The Pirate Queen: Chapter 15, Part 2

by TheCrimsonLady

Rosendorn wrote a review...

Hello.

So a few things. I have not read any previous chapters, so I am going to focus on things I notice immediately within this chapter.

First off, I would like to tell you what a corset is: it is a top that constricts you waist and has absolutely no room for anything between the skin and itself, past a thin shirt of fabric to prevent chaffing. A dagger would bend if left in there, and basically be immovable.

The other thing is, as you note, daggers are sharp. This is why they are sheathed even when concealed, because you could accidentally cut yourself by moving or bumping into something. This cut could be anything from "a little blood" to "cutting yourself open and bleeding to death from your own fault". Not to mention blood poisoning from infections is extremely common, and is why hospitals go to such great pains to sterilize everything.

As a result, your first two sentences are extremely impractical if not outright false. I'm going to assume the look you were going for is a bodic, which does not compress the waist and acts more like a vest.

Next up, your syntax. You use one of two sentence formats: [introductory quote], [subject verb object] or [subject verb object]. What I mean by "subject verb object" is, almost every sentence begins with a pronoun, then a verb, then something else. The only time you break that is in something like "After I sheathe my dagger"; most of your introductory quotes begin with either as or after.

This all makes your prose incredibly boring to read. Sentences don't always have to be about a person: they can be about an item, an event, a thought. If you don't include these in your sentences, then you end up with a never ending stream of "I did this. He did that. I did this" which is what you have here.

And finally, that faerie. He seems like a generic evil man with an insane laugh and a desire to hold power over others. I couldn't particularly take him seriously at all because of how flat he was. I've seen these traits before and they tend to be pulled out for no reason at all except to say that a person leans towards the unbalanced.

All in all, you have rough prose and a certain flatness to everything going on. I didn't get any insight into how your characters think, or how they feel, or anything, really. That's something I should be getting every single chapter, regardless of when I pick up reading. The factual inaccuracy doesn't help, as well.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

~Rosey

Thanks for the review! Happy review day :).

Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:10 am
Noelle wrote a review...

Hi there!

Oh gosh, he's a faerie, not a troll. *facepalm*

And remember, if you take too long... I might be forced to send someone after you.

So, I'm a real stickler when it comes to using ellipses. If they're not used right, it really bothers me. I'm not sure why, but that's how it's always been. That being said, I don't think the ellipsis used here is necessary. An ellipsis represents a pause. A pause here in this dialogue just doesn't fit. You can do one of two things here:

1) Omit the ellipsis. This just takes out a bit of the drama that I think you were trying to add with the ellipsis. However, the same idea comes across even without the ellipsis. The faerie is threatening Ari, that's the bottom line.

2) You can take out the part of dialogue after the ellipsis. This would truly add some drama to the situation. The threat would then be open ended, free to Ari's imagination. Now if you do this, make sure to add Ari's reaction to it as well. You can't just have an open threat without a reaction to it.

The same ideas about ellipses can be applied to this piece of dialogue as well:
"Who... did you make a deal with, Arianna?"

Oh thank goodness. I thought the faerie wanted Salian! I was going to get really mad at you if Ari gave him up :P

That ending though. Great ending, seriously. Not only does it fit with both Ari and Salian's personalities, but it gives us yet another thing to think about. Not that we didn't have enough to think/worry about already :P But I am truly left wondering why Salian gave up that easy. I'm banking on the fact that he just loves Ari so much that he's doing this for her. Can you tell that I love them together?? ^_^

One last thing before I go. During this banter with Ari and Salian, Salian says that he's going to go with Ari to see the faerie. Even when she warns him not to, he insists. But then at the end, he doesn't go along with her. What made him change his mind? She didn't threaten to beat him up or something if he came along; she only threatens to steal back her father. It would've been nice to see Salian's change of heart and why he changed his mind.

I can't wait to read more!

**Noelle**

Who says he changes his mind? It will all make sense in the next chapter, I promise.

The chains of habits are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken.
— Warren Buffet