Old Friendship

by PinkPanther

Some rumbling shame lives
in turning your head back -
silently admitting
you still need that old friend,
and aren't ready to let him go,
even if you won't lose grip
on everything you've shared.

By stealing a glance back
you permit all to see
that you are, in confidence,
scared of shifting into another frame -
a new phase of your life,
that is so unsettling and far
from dear, warm past.

You simply yearn for the comfort of knowing
that the song of old friendship
still rings in his ears,
fills him with tremulous longing,
makes him wistful to recoil
from his step into wan, misty
future.

Is he as frightened and lonely
and insecure? Is he languishing
for some familiarity, like you?
How can you ask that?
Are you still welcome to showcase
your weaknessess 
before an old friend?

The call of old friendship is still strong -
a steady, serene music in your heart
but what about... is it... in him?
A slight but convincing fear you possess,
a chilling vision of your approach
and his response - you, timid,
appear, and he doesn't know you.

Life happens.
Old memories are constantly replaced
with new ones that are
fresh and crisp.
He acquired matter to recollect
which pulsates - tangible, alive...
like a cardinal’s glorious song.

The faded image of you
is deep under piles in his mind,
you tell yourself.
He's not like you, he's brave,
you add.
So he doesn't understand
why you've come.

You battle hard to reject the fear
that you've been forgotten.
You use every mental weapon you possess 
to push the haunting prophecy away.
Yet you still know not what to do.
To seek solace? To look back?
Inside you, the sweet, melancholy song
of old friendship throbs insistently.

Hello! I have this on my very dusty review list so at some point either you asked me to take a look or I saw it and wanted to write you a review. I'm not sure which, but better late than never, right?

1. I like the first stanza. It has a very easy flow and even though there's not much there in the way of imagery, it makes a nice steady opening to the poem.

2. I think the second one needs to speed up a little and be a bit more punchy. I love the image behind 'slipping into another frame' but after that, you trail off in the next three lines. I'd rather see you build on that image or give us another one. There's nothing very interesting in 'warm past' or the idea that a new phase is unsettling. These are things we know and feel and we don't get much from being told them again.

3. I like the idea in the third stanza that this person likes the idea of how an old friendship can be picked up. I'd like to see that more clearly, maybe a comparison of how an old friendship is like a mechanical toy, already assembled and only set aside, while a new friendship is like staring at lots of tiny pieces which still need to be fitted together. I just feel like you need an image in there to help convey your idea and to really solidify what makes an old friendship attractive.

4. I feel like the fourth stanza is just a bunch of questions and none of them very deep or interesting. I think you could cut that and not lose anything from the poem.

5. Again, the fifth stanza isn't very interesting. If you built in some imagery that might help, but I'm not really feeling the fear or uncertainty. I'm not feeling that there's any risk in opening yourself up to find out - maybe you need to focus instead on what would happen if you did. On the idea that it could ruin the old memories you have, that by opening that box up again, you could lose what's inside forever.

6. I like the idea of additional memories in the sixth stanza, but you're not doing much with that and there's very little in stanza seven. I think you could take those two and do something to combine them and maybe add something more. Is the idea that these newer memories are brighter, more shiny, compared to the ghost of old memories?

7. I'd have liked to see more conclusion! The ending feels like a cop out - you're setting the story up but not concluding it for us. It's a little nice in a sense that it's the reader's choice, but I feel there should at least be a touch of finality. Even if it's only their eyes meeting or something.

There's some good stuff here, but I'd like to see stronger imagery and a bit less filler. It feels a little bit too prosaic at the moment and isn't as sharp and crisp as it could be. You don't get many words in poetry so don't waste them!

I hope this helps a little,

Heather xx

Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:31 am
skorlir wrote a review...

Not generally too familiar with free-verse, but I'll give it my best shot. Even forgetting rhyme scheme, timing is still important - and, I would think, the largest component of a poem in free-verse (if it is to be called a good poem) is to time it correctly, as your rhymes cannot save you from stumbling blocks along the way.

Take with salt and mind the edges.

Some rumbling shame lives/in turning your head back -/silently admitting/that you still need that old friend.

A few quick pointers to turn clips into quips:
Personifying shame is good. You say it is "rumbling" and "lives in" some action - it takes on some life from this action, or it is alive as a complement to this action? Is it contained or independent? That's perhaps a weird question, but your two personificating adjectives conflict on this. All metaphor exists in one of those two worlds - contained within a context, or independent from it (and, in the latter case, it is far more important to be clear, because uncertainty can be muddling when something does not seem to fit). Anyway, you may keep that question in mind when writing personification and metaphor, as I often find it helpful in maintaining clarity while expressing emotion. (My opinion: this is a contextual metaphor.)
Remove "that" from "that you still need that old friend." To say "you still need that old friend," you may agree, is stronger than "that you still need that old friend." Prepositions, platitudes, and particles - the three egregious "p"s. Remove them, and your work will be better for it (almost) always. :)
Your last sentence does not match your tempo. Kind of bizarre, but I expected more syllables. The current sequence shifts between 5-syllable, 6-syllable, 8-syllable, so on - I expect, perhaps, that you may shift down at the end of the stanza (which is fine), but it would be oh so much more fluid if you shifted one syllable instead of two (7 to 6 instead of 7 to 5). Maybe you won't like that suggestion, but it is what it is. Plus, in my own opinion, the subtle translocated rhyme "ready to let him go/ even though" needs a follow up. (This latter comment is more relevant than the former, perhaps.)

that you are, maybe, a little/scared of shifting into another frame-

Remove "that." Overall, your subtlety and hinted rhyme is foregone in this stanza - more quip, more clip, and you'll have it whipped. As of right now, it is flaccid.

You simply yearn for the comfort of knowing/that the song of old friendship/still rings in his ears,/fills him with tremulous longing,

Knowing and longing are far displaced, but the "rhyme" (not really a rhyme) works, and I like it. I do not, however, feel so kindly towards the descriptors "delphic, wan, misty." They are each distinct; there is no emphasis on any one adjective, and this makes for some excessive complexity. Also, to call the future "delphic" does nothing for me - what is it supposed to mean? As in, the divined future? Even then, I think delphic is extraneous. Instead, just "wan, misty," should suffice.

are you still welcome to showcase/your weaknesses/before an old friend?

I love this stanza, until I hit these two lines. Make these lines more active; attach the subject to the verb. "are your weaknesses still welcome/before an old friend?" perhaps.

but what about... is it... to him?

Your stanza is limpid; and then, this. I am unsure what the aim is of this line, but I fear that (as I cannot guess its purpose) it falls short.
and his response - you, timid/ appear, and he doesn't know you

This is beautifully emotional, but its structure shrouds its magnificence. I may take undue license in my suggestion, but perhaps this restructuring may give you an idea how to improve:
"and his response - timid, you/approach. Who he does not know."

Life goes on, things happen.

I dislike the usage of "things." Be slightly more descriptive - "Life goes on; it happens" or "Life goes on, changes happen" or something of the like. Just an idiosyncrasy, really. Most any reader will get the gist otherwise, I suppose.
aquired
is misspelled - appropriate spelling (as someone has probably already pointed out) is "acquired."
He acquired matter to recollect/that is still tangible, alive, pulsing.../like a cardinal's glorious song.

I think what you mean to say is that matter is used to solidify recollections; but, matter does not make up a cardinal's song - beauty is not perfectly emulated by clay. So I would add the preposition (gasp) "which" to this line: "that which is still tangible, alive, pulsing..." And then the last line comes out of nowhere. You should connect matter and recollection to a birdsong somehow - bring it all together.

the faded image of you/is deep under piles in his mind

To have an active voice: "The faded image of you/is piled deeply in his mind."

You battle hard/to reject that prophecy

"that prophecy"'s antecedent is too far displaced. That is to say, "the prophecy" in question is the fear he may not remember you - but this is discussed a full two stanzas prior (unless I am wrong, and then the antecedent is even worse removed). So reintroduce it somehow to clarify. For instance, "You battle hard/against the fear you are forgotten".
ALSO: egregious "p"-latitude: "in order to." Just say "to push it away." Removes the fluff words. :)
Vary sentence structure in the next line - say "Yet still you know not what to do." It makes it fancier - or, if you wish to avoid fanciness, leave it the same.
Remove "To," in both instances, next line - so that it reads: "Seek solace? Look back?"
The ending, the last two lines - beautiful. Leave them the same and never change.

General feelings:
Excellent emotion, excellent depth, excellent in general. But you are crippled functionally by some weaker prose. Fix the superficialities and avoid the egregious "p"s (particle, platitude, preposition), and this is winsome work. Restructure for variance and service the ailing memory of the common quick-reader, and you'll get people to re-read. And re-read. And wonder. And, eventually, it'll be canonical. Well, maybe not, but it will be better. :)

~Skorlir

indieeloise wrote a review...

Hey, Panth! Here with a review for you, as requested and in return. Let's begin. :)

Something that caught my eye:

Some rumbling shame

Ohh. Oh. That is beautiful. Lovely subtle rhyme.

~

I notice that throughout this poem, it's almost like you try too hard to use big words, and add an adverb or two in with them to add to the effect. (ie, “permit,” “tremulous,” “delphic,” “acquired matter to recollect,” “languishing” is the worst offense here) Honestly, this poem sounds like you slaved away writing it more than something that you drew from your soul. Not that all poetry must be drawn from within, but in narrative poetry, you want the reader to be convinced it is, and "ooh" and "ahh" and tear up because the speaker is so relatable.

I think your best imagery feat was the seventh stanza, about the image of the speaker being shoved under the subject's business and life. Throughout this poem, I pictured a dated Polaroid photo stuffed under piles of work and business documents on the subject’s home desk. The image is from their child-/teenage-hood (they are 25 or so now) and one day he decides to call the speaker, and the speaker who sees the same picture in a frame on his/her desk is mourning the loss of the person who used to be the voice on the other line. You have several phrases in here that would go with this idea, like the mentioned stanza; “shifting into another frame”; “welcome to showcase your weaknesses” (I really loved this); etc. It was just how I pictured it, but maybe if you could implement really crisp, believable, real-life images to go along with this theme, this story, it would make your voice sing louder than all the other poems written about the loss of a friend, something common to life in general.

Best wishes,

~Indie.

LadyPurple says...

I can really relate to this :) this was touching and I enjoyed it. I would love to review but I stink at reviewing poetry.

KatTrain says...

Well... (take this as a compliment)

I started reading it but I had to stop because it made me think of my former best friend, and it was so true.

Tue May 31, 2011 5:29 am
Snoink wrote a review...

Hi PinkPanther! :D

Okay, so I gather that this is a poem about you and a friend moving away? How sad! And you're right... it is a bit awkward to write letters and stuff when you're so far away. :( I mean, modern technology makes that a bit easier (yay for Facebook!) but not too much easier.

Anyway, as far as your poem goes, it was really long, which isn't a problem... I mean, I just read the Aeneid, which is an epic poem (in the literal sense of the word epic!) and that is way longer than this poem! But, the thing was your poem seemed a bit generic. That is, these sorts of things could apply broadly to anyone. It's kind of like vanilla ice cream... yes, it's a safe bet with everyone and it tastes yummy! But, once you have other types of ice cream (there is some homemade strawberry ice cream in my freezer from farm grown strawberries that were picked fresh the day we got them!!) it's really, really hard to want anything else. So, in this case I think being more specific would give your poem some flair and make it really wonderful.

You were friends! Why not describe some key moments in your friendship? For instance, with my bestest friend in the whole world, I would probably remind her of the time I tried to kill her (accidentally!) inner tubing. Whoops! Or maybe that time when I took her into that shop with all the shiny, breakable items... that wasn't a good idea, by the way, lol! Or, maybe the time when I went to her 21st birthday celebration and watched her drink a long island iced tea (it's not iced tea, by the way). Little things like that. :) So, definitely play around with that a bit and personalize it. It'll be so much better then. :D

PandaRawr wrote a review...

Okay, the first half of this that was talking about how you couldn't write a letter to an old friend confused me because you seemed to do it so well. The way parts were worded was as if you were talking to your old friend. I liked the ebd but the idea at the top threw me off. It disrupted the flow. That's just me though

Forever, Writer.

fireheartedkaratepup wrote a review...

Helloo!

First of all, I really like this. I get what you're saying about old friends, because I feel much the same way.

Why it seems so shameful –

It took me a minute to understand what you were saying here-- I thought you meant, "Why does it seem so shameful?" but I think you meant "Why, it seems so shameful." All I added was a comma, but it makes all the difference in the way the sentence is read. (Same thing for the sentence a few lines down.)

Do I even remember,
Her once-familiar name?

I don't think a comma should be at the end of the first line. Not that you shouldn't punctuate your poems, I just don't think you'd pause after "remember".

In the lines after that (but the same stanza), you have a lot of fragments. Try taking out a few periods and replacing them with commas--as a general rule, two words aren't enough for a full sentence. (Sometimes they are, but only you if you have a subject and a verb--"Charlie cried." "How pretty.", however, is not a sentence, unless it's in dialogue, which means quotation marks. I'm rabbit trailing. :backtotopic:)

On the whole, this was very well-written. I just think it needs a bit of polishing.

Percy fell face-first into his pizza.
— Rick Riordan, The Mark of Athena