12+ Language Violence

The Two Year Gamble- Chapter 2: The Name (Rough Draft)

by ShadowTony1

--------------------------------------------

Chapter 2: The Name

---------------------------------------------

If you want to read Chapter 1, click on this link (or copy paste it): http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work.php?id=11...

Hey guys, if you do not want to read the author’s note then just skip right to the story down below. I really liked the reviews given for Chapter 1, and I’m striving to increase production. I really want my stories to make a BIG impact into YWS, and I really hope you guys help!

I also want to keep my rough copies as I would probably hate myself if I edited them. Do not worry, I’ll make a final copy soon enough, I’ll just leave the rough copy there.

Also, I do not want SO MUCH PRAISE, PRAISE, AND PRAISE. I understand you like the story, you may put that there, but to be honest, I prefer more helpful reviews. I mean, so far, I haven’t received any reviews that gave me how much praise that I said, but it’s just for future reference.

Another thing, priorities for what you should put for reviews.

1. How the story is going, is it too much plot, too much characters, etc
  2. Character development, is there any character development. Like anything that could help the characters future self. I mean it doesn’t have to be all of the chapters, but I think it should be like every 5-10 or so.
  3. Actions of the characters, does it fit the character, or not.
  4. Grammatical mistakes
  5. Comments and what not you think of the story.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO FOLLOW THIS LIST AS IT IS WHAT I PREFER YOU WRITE IT IN THAT ORDER.

Another thing, my irl life is really hard and I who knows when I might be grounded. My parents are pretty strict with studies even though it’s summer, but I’ll try my best NOT to get grounded.

Anyways, ON WITH THE STORY: D

----------------------------------------------

It was dawn already.

“Man,” I thought, “If I were to save the guy, wouldn’t he just double cross me, just like any other criminal?”

I was right in front of the execution building, but I stopped and looked at it. Thinking, I was not sure whether or not I should do it. The man could really help guide me, but he is a criminal, and he could simply escape and just leave me in the dust and have policemen chase me.

Also, another thing was if my sword was enough to handle the policemen. What if the guy with the crossbow shot me? I would probably end up with the man.

I guess it’s ever now or never. I decided to go to the execution room for one reason and the reason stood in my head. The reason was because if I did not save the man, I would probably have no help from anyone else. Even if the man were to double cross me, at least when I die, I have something good to say or laugh about.

I drew my sword and opened the door with extreme caution. I scanned the room to see if there were any hidden guards, but I guess there were not. The building interior had looked something in the middle of a factory and an abandoned hospital. It had a very harsh smelled like rotten fish.

“If there are no guards,” I thought, “Then they must be preparing the execution.”

I quickly dashed with swift feet towards a room. I looked inside, only to see many bones of the previous lives slain. The sight had terrified me, and made my muscles tighten. I nearly vomited due to the cruel sight.

I slowly walked room to room, only to see more bones. I nearly lost my consciousness, when I heard policemen laughing.

“Man,” the policeman said, “Those ‘citizens’ are really dumb!”

“Haha,” the other policeman laughed, “I mean they don’t even know that we’re all part of the dark organization!”

Dark organization? Now that’s something interesting to hear. I drew my sword and slowly went closer towards them.

Suddenly, the policeman turned his head and the other one followed his head immediately.

“Uhh,” I said, “Hello, how are you-.”

I did not get to finish because one of them drew a gun and pointed it into the direction of my numbskull of a head.

“Who are you?” the policeman with a gun asked.

“A person,” I replied.

The policeman seemed annoying and pushed the trigger.

However, everything around me went in slow motion, even the bullet itself. I thought I was dead, until I realized that I was not in slow motion. It was like I was deeply focused on my surroundings.

I dashed towards the back of the men with incredible speed, they still thought I was still at their aim, and everything went back to normal speed. I had both my swords drawn.

“Where did he go?” the policemen asked.

“I don’t know,” the other replied.

That’s when I struck them both in the neck and they both fell unconscious. I probably should’ve hidden them, but it would take much time.

I sprinted as fast as I can, searching for the execution room.

I finally came across a room with a picture of a skull with a sword through it.

“I guess this is it,” I thought for a moment, “There’s no turning back.”

I opened the door and came across at least thirty different faces looking at me. I saw the thief’s face right there the floor, half naked with only pants.

“I’m screwed,” I said allowed.

*******************************

“That was a good job out there, kid,” the thief said sarcastically, while rolling his eyes.

“Well how was I supposed to know that there were that many people in an execution room?”

“Uh, five star criminal here, known to have escaped the execution room so many times, you can’t even count them?”

I sighed. I guess this is it. I lost my only chance of having a guide and blew it. Hard. Here I am in a cell locked with this criminal that takes stuff.

The thief sighed. “At least before you die,” he said, “tell me your name.”

I thought I would’ve forgotten it because of my amnesia, but the name popped up into my head real fast.

“Sapphire,” I said still thinking, “Sapphire Eternal.”

Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:08 am
SkyeWalker wrote a review...

Hello, Zhia here, for a review! This took way too long to be reviewed! so, let's get started, shall we?

First of all, I like the story! You have a good plot going so far, and you express the characters really well. You do a good job with descriptions, your characters are not overpowered, and all that other stuff that I don't really need to say.

Secondly, I don't have much to nitpick, because

1. I really hate nitpicking

2. Timmy already said it all.

Next, what you wanted in your reviews. So I'll go in order.

1. The story is going well, as I said in my first point. And there's not too much plot. everything seems to be going at a pretty good pace. No, there are not too many characters, you only have two, something's telling me that the the thief is going to play a pretty big part in this story.

2. I don't have much to say about this one, it's only the second chapter. But your characters seem to be developing pretty well already. :D

3. The actions of the characters DO fit the characters.

4. Timmy got 'em all. (Ohh, I just noticed one. At the very end, you put "The name popped into my head really fast" You probably meant "The name popped into my head really fast" Correct me if i'm wrong.)

5. Okay, this bit is a little unnecessary for me. The reason why is because I already said it all! :D

Now, This chapter in a nutshell. She is saving someone, gets into a fight with guards, gains some interesting information, gets into a fight with the police (uh-oh), and finds the person she is supposed to be saving. Am I right?

This was an excellent chapter! Thanks for a great read, and have a good day! Hope you found this review helpful,

Zhia

This review was brought to you by Reviewing is the New Black.

Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:26 pm
TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmy here! (as promised. ) :)

So I am going to focus on action and the character in this review, and possibly head on over to some grammar stuff, but not too many. :)

I like the idea behind the novel, and how you express it. The voice of your character is quite rigid and believable, and I love, love that we can see your character's personality through the entire work. Everything he does is a result of thought, and we see why he did that. I believe that is what you are best at, so far.

The first thing I noticed is that your character does a lot of pre-meditation before going to free the criminal, but he doesn't actually state how the criminal would help him! I mean, he goes through and says that the criminal would help him a ton, blah, blah, blah, etc... but he doesn't actually tell the reader why the criminal would help him. That is extremely important, as nothing your character does should be for no reason. Make sure you tell the reader his purpose for everything.

The man could really help guide me, but he is a criminal, and he could simply escape and just leave me in the dust and have policemen chase me.

Woahhh! Hold your horses, buddy. That sentence just went for a ride, there. There are so many different ideas in that sentence, many of them quite good, but they become... drowned in the run-on. So I think you need to re-word the sentence into a new format. Here is an example of what you could do. You don't have to use it--merely a suggestion. :)

The man could really help guide me, but he is a criminal. He could simply escape and just leave me in the dust, policemen chasing after me.

Something similar to that. :D

You have a lot of action in this chapter, but its very fleeting, and doesn't really make an impact. Quite honestly, everything you make your character do in this seems too "easy" and nothing is difficult--no fights are lost, and everything he does turns out just fine after a quick moment of thought and one sentence of action. Spread it out, make everything seem impossibly hard, make him bleed, make him sweat, and then you can make him win in the end--but make sure he had a hard time of it!

I thought, “Then they must be preparing the execution.”

Brilliant deduction, Sherlock Holmes! Make sure your character is confused, lost, and everything doesn't come to them in an easy manner. Make sure that everything doesn't come easily to them, and if they are truly geniuses, make sure they have some hidden weakness that the reader can see.

I quickly dashed with swift feet towards a room

This is an example of redundancy. There are many kinds of redundancy--the repeating of words by accident, (when they don't build an effect but are just repeats) dialogue being used over and over, and another that is more subtle than the other two. (there are more, but I am merely touching on the one's you seem to have in places.)

In that sentence you say quickly dashed and then swift feet. Well, you told us in the first part that you went quickly, right? And you dashed, which tells us by itself that your character ran fast wherever he was going, so you don't need the swift feet because it is only repeating the first part, and you don't need the quickly before dashed, because that does the same thing--repeats without purpose.

You had it perfect with dashed. ;)

how are you-.”

No period is needed there, and because the character stopped short, it is better if you leave it out, because with a period it looks like it was stopped deliberately, while leaving it out shows that the character stopped abruptly. The M-dash works sufficiently for a sentence closure in this case. :D

The policeman seemed annoying

Policemen don't shoot people up because they are annoyed. ;) Give them a big reason, a huge one, something that is monumental and gets them all riled up and anxious to spill his blood on the floor! Make them violently angry--not just annoyed.

I said allowed.

allowed seemed out of place and didn't make sense to me. :(

I said still thinking

Comma after "said"

One thing I noticed is that the reader doesn't really know the reason why Sapphire wants this thief so badly to help (her?). It seems to me as though you are grasping for straws for a reason, but don't know exactly where to go with one--or how to find a reason why she needs this thief. She says that she needs him as a guide? Well, a guide where? If you have mentioned this before, then mention it throughout the story repeatedly, so that your reader is reminded of her reasons.

I think you have a good start to this. Your character is becoming defined, and I absolutely love her name. <3 The atmosphere surrounding your character is very... harsh and evil sounding. I wonder what the entire plot is going to be, and what the policemen meant by "citizens", like they were something other than that...

Arggghh!!! The suspense! I can't take it all!

Great job! Keep me updated!
~Darth Timmyjake

Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:25 pm
ShadowTony1 says...

YES! I finally did the lines right

'Tis the season to shovel enormous amounts of watermelon into your mouth while hunched over the cutting board like a dehydrated vampire that hasn't fed on blood in four hundred years and the only viable substitute is this questionable Christmas-colored fruit.
— Ari11