z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Layers I will lay

by Arcticus


Layers I will lay
upon my skeleton.
You'll never know
the cold in my bones
or the beat of my heart,
the cracks in my knees
or the smoke in my lungs


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
158 Reviews


Points: 3874
Reviews: 158

Donate
Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:20 pm
View Likes
Corncob wrote a review...



So, I thought this was a cool poem with a snazzy concept. I don't know if it worked so well as a short poem, however.
First off, period at the end of lungs, right? According to your seemingly consistent punctuation.
Second off, I really think you should elaborate on this. You gave pretty good imagery and descriptions here, but I think this would work really well as a longer poem. However, that is up to you.
Finally, I was little confused by the line saying "or the beat of my heart." The other descriptions seemed to be bad things, things that layered you in a negative way. The beat of your heart just doesn't sound like such a bad thing, right, because it means you're alive and healthy :)
So clear that one up for me, will ya?
Overall rating: 7.5/10
Also, I enjoyed this. It was interesting, descriptive, and provided great imagery. My favorite line:
"the cracks in my knees"
It is cool as a line, and also sounds even cooler fitting in with the other lines.
Keep writing, Autumns.
+1




User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 790
Reviews: 7

Donate
Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:13 pm
View Likes
kynaswords wrote a review...



I like the meaning I'm getting in this poem. The idea of building walls to hide what you're really feeling is something I can relate to pretty well. I think you should get rid of the "or" in the fifth line, since you continue and say "or" just after the next line. In the end, you're also missing a punctuation mark. But other than that, I genuinely enjoyed this short poem.





You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children.
— Madeleine L'Engle, Author