18+ Violence Mature Content

​Chapter 7 RIPped

by Irishpride13

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for violence and mature content.

Chapter 6 RIPped

James lay amidst the wreckage, his senses dulled by pain and shock. Ricardo, ever the steadfast companion, was by his side in an instant. His voice was a mix of concern and urgency. "Shit, James, I mean, Captain, you look like hell." He then called out to others, unseen but nearby, "Hey, he's over here! Help me shift this wreckage!"

Before James couldn't muster the strength to protest or brace himself, he felt the debris that entrapped him begin to move. The sharp, searing pain that followed was unlike anything he had experienced. As the piece of wreckage that had pinned his leg was moved, a horrific realization dawned on him – he now understood why he couldn't feel his leg. The unbearable sensation confirmed his worst fears; a burning fragment of the wreckage had severed his leg from above the knee.

He screamed, not just from the physical agony but also from the shock of the sudden and brutal change to his body. The reality of his situation hit him with full force –

The scene was one of intense emotion and urgency. James's scream tore through the air, a raw expression of both physical agony and psychological shock. "Shit, shit, my leg, my fucking leg. It's... it's..." His voice broke, unable to fully articulate the horror of what had happened to him.

Ricardo, with urgency and concern etched on his face, quickly made his way to James's side. "Calm down, my brother, calm down. You're in shock," he repeated, trying to break through the panic enveloping James.

James was hyperventilating, his breaths coming in rapid, shallow gasps. His mouth hung open in disbelief as he stared at the empty space where his leg had been, now severed just above the knee. The shock of the sight was too much to process, sending his mind into a spiral.

In a desperate attempt to snap James out of his shock, Ricardo delivered a sharp slap across James's face. "Focus, James!" he commanded, his voice laced with both worry and determination.

The slap, though startling, had the intended effect. James's gaze shifted to Ricardo, a flicker of awareness returning to his eyes. "Ok, ok, I’m good," he stammered, struggling to regain some semblance of control over his racing mind and body.

Ricardo's decision to act swiftly, though jarring, was a necessary intervention in the critical situation they found themselves in. Recognizing the urgency, Ricardo quickly assessed the next steps they needed to take.

"We have to move you," Ricardo spoke with a sense of urgency. "We need to get you to the doc at what we're calling base camp. We've named it LZ Maxwell."

James, still grappling with his situation, pointed to a piece of metal protruding from his abdomen, a stark reminder of the severity of his injuries. The sight of it brought a new wave of concern, both for him and for Ricardo.

Ricardo's eyes followed James's gesture, landing on the troubling sight of the metal shard. His response was immediate and visceral. “¡Mierda!” he exclaimed, the word slipping out in his native Spanish in a moment of unguarded reaction.

The seriousness of James's condition was now even more apparent. Not only was he dealing with a traumatic amputation, but he also had a potentially life-threatening impalement. Ricardo knew they had to act quickly and carefully. Any movement would need to be strategic to avoid causing further harm to James.

In this dire situation, Ricardo faced a daunting dilemma. The piece of metal that had impaled James was not only embedded deep within his captain but also lodged firmly in the ground, effectively pinning James in place. This complication made any decision to move him fraught with peril.

Ricardo's mind raced as he weighed the options. Moving James hastily could not only exacerbate his existing injuries but also risk inflicting new ones. More critically, any abrupt or improper movement had the potential to cause severe internal bleeding, which could be life-threatening in a matter of minutes, especially in their current field conditions.

His training kicked in, but so did the realization of the gravity of the situation. Every decision he made in the next few moments could mean the difference between life and death. The urgency to get James medical attention was paramount, yet so was the need to ensure that his condition didn’t worsen in the process.

Ricardo quickly realized the gravity of the situation – it required more hands and expertise than he alone could provide. He scanned the area, searching for any of his shipmates who could assist in this delicate and urgent task. Keeping one hand on James, he offered words of reassurance, trying to keep him both calm and conscious. It was crucial to stabilize James as much as possible before attempting any movement that could exacerbate his injuries.

After a brief but frantic search, Ricardo returned with a group of his shipmates. Together, they quickly formulated a plan. Their first step was to assess the extent of the impalement – they needed to understand how deeply the piece of metal was embedded, both in James and in the ground. This information was critical to determining their next move.

The team set to work, carefully digging behind James's back to reveal the length of the metal shard. They moved with a sense of urgency, yet their actions were measured and cautious, mindful of the potential risks involved. If necessary, they were prepared to move James and the piece of metal together, but everything hinged on the depth of the impalement.

The atmosphere was charged with a mix of focus and fear as Ricardo and his team worked diligently. Every action they took was deliberate and careful, fully aware that any misstep could exacerbate Captain James's already critical condition. The stakes were high, and the weight of their responsibility was a tangible presence among them.

After an intense and nerve-wracking period of careful digging, which seemed to stretch on endlessly, they finally made a crucial discovery. The metal shard, though deeply embedded, extended only about a foot and a half into the ground behind James. This was a critical piece of information—it meant that they could feasibly move James along with the metal piece without causing further damage.

Relieved by this finding, yet aware that there was no time to waste, the team quickly shifted their focus to constructing a makeshift litter. They gathered twisted metal, sturdy branches, and improvised links of cord, creating a carrier that would provide enough support for James’s back and the impaled metal. The litter needed to be stable enough to transport him safely but also flexible enough to accommodate the precarious situation.

Working with a sense of urgency, they pieced together the litter with whatever materials were available, their resourcefulness a testament to their training and experience. Each shipmate contributed, bringing their individual skills and strengths to the task at hand.

As they readied the litter, the seriousness of the task ahead remained at the forefront of their minds. They were about to undertake a delicate operation, moving their injured captain to a safer location and closer to the medical attention he desperately needed. It was a moment that required not just physical strength but also a deep sense of camaraderie and trust. In these moments, they were more than just a crew; they were a lifeline, united in their mission to save one of their own.

part 2

James was handled with utmost care as the crew moved him, their movements slow and deliberate to minimize his discomfort. The litter was positioned under him swiftly, a coordinated effort that demonstrated their training and teamwork.

Throughout this tense process, maintaining eye contact with James was difficult for the crew. They focused intently on their task, aware that any misstep could cause James further pain. James, for his part, was clearly in a significant amount of pain, as evidenced by the stream of curses he bellowed. His words were a raw expression of his agony and frustration, echoing his distress.

Despite the challenging nature of the situation, the crew understood the necessity of their actions. Moving James, despite the pain it caused, was critical for his survival. They proceeded with a sense of urgency, yet were careful to handle him as gently as possible.

Once James was securely on the litter and positioned as comfortably as possible given the circumstances, Ricardo knelt beside him. His expression was one of concern mixed with determination, reflecting the gravity of their situation.

"Captain, we'll try to move slowly so you won't get jostled too much," Ricardo said, his voice steady and reassuring. "But we also need to move with some urgency. We'll find a steady balance between the two."

Ricardo's words were not just instructive but also comforting. He was well aware of the delicate balance they needed to strike – moving swiftly enough to get James the medical help he urgently needed, yet gently enough to prevent causing him further pain or exacerbating his injuries.

The crew, ready to transport James, prepared to embark on the cautious journey to their makeshift base camp. Their faces were set in expressions of focused resolve, understanding the crucial nature of their task.

James, feeling the pain with every movement, nonetheless trusted in Ricardo and the crew. Their competence and care in this critical moment were a small comfort in the midst of his suffering. As they began their careful journey, each step was a testament to their solidarity and unwavering commitment to their captain's welfare

Below is the official debriefing from survivors of LZ Maxwell:

Sergeant Conrad, Lucas, "United Earth Marines"

"I served under Captain Hunter when he was in the Marines, before he transitioned to OCS (Officer Candidate School). Afterward, he requested an interservice transfer. He's a tough bastard; his survival is a testament to his remarkable resilience. He's seen the worst of it, serving on the front lines of the Inner Colony Wars.

After we pulled him from the wreckage of his escape pod, the scene was dire. He was impaled, missing his left leg, and part of his left hand was gone. Incredibly, he managed to stay conscious until we reached him. The pain must have been unimaginable, yet he didn't pass out until we were halfway back to the LZ.

Once we got him back to the LZ, our medical supplies were severely limited. Thankfully, both the combat medic and the ship's doctor were on hand. In a critical procedure, with no painkillers available, they removed the piece of metal from his abdomen while he was semi-conscious. His endurance during this ordeal was nothing short of extraordinary."

Corporal.Anderson,Olivia, United Earth Marines, Combat Medic

"Captain Hunter's survival is nothing short of a miracle. Considering the severity of his injuries – an abdominal impalement, a traumatic amputation, and significant blood loss – it's astonishing he made it to LZ Maxwell alive. The medical challenges he faced were extreme. The impalement itself was a critical issue; the metal piece piercing his body could have easily caused more damage with every jolt and bump during the transport from the crash site.

The fact that the metal shard, despite being jarred and bumped over a hundred times during the journey, did not sever the main blood vessel leading to his liver is miraculous. In my experience, such injuries often have fatal outcomes, especially in field conditions. His endurance and the body's response in such a situation are incredibly rare. It almost feels like divine intervention played a part in keeping him alive until we could get him proper medical attention at the LZ.

As a combat medic, I've seen a lot of injuries in the field, but Captain Hunter's case will forever stand out in my mind for the sheer improbability of his survival under those circumstances."

Civilian contractor/Medical specialist/ Jonathan Hendrix M.D /Ships dr./ Formally United Earth Navy.

"My background includes five years in the United Earth Navy, after which I pursued further education and returned as a civilian contractor. Despite my experiences, nothing quite prepared me for dealing with a crash landing situation. The pressure was immense when Captain Hunter was brought to my makeshift operating 'table' – if you can call it that.

Civilian Contractor/Medical Specialist, Jonathan Hendrix, M.D., Ship's Doctor, Formerly United Earth Navy

I had to act immediately and with utmost care. The foreign object lodged in his abdomen was precariously close to a major blood vessel leading to his liver. Any wrong move on my part, a sever, a cut, even a nick, and it would have been nearly impossible to save him. The stakes were incredibly high.

Once the object was cautiously removed, the next challenge was to assess the extent of the internal damage. I had to manually explore his abdomen, carefully feeling for any additional injuries. It was a delicate and grim task, knowing that every second counted.

I used every bit of suture material available to me in an effort to close the wounds. My resources were stretched to their limits, but I managed to stabilize him as best as I could under the circumstances.

After our rescue and once we reached a better-equipped medical facility, Captain Hunter would need to undergo another surgery. The stitches I placed were meant to be temporary, primarily to stabilize him for the journey. They would need to be removed and replaced by more comprehensive surgical work. His condition was critical, and while we managed to get him out of immediate danger, he was far from out of the woods."

PKMichelle wrote a review...

Hello friend!
I'm here to check out the next chapter of this stellar novel!

Per my interpretation, this was insane! But in all of the best ways! It painted many vivid pictures, and some were very uncomfortable, but they were all fitting for the circumstances of this chapter!

We're back on the planet James crash-landed on, and we're finally able to see that James got the help he needed, but not until he went through excruciating pain, challenged the will of his entire crew, and shocked the world with his survival.

This was an amazing chapter, and it definitely kept me on edge the whole time!

If I could offer any sort of advice, it would be a real itty-bitty thing. But when you were talking about Ricardo speaking to James and telling him how they were going to transport him, you said,

Ricardo's words were not just instructive but also comforting.

The way this sentence is worded is a little confusing, and I feel like it would make a little more sense if you removed the "also".

It's saying that he wasn't this, but he was also this, and those two things don't really go together. It's a bit contradictory, in a sense.

Hopefully that makes sense, but yeah, the "also" kind of just makes it a little strange to read, so getting rid of it might clear that up.

But, obviously, this is just a suggestion, and it's always up to the writer, so please take this criticism lightly and know that I mean nothing negative by it—only trying to provide a somewhat useful critique.

If I had to pick my favorite part, ummmmm.... I hate to say it, but... there would be a few! A lot of incredible things happened in this chapter!

The first thing that really caught my eye was the many ways you showed how dangerous and terrifying the whole situation was. One way in particular that you showed this was when you said,

His response was immediate and visceral. “¡Mierda!” he exclaimed, the word slipping out in his native Spanish in a moment of unguarded reaction.

Someone instinctively speaking in their native tongue is a really good indication of how shocked or surprised they are, which can generally highlight the severity of a situation, and you showed this very well, so kudos to you for that!

The next thing that I really enjoyed was the way you showed how much everyone cared about James. There were some very heartfelt scenes and you portrayed their regard for him very well, especially when you said,

Throughout this tense process, maintaining eye contact with James was difficult for the crew.

The fact that none of the crew could even look at him in this beat-up stage does a really great job showing how much they look up to him and respect his image. They wanted to reserve the way they knew him and not accept him in the state he was in, which is a beautiful depiction of love and comaraderie, so good job with that!

The final thing that I genuinely liked in this chapter was the end, when everyone involved was describing the encounter, and they all seemed to have the general consensus that the fact that James was still alive was a miracle.

Seargent Conrad said,

Incredibly, he managed to stay conscious until we reached him. The pain must have been unimaginable, yet he didn't pass out until we were halfway back to the LZ.

Corporal Anderson said,

The fact that the metal shard, despite being jarred and bumped over a hundred times during the journey, did not sever the main blood vessel leading to his liver is miraculous.

And Doctor Hendrix said,

Any wrong move on my part, a sever, a cut, even a nick, and it would have been nearly impossible to save him. The stakes were incredibly high.

The fact that multiple different people gave multiple different accounts, but they all still agreed that what James went through was insane and almost completely unlikely, does a phenomenal job of showing just how drastic the situation was. These quotes painted the final image of James and left a lasting image of how torn up he was, and they did it in such a raw, enticing way! You did an incredible job with that, and it was amazingly gut-wrenching!

This entire chapter was very scary and showed the improbable things James went through in an absolutely stellar way!

Overall, I had a lot of fun reading this chapter! It had a lot to offer and was exactly what I was waiting for after finding out about the crash landing! You did an outstanding job with literally everything, and I look forward to reading more from you!

Thank you for taking the time to write and post this, and I hope this review is of some use to you!

Goodbye for now! I hope you have a magnificent day (or night) wherever you are!

Sometimes wisdom came from strange places, even from giant teenaged goldfish.
— Rick Riordan, The Mark of Athena