z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Sick

by thebrightestfell


Author's Note: To be honest I wasn't sure what to post first so I decided on this little thing I penned a year or two ago while I was struggling with emotional and physical sickness. So yeah--have at it I guess.

Feeling right or feeling wrong?

Which is the sickness?

So accustomed to the wrongness,

The rightness seems wrong.

In Heaven or in Hell?

Such is the question.

Most the first, many the second,

But some remain in between.

Black or white?

Neither is chosen.

Even the sky colors itself gray.

In this, lost and found come together;

And we all remain ill.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
46 Reviews


Points: 335
Reviews: 46

Donate
Fri May 09, 2014 4:55 pm
BitterRosemary says...



LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSS
Hey BitterRosemary here for a review!! Let's get started.
As you can see above, I really like this poem. It's a unique & strong concept, well conveyed and well written. Good message. Well done
`bitter






Thank you Bitter! I'm glad you enjoyed it and felt the message was conveyed properly. :)



User avatar
1334 Reviews


Points: 25864
Reviews: 1334

Donate
Fri May 09, 2014 2:32 pm
Hannah wrote a review...



Hey! I wanted to say that your author's note was the main thing that made me able to make sense of this poem.Without it, it wouldn't have had the same clarity and effect that it did, so I would suggest maybe trying to work some of that into the actual text of the poem. I'm not sure how. Maybe you'll just always need the author's not. Or maybe you could work it as a stronger title? Sick isn't really doing much for the poem. A good friend once told me to think of the title as an extra line of the poem. It can open up extra meanings and put new twists, or just elucidate information you can't fit in otherwise, so maybe that will work for you!

I also like the idea of feeling right v. feeling wrong, and which one is the sickness. I think it's the strongest part of the poem, maybe because it was the natural juxtaposition that inspired you to try the other ones (heaven v. hell, black v white). It seems more genuine than the later sections. I don't think it needs to be so heavily explored though. The explanation "So accustomed to the wrongness,/ The rightness seems wrong" just kind of spells it out for the reader, but the reason we're reading is to think and engage, so don't make it too easy for us.

I guess all in all I'd like to see a more concrete exploration of the feelings of sickness instead of looking down on it from a distance, from above, like the vague philosophical language in this poem does. There is a natural philosophy in the conflict between right v. wrong feeling, but I think you might try to explore it more with feet firmly on the ground instead of flying away with it -- it might help to get more readers engaged!

I hope this made sense. (: PM me or leave a comment on the review if you have any questions or want to talk more.

Good luck and keep writing!

Hannah






Thanks so much Hannah for your review. I'm also extremely grateful that it was long and well-thought out! :)

I completely agree with your friend and have been looking for a title for this poem for ages. Names are extremely important to me and it bums me out that I still haven't found a "proper" one for this little thing. But then again I'm glad you pointed it out because not only does it reinforce that idea but encourages me to really look into it and to find a good one.

Also, your last paragraph rather intrigued me and now I have something to consider. You ask for a more concrete exploration and honestly that never occurred to me as I had intended this to be "from a distance" with "vague philosophical language" so it's interesting to me that you caught that...but asked for more. So now I have an opportunity to expand this poem that I never thought to expand.

Once again thank you for your in-depth review and thank you for your honesty and for giving me things to consider. Perhaps not too long from now I will edit and post a revision of this (it won't be called Sick ;) ) you can take pride in helping push me towards.



Hannah says...


I'm glad I could help you out! Let me know whenever you need another review! :D



User avatar
42 Reviews


Points: 100
Reviews: 42

Donate
Fri May 09, 2014 1:47 pm
ElectraHeart wrote a review...



Sarai here for a review!

So I really enjoyed this poem, it has a nice flow and is an easy read. But maybe you could italicize the questions so the readers put emphasis on the questions.


Feeling right or feeling wrong?

Which is the sickness?

So accustomed to the wrongness,

The rightness seems wrong.

In Heaven or in Hell?

Such is the question.

Most the first, many the second,

But some remain in between.

Black or white?

Neither is chosen.

Even the sky colors itself gray.

In this, lost and found come together;

And we all remain ill.






Thank you for your review and I'm glad you enjoyed it! Also I thank you for the idea about italicizing as I'll definitely have to look into that since I believe I am going to revise this and possibly add on! :)




There has never been a sadness not cured by breakfast food.
— Ron, Parks & Rec