z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Day I Chose Daddy

by AriesBookworm


The following events are a true story

   It's hard to believe that around 8-9 years ago I was first learning how to ride a bike. Since my dad was deployed at the time, that left my mom to teach me. She threw me on our neighbor's bike and told me to pedal. We were in that cal-da-sac for hours in the unbearable Virginia summer heat. My mom was frustrated with me because I wasn't learning as quickly as my brother did and our neighbor's kids could both already ride their bikes. I fell several times and kept hurting myself. It was hot, I was crying, my knees were bleeding, and I had to listen to my mom go on about how she would make me sleep outside if I couldn't learn how to ride a bike.

In a moment I told my mom, "I want my daddy."

   She then turned to our neighbor and said angrily, almost embarrassed, "She's only saying that because her dad would have picked her up and given her a popsicle."

   And that was the day, one of the worst days of my life, that I chose my dad. Because he would not have screamed at me while I stood there with two bloody knees, he would have picked me and he would have given me a popsicle. I know this because when I finally mastered riding a bike, we moved to a small apartment in North Carolina. We never rode our bikes and by the time we moved to a bigger house when I was 10, I'd forgotten how to ride the bike.

   But you know what? I thank God that I forgot. Because I finally got to experience what it was like to have my dad teach me how to ride a bike. When I broke down in tears because my mom yelled at me, he took me to the gas station and let me pick out an ice cream. And instead of him pushing me away while on the bike, he held onto the handlebars as I pedaled and gently let me go. It's moments like these when you know that even though your parent isn't perfect, you would never ask for anyone else to raise you.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
35 Reviews


Points: 319
Reviews: 35

Donate
Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:21 pm
dm74 wrote a review...



This was a tough read for my own personal reasons. The anecdote you shared about your mom reminded me of my experiences with my own mother.

The imagery portrayed in this work is vivid and I was able to see everything in my own mind.

A line to remember:

It's moments like these when you know that even though your parent isn't perfect, you would never ask for anyone else to raise you.


I think this is very true and relatable to a lot of readers. I am a daddy's girl as well. But I remember as a child, both of my parents would have their moments and I would go back and forth between choosing one parent over the other or wishing I had no parents at all - but isn't that the case for a lot of us?




User avatar
240 Reviews


Points: 16328
Reviews: 240

Donate
Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:23 am
AkuRashomon wrote a review...



This was sweet. Well, I am a daddy's girl too but he won't make me ride a bike because he says it's not good for girls. Although, the memory of your mom yelling at you and your dad taking you to the gas station to buy you ice cream reminds me of when my dad would bring me to the car wash and teach me History. I don't know, I just remembered that memory of my dad and I. Thank you for sharing such a sweet short story. Keep on writing!




Random avatar

Points: 591
Reviews: 15

Donate
Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:46 pm
angxlari wrote a review...



this is such a sweet piece! i'm a daddy's girl and as well so this hit home. the bond between a dad and their daughter is wholesome and almost poetic in itself! i like how you show the contrast between your mom's choices and your dad's choices. this piece is sweetly nostalgic, but also evokes a feeling of resentment mainly toward your mother's actions and how she decided to treat you. i never had a good relationship with my mom, and believe it or not.. she was the one who taught me how to ride a bike! i absolutely hated it LOL.

this writing is really good. i hope to see more like this <3!





Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, for I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.
— Robert Brault