z

Young Writers Society


16+

I Should Have Said Something | 3 | Arcade - Duncan Lawrence

by AmayaStatham


Warning: This work has been rated 16+.

Play the song for a better effect on the story.

Skyla:

The divorce papers were signed and the house was awkwardly quiet.

I missed the old days, the laughter and the joy. I missed Larkin. I missed us. But I knew that we couldn't go back to the way things were. We had changed, and there was no undoing that.

I decided to leave the house for a while, to clear my head. I went to the park, the one where Larkin and I went for our very first date.

*

It was a sunny day, the air was filled with the scent of blooming flowers, and the park was alive with the sound of children playing. We sat on a bench, sharing a bag of popcorn.

‘You like popcorn don’t you?’ I remarked,

I could see that that made him uncomfortable, but he chuckled, ‘Now you’re making it sound like I don’t know how to eat anything else,' he said, his eyes twinkling with amusement.

He tossed a popcorn into the air and caught it in his mouth, a grin spreading across his face. His laughter echoed through the park, it was a simple moment, but one that would forever be etched in my memory.

'Well, I've seen you eat a bag of popcorn faster than anyone else,' I said, nudging him gently with my elbow.

'Guilty as charged,' he admitted, raising his hands in surrender. 'But in my defence, popcorn is delicious.'

We spent the rest of the afternoon on that bench, sharing stories and laughter. Every now and then, he would throw popcorn into the air and catch it in his mouth or just cover me entirely in popcorn when he missed, making me laugh each time.

As the sun began to set, he turned to me, a serious look on his face. 'I had a great time today,' he said, 'Would you like to do this again?'

I looked at him, and I knew my answer. 'I would love to,' I said. I knew that this was just the beginning of our story.

*

As I sat on the bench now, watching the children play, their laughter echoing in the air. It was a painful reminder of what we had lost.

I’m afraid of all I’ll become without him.

Larkin:

I was left alone in the house, the silence killing me. I felt like I was stuck in an arcade game, where every move I made was wrong, and I was just losing points.

I missed Skyla. I missed her laughter, her smile, her warmth. But I knew that things couldn't go back to the way they were. We had changed, and there was no going back.

I decided to go for a walk, to clear my head. I ended up at the beach, the one where we went for our last date before we got engaged.

*

As we sat on the beach that afternoon, I knew that this would be our last date before we’d marry. Skyla didn’t ‘cause she didn’t know anything about the proposal yet.

I had set everything up along with my brother, and her father. Everyone, but Skyla knew what was happening tomorrow. I tried not to act fishy, we’d been dating for seven years already and finished both high school and university. It was time...

But of course Skyla knew something was going on, ‘Are you planning something?’ she asked, narrowing her eyes.

I tried to hide my smile, ‘No, of course not, why would I?’

‘You’re lying,’ she said. She knew I was lying, but I didn’t want to ruin the surprise.

*

As I sat on the sand now, watching the waves crash against the shore. It was a painful reminder of what we had lost.

I’m afraid of all I’ll become without her.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.






You can earn up to 162 points for reviewing this work. The amount of points you earn is based on the length of the review. To ensure you receive the maximum possible points, please spend time writing your review.

Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
980 Reviews


Points: 148
Reviews: 980

Donate
Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:13 pm
View Likes
vampricone6783 wrote a review...



Hello there, human! I'm reviewing using the YWS S'more Method today!

Shalt we commence with the review?

Top Graham Cracker - Skyla thinks about the time she and Larkin ate popcorn at a park bench together, Larkin thinks of the time he and Skyla were at the beach, a proposal on the horizon.

Slightly Burnt Marshmallow - I think that you meant to say “defense” for “defence”, but that’s just one little thing.

Chocolate Bar - I’ve noticed throughout the story that every time Skyla or Larkin reminisces about past moments they had together, they have the same thought at the end. It’s a small detail, but it’s a good one, because it shows how connected they are, even when they’re apart.

Closing Graham Cracker - A short but sweet chapter on summer days and popcorn, of a time when it was just the two of them and the complications of the world weren’t involved. I enjoyed reading this chapter! :>

I wish you a fantastic day/night!





One who sits between two chairs may easily fall down.
— Proverb from Romania and Russia