Viaduct.

by retrodisco666

I run my fingers between

the gaps of the red bricks.

They tower above me

into arches which seem

to stretch forever.

The viaduct leaks water,

it drips slowly into the canal

causing faint ripples.

The brown morhen swims blissfully through,

alone, no colourful mate.

The grout sticks to my fingers,

cold and pasty.

I remember your touch.

Those boney, skeletal

fingers wrapped around my hand

with such vigour that I

mistook it for love.

Your kiss,

like the viaduct,

was vast and mighty

and impressive and breathtaking;

but so cold and empty.

Your breath blew through your lips

like the crisp autumn breeze and I

was left alone.

Now I spend my mornings

meandering around these forgotten

fields, with warped memories and

a burning desire to forget you.

But I still find myself back here,

to this spot where you

pushed me against the wall

and kissed me for the very first time.

With burning passions we embraced

until the summer sun burnt away;

and left this red brick viaduct alight.

Milanimo wrote a review...

This poem is great.

It has lots of description and imagery, and the theme is used throughout all parts. Superb job.

Although, I recommend breaking up into another stanza here:

"cold and pasty.

I remember your touch."

This part goes into a completely different piece and although the two are connected, it's a different thought and simply throwing the reader into this is a bit much. Creating a stanza will help signify where your thoughts change easier.

"was left alone.

Now I spend my mornings"

A stanza should also be created here, as this is a shift in time. It also will put the reader off guard if you do not create a stanza here.

Overall, I really enjoyed this poem. The idea of the viaduct was very well thought out and very meaningful. Might I ask your inspiration?

Anyways, great job, and as always, keep writing!

Your breath blew through your lips

like the crisp autumn breeze and I

was left alone.

This poem is solid and surprising up to this poem. I loved the concrete imagery and connection to the viaduct. I loved the surprise of the comparison to a person, the reality of holding a memory of a person in the same place as the memory of a location. I have traveled and loved people in specific places, so it felt real and genuine to place this remembered person in only this place by the viaduct.

Buuuuut~

Now I spend my mornings

meandering around these forgotten

fields, with warped memories and

a burning desire to forget you.

Then I think it got too blunt or too cliche? Something I've heard before -- or no, this is something I already know. I already know by the fact that you're describing the viaduct and this person that you want that person back, that you're moving through the memories, so these four lines waste precious time by repeating what we already know. You can cut them, and we'd have the same feeling.

I guess I also don't like the parts after that because they tell rather than show. They tell me the meeting was passionate. But I didn't see that for myself and so I don't know it. I think you have a really good jumping off point in "left this red brick viaduct alight" -- that definitely shows passion without trying to claim to me that it is passion. So if you could find a way to describe the meeting by showing the passion without pronouncing it, and used this powerful image to bolster it up, you might find you need a different sort of ending. I wonder what it will be. Something stronger and more lasting to make sure this great poem stays with us.

I hope these thoughts are understandable and helpful to you!

PM me or reply to this review if you have any questions/ comments.

Good luck and always keep writing~

Hannah

Sat May 24, 2014 2:28 am
Audy wrote a review...

Retro!

I am super excited about this piece. When we last spoke (or I guess, when I last ventured to your corner of the webs!) I asked for a bit more authenticity and a bit more of an individualized look into your world, and I feel like I got that in this piece. I think it could use a *little* bit more of that, but I feel like this piece is eons, eons, better than the love at first sight one! It is a pleasure to see you writing so regularly, and to see the growth between these pieces that only get better and better.

So! Let me dive into this. I say, you had me for the first 20-lines or so! It was a great scene opener, I dig the imagery, I think could've used a bit more vividness particularly on the tactile-front. I'll explain:

Sight-wise, we've got the red viaduct and the brown morhen, this is rich enough for me, we're square. (I mean, goodness I had to google what a morhen was! What lovely words!) and they really work well together to paint a picture of a particular environment, love those choices. And we even get a little bit sound-wise with the "drips" of the water, and that was enough for me here.

Touch-wise, so the poem opens up "run my fingers" so I wanted a bit more of that tactile element woven in stronger, especially considering the theme of the poem and such lines like "I remember your touch" and "the grout sticks to my fingers." I think you can enhance this tactile sensation further, so like when you have lines like "I run my fingers between the gaps of the red bricks", how would such a line play out from the point of view of the finger?

Rough, uneven bricks, dusty, crumbling pieces that cling to any space or empty gap between your prints, trying to fill them in. do you see how viewing it at this angle manages to become a metaphor for the love described in the poem?

A great way to strengthen a piece and really make it polish is to highlight things in just the right places so as to develop multiple things at once, in this case, your theme! Just as you open up the theme with touch, it also becomes the climax of this piece, it was her skeletal hand wrapped around the speaker's that he mistook for love: This is all touch! This is ALSO the internal conflict moment and where the emotions are going to pick up for the speaker. You lose the touch element from there up to the end, I might suggest to bring it back to tie this piece together better, and also, I think if you look at enhancing the tactile elements, it would strongly improve this.

Granted, the progression of this isn't necessarily bad as it is right now, it's just not altogether interesting. The beginning -- very interesting! The conflict - very interesting!

Your kiss,

like the viaduct,

was vast and mighty

and impressive and breathtaking;

but so cold and empty.

Not so interesting. I don't buy that comparison of the kiss/viaduct. I think it's an unorthodox comparison and I think that it could be genius because I would've never thought to compare a bridge to a kiss, but you've not helped us bridge that gap. The speaker says that the viaduct is mighty and impressive, red, also cold and empty. But a firetruck is all of those things. A red train is mighty and impressive. So is a red car. What about the viaduct is her kiss, moreso than all of those things?

Was the kiss mechanical, just going through routine motions?

Did it stand its own, years and years afterwards (and so a past-tense rewrite might help this idea)

Did that kiss cross the speaker over to a different world, the way bridges generally connect two places? ...Ahhhh. There's an idea. Run with it, or give me more, or make up some of your own!

I hope this helps! Overall, I found this piece a delight to read, and a great spark of imagination to boot. It just needs a bit of polishing on the crafting. If you have any questions or want to chat this one up, you know where to find me!

~ as always, Audy

I'm getting nachos~
— BluesClues