lovely. I do have some very minor recommendations free to take or leave:

First is a very minor typo here:

The most startling detail though, was that she had deer antlers sicker up from the top of her head.

I think "sicker up" was meant to be "sticking up."

(...aaand I literally had to go back and edit because I spelled the correction wrong. *facepalms* Nice one Raven XD)

The second is more subjective and has to do with grammar, specifically in these parts:

"I think we have enough Fauna," The teal girl was saying,

The orange girl, who must've been Fauna called back, "Okay, just a few more Flora.

There's always discourse about where commas are appropriate, but I feel like these lines may read better if you put a comma before saying a name. Not only is it more traditional, but it's a bit easier to read, especially in fantasy settings.

Finally, you have such lovely descriptions of the scenery and the girls, props to you for that! I feel like they would especially "pop" with some sensory details, like a note about the feeling of a gentle breeze, the sound as it rustles the leaves, the aroma of mossy earth and flowers, etcetera. This is something I'm still working on in my own writing, thanks to YWS feedback lol

Now naturally, I am not a professional, so please always take my advice with a grain of salt. I mean nothing negative, I hope this helps, and the story is great as it is of course ~

Why The Grin Widened...

Ah, where to begin picking a favorite moment? Can I just say all of it? haha.

As I mentioned, your descriptions are absolutely incredible. They crafted an amazing visual of the forest, with its magical elements like glowing flowers and mushrooms. That immediately drew me in and gave the story a feeling of life, right off the bat.

I also very much enjoyed the character designs. The vibrant colors and distinct styles, and how they matched up with the characters' names (Fauna having deer antlers and Flora having a flower crown). That was a very nice touch ~

And my favorite part, despite its grim undertones, was that twist ending.

A soft golden glow broke through the black until the girl found herself floating in the sky, bathed in golden light and looking out at a sunset.

(maybe I'm off, please correct me if so) This read as the girl dying from perhaps a terminal illness or injury. Flora and Fauna replace the role of Death as her guide to the afterlife, where she can finally rest, while also symbolizing a sort of "return to nature" through it all. I'm not 100% on this, but I assume the Silver Pool signifies that gateway between life and death as well.

Even if I am off, it was still a brilliant ending that was perfectly narrated and great to read.

Our Mad Thoughts...

Overall, you wrote an incredible piece of fantasy with so much meaning and so much to interpret from it, I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed; 10/10. Nicely done! :)

Thank you for the suggestions! I'm so glad you like the story. :)

Also, your assumptions were correct. The girl is in a coma, and that is when she is in the forest. Flora and Fauna guide her to the silver pool, which does indeed represent the gateway to Heaven.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
— Steve Martin