z

Young Writers Society


16+ Violence

The Adventures of Rose Hood Chapter 32: The Shards of the Evil god

by keeperofgaming


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

I did more work around the guild, and Zath looked minorly disappointed. I guess I did the right thing.

“Rose, are you sure you should be working so much?”

“I lazed out yesterday, so I should work more today.”

“That’s not a go-”

“Anything else for me to do?”

“There’s no way-”

Mammon’s jaw dropped as he beheld the literal shimmering guild hall. He had no missions, so he asked if I could clean it up, so I went a little overboard.

“Rose, this is insane.”

“Yeah, I know I went a little overboard.”

“A little? ROSE, I GAVE YOU THAT JOB TEN MINUTES AGO!!!”

“That long? Dang I am being lazy today as well.”

“Rose.”

“I should go around town and ask if anyone needs help.”

“Rose!”

“Maybe Gallson and Thalias need a few scales?”

“Rose!!!”

“Or I could help Jal-”

“ROSE!!!”

I jumped.

“What?”

“Why are you working so hard? Even you don’t normally do this much. You are making us worried.”

“I... I can’t tell you.”

“I get it... but listen, whatever it is probably won’t be solved by killing yourself through overworking.”

“I... I’m sorry.”

“*sigh* Don’t be, just take a break. Walk around town. Visit the park. I gave you the day off, so enjoy it.”

“Okay...”

I walked out of the guild hall with a sad expression on my face. I guess I panicked since realizing that Sloth made me less empathetic. My worst fear is that I would hurt the innocent, yet I feel a pull to gather more shards. I don’t want to be the bad guy.

Jalad walked by.

“I heard Mammon yelling. I’m guessing he also told you that you are overworking?”

“Yes.”

“Good. You seriously had us all worried.”

“Jalad?”

“Yes?”

“If I told you to kill me, would you, do it?”

“What? Why?”

“I’m just asking.”

“And what would happen if I didn’t in this scenario.”

“The world being destroyed.”

“I don’t know what kind of nightmare you had, but I’ll answer you. If you told me to kill you, or the world would be destroyed. I guess I’d just save you and the world.”

“But what if you couldn’t?”

“Hmm. Well, that will never happen. If you are having nightmares about when you got bloodlusted, don’t worry. Whenever you are in trouble. I will save you. After all, we are best friends.”

“I thought Dallel was your best friend.”

“Eh, we are closer to brothers than friends.”

“Ah, well, I just want you to promise that if I tell you to, you will kill me.”

“Not promising that.”

“Jalad.”

He grabbed my shoulder and looked me in the eyes, his expression serious.

“Listen, Rose. I see you as a sister, and I don’t kill family. I would never be able to kill you.”

With that, he walked off.

‘Sloth, am I able to remove memories?’

‘Duh, we are a god after all.’

‘If I ever turn evil, I will remove all memories of me from them, so they will only see me as a threat.’

‘You do that... I get it.’

‘You do?’

‘Yeah, you care for them, but would you actually accept death if they tried to kill you?’

‘Yes. I already have once.’

‘Then, I will help you.’

‘What?’

‘If you get another Sin, I will silence it myself.’

‘...’

‘Innocence?’

‘Thank you, Sloth.’

‘No problem... Rose.’

I smiled. Sloth seemed surprisingly kind for a shard.

_

I sat in the park, taking a nap, despite Sloth going dormant, she still impacted how easily I rested, of course I was still aware of my surroundings, but my dream was terrifying.

“Innocence, Sloth.”

I saw Sloth in her true form, a beautiful human woman in sleep clothes. I was also in my true form, a catkin child wrapped in cloth. I saw a valkyrie with full armor, Wrath, a fat elven woman dressed in a gold robe, Greed, a succubus not wearing much, Lust, a human woman with a chef’s hat, Gluttony, a dragonkin woman with a crown and purple clothes, Pride, and a small wolfkin woman in beggar’s robes, Envy.

Behind me were two more women. One was an elf wearing white robes and had a deep smile on her face, Peace. The other was a catkin, and she wore a regular citizen’s garb, in her hand was money that she was about to hand to someone that wasn’t here, Benevolence. She stopped smiling.

“Why are we here, Wrath?”

“Benevolence, were you giving to the poor again?”

“Of course, it’s in my nature.”

“We are evil. We should hurt those in need.”

“You can, I won’t. Now, why are we here?”

“To discuss Innocence.”

“Why me?”

“Because you started the Remerge.”

The others looked at me in surprise, but I didn’t know what the big deal was. Neither did Sloth for that matter.

“So? I was tired of my summoner, and she had a way out. Not like she did it with force.”

“That’s not the issue.”

“Then what is?”

“If Innocence does the merger, then we won’t be able to hurt those she cares for. She’s too kind.”

Benevolence stepped forward.

“And what’s so wrong with that?”

“We are the evil god, not the partial evil, not destroyer of only the bad guys. We are the bad guys.”

“Well, what if I don’t want to be evil?”

My question shook Wrath who acted like I had just murdered her entire family.

“What if you don’t want to be evil? You may lack your memories, but even still that’s just insane.”

Even Benevolence looked at me in shock.

“As much as I hate to agree with Wrath, we are still evil. I may like helping, but I don’t stop myself from killing.”

“Neither do I though. I just kill the bad guys though.”

Wrath sighed in relief.

“At least you don’t want us to be pacifists, but I’m still against you doing the merger. Sloth, what were you thinking?”

“That I was tired of doing work, and Rose gave me a perfect way to not do work.”

“Who’s Rose.”

“That would be me.”

This caused them to murmur more.

“Someone named Innocence? Can she even be trusted anymore?”

“She is stronger than us if that’s the case though, plus, we possess weaker bodies. She is her own body; wouldn’t it be better to go for a pure body.”

Then Lust spoke up,

“Honestly, I think we should let her do the merger, but make one of the sins the core.”

“I refuse.”

They all looked at me again.

“If one of the sins is the core, they’ll destroy the world. I don’t want that.”

Peace, Benevolence, and Sloth all nodded.

“Sloth? Even you agree?”

“Eh, Envy, I just don’t like work, I’d have to do too much to destroy things.”

“We need to take revenge though, for what the others did to us.”

“Why?”

Wrath looked at me in shock.

“Why? Why do we want revenge? Because they tore us from our seat and tore us to pieces, simply because they were jealous of our strength. They called us a monster!”

“So, why do we need to prove them right?”

Wrath was taken aback by my response,

“I may not have all of my memories, but I still recognize you, I still understand you. And you said that it’s because I don’t have my memories that I’m skeptical, but I remember when I matured as a dragon.”

They leaned in.

“In that moment, I remembered everything, but you know what I thought? My first thought was, ‘Why did I do those things’ no envy, no wrath, no pride. I was ashamed of myself. So, if you want revenge, then take it on your own. I will never merge with you unless you promise to never hurt an innocent life.”

Each shard had a different reaction. Wrath was fuming. Envy was awestruck. Lust was... yeah. Pride looked confused. Gluttony seemed impressed by my boldness. Greed looked disappointed. Sloth looked cheerful that I stood up for myself. Benevolence seemed encouraged by my resolve. Finally, Peace gave a light nod, encouraging me.

Wrath grabbed me.

“Listen here, brat. I will be the core, if I have to rip you apart to do it.”

I smiled.

“Try me.”

Then I woke up

“She’s alive!”

I opened my eyes and saw that I was in the guild’s medical room. I tried sitting up, but Mammon pushed me down.

“Don’t move, you will hurt yourself.”

“What happened?”

Dallel rushed in with Royce and Jalad.

“Rose, are you okay? Don’t scare us like that!”

“Scare you? I was taking a nap.”

“A nap?”

They looked shocked. Royce spoke first.

“Rose...”

“Yes?”

“During your ‘nap’ your heart stopped entirely. You were dead.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
265 Reviews


Points: 48129
Reviews: 265

Donate
Sun May 05, 2024 4:34 pm
View Likes
RavenAkuma wrote a review...



Hello Again, My Friend!

Sorry for the late review, lol. It's me, Raven, and I'd like to review the next chapter in this great story using my Familiar method! Let's dive in, shall we? Heh heh heh...

What The Black Eyes See...

Wow, we got an introduction to all the shards, and it didn't disappoint! There were so many great moments; not just from Rose in the real world, consulting her friends with this matter in mind, but from the "Innocence" in her as well. Let's get into the details though.

Where The Dagger Points...

I didn't find anything to put here this time! Good writing job ~

Why The Grin Widened...

Though I like how determined Rose is to counteract the sin she's taken in, and any possible negative effects, though -like her friends- I am concerned about how far she's taking this and where it could lead her. And her justification for all of this...

I guess I panicked since realizing that Sloth made me less empathetic. My worst fear is that I would hurt the innocent, yet I feel a pull to gather more shards. I don’t want to be the bad guy.


Brilliant! I love this description of the shard within her sort of subconsciously pushing her to do things, even though she knows the catastrophe that could come from it. It just put the issue of the shards into an even more dramatic perspective and has me even more eager to see where this goes.

“If I told you to kill me, would you, do it?”


And this question! It reminded me of Rose insisting Jalad and Dallel shouldn't feel anything over her death, while she was fighting Saliad back in the first few chapters, but now it's returned in an even harder form. And Jalad's answers were great...

“Hmm. Well, that will never happen. If you are having nightmares about when you got bloodlusted, don’t worry. Whenever you are in trouble. I will save you. After all, we are best friends.”


Great, indeed, but I can't help wondering if they're realistic...

‘If I ever turn evil, I will remove all memories of me from them, so they will only see me as a threat.’


And it seems Rose agrees, and this prospect was the last thing I needed to get a crazy theory going. Like if this does happen and Jalad, Dallel, Mammon, or whoever her target is set to kill her, if they'll fail on account of either Innocence's spirit showing through -protecting Rose even if they don't remember her, or if one (or all) of the shards will protect her. After all...

I smiled. Sloth seemed surprisingly kind for a shard.


The shards seem to be developing even more of their own unique characters, and though they seem to have an inclination toward evil, they don't seem particularly bound to it with Sloth acting this way. Either way, there's so much to think about here, and I love all the directions this could go!

“In that moment, I remembered everything, but you know what I thought? My first thought was, ‘Why did I do those things’ no envy, no wrath, no pride. I was ashamed of myself. So, if you want revenge, then take it on your own. I will never merge with you unless you promise to never hurt an innocent life.”


And I love how Rose/Innocence stands so firm on her terms here, it just proves the lengths she's willing to go to do the right thing and proves she's the hero of the story.

Ah, and finally...

“During your ‘nap’ your heart stopped entirely. You were dead.”


Woah, what the heck is that about?!?! (O_O)

Our Mad Thoughts...

Overall, awesome chapter, nicely done! :D

Image




User avatar
1001 Reviews


Points: 140
Reviews: 1001

Donate
Thu May 02, 2024 3:16 pm
View Likes
vampricone6783 wrote a review...



Hello there, human! I'm reviewing using the YWS S'more Method today!

Shalt we commence with the review?

Top Graham Cracker - Rose takes a “nap” where she is briefly dead and meets the Sins. Wrath wants her to let them all merge, but she refuses, which angers Wrath greatly.

Slightly Burnt Marshmallow - I think that you meant to write a period for when Rose wakes up, but if not, then please ignore this.

Chocolate Bar - Rose must be going through a lot right now, especially with all of the Sins within her. To reject the merge is brave of her, but Wrath doesn’t seem too happy. I like how she stays determined, hopefully she can still protect her friends.

Closing Graham Cracker - As Rose grows more aware of the Sins, their presence becomes well known. The question remains, will the merge happen? Or will Rose be able to keep it away?

I wish you a fantastic day/night! :>






Just to clarify, the sins aren't currently inside her, her and Sloth's souls were summoned to where Wrath was. Only Sloth is inside her.

Thanks for the review tho.





Oh, thank you for letting me know.



User avatar
11 Reviews


Points: 760
Reviews: 11

Donate
Thu May 02, 2024 4:49 am
View Likes
Animist1 wrote a review...



And I am happy to be the first to review WOW my name is Animist1 and I am here to drop a wonderful review
First of all the story is super nice, and i was
wondering why Rose breath stopped. but I can wait for your next episode tomorrow 😁😁😆 😆
And then I want to thank you for the update about it.
And I want to know if I am able to guess the part about the shards of evil.
So no rush, I will wait for your next episode tomorrow and that is what I have for your story.
And,if I make any mistake notify me





A ruler leads by example, not force.
— Sun Tzu