12+

Libraries | Chapter 2 | Oh no.

by Inferno

Finally, we arrived at our destination. It had big dark green letters standing tall on a one-story building. It read “dollar store”. Eden and I locked our bikes up to a tall silver pole and walked in. The transparent door jingled as I pushed it open. A small sign secured to the entrance read, “We’re hiring!”

A generous whiff of that… unique smell that dollar stores have rushed into my nose. I saw Zoe (the manager and worker of the store) sitting in the cashier’s desk straight ahead of us, typing furiously on her computer. She had wavy, streaked, dirty blonde hair. Her beautiful emerald green eyes were like that of a tiger’s. She was focused on her hard work that she didn’t seem to notice us entering the building, because when Eden greeted her, she almost jumped out of her skin. The click-clacking of her fingers against the keys halted abruptly.

“Sorry Zoe! We didn’t mean to scare you.” I apologized. Eden nodded in agreement.

“No, no. It’s fine.” She sighed, placing her hand over her heart, covering her silver name plate that was secured to her green pinafore.

“You’re jumpy today, Zoe.” Eden commented from behind me. I elbowed her in her ribs as a warning. She let out a humph.

“Heh. Yeah, I guess I am.” Zoe started drumming her fingers against her granite desk in nervousness. Eden shrugged then wandered off into the snack aisle. After a moment of silence, I heard Eden.

“WHAT! I didn’t know they sell this here! YUM-MY!!” Eden whooped vehemently. The ruffling of what sounded like a chip bag filled my ears. I chuckled. Zoe didn’t share my enthusiasm. She had that same fearful expression on her face.

“Hey. You okay?” The white/beige tiles gleamed under the dull light as I walked up to where she was sitting.

“Huh? What?” She blinked, as if she just woke up from a dream. That wasn’t very reassuring.

“I was just asking if you’re okay. It looks like you’ve seen a ghost.” I repeated sympathetically.

“Oh. Um. Sorry, I’m fine.” She replied, shivering at the word “ghost.” I wasn’t convinced. Her eyes darted back and forth, as if she was expecting something horrifying to happen. I gave her a look that said: you-can’t-seriously-expect-me-to-believe-that. She sighed once more.

“Okay. I’m not fine.” After several moments she admitted it.

“There we go. What’s wrong?”

“Well there- there was… um…” She drifted off. I raised an eyebrow to urge her on. She took down a big gulp, like she was trying to feed herself her own saliva.

“Look. I’ve been having a…” She continued,”…weird day. Okay?” She avoided meeting eyes with me.

“Okay…” I let off. I wasn’t about to force her to tell me what was wrong, but I could tell that something was really nagging at her. I went to find Eden. It shouldn’t have been hard, considering that the store was so small, but I couldn’t seem to find her. Scanning through each aisle, I got more and more worried as I past each empty one. Suddenly, I heard the chatter of voices outside of the dollar store. I tilted my head, wondering who it was. I started to head out of the store toward the noise, but suddenly I felt a strong hand on my shoulder.

“Gemma! Don’t go out there.” Zoe was standing right behind of me, her voice was shaky and filled with concern. Her eyes looked down on me, filled with disquietude.

“What do you…“ I couldn’t finish before I heard Eden’s voice.

“NO!!!” She screamed in a high pitched screech. My heart skipped a beat. Someone was messing with Eden. I couldn’t think of anything except getting to her. I pulled out of Zoe’s grasp and pushed open the ringing door.

“No don’t-“ I didn’t let her finish. My friend was in trouble. Slamming the door behind me, I scanned the area. There was our bikes still locked up to the pole, but Eden was nowhere in sight. There was just an asphalt parking lot with one red car I recognized as Zoe’s. I heard voices to my left. Lots of voices. At least five people. They were coming from behind a tall, towering brick wall. It was very old and vines were sprouting from in between each dull beige brick. I gulped, suddenly full of fear. I knew exactly what was waiting behind that wall, and I was not looking forward to meeting it.

Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:34 am
KaeRae88 wrote a review...

Hey!!! My name is KaeRae, just wanted to give a few suggestions when I'm reading.

It had big dark green letters standing tall on a one-story building. It read “dollar store”.
Maybe combining the two sentences would sound better instead of having one really short. Such as,
It had big dark green letters standing tall on a one-story building that read “dollar store”.

Just a little farther on,
A small sign secured to the entrance read, “We’re hiring!”
Although I do like how you are using imagery to give the reader more knowledge about the setting, you already said that there 'was a sign that read'. So maybe instead of repeating the same phrase say something like,
the transparent door jingled as I pushed it open, and a now hiring sign hung securely to the door.
There are many ways you can revise it, but just a suggestion.

I saw Zoe (the manager and worker of the store) sitting in the cashier’s desk straight ahead of us, typing furiously on her computer.
Just use commas instead of parenthesis :D

This sentence could be better written as,
After several moments, she finally gave in and admitted, "okay. I’m not fine.”
I just think it makes more sense that you have 'admitted' before the statement, but that is just a personal opinion.

My favorite part was definitely the cliffhanger ending though!
I knew exactly what was waiting behind that wall, and I was not looking forward to meeting it.
It adds a lot of dramatic pause for the next chapter, and even makes me excited to see what's to come. Overall, great job! I look forward to seeing how you write this out!

hope this helps,
Kaerae

AmayaStatham wrote a review...

Salutations, Inferno!

Amaya here, ready to dive into the pages of this intriguing story. 📚!

Buckle up, 'cause we're diving into my review magic! ✨

The Good Stuff:

First of all, let's talk about the parts that really rocked!

Another chapter of Libraries. And oh it gets interesting…A shop lady, Zoe, who’s been scared to death and’s afraid the thing that scared her will also get to her customers, namely our iconic duo Gemma and Eden.

But then Eden disappears. As Gemma’s trying to search for her she gets stopped by Zoe, which makes Gemma question Zoe’s behaviour even more. Could it be a ghost? Could it be multiple ghosts or just sth entirely else? I wonder…

Then the story ends with a mysterious cliffhanger leaving the readers wondering what happened to Eden and why the scream, and what happened to Zoe and why the ghost face?

You did a marvellous job, amazing dialogues, and a great character introduction of Zoe. She gets in the story nicely and not abruptly.

Areas to Improve:✒️

The following suggestions are merely to help you improve on your writing and not to offend you in any way. Feel free to skip these suggestions, if these are not what you aim for.

I saw that you gave a lot of explanation of Zoe’s appearance, I did want to say that if she’s an important character that’s great. But if she’s a minor or just for that scene do keep in mind that a lot of unnecessary details can overwhelm them. This is merely a tip to help you out! :)

Secondly, I did think this chapter was a little short. (Maybe this is just me) I don’t know if you did it on purpose to keep the cliffhanger, but I think it shouldn't be a problem if it was a little longer. Not too long of course, but like the first one.

Well, that’s all the critique I had. This is a great piece, awesome job!

Nailed It!💐

Nitpick: The sentence sounds better without the “of”

This is definitely my favourite part. The emotion that you’ve captured there of Zoe’s scaredness, is great. The reader really gets dragged into the story over here. Amazing!

Overall Feelings:

This was a nice little addition to the first chapter. As I said before great character introduction of Zoe, and nice writing style. You did a great job with this chapter!

Have a nice day or night further! Keep writing! You are amazing!

Amazingly yours,
Amaya Statham
– Be yourself and keep writing! 📖🎉

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong.
— Voltaire