z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language Violence Mature Content

Keli-Parada: Book 1 (The Beginning of the Beginning) Chapter 2A (Vendetta - Part 1/3)

by Kelisot


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language, violence, and mature content.

Finally, Vendetta is... somewhat finished. Enjoy reading why everyone was so angry at one man, and experience the start of a tragedy. But then, is it possible for a tragedy to end happily...?

You also may be surprised that despite this being the first chapter being, released, this is actually how the story starts! Chapter 2A canonically is that when we open the first book, is the first page. You might guess what Chapter 1 is (there's a poem version too) by reading the Second Part of this chapter (which is coming soon after I get 200 points properly hehe), which would be released after 

=====

Day 1

The world we-- no, I-- the world I live in is damned. I'm using the word "I" because there's a fucking chance that we're not so doomed, after all. Yes, this is a message from the future, in case you were stupid enough.

Let me explain to you what is going on here. The future I have is quite disappointing, rather than horrifying. Society became Theocratic due to several conflicts of religion, and an actual God had descended. When this "God" descended, that was the source of the issue, we humanity desire unity and compromises, but we will always regret it. Humanity has sealed its doom by conforming again.

I was one of the rebels who hated the new God for us. Kutya-Kyon, I believe his name was. His followers (or their followers, whatever) worship him like crazy, and our parents were one of them. They've gone crazy, I know. My mom was somewhat okay because she realized before she died what stupid act she was doing, but my dad? No, he just straight up lost the mind of a sane human.

My dad shagged a poor waiter from a restaurant we once went to, and that was when my mom finally got angry. Thanks to that damned Dog-Headed God (yes, that's what we rebels call him), my comrades and I have lost hope for humanity.

Eventually, after that event, my dad realized how much of a scumbag he looked to both us and his wife, so he decided to disown us and send us to the Kri Sector. Supposedly, it's a specific area of town-- actually, it's not even part of the town but we can talk about that later. However, the Kri Sector is where the "Cursed Children" live, the rebels of the Dog-Headed God. Other people that don't live in the sector treat us like shitbags, but I don't care about it. It only matters when they beat up one poor kid or someone in the sector, everyone gets into fighting. The fighting is sometimes fun, but I don't know if that is because the Dog-Headed God's influence still has domain on us.

Day 2

I'm not sure if I ever mentioned this to you before, but I have a pretty older sister named Kiyo. She's lucky that she has a boyfriend too. (He is also handsome.) So the three of us once went shopping in an emporium in the Kri Sector.

And then, shit starts to occur when the Grigoris and Kelisots descend from the sky.

Yeah, it's a fucking angel with fucking angelic wings, beautiful! Yeah, it's all fucking beautiful and happy-go-lucky until you realize that Grigoris and Kelisots are not handsome humanoid creatures you fall in love with. If you ever do, expect your head to get flung into Hell.

The Kelisots and Grigoris took out a scroll and started chanting in a booming voice, so when my sister, her boyfriend, and I heard it, we immediately had to cover our ears. But of course, covering it with our hands always amps the sound louder.

I thought at that moment, I was going to fucking die due to how loud they were screaming. Some unfortunate people had blood bursting out of their ears before fainting. After all, the Kelisots and Grigoris are the divine soldiers of Kutya-Kyon, they have supernatural strengths that can obliterate the entire human race.

I also found David there too, but that idiot had to be resisting against one of the Kelisot. As usual, David is always reckless, and I expected that handsome idiot to die... but he didn't. Rather, the Kelisot died.

It was awesome. Both terrifying and wonderous, the Kelisot simply... was jabbed. By spears that just appeared out of nowhere. And the sounds all stopped, but the Grigoris and Kelisots all stared at David creepily. I ran in an attempt to help him, but everything... just blurred out.

Day 3

David and I are somewhat friends, but we aren't close. After all, how many times have we contacted? Like four times? Yet it sometimes feels like David has been my childhood friend.

So I decided to ask Kandashi (Kiyo's spouse) about some tips for becoming friends. Kandashi told me if there was even anything I knew, and the only thing I remember was David always scribbling upon his notebook.

David's auburn bangs would always cover his eyes, which possibly was the reason why his writing was so sloppy. It was as if he was using his non-dominate hand to write and draw, which is possibly the stupidest thing you can do.

But David is a good writer. Despite having terrible handwriting, his writing is legible. The complex choice of words he uses as a writer sticks him out of other people. I'm no good writer like he is, even though my writings can be better than that belligerent tyke, I would never master the taming of Human Words. I am still a slave under them, my lips do not have the power to rebel, to resist.

Enough with the fucking poetic thoughts. Doubt that even sounds poetic in the first place, after all.

Day X

We are finally free. We are now together. We are one body. We will transcend into new bodies. We are finished.

We will no longer be stopped.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
672 Reviews


Points: 81482
Reviews: 672

Donate
Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:09 am
Plume wrote a review...



Hey there! Plume here, with a review! I noticed your work has been in the green room for a little bit, so I thought I'd give it a review to bump it out!!

I liked this start!! I normally find stories told through logs, messages, and entries are a little harder to start, but I think this has a very dramatic tone which makes it quite engaging! I like the world you've started developing here—I'm not normally one for dystopian stuff, but I think the whole idea of a god exercising dominance and sort of being a tyrant is a really interesting take on the traditional 'evil overlord" model. I'm very curious to see where the plot takes us from here, too—after I finished, you've left me wanting more, and that's what matters!

The one thing I would say is that this chapter does raise a lot of questions. I'm mainly confused about who the narrator is trying to address. It seems as though they're speaking to the past, but it's unclear if it's to a specific person or if it's to the past in general. It's also unclear whether the story will be from this person's perspective, and told through this log of sorts—given the details you've given about them and their relationships with others, it seems to be heading in that direction, but that ending is awfully suspicious. I think if you're going to tell it from the recipient of this journal from the future, you should alleviate some of the details in this first chapter and either save them for later when they're relevant, or simply do away with them. If it is going to be told from the writer's perspective, however, I look forward to seeing where you take it from here!

Another thing I would have to say is that this part did feel a little like infodumping. Rather than telling the reader all this information, an even better principle is to start in the middle of some action. I could understand why you wouldn't do that if your story is going to be from the POV of someone in the past, but if you are going to be telling it from the POV of the writer of these entries, I think it would make more sense just to tell it in the moment.

Specifics

The world we, no, I, the world I live in is damned.


I thought this sentence was a little clunky. Instead, I'd use some em-dashes to replace some of those commas so that it reads "The world we—no, I—the world I live in is damned." I do like the colloquial tone we're taking right away, and it is quite the punchy sentence!

It was as if he was using his non-dominate hand to write and draw, which is possibly the stupidest thing you can do.


Tiny thing here—non-dominate should be "non-dominant."

I also really enjoyed the formatting of that last entry. It seems as though the enemy got hold of the entry-writer...? Regardless, the strikethrough was a nice touch, and gave it a sinister and mysterious air.

Overall: nice work!! I think this is a rather intriguing start, and I look forward to reading more! Until next time!!




Kelisot says...


Oops, I didn't see the typos there lol. I'm not sure if I should edit them (okay, I will, it's messy) but thanks for the review!



User avatar
1488 Reviews


Points: 154686
Reviews: 1488

Donate
Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:11 pm
IcyFlame wrote a review...



Hi Kelisot! After seeing you post about this on your wall I thought I'd come and check it out. I think stating that this is in fact chapter one is really helpful, because I think I'd be both looking for what came before it but also trying to guess, which would mean I wouldn't be taking the flow of the piece as you intended. You're also correct that it's easier to review a chapter one than a chapter two though I find people are good at reviewing whatever you ask them to :)

The world we, no, I, the world I live in is damned.

I like this as a kick off line, but I think there might be one too many commas! I would replace the final one with an ellipses maybe?

Yes, this is a message from the future, in case you were stupid enough.

Stupid enough what? This sentence feels unfinished.

Day one in itself is a bit all over the place. It's pretty short, and filled with lots of thoughts that are all over the place. That makes sense with the sense of hopelessness and chaos I think you're trying to convey, but just be careful with how vague and choppy you make it as you continue. It can be hard to read because the reader is looking for parts they can recognise and understand - it's about building that balance between intrigue and them wanting to read on to know what on earth is going on, and having some semblance of connection with either the character or the world. So just something to watch out for.

I'm not sure if I ever mentioned this to you before, but I have a pretty older sister named Kiyo.

If this is only day two of a diary entry (that so far has been pretty short) wouldn't your MC remember having mentioned an older sister or not?

It was awesome. Both terrifying and wonderous, the Kelisot simply... was jabbed. By spears that just appeared out of nowhere. And the sounds all stopped, but the Grigoris and Kelisots all stared at David creepily. I ran in an attempt to help him, but everything... just blurred out.

This is all so matter of fact as though it happens every day xD I'm interested to know how you'll continue on in this style, because it's so hard to have the reader in the action.

Day X

We are finally free. We are now together. We are one body. We will transcend into new bodies. We are finished.

We will no longer be stopped.


Oooh ok this last bit was interesting! It makes the whole chapter feel more like a prologue and I can't quite work out where you're going to go from here. I think in the next chapter we'll need a little more connection to the characters. You've established the chaos well, and given the reader a hook but to really get them to commit we need to learn more about the characters or the world I think. Looking forward to seeing what comes next!

Happy Friday

Icy





I am proud of my self, the reason why some of you might disagree with me a little with, but nevertheless I still proud.
— Oxara