12+

Daydreaming

by ClearNights

Like the curtain of a theater closing, as the room goes dim, I can feel myself drifting off. It’s a familiar feeling, one I’m all too familiar with. However, this isn’t the warm calmness that you may feel as you lay in bed, drifting into a deep slumber, shrouded in darkness. Rather, it’s a dim darkness, that can shape and transform into the most wonderous sights and colors, or even to a dark and dreary mess of void. I, however, find it to be a calming blue, unlike other days, when it may be dashing colors of red, with splashes of green, or yellow. I find myself lost in this sense of calm and serenity, away from the realities awaiting me once I leave this place. 

This process has seemingly become somewhat of a hobby, or a pastime of sorts. I find myself drifting into this lull of serenity, a place where only yourself and your thoughts are present. This place can be viewed as a wonderful experience filled with joy and happiness, leaving a warmth within you; but, just like everything else in this world, it can also be a terrifying and fearful experience. I have found that it can even be a battle between your mind and consciousness.

A sunny meadow, with dew covered leaves and foliage, could take a turn into your worst nightmare, forcing you to relive hellish traumas. Your mind and consciousness, while seeming similar, have differences. Your mind, which you are in control of, can dream up whatever you could imagine, with you as the ruler. Whereas your consciousness can reach into the back of your mind, digging up whatever has been buried, and replacing your sights with a gruesome display, or unwanted memories of your past.

I’ve found that more often than not, I’m simply standing on a line with the world in front of me to my right, and the world beneath my eyes to my left. Waiting to be blown by a strong wind one way or the other, often finding that my left side feels chilly. I find that this concept of reality, of what is real and not imagined, seems almost.. superficial. The lines constantly blurring between real life and my own other world. As I drift back into reality, I find the line that separates these two worlds, a blur. 

As time dances on, I can feel myself changing, day by day. I almost feel a sense of calm, I feel disconnected, yet the most connected that I have ever felt. 

Fri May 17, 2024 6:59 am
writingwizad says...

Brilliant!!!!

Fri May 17, 2024 6:58 am
writingwizad says...

Brilliant!!!!

Thu May 16, 2024 3:20 am
rattarmunsif01 says...

Amazing!! Loved the way you described it.!
Keep it up.!!

You are doing great...!

Tue May 14, 2024 12:34 am
ZayZayAG says...

I love this so much! Keep it up!

Mon May 13, 2024 9:21 am
anasahmad4565 wrote a review...

OMG! I'm utterly stunned by the story full of vivid metaphors and the complexities in it. Truth be told, the first part of this story deeply resonated within my heart cuz hither i'm also a bit intrigued by the first line though it's revealed hope and authenticity,and i feel it like that way, remarkably, it's a third time of mine i'm reading this first part. The rest part of this story is fabulous.
And at last i wants to thank you for a flabbergast story i've ever read. May in future your pen never cease to write such stories of intrigue..

Mon May 13, 2024 5:03 am
PBandM says...

As the room goes dim and you feel yourself drifting off, your words beautifully capture the experience of entering a different realm of consciousness. It's fascinating how this state can be both calming and filled with wonder, but also hold the potential for fear and turmoil. Your description of the battle between the mind and consciousness paints a vivid picture of the complexities within. Your writing truly engages the reader and leaves them wanting to know more. Keep up the great work!

Mon May 13, 2024 5:01 am
PBandM wrote a review...

Mon May 13, 2024 3:58 am

First Impression: This was quite the little tale here. A deep dive into the kind of topic you don't immediately expect but one that does indeed lend itself to quite a lot of thinking there.

Oooh this is quite an intriguing start there with that description. It really ties in nicely with that metaphor to create quite a powerful little image of this moment here and it really captures a rather powerful moment of just going into this calming place away from the stress of life. Lovely way to kick this off.

Oooh this is a lovely way to show how a mind can work. I'm loving the imagery there of such a serene and beautiful landscape just building on that calming escape from reality and how you can remain in control of that as you're just trying to relax whereas it's much trickier when your consciousness can dig up all sorts of horrors without you being able to stop it.

Hmm well that is quite the ending there. Given the title of Daydream I was expecting something on a much simpler note but you've really dived quite deep right here and brought up some rather deep connection there about how your mind can be during something like a daydream and that exploration there about reality and trying to escape from it and the effects that this creates.

Overall: Overall I think this was quite a lovely little tale. It packs a lot of power into something quite so short and in the end really leaves you with quite a bit to think about there.

Kate

monkeyladder2 says...

The scene you've created is beautifully vivid and evocative. The imagery of the "theatre curtain" closing with the room growing dim, the sensation of drifting off, and the serene, calm blue enveloping everything paints a mesmerizing picture. This sense of tranquility, coupled with the idea of it being a temporary escape, is incredibly relatable.
The distinction between the mind and consciousness, and the way they can either bring joy or terror, is intriguing and adds depth to your description. The balance along the thin line between reality and imagination, constantly blurring, creates an intriguing perspective

ClearNights says...

Thank you! i'm really glad that you liked it :)

I don't care what the miserable excuse is for showing the death of books, live, on screen. Men, I could understand; but books! -
— Edwin Morgan, From the Video Box 2