z

Young Writers Society



Chapter 8 of "Tainted Life" by Callum Marshall.

by Calmal


Chapter 8: A Change of Scenery.

Chief Glyuray Harvester Teryl Anker.

The large tanker headed towards the facility orbiting Hacac’s sun, was intent on leaving with a full cargo of Glyuray. The process in itself was simple enough for even the thickest tramp to understand. It was discovered back in the Early Expansion period by the Undrux Empire, a large ship heading back to Undhom’s orbit had ruptured their high efficient carbon engines. They were taking back plants from Undhom’s largest moon, Uxveron, when a small meteor had hit the main jet and all fuel was lost within an hour. With no propulsion or orbit, the ship was doomed to fall towards the sun and then the strangest thing had happened.

The plants were just starting to suffer from the high heat off the solar flares when they started to glow a bright green on the border of aqua and a similar coloured thick soupy concoction had oozed from the plants and had, in the chaos, been inadvertently passed to the engines. The resultant force was explosive, causing the large ship to shoot towards Undhom at an enormous speed. The pilots safely ejected from the fast oval asteroid soon after entering the atmosphere and whilst the result was crude, the basic concept had been established and Glyuray was born.

All standard ships used a Glyuray engine and most Empires funded themselves though a small level of trade occurred. Chief Harvester Teryl Anker was in his office studying several files including that standard month’s quota when his secretary’s face appeared hovering above his desk.

“Sorry to disturb you sir, but Ms Edwina Eton is requiring your audience. She says it is important.”

“Alright, begin transmission.” With a nod the young secretary disappeared and was replaced by the elderly head of Ms Eton, the HAC’s head of fuel distribution among the Empire. Once an enthusiastic woman the 60 year old had lost her beauty and had accepted the job only to pay the bills. She was a straight talking woman who never accepted no for an answer.

“Anker, I have an impressive promotion offer for you. As you know, the Emperor and Director have begun construction of Earth’s colony. They are already making room for the spaceport and that means they need Glyuray. How would your family like a new home on Earth, as we are offering a permanent move for you to head up the facility in Earth’s sun? All bills will be paid for and you will be given a large house not too far from the spaceport itself. It all comes with a handsome salary of 550,000 credits in the first year and then a little extra commission for the sales of each year.”

“You must understand” Teryl started to reply “My family have had a recent shake up. My mother died last week and father isn’t talking to anyone, my sisters are missing from their holiday and my children are suffering form bullies at school. We are not in a good position at the moment, maybe in a month.”

“But surely” Eton persisted “with all the strife at home and away you could do with a move to Earth and lose these bullies of your children. As for your sisters, as I have told you, we are working on sending an emergency transport there to pick them and the other passengers up but it’s hard to get hold of them. Your father will simply have to accept his wife’s tragic accident and move on, you can take him with you if you so wish. Surely you know that I need my best man there ASAP. All expenses paid for the first year if you accept.”

Teryl despised the old woman for the way in which she so easily wrapped people around her finger and persuaded them to do her bidding but he had to agree with her. His family could do with a move to get away from all the problems, and that was a handsome salary she was offering.

“Alright you’ve twiddled me Ms Eton. I’ll take it but I want every cent of that money in my bank account at the end of the year.” Said Anker as a small smile appeared on Edwina’s face.

“Good. The transport will arrive tomorrow for a three day trip to Earth. Go home and spend the afternoon packing.” The hologram dissipated as the deal was made. Teryl sighed and fell back into his chair with a cold feeling, Julia always make these decisions with me he thought. I hope she won’t be too upset. He rose and left his office past his secretary.

“Enjoy your new job sir” she murmured quietly.

“I hope you do to.” The girl looked up curiously “You’re my secretary and unless you work where I work.”

“You’re taking me with you sir?”

“Of course, unless you wish to stay here.” With a squeak the girl came up to Teryl and thanked him wordlessly, speaking of how she had always wanted to go to Earth but could not afford a place on the colonisation plan. She scurried away with him to the small transport ship waiting in the dock port. With a nod to the pilot, the small engines blasted away from the large harvester, past the docking harvester and towards Hacac preparing to tell his family their move.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.






You can earn up to 198 points for reviewing this work. The amount of points you earn is based on the length of the review. To ensure you receive the maximum possible points, please spend time writing your review.

Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 2049
Reviews: 9

Donate
Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:44 pm
Calmal says...



I assure you, you will see all the characters many times




User avatar
30 Reviews


Points: 4198
Reviews: 30

Donate
Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:33 pm
Stealth_Slicer wrote a review...



Ok I’m still reading, but I am still a bit confused by the changes each chapter. I hope that you go back to other characters soon. I think my favourite part is the conflict between Das and Jic, and I’d like to know more about them.

All the best.





I have writer's block. I can't write. It is the will of the gods. Now, I must alphabetize my spice rack.
— Neil Gaiman