Autobiography 1.1

by Lena.Wooldridge

This is just an experiment, an excerpt from something I've been writing. It's meant to be sort of all over the place.

Two months. It scares the shit out of me to even think about it. Only two little months. Two months ago, I was the same dumbass kid I've always been. But two months from now, I'm gonna be driving down to Oregon on my own to live there and all. That's scary as hell. It's like five hundred miles away from home.

Five hundred miles. It's like that old Hedy West song. I can remember when I lived with my friend Lauren for a summer back in elementary school on account of my own mama having a baby and saying there wasn't enough room for me in the trailer anymore. I swear Lauren's mom played the same CD all summer long. The sound of it danced out into the back yard, where we played all day long. The only song that I can really remember now in particular is that Hedy West song. I don't really know what it's about, to be honest. I just remember the lady singing it, basically moaning about how she was "five hundred miles, five hundred miles, five hundred miles away from home" all over the place. I can still imagine her face, looking out the window of some broken down, gray, house trying to find her real home in quiet desperation.

That's probably how I'm going to look, though, staring out the window of some farm house down in Oregon. Maybe when I'm eighteen I'll go back to the Valley, where I live now, since it's my real home, I think, and get an apartment with a couple buds. Just kick it there until I graduate.

That was a joke. I sure as hell ain't ready to even move out of my mama's house and down to the good ole family farm. I won't be able to afford it, that's for sure, even though I ain't going to be living on my own, anyway. I'm going to be living with a couple cousins, so it's not like they'll make me pay them rent or anything. I hope they don't think I look goofy or anything.

It's almost worse when your cousin doesn't think you look goofy, though. My grandpa has this big ole picnic every summer. We call it the Pig Roast on account of the fact that he and his brother roast the biggest pig you've ever seen in this big barbecue deal. It's supposed to be a family reunion, but a whole lot of the people who show up are just family friends, people my grandpa met while working for the Tacoma police department back in the day. So when some guy my age starting talking to me sweet, asking me to play horse shoes and all, I didn't think too much of it. That is until my big brother Zack started laughing all over the place, telling us that we's cousins. Turns out we even had the same last name. It was pretty creepy.

I kind of miss those family reunion Pig Roast deals, though. That was the first one I'd been to since I was in kindergarten or something. My mama isn't too keen on letting me go to them. She isn't too keen on that whole side of the family, actually. I don't see my dad or my big brothers, Zack and Justin, at all really. Sometimes I think about trying to move in with the three of them over in Kent, but I know it's not a good idea. My dad ain't really good at raising kids, especially girls. It'd just be trouble.

And I already get in trouble an awful lot as it is. Too much trouble. My mama and Jim - that's her new husband - almost sent me to Sundown Ranch or Ollala a few months ago. No bueno.

It wasn't because they were actually worried about me. They just knew the neighbors'd started talking. Mr. Anderson, the cop who lived next door, parked some random patrol car on the street in front of his house to sketch out all the tweakers who came up to my place. I ain't really supposed to have friends over anymore, not since I got in trouble and all. And I live with another pair of brothers, little ones named Erik and Gunnar, and it's not like I want to expose them to all the bullshit I put myself through.

I feel bad whenever I see little kids, to be honest. Like a couple days ago, my buddy George and I drove up to the Lake, just to kick it outside. I like spending time out in the sticks like that. Reminds me of the periodic hunting trips with my dad. Anyway, George and I weren't doing anything wrong at all. We were just sitting on his tailgate, breathing in the last bits of that beautiful day's sweet air. And then this little girl and her daddy come walking down the old hiking tail. When they saw us, they just sort of stop talking and all. Pretty awkward. The daddy gave us a disparaging look, like he thought a Mexican teenage boy and some skinny little white girl were inherently bad influences on his little kid or something. He didn't need to do that, though, 'cause I already felt bad enough. I feel like the soap scum on the world's bath tub.

Now that I really think about it, maybe I should be mad at that guy, since it wasn't like we were doing anything wrong. If he really knew me or George, he'd know we aren't bad kids at all. Sure, we've probably made a couple mistakes. But that doesn't make either of us a bad person. Everyone does stuff wrong sometimes. I don't think there are really bad people. I mean, someone can't be all good or all bad. Things just don't really work that way.

But that's not the only reason I don't spend much time with my little brothers. They just hate me. I don't know why. Jim says it's 'cause I was mean to them when they were younger. It might be true. I mean, you can't blame me. My own mama made me go live with my friend so there'd be enough room for her and Jim to have their new little family in the trailer. Obviously I'm gonna have a little animosity towards the whole situation.

And those kids... They're just Jim's kids. There ain't a better way to explain it. I ain't Jim's kid. And you can tell. I don't really look like them, for one. All four of them together are this perfect little blond family. I have dark eyes and hair and pretty pale skin. I almost feel like throwing up whenever I see a photo of all of us, since I'm just like this big ole coffee stain in the middle of their fancy lace tablecloth.

Thank you for reading.

Thu May 05, 2011 3:22 am
Evi wrote a review...

Okay! Sorry this took so long, Lena-- for some reason my notifications didn't tell me you had responded to my wall post. >_> Darn technology.

Anyway, autobiographies scare me, because I never want to tread into the path of critiquing the author instead of critiquing the writing/characters.

It's like five hundred miles away from home.

I get the casual, colloquial sayings, but this "like" here makes the tone seem too informal.

Maybe when I'm eighteen I'll go back to the Valley, where I live now, since it's my real home, I think, and get an apartment with a couple buds.

Might want to try and rephrase this. All the comma interruptions make it slightly difficult to follow.

It was pretty creepy.

I think readers can get that without you reiterating it here.

I almost feel like throwing up whenever I see a photo of all of us, since I'm just like this big ole coffee stain in the middle of their fancy lace tablecloth.

I like this. A powerful, emotional image.

--

Overall, I'm not sure what so say about this, because I'm not sure what you intended. It is kind of all over the place, without really focusing on a certain theme or topic, dancing from family issue to family issue. That said, the narrator's voice rings clearly through, and it's the kind of narrating voice I could imagine reading a longer work in. I wouldn't use this as a first chapter or first installment, though. It has too much telling and not enough showing to adequately drag readers in. Maybe expand one of the scenes you mentioned-- the thing with the flirty cousin, or her and George walking around. The way you have it now -- scattered scenes loosely connected with the main character -- reads more like a blog entry than a story. If you give it some structure and use scenes instead of paragraph-memories readers might be able to invest themselves more in the stories being told. Again, I like the voice you've established and I can see this as a coming-of-age story, but check out this (http://jerz.setonhill.edu/writing/creative/showing.htm) article for some tips on showing and not telling.

Good luck, and PM me for anything!

~Evi

Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:50 am
Chickensandwitch wrote a review...

Hello Lena!

Here is my review:
#FF0000 ">grammar
#0040FF ">word editing
#008000 ">my comments

Two months. It scares the shit out of me to even think about it. Only two little months. Two months ago, I was the same dumbass kid I've always been. But two months from now, I'm gonna be driving down to Oregon on my own to live there and all #008000 ">I don't know if the "And all" part is necissary. That's scary as hell. It's like five hundred miles away from home.

Five hundred miles. It's like that old Hedy West song. I can remember when I lived with my friend Lauren for a summer back in elementary school on account of my own mama having a baby and saying there wasn't enough room for me in the trailer anymore.#008000 "><That makes me very curious.. :) I swear Lauren's mom played the same CD all summer long. The sound of it danced out into the back yard, where we played all day long. The only song that I can really remember now in particular is that Hedy West song. I don't really know what it's about, to be honest. I just remember the lady singing it, basically moaning about how she was "five hundred miles, five hundred miles, five hundred miles away from home" all over the place. I can still imagine her face, looking out the window of some broken down, gray#FF4000 ">, *Comma not necessary* house trying to find her real home in quiet desperation.

That's probably how I'm going to look, though, staring out the window of some farm house #0040FF ">down (the "Down" makes the sentence look a bit awkward) in Oregon. Maybe when I'm eighteen I'll go back to the Valley, where I live now, since it's my real home, I think, and get an apartment with a couple buds.#008000 ">Could you possibly break this into two sentences? Just kick it there until I graduate.

That was a joke. I sure as hell ain't ready to even move out of my mama's house and down to the good ole family farm. I won't be able to afford it, that's for sure, even though I ain't going to be living on my own anyway. I'm going to be living with a couple cousins, so it's not like they'll make me pay them rent or anything. I hope they don't think I look goofy or anything. [color=#0040FF 0]you put two "Or anythings" right next to eachother..[/color]
It's almost worse when your cousin doesn't think you look goofy, though. My grandpa has this big ole #008000 ">I like how she says "ole" a lot picnic every summer. We call it the Pig Roast on account of the fact that he and his brother roast the biggest pig you've ever seen in this big barbecue deal#008000 ">< That sounds like they roast the biggest pig in the barbeque deal. Is there more than one pig at the barbeque, and they roast only the biggest? . It's supposed to be a family reunion, but a whole lot of the people who show up are just family friends, people my grandpa met while working for the Tacoma police department back in the day. So when some guy my age starting talking to me sweet, asking me to play horse shoes and all, I didn't think too much of it. That is until my big brother Zack started laughing all over the place, telling us that we's cousins. Turns out we even had the same last name. It was pretty creepy.

I kind of miss those family reunion Pig Roast deals, though. That was the first one I'd been to since I was in kindergarten or something. My mama isn't too keen on letting me go to them. She isn't too keen on that whole side of the family, actually. I don't see my dad or my big brothers, Zack and Justin, at all really#FF4000 ">I can't put my finger on it, but something seems off about the commas in this sentence. Sometimes I think about trying to move in with the three of them over in Kent, but I know it's not a good idea. My dad ain't really good at raising kids, especially girls. It'd just be trouble.

I feel bad whenever I see little kids, to be honest. Like a couple days ago, my buddy George and I drove up to the lake, just to kick it outside. I like spending time out in the sticks like that. Reminds me of the periodic hunting trips with my dad. Anyway, George and I weren't doing anything wrong at all. We were just sitting on his tailgate, breathing in the last bits of that beautiful day's sweet air.#008000 "><I like that sentence And then this little girl and her daddy come walking down the old hiking tail. When they saw us, they just sort of stop talking and all. Pretty awkward. The daddy gave us a disparaging look, like he thought a Mexican teenage boy and some skinny little white girl were inherently bad influences on his little kid or something. He didn't need to do that, though, 'cause I already felt bad enough. I feel like the soap scum on the world's bath tub.

Now that I really think about it, maybe I should be mad at that guy, since it wasn't like we were doing anything wrong. If he really knew me or George, he'd know we aren't #0000FF ">I'm not sure if this should b "Aren't" or "weren't"bad kids at all. Sure, we've probably made a couple mistakes. But that doesn't make either of us a bad person. Everyone does stuff wrong sometimes. I don't think there are really bad people. I mean, someone can't be all good or all bad. Things just don't really work that way.

And those kids... They're just Jim's kids. There ain't a better way to explain it. I ain't Jim's kid. And you can tell. I don't really look like them, for one. All four of them together are this perfect little blond family. I have dark eyes and hair and pretty pale skin. I almost feel like throwing up whenever I see a photo of all of us, since I'm just like this big ole coffee stain in the middle of their fancy lace tablecloth. #008000 ">< That's a good analogy, I like it!

.

Overall, a few awkward-sounding sentences but pretty good. The character is very interesting and I find myself liking the character despite her... Vocabulary, lol. I also enjoy reading about small-town people. I live in Texas, but a bigger city and I've yet to meet someone who's truly country. (Rather disappointing, really.)
Anyways, the only problem is you do a lot of telling, not showing. I don't know if that's what you're going for or not. Is the character going to be telling us stories like this? If so, then this is a neat perspective.
Good luck and keep writing!

Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:45 pm
xDudettex wrote a review...

Hey Lena!

Thanks for the PM - I'm happy to review anything of yours anytime :) Sorry I'm only just getting to reviewing this - I've had a crappy internet connection for a couple of weeks and it wouldn't let me log into here for long.

So.

I can remember when I lived with my friend Lauren for a summer back in elementary school on account of my own mama having a baby and saying there wasn't enough room for me in the trailer anymore.

This sentence seems a little long. Maybe try adding a comma after 'school' to help break it up a tad.

I can still imagine her face, looking out the window of some broken down, gray, trying to find her real home in quiet desperation.

The second half of this sentence is a little shady, and I don't quite know what's going on. It's almost like you're missing a word after 'gray'

since it's my really home

Do you mean 'really' to be 'real'?

family friends, people my grandpa met while working

I think the comma here should be a semi-colon.

much of it, that is until my

The comma would be better as a full stop.

like he though a Mexican

'thought'

teenage boy some skinny little white

You need 'and' after 'boy'

there ain't a better way to explain it

'There'

***

There isn't really much wrong with this at all. It reads nicely and I feel like I've got to know quite a lot about the MC already; She feels out of place in her family and she's afraid that she's been cast of as a bad person.

I'm interested to find out more about the character's background. And a name ;) I want to know where you're planning on taking this.

PM me when you post more please :)

I hope this helps!

Anna

Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:10 am
Uldin wrote a review...

Hello there! I don't usually read autobiographies, but this sounds interesting, so here you go, a review :)

Five hundred miles. It's like that old Hedy West song. I can remember when I lived with my friend Lauren for a summer back in elementary school on account of my own mama having a baby and saying there wasn't enough room for me in the trailer anymore. I swear Lauren's mom played the same CD all summer long. The sound of it danced out into the back yard, where we played #FF0000 ">every single day, all day long (i'd say take off "every single day", all day long seems enough). The only song that I can really remember #FF0000 ">now in particular (kind of repetitive, since you already said: the only song that I remember) is that Hedy West song. I don't really know what it's about, to be honest. I just remember the lady singing it, basically moaning about how she was "five hundred miles, five hundred miles, five hundred miles away from home" all over the place. I can still imagine her face, looking out the window of some broken down #FF0000 ">(broken down what?), gray, trying to find her real home in quiet desperation.

That's probably how I'm going to look, though, staring out the window of some farm house down in Oregon. Maybe when I'm eighteen I'll go back to the Valley, where I live now, since it's my really home, I think, and get an apartment with a couple buds. Just kick it there until I graduate.

It's almost worse when your cousin doesn't think you look goofy, though. My grandpa has this big ole picnic every summer. We call it the Pig Roast on account of the fact that he and his brother roast the biggest pig you've ever seen in this big barbecue deal. It's supposed to be a family reunion, but a whole lot of the people who show up are just family friends, people my grandpa met while working for the Tacoma police department back in the day. So when some guy my age starting talking to me sweet, asking me to play horse shoes and all, I didn't think too much of it, that is until my big brother Zack started laughing all over the place, telling us that we's cousins. Turns out we even had the same last name. It was pretty creepy. #FF0000 "> xD

I kind of miss those family reunion Pig Roast deals, though. That was the first one I'd been to since I was in kindergarten or something. My mama isn't too keen on letting me go to them. She isn't too keen on that whole side of the family, actually. I don't see my dad or my big brothers, Zack and Justin, at all really #FF0000 ">(commas are unnecessary). Sometimes I think about trying to move in with the three of them over in Kent, but I know it's not a good idea. My dad ain't really good at raising kids, especially girls. It'd just be trouble.

I feel bad whenever I see little kids #FF0000 ">anywhere (may want to remove that), to be honest. Like a couple days ago, my buddy George and I drove up to the Lake, just to kick it outside. I like spending time out in the sticks like that. Reminds me of the periodic hunting trips with my dad. Anyway, George and I weren't doing anything wrong at all. We were just sitting on his tailgate, breathing in the last bits of that beautiful day's sweet air. And then this little girl and her daddy come walking down the old hiking tail. When they saw us, they just sort of stopping #FF0000 ">('stop', not stopping) talking and all. Pretty awkward. The daddy gave us a disparaging look, #FF0000 ">as though he #FF0000 ">thought a Mexican teenage boy #FF0000 ">and some skinny little white girl were inherently bad influences on his little kid or something. He didn't need to do that, though, 'cause I already felt bad enough. I feel like the soap scum on the world's bath tub.

But that's not the only reason I don't spend much time with my little brothers. They just hate me. I don't know why. Jim says it's 'cause I was mean to them when they were younger. It might be true. I mean, you can't blame me. My own mama made me go live with my friend so there'd be enough room for her and Jim to have their new little family in the trailer. Obviously I'm gonna #FF0000 ">have (feel) a little animosity towards the whole situation.

And those kids... They're just Jim's kids. there ain't a better way to explain it. I ain't Jim's kid. And you can tell. I don't really look like them, for one. All four of them together are this perfect little blond family. I have dark eyes and hair and pretty pale skin. I almost feel like throwing up whenever I see a photo of all of us, since I'm just like this big ole coffee stain in the middle of their fancy lace tablecloth.

Sorry if I didn't make any more corrections, honestly there really aren't many to make. And the stuff I pointed are for the most part minor details. I'm really impressed. Please go on!

We know what a person thinks not when he tells us what he thinks, but by his actions.
— Isaac Bashevis Singer